Sign in to follow this  
tony hardware

Is India the only place that does Tech Support?

I've recently called customer service and tech support on numerous occasions for credit cards, a laptop and an internet service provider. Every time I call I get a voice CLEARLY of Indian decent. And each time the person tells me their name is "Richard", "Elizabeth" and I even got a "John Smith." Now, I got to school with a lot of Indians and none of them have names like Richard, Elizabeth or John Smith. They're all Samir, Sidarth, Pashtel and other things like that. So tell me, please God why don't they just tell me their real name instead of hiding behind this corporate perception phoney name crap. I feel awkward talking to a person in India about my problems, even though they are probably the one's who put the thing together. Whatever happened to the days when you would get sweet Julie from Kentucky for service on your laptop or bank account.

They do the American name, like Richard or John Smith...to make it easier for you dude. When I call someone from Software Support from my company, it even ends up with an Indian dude. But they usually say "Hello, my name is Shinda Garishnu (Or whatever), but you can call me Bob...how may I help you"...

It's so you don't spend ten minutes on the phone trying to figure out how to say his focking name

my company has approx 200 employees. 100 of them are located in Indian. When anyone calls the helpdesk, the call is answered in Indian. if they can't fix whatever it is, then it goes to the next level in India. If they can't fix it, then it comes to America.

Damn these outsourcing bastards!! Damn them to hell!!!! :dunno: :banana:

I'm amazed at the response I get from India IT; I'll get a call at 3PM PDT about my problem, I'm like wtf time is it there? :wall:

You lazy American IT bastages better get cracking...

There is a TON of outsourcing being done in India. There are even some McDonald's that have someone from India taking your order in the drive thru. No sh!t. There will be more and more of it.

They are even starting to train Indians on how to duplicate different American accents. There are some now that are Indian, but sound American.

An interesting book on the subject is "The World is Flat." Check it out sometime.

Tech Suppport calls are focking expensive. I had to do some internal analysis on it for management and came up with some interesting facts:

(I work for a major Computer company who merged in the last 3 years with another :clap: Notebook division)

1. 60% of tech calls are SW related. Focking Microsoft gets free tech support on the HW companies' dime.

2. Another 20% are complete dumbazzes. I.E. "How do I set up the internet?" <_<

3. Remaining 20% are "ours", but typically major fault related to 3th party HW such as the CPU, HDD, ODD or memory. We do not build these, they come from Intel, Toshiba, LG, etc. The actual amount of calls you could directly blame on us is usually less than 10%.

Average call costs us $75 if US tech support, regardless of fault found. About half of that for Indai support.

Everyone in the division had to sit in on 4 hours worth of customer calls so we can get a feel for what level of customer care our service guys are using, or what types of probelms are common. There are some people out there who are seriously stupid.

In our case, If you are pizzed about Surindar from Bombay answering your call, get angry at either Microsuck (who rely on us for much of their calls) or the complete idiots who drive up the call rates, forcing us to either charge more for warranty coverage or outsource to save costs.