Sign in to follow this  
jdizel

Why is everyone so high on Ben Watson?

He's never had a big year, he's unproven, and whether or not Branch plays Brady will still spread the ball around. He might be decent this year, BUT to compare him to Gates, Gonzalez, Shockey, and the other top TE's in the league is outrageous. He's not even the #1 TE on the Patriots depth chart, he's listed as #2.

http://www.patriots.com/depthchart.cfm

I'll try. He's got sick athletic ability, is on a team with no #1 WR, he has one of the top 3 passers in the league. That's about all I got but I had him ranked 5th and one of my buddies picked him 3 spots ahead of where I was gonna grab him.

i believe graham is more of a blocking T.E. and with all the turnover in regards to the wrs in NE, Watson has the best rapport with Brady. That's what everyone is banking on.... :thumbsdown: I think i'm going to drink the kool-aid for the first week and see what comes of it, my other te is mcmichael so i obviously didn't spend a high pick on the position and i don't have to start him over my "stud" te

He's never had a big year, he's unproven, and whether or not Branch plays Brady will still spread the ball around. He might be decent this year, BUT to compare him to Gates, Gonzalez, Shockey, and the other top TE's in the league is outrageous. He's not even the #1 TE on the Patriots depth chart, he's listed as #2.

Boston Globe report off of Yahoo.

Sep 6 Mike Reiss, of the Boston Globe, reports New England Patriots QB Tom Brady believes he and TE Benjamin Watson will likely be able to build solid chemistry in the absence of WR Deion Branch (holdout). "Ben probably gets more opportunity than anyone else," Brady said. "He's really a focal point of the passing game, because of the way he's stepped up his level of play the last season. Ben and I have definitely grown a lot this past year. He's taking great strides. I'm excited to see the kind of year he could have. He could be a real dominant player."

Everyone knows that if Tom Brady says it, then it has to be true. :thumbsdown:

Tony Gonzalez?

In 2005 Gonzo had 2 Td's, compared to Watson's 4. Gonzo is what was.

Ben will be top 5, write it down.

So everyone is so hyped up about T.J. Houshyourmama...

Why not get on board with:

Ben Watsomeathis?

He will absolutely be a top 5 tight end, I don't agree with some of the A. Gates comparisons, but he will be right up ther with Shockey, Witten, Crumpler, Heap and so on! and up until the last week or so, you could get him at a rock bottom bargain price!

He's a great play in week 1. No Deion Branch and Watson going against a rookie corner. He should be Brady's top receiver with at least 80 yds and a TD.

First off ... I will FREELY admit that I am a NE fan so my view is slightly schewed.....

Last year he impressed me with his speed and he seemed to pick up the routes well. And like the previous poster said ... Ask Champ Bailey about his speed.

But what really makes me high on him this year .... is well ... He is basically our #1 TE/WR because we don't have a true #1 reciever

Seriously, it's about time we officially stripped Jevon Kearse of his nickname and transferred it to Watson. The real 'Freak' is 6-3 and 253 pounds, runs a 4.43 40, benches 535 pounds, and has a 40-inch vertical. What? Oh, and he aced the Wonderlic. There's more good news: With Deion Branch out, Watson becomes Tom Brady's primary target. In fact, there's talk of him lining up at wide receiver on some downs.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/...articleid=25017

:doublethumbsup:

He'll be lucky to get 500 yds and 5 TDs. WRITE IT DOWN!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, he probably won't get much more than that...by midseason.

Stop thinking about this guy as a "tight end". True it is his position, but when you combine his size with his tremendous speed and pass catching abilities, I think of him as the new age receiver. Especially considering that that is what the Patriots need him to be this year.

As for the type of person he is...I interviewed Ben when he was a senior at UGA. I walked away not only impressed by his size and his determination as an athlete, but by his character as a human being.

You can throw around whatever numbers you want about his fantasy worth, but he will be a star in this league starting this season, both on and off the field. Write that down!

He had 441 yards and 4 TD last year coming off a major knee injury and only started 9 games. He missed all of his rookie year with the injury, so last year was basically his first year.

The fact that Branch is gone, he is older and improved, Brady likes him, and will now start every game... I just dont see how he would be "Lucky" to get 500 yards and 5 TD's

I drafted Watson in all of my 3 leagues.

He may not be a 10-TD monster like Gates, but he won't be far behind. And I don't like the Patriots at all.

He'll be a Top 5 TE when this season is over. I'm hoping for No 2.

Go, Niners!

What I will write down, right here in this thread, is that you're an idiot.

Come on, dude. You obviously like fantasy football- what is it about Watson that you don't get?

Because we know things you don't. :banana:

He's a young, big, fast guy with good hands in an offense that uses TEs a lot in the passing game, particularly in the red zone.

Looking at their TEs last season as a group (including Vrabel) they had 12 TDs. With Watson maturing and Graham resigned to a blocking role, he's going to get a lot of red zone and third down looks.

What's not to like, particularrly with Branch out?

I dont know. He has a ton of talent and is very fast BUT i traded him and E Johnson TE away for Gonzo last week. I wish him the best.. :banana:

People are high on T.J. Housh because he scores a lot of TDs and he racks up a bunch of yards.

But other than that i hear he's got body odor and he doesn't pay his taxes on time -- so you don't have to be high on him.

I'd also love to add Watson -- my league combines WR/TEs, so he's on the wire -- i just have no roster spot open and pretty good receivers as it is (Chambers, TJ (big suprise), Hines & DJax).

I just need to make a swap so i don't need so many handcuff youngsters to back up two of the geezer RBs i have on the roster (Dillon & T. Jones) -- there is something to be said for youth in FF and while i like my team, i have a lot of thrirtysomethings.

Ask Champ Bailey. :banana:

that's exactly what i'm talking about.

jdizel, watson ran down champ bailey in the patriots loss to denver in last years playoffs. ben watson, 6-3, 255lbs., ran down champ bailey, 6-0, 192, while bailey was running 100 yards and watson was running like 130 yards. did you see that play? the dude is hungry, he's a beast, watch him play and you won't question him. he's got great hands and tom brady loves him.

yeah, he's not antonio gates or other "proven" guys, but you also acquire him later in drafts. also, if you spend all of your fantasy career taking proven guys, you'll have a hard time winning a championship...breakout seasons win titles.

Ask Champ Bailey. :doublethumbsup:

that's exactly what i'm talking about.

jdizel, watson ran down champ bailey in the patriots loss to denver in last years playoffs. ben watson, 6-3, 255lbs., ran down champ bailey, 6-0, 192, while bailey was running 100 yards and watson was running like 130 yards. did you see that play? the dude is hungry, he's a beast, watch him play and you won't question him. he's got great hands and tom brady loves him.

yeah, he's not antonio gates or other "proven" guys, but you also acquire him later in drafts. also, if you spend all of your fantasy career taking proven guys, you'll have a hard time winning a championship...breakout seasons win titles.

Ladies, ladies...... No need to get your panties in a bunch.

The guy will be good, but Top 5 status I highly doubt. To name a few he will not out perform: Gates, Shockey, Gonzo, Witten, and Heap. Top 10 is likely, but top 5.... come on lets get real. Don't just support the guy because you drafted him.

:cheers:

:lol: :sleep: ..... :wacko:

The guy will be good, but Top 5 status I highly doubt. To name a few he will not out perform: Gates, Shockey, Gonzo, Witten, and Heap. Top 10 is likely, but top 5.... come on lets get real. Don't just support the guy because you drafted him.

:cheers: :lol: ..... :wacko:

:sleep:

:cheers: :lol: ..... :wacko:

I felt there were like 12-13 TEs that I could be pretty pleased with this year...I ended up with H. Miller in all three just cause he was there after everyone else had a TE. My one draft fock up was not realizing Watson was on the board when I final picked a TE in my league with all the HS buddies. :sleep:

This will be bumped and laughed at numerious times this year............WRITE IT DOWN!!! ;)

This will be bumped and laughed at numerious times this year............WRITE IT DOWN!!! ;)

Bump..... :lol: :lol:

Wait, isn't he #2 and on the :bench: while graham is #1 and on the field....

Bump... :lol:

:ninja: :sleep: ..... ;)

Is there one person here that drafted him higher than the guys above?

Bump..... :mad: :mad:

Wait, isn't he #2 and on the :doublethumbsup: while graham is #1 and on the field....

Bump... :lol:

Is there one person here that drafted him higher than the guys above?

First off, Watson is the #1 TE on the Pats. If you get your depth chart on the Pats from NFL.com, then you are dumb or naive. Pick one.

Watson is going to have a breakout season for all of the reasons above. As far as who he is better than on that list.

Gates - No

Shockey - Could be

Gonzo - Probably

Heap - definitely

Witten - absolutely

Not sure what you are looking for, but if you don't agree, then stay away from him or trade him away. Otherwise, you are asking questions and then closing your eyes and ears.

He is probably the most athletic tight end in the league(see him running down one of the quickest CB's in the NFL who had a ten yard head start), has excellent hands, solid blocker, and the main reason, who the fock else is Brady gonna throw the rock to?

This will be bumped and laughed at numerious times this year............WRITE IT DOWN!!! :doublethumbsup:

I took him before Shockey and Witten. It's Ben's time.

I drafted Watson. Was actually aiming for McMichael, but he was taken too early, IMO.

C'mon Branch ... go to the Jets! Win/Win for me! I drafted Branch too!

Also have DJax ... so Branch to Seattle is not quite as good as to the Jets.

Branch to the Jets!

:doublethumbsup: