Sign in to follow this  
hellothere

Spinoff: Which State is the most important to the US?

Which State is the most important to the US?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Which State is most important?

• California
    • Florida
    • New York
    • Texas

Which of those state's is least expendible?

It has to be Texas, due to the oil deposits and being the center of the nation's energy industry.

This nation would plod along just fine without Florida or New York. California ranks because it has so many focking people.

But this nation would be crippled without Texas.

New York is the financial center of the world. They have 7% of the nation's population, and I would guess that in excess of 10% of the federal income tax dollars come from New York residents. Think about the impact that would have on the US government. New York Stock Exchange. Gone. Wall Street, financial center of the world, gone. New York's gross state product is in excess of $750 billion . That's the 7th largest economy in the world (behind California, incidentally). It's also among the top 5 states in a number of different agricultural products: dairy, some fruits, some veggies. New York has some of the finest private schools, and 3 of the nation's best schools: Cornell, Columbia, NYU.

Texas is a fine state, with an equally large gross national product, similar population, similar federal spending, but it's littered with illegal immigrants and 16% of its residents are below the poverty line. This number increases every day, mind you. Granted, it is the energy capital of the United States but a good kick in the rear ("losing" Texas) is precisely what we need in order to adopt a new energy policy that reduces our reliance on foreign oil. On those grounds, I'd rather keep New York.

I'll flaunt my ignorance here: is there significant oil IN Texas or do they get it primarily from the gulf. Because, um, Texas doesn't own the gulf.

It wouldn't matter. George Bush would declare war on the Gulf of Mexico. He'd host a presidental address from an oil rig in front of a banner that said "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED (seriously this time)." The Louisiana insurgency would put up a good fight, but Bush would just create another hurricane and bomb the levees for good measure. It's a proven model of success.

Hahaha, absolutely classic.

Only on FFToday do you see people claiming the armpit of America is most important.

Newsflash Voltaire, according to the rest of America the mid-west is an absolute crapper. I was born and spent half my life there so I know better then to believe this sack of rocks.

:thumbsup:

People who live within an hour's drive of an ocean suck. The silver lining of polar ice caps melting is that assmegs who live near the ocean will be flooded out.

I'll flaunt my ignorance here: is there significant oil IN Texas or do they get it primarily from the gulf. Because, um, Texas doesn't own the gulf.

Yes there is significant amounts of oil in Texas. I believe Texas has a little over 20% of all US oil reserves followed closely by Alaska. Texas also has the most natural gas reserves of any other State. The reserves in the gulf are listed seperately. That being said, for tax purposes rigs and pipelines within 10 miles of the coast are considered to be in Texas I assume the same is true for the reserves.

i'm going to have to say..that texas shouldn't be in this discussion..don't get me wrong..it's nice that so many of you live there..and i'm sure the steers are real friendly..but cows does not equal importance..yee-ha!

i'm going to have to say..that texas shouldn't be in this discussion..don't get me wrong..it's nice that so many of you live there..and i'm sure the steers are real friendly..but cows does not equal importance..yee-ha!

California "the land of fruits and nuts" and Florida "the land where old people go to die" should not be in this discussion.

And eventhough the single thing New York produces more than anyone else is rats it is still the most important followed by Texas.

The most important state is Louisiana, at least until the President finishes paying for the hurricanes he caused there.

California "the land of fruits and nuts" and Florida "the land where old people go to die" should not be in this discussion.

And eventhough the single thing New York produces more than anyone else is rats it is still the most important followed by Texas.

i agree that texas is not as important as new york..anad that florida also shouldn't be in this discussion.

CALIFORNIA! :thumbsdown:

I'd be more inclined to vote for California if all the rich fockers there weren't all moving up here to Montana all the time. If Cali is so great, why are you coming here?

'cause they already focked up Colorado. Where do you think the term "Californication" came from??

state of confusion :(

'cause they already focked up Colorado. Where do you think the term "Californication" came from??

It came from Oregon.

Imagine your life without wheat and barley? Not pleasant is it. Kansas!

Much like a cack, it's not the size of your economy, but what you do with it. CA does nothing important, and without spending on Waterworld and Spiderman, would probably fall to #20 on GDP. New York has, what, 1 whole city? NY is important b/c it is 'bait' for terrorist. Texas is the most important

The argument that NY is important b/c it has a huge percentage of banks / stock markets / traders, etc. is specious. If NY blew up today, all of those things can and would very quickly be relocated to another location. We lost the WTC and most of those ops were up and running elsewhere in weeks (or sometimes, days).

So, you have to look at things like ports and natural resources. I'd give Texas the edge over Cali just b/c Texas can grow most of the crops that Cali can - but Cali can't pump oil it doesn't have. Also, Texas has almost twice the area that Cali has - meaning it can/could grow more food and house more people / industries than Cali.