Sign in to follow this  
Super Cubs

The more I think about it Mario Williams...

He was the best choice to be made by the Texans with the pick. The guy is huge 6'7 almost 300 lbs. Much like Yao he needs time to take his game to the next level. I don't really look for to much out of him this season but how many rookies make a impact their first year. Honestly I don't think he'll be a superstar play maker but a force or anchor that will make the Texans defense as a whole that much better.

But that 2002 Nba draft SUCKEd.

The only 2 to come out of that and become superstars are Amare and Tayshaun.

Anyways, back to football.

Mario is a monster indeed, but not #1 pick worthy.

As much as I don't buy in to the Bush hype, I have to admit that Bush will make some sort of impact in every play that he plays. I don't think I can say the same about Mario.

Even if Mario becomes one of the best DEs in the league like Peppers, Rice, or J Taylor, the Texans will still be rememebered for passing up on a superstunna like Bush.

The Texans should have taken Bush if they knew DD was in such bad shape.

Exactly. I don't think they would think twice about putting DD on IR if they had drafted Reggie. Then he would actually be worth where he is going in drafts.

Even with a bad D though, Bush puts butts in the seats, makes ESPN come to the house, and puts your team on sportscenter. Williams isn't going to do that anytime soon.

with bush at least u would have sold more tickets and got more tv time....

i said houston should have picked local boy vince young and build the team around him...but thats just me...

you know what else puts arses in seats?

Winning.

The Texans have a guy who believes in "system backs" like Denver.

Build an O-line, build a D and get a decent QB - you'll get a run game with whoever you've got to toss in there.

The reason they passed on Bush is easy: Denver's system success.

From a marketing standpoint it's terrible...from a team building standpoint, RBs come along every year, while elite DL don't.

HTH

i dont care how good a DE is, you dont take him over an impact RB...EVAH :unsure: Lets use this example, 2 HOF players...say Bruce Smith and Barry Sanders, who would you rather have to start a team?

How does drafting a defensive end translate into winning? He cant protect Carr, he cant score TDs, he cant get first downs, sh*t, he'll be lucky to even register a sack in half the games this year.

i dont care what kind of system you have, a great RB will just do that much better in a great system

I'm not putting Bush in the HOF yet, but this was possibly one of the worst picks Ive ever seen in the NFL draft.

time will tell. i think people saying the texans screwed up by not drafting bush are simply guessing. we don't know that. mario could turn into the next reggie white and bush may turn into the next warrick dunn.

let's give it a year or two before declaring the move stupid or brilliant.

Negative! With the Texans` "Broncos`Junior" offense, there are lots of running backs that can be plugged in with satisfactory results. The Texans were in greater need of a strong pass rusher than they were of a running back. No doubt Reggie Bush is a supurb player, but with the defense the Texans put on the field last year, ten Reggie Bushs wouldn`t be enough to win games.

Maybe they have their eyes on next years stud running back coming out called Adrian Peterson. This guy won't have to split carries cause he can handle the load!

Think about the quarterbacks in the AFC south. You have Manning, Leftwich, and now Young. Manning is already a stud and leftwich and young could eventually be pro bowlers. They needed a DL that could sack these guys for the next 10 - 15 years. No matter what numbers that bush had in a game against the colts as a Texan, manning's would always be greater with a sh itty Texan D.

I really think that when the "free house in LA for camp Reggie" news broke just before the draft, and the way camp Reggie handled it, may have been part of the draft day senario we saw go down... Maybe the Texans thought it would blow up bigtime, where as N.O. had nothing to lose after the season and conditions at home they had just endured...

I could be off on this, but maybe that whole "usc story" and it's timing, scared off the Texans a bit... MB

I thought the obvious choice was D'Brick. Anyone that watched that team over the last couple years saw that they had some good offensive weapons in place but they were stuck in neutral because the 5 turnstyles in front of them.

He was the best choice to be made by the Texans with the pick. The guy is huge 6'7 almost 300 lbs. Much like Yao he needs time to take his game to the next level. I don't really look for to much out of him this season but how many rookies make a impact their first year. Honestly I don't think he'll be a superstar play maker but a force or anchor that will make the Texans defense as a whole that much better.
if you don't think he'll be a superstar playmaker then it was an awful pick

i dont care how good a DE is, you dont take him over an impact RB...EVAH :wall: Lets use this example, 2 HOF players...say Bruce Smith and Barry Sanders, who would you rather have to start a team?

Bruce Smith. Real life football is nothing like fantasy football.

Bruce Smith. Real life football is nothing like fantasy football.

thats your opinion and you're entitled to it. But, i dont take A DE over a RB to start a team. Maybe an OL, but never a DE. And thats real life, Fantasy, or Autralian Rules

thats your opinion and you're entitled to it. But, i dont take A DE over a RB to start a team. Maybe an OL, but never a DE. And thats real life, Fantasy, or Autralian Rules

Because offenses do the flashy thing called scoring, defenses are usually overlooked by most people. Defenses win championships, and offenses sell the tickets.

Because offenses do the flashy thing called scoring, defenses are usually overlooked by most people. Defenses win championships, and offenses sell the tickets.

Agreed, and im not overlooking that fact, but how many rings did the Bills & Bruce get? As many as the Lions.

I know we're on opposite sides of the fence here and will never agree, but thats my opinion. Give me 800 Mil, tell me I have the 33rd NFL team and the #1 pick, and i take a superstar RB

Agreed, and im not overlooking that fact, but how many rings did the Bills & Bruce get? As many as the Lions.

I know we're on opposite sides of the fence here and will never agree, but thats my opinion. Give me 800 Mil, tell me I have the 33rd NFL team and the #1 pick, and i take a superstar RB

I would go with a stud QB myself. A good solid RB would be easy to aquire in the later rounds.

I've watched nearly every Texans game since day 1 and I

wanted them to draft Williams or Ferguson.

A top lineman can give you 10+ years of solid play.

Good RBs on average give you about 4 productive years.

And FWIW for the championship argument... the player with the most SB rings is Charles Haley.

I've watched nearly every Texans game since day 1 and I

wanted them to draft Williams or Ferguson.

A top lineman can give you 10+ years of solid play.

Good RBs on average give you about 4 productive years.

And FWIW for the championship argument... the player with the most SB rings is Charles Haley.

Well Stated. I live in Raleigh and I work for a studio in Raleigh. We had Mario in 3 or 4 times just a few days before the draft. This guy is money when it comes to brains and braun...the man is a freakin monster. I brought my boys to the studio that day so he could autograph their helmets and footballs. He did so without even batting an eye and made small talk with them, which made them almost an instant fan of the Texans! This guy will represent this team well...he is a complete team player with a good head on his shoulders.....I'm not sure you can say that about Reggie.

I felt it was the right move for the Texans. There's no guarantees for either player, but given the NFL life expectancy of those positions, and you'll most likely get more servicable years out of Williams.

The 2006 Luckiest Man in the NFL Award goes to........David Carr. He still bites and with the Bush frenzy no one seems to care that Houston did not trade down and go out and grab Young, Leinart or Cutler

i dont care how good a DE is, you dont take him over an impact RB...EVAH :first: Lets use this example, 2 HOF players...say Bruce Smith and Barry Sanders, who would you rather have to start a team?

How does drafting a defensive end translate into winning?

Unless I'm missing some well-disguised irony, it takes a special kind of stupid to use the examples you did. Bruce Smith went to four Super Bowls, Barry Sanders went to about four playoff games total.

i dont care how good a DE is, you dont take him over an impact RB...EVAH wall.gif Lets use this example, 2 HOF players...say Bruce Smith and Barry Sanders, who would you rather have to start a team?

How does drafting a defensive end translate into winning? He cant protect Carr, he cant score TDs, he cant get first downs, sh*t, he'll be lucky to even register a sack in half the games this year.

i dont care what kind of system you have, a great RB will just do that much better in a great system

I'm not putting Bush in the HOF yet, but this was possibly one of the worst picks Ive ever seen in the NFL draft.

The NFL does not live in the fantasy world, or the hall of fame world, for that matter. Much of the battle is fought on the line. Teams are built around their lines. Have a poor D-line that can't pressure the QB or stop the run, and your opponents are going to run up the score like no tomorrow. Have a porous O-line, and no matter how flashy your back's dance moves are, you're going to suffer.

The goal of the NFL draft, as opposed to the fantasy draft, is to lay the groundwork for the future of your team. The Texans had DD, they have Morency and Wally-of-the-dancing-banana-icon. But they're a new team with lots of needs, some more pressing than others. I think if they want to build a solid foundation for future success, they have to start at the lines.

Reggie Bush scores touchdowns and gets first downs, but he does not get 42 points a game on his lonesome, which is what other teams will be running up on the Texans if they neglect their defensive needs for the sake of scoring a PR coup.

If you want to talk about a ridiculous pick, how about Vince Young at #3 instead of Matt Leinart or Jay Cutler for the Titans?

you know what else puts arses in seats?

Winning.

The Texans have a guy who believes in "system backs" like Denver.

Build an O-line, build a D and get a decent QB - you'll get a run game with whoever you've got to toss in there.

The reason they passed on Bush is easy: Denver's system success.

From a marketing standpoint it's terrible...from a team building standpoint, RBs come along every year, while elite DL don't.

HTH

Winner. Kubiak is Denver version 2.0.

I thought the obvious choice was D'Brick. Anyone that watched that team over the last couple years saw that they had some good offensive weapons in place but they were stuck in neutral because the 5 turnstyles in front of them.

Agreed - I posted as much here...that the Texans should really have dealt down to pick Fergusen and let someone who wanted Bush pay to get him.

That's my only isssue with the pick - they focked up the value of it. I have no problem with them passing up Reggie Bush. The place I think they blew it was in not getting any value for him. It may not have been possible at the time, but somehow I think they coulda done a little bit to profit off of not taking him.

Thank you for posting an opinion on this bored that is thought out and makes sense. A real rarity at this point around here.

Thank you for posting an opinion on this bored that is thought out and makes sense. A real rarity at this point around here.

hey! my post was thought out and made sense. :dunno:

Fact: With Reggie Bush starting, I'd tune in for almost any Texans game.

Fact: With their current team, I couldn't give a crap about watching one of the worst teams in the league. if I want to see crappy football, I can watch my 9ers stink up the joint.

With Reggie Bush starting, the Texans would have been assured more MNF games in future years.

Agreed - I posted as much here...that the Texans should really have dealt down to pick Fergusen and let someone who wanted Bush pay to get him.

That's my only isssue with the pick - they focked up the value of it. I have no problem with them passing up Reggie Bush. The place I think they blew it was in not getting any value for him. It may not have been possible at the time, but somehow I think they coulda done a little bit to profit off of not taking him.

This opinion is also well thought, and also happens to be my opinion of the Texans situation. So in that case it deserves :doublethumbsup:

Fact: With Reggie Bush starting, I'd tune in for almost any Texans game.

Fact: With their current team, I couldn't give a crap about watching one of the worst teams in the league. if I want to see crappy football, I can watch my 9ers stink up the joint.

With Reggie Bush starting, the Texans would have been assured more MNF games in future years.

This made me laugh at loud.

As football-scooter can account for, this really doesn't do a whole lot for your team (having a stud RB that everyone wants to see). I'm sure that the Texans are far more interested in getting their team turned around for the better instead of getting on MNF. Kubiak will build the D and the O-line (like he should) and everything else will fall into place. Davis was expected to be the man going into camp. He passed the physical going into camp, remember. Lundy and Morency will do a good job for them in that offense.

Offense sells tickets, Defense wins championships.

I really think casserly shopped the pick but couldn't get any deal

done with TEN, NY or NO. The way the picks were lined up hurt

their ability to deal and they didn't want to drop below 4th.

And whoever said it... I missed the quote, Carr doesn't suck

as a QB. When you've spent more time on your back than

Paris Hilton it's hard to have good stats.

Think about how smart the average person is. Half the world is dumber than that.

I am glad to see a few fans can still distinguish between real football and fantasy football. Just in case anyone's missed it, the Broncos are #1 in wins, scoring, and offensive yardage for the past 10 years (Shanahan/Kubiak era). Aside from Portis, I really don't recall them taking a back all that high in the draft. They thought so much of Portis after back-to-back 1500-yd seasons that they traded him for a defensive player.

Something tells me the team's going to be alright. And Scooter's absolutely right - winning is what draws fans in. Flashy superstars might do so for a short while, but winning keeps them there.

winning is what draws fans in. Flashy superstars might do so for a short while, but winning keeps them there.

well put.

I had a similar discussion with my buds after the draft....Trent Dilfer came up - the question was which would you prefer - to watch flashy offense (Colts) or get the ring (Ravens)?

Every one of us said we'd rather our team won the Superbowl.

Yeah, the Niners glory years had exciting offenses...Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Clark, Young, etc, etc....but people forget just how amazingly good those Niners defenses were through the glory years. Ronnie Lott is a legend to Niner fans - easily as important as Rice to those teams, IMO.

Same with Cowboys, Raiders, Steelers - every dynasty team and perenial contender was built on a top defense. Even the Rams superbowl team was a phenominal defensive team - totally underrated because of the "greatest show on turf".

And the 85 Bears and 2001 Ravens did it solely with defense...:pointstosky:

if you don't think he'll be a superstar playmaker then it was an awful pick

I may have worded that wrong. Its not that he's not going to be a playmaker as much as he will be the guy the offense is zoning in on not to make the plays. Opening things up for the rest of the team. If that makes sence.