Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

Help me help my daughter

:clap: :thumbsup: :mad:

RULES JERRY, RULES

It's pretty clear there's been an error made in this question. No way they expect a third grader to come up with this.

It's pretty clear there's been an error made in this question. No way they expect a third grader to come up with this.

Seriously. How does this help the child think/learn? Just tests whose parents know more smart people.

Seriously. How does this help the child think/learn? Just tests whose parents know more smart people.

Clearly I am failing that test by posting this here... :banana:

Seriously, how can you question how this helps a child? You should have seen us brainstorming on different options yesterday. The learning is in the process IMO, moreso than a correct answer. We'll laugh about it later if it is a typo and the answer is "plane."

Clearly I am failing that test by posting this here... :banana:

Seriously, how can you question how this helps a child? You should have seen us brainstorming on different options yesterday. The learning is in the process IMO, moreso than a correct answer. We'll laugh about it later if it is a typo and the answer is "plane."

The child's objective should be to answer every question to the best of their ability. Giving a child a homework problem that could take 4 hours is NOT good for the child's educational development. I was in an advanced program in 4th and 5th grade and my teacher gave us similar BS like this, although usually not as useless. There were nights where I spent 5 or 6 hours on homework in ELEMENTARY school because the answer was, "It was a trick question. There are no..." I hated school.

If the teacher wants to do that in class and give the kids 10 minutes to think about it and then tell them the answer, so be it. But that's a bush league homework question that contributes very little to your daughter's education. There are about a million more useful assignments that would take less time.

The child's objective should be to answer every question to the best of their ability. Giving a child a homework problem that could take 4 hours is NOT good for the child's educational development. I was in an advanced program in 4th and 5th grade and my teacher gave us similar BS like this, although usually not as useless. There were nights where I spent 5 or 6 hours on homework in ELEMENTARY school because the answer was, "It was a trick question. There are no..." I hated school.

If the teacher wants to do that in class and give the kids 10 minutes to think about it and then tell them the answer, so be it. But that's a bush league homework question that contributes very little to your daughter's education. There are about a million more useful assignments that would take less time.

:clap:

Lighten up Francis. She did not spend 4 hours on it. Much closer to the 10 minutes. It is probably a mistake in the worksheet which has been pointed out numerous times in this thread. And which my daughter and I discussed as a possibility. She gets a weekly homework packet which I'm trying to get her in the habit of doing a little each night. Total it probably takes less than 4 hours.

:(

She did not spend 4 hours on it. Much closer to the 10 minutes.

So she learned to give up on something after 10 minutes of trying. That's a good lesson. :first:

So she learned to give up on something after 10 minutes of trying. That's a good lesson. :clap:

If she is lucky she'll ultimately hate school and grow into a bitter person who types useless posts on a message bored. :first:

If she is lucky she'll ultimately hate school and grow into a person who types useless posts on a message bored. :first:

You've been an excellent role model thus far :clap:

There were nights where I spent 5 or 6 hours on homework in ELEMENTARY school because the answer was, "It was a trick question. There are no..." I hated school.

:first:

You've been an excellent role model thus far :P

Sorry, I didn't hate school. And my posts are all quality. :)

Sorry, I didn't hate school. And my posts are all quality. :)

You'll note that I removed 'bitter' from your original post :P

You'll note that I removed 'bitter' from your original post :dunno:

You'll note that I did not address "bitter" in my response. Sheesh, with all of that skooling and all... :(

You'll note that I did not address "bitter" in my response. Sheesh, with all of that skooling and all... :bench:

:banana: See my point? I learned nothing from all those useless assignments without an answer. Good thing I've been able to get by in life on good looks alone. :shocking:

I've got it!

:shocking: PLANE :banana:

:wall: See my point? I learned nothing from all those useless assignments without an answer. Good thing I've been able to get by in life on good looks alone. :cry:

Don't forget the huge cack and tons of money. :thumbsup:

Whatever you do....

Don't ask Blitzen's kid. This amazing 6 year old will answer you in one of the two fluent languages he knows and will question God while doing it.

:lol: Nothing? :argue:

maybe its Plane with a capital p... It doesen't go below the line, and its lower case is short?

Is the teacher asian? It could be a clane

No, but good guess. :banana:

*UPDATE* my daughter forgot to ask the teacher about this today. I gave her my meaniest stern daddy face and asked her to remember tomorrow. I'll keep you apprised.

This makes me feel like an FFT veteran. Remember the question from before, don't remember the answer either :doh: