Sign in to follow this  
Ravens 03

Free the Birds!

Orioles protesters walk out on team

Nearly a thousand fans participate in demonstration targeted at owner Peter Angelos

By David Ginsburg The Associated Press

Originally published September 21, 2006, 8:02 PM EDT

Nearly a thousand disgruntled Orioles fans walked out of Baltimore's game against Detroit en masse on Thursday, culminating a demonstration aimed at team owner Peter Angelos.

A majority of the protesters wore black T-shirts that read "FREE THE BIRDS," and many carried signs that had "For Pete's Sake" on one side and "Free the Birds" on the other.

They filled parts of six sections in the upper deck, then walked out in the middle of the fourth inning at precisely 5:08 p.m.--in honor of former Oriole stars Brooks Robinson (No. 5) and Cal Ripken (No. 8).

The group walked in line through the lower deck before departing.

Baltimore is in the midst of its club-record ninth consecutive losing season, all of them under the leadership of Angelos, who gained control of the franchise in 1993.

Read complete story here!!!!!

They were very loud, Jay Gibbons said it was the loudest he has heard the crowd at Camden. I was actually surprised at Angelos' reaction, the guy is usually calm and logical when dealing with the media, but he went off on the fans. NEvertheless, it's time for him to sell, and the fans know it.

sell it to what end? as long as the sox and yankees are allowed in this ridiculously unfair system

that is baseball to spend 2 and 3 times more....baltimore will never win. Is there a

buyer out there who will lose 50 to 100 million of his own money each year just to make the

orioles a winner? I'll chance a NO on that.

how bout a cap of 90 million and a floor of 50?

how bout putting ALL players, including japanese, thru a draft?

how bout equally sharing all major sources of revenue like the NFL?

how bout eliminating guaranteed contracts?

if the players don't like it, fockem let em strike

sell it to what end? as long as the sox and yankees are allowed in this ridiculously unfair system

that is baseball to spend 2 and 3 times more....baltimore will never win. Is there a

buyer out there who will lose 50 to 100 million of his own money each year just to make the

orioles a winner? I'll chance a NO on that.

how bout a cap of 90 million and a floor of 50?

how bout putting ALL players, including japanese, thru a draft?

how bout equally sharing all major sources of revenue like the NFL?

how bout eliminating guaranteed contracts?

if the players don't like it, fockem let em strike

The Marlins have a really strong team this year with a 15 million dollar payroll. I bet Tejada makes 15 million over 1.5 seasons. The Marlins do it by scouting other systems players and then stealing them. The Red Sox traded Hanley Ramirez and Anibel Sanchez to the Marlins for Mike Lowell and Josh Beckett. What happens? Sanchez pitches the first no-no in two years and Beckett gives up the most HRs in MLB.

Don't blame the system, blame management. Orioles have some good young players. Chris Ray, Daniel Cabrera (minus the walks), Bedard, Penn (needs time), Markakis. They won't always have losing seasons, but it will be tough to compete in the AL East even with Toronto now in the mix.

Regardless, I enjoyed my visit to Oriole Park at Camden Yards. I didn't like parking in the ghetto though.

the marlins success with this unfair system is ruining it for others..

the big teams like to point to them and say see? it works..and down there..it has..they have been more successful than any other team in baseball in the past 10 years...

i could do without baseball for a year to have it come back with a cap like hockey has...

people whined about the hockey cap..but they have raised the cap..and players and teams got money back..it works..revenue is way up..

baseball only THINKS that they are successfull..they arent...

football ratings were down last year and Tagliabue still turned that into a record tv deal...the nfl is still king..

I was wondering what that was. I'm trying to listen to the game on the radio and all I could hear was BRAH BRAH BRAH! BRAH BRAH BRAH!

Still no Millen man march though

You can only blame economic disparities so much. Teams with lower payrolls than the O's have at least been competitive.

You can only blame economic disparities so much. Teams with lower payrolls than the O's have at least been competitive.

So, the Twins and the A's should just be happy that they get to go to the playoffs sometimes, right? :blink:

And the Rockies, Royals, Brewers, and Pirates should just try to be like the Twins and A's and maybe get there once every decade or so? :blink:

That's logic any small town fan can agree with.

Nothing teaches a sports team owner a more serious lesson than 1,000 people buying tickets.

actually next season when people refuse to renew their season tickets then he'll see the true impact of the demonstration...

So, the Twins and the A's should just be happy that they get to go to the playoffs sometimes, right? :blink:

And the Rockies, Royals, Brewers, and Pirates should just try to be like the Twins and A's and maybe get there once every decade or so? :blink:

That's logic any small town fan can agree with.

Not at all. I'm a Brewer fan, so I hate the current system with a passion. A hard cap and full revenue sharing would make me very happy.

But in any market, if you're losing 9 seasons in a row, it can't all be blamed on that.

actually next season when people refuse to renew their season tickets then he'll see the true impact of the demonstration...

That's been going on for a while.

And the introduction of DC's Nationals didn't help either.