Sign in to follow this  
What is the deal?

Westbrook owner

Today the Westbrook owner who I play announced that he is going out of town and wants people to insert Duece McAllister into his line-up if Westbrook is declared inactive.

Obviously, this shouldn't be the way it works. The Eagles play in the later games this weekend and he should have to make a decision on if he is starting at noon.

This is what I don't freakin understand. Some fokin people take FF way tooo seriously. I have absolutely no problem with his request especially since he's asking with plenty of notice. So he has to go outa town. No big whoop. Maybe he has no access to internet where he is at? What if he has to leave becaue of an emergency or something.

He probably asked politely and you should help him out. If the table's were turned, wouldn't you want someone looking out for you?

Man I don't know how many times I've called my commish of my league (11 years) and asked to make changes or look out for my team because of "life" circumstances.

Once again, get outa your dark room, take a walk and smell the roses. As fun (and at times lucrative) as FF can be, that's all it is...fantasy.

:thumbsup:

Thats not the way it works unless they play the same time. If he has Buckhalter or another running back going at 4pm or SUnday or Minday night then OK. But to take a guy who already played . That dont sound right. I dont know many leagues or any I have been in that allow that.

Now maybe a league that is family and all just friends maybe its a consideration but alot of leagues its big money and your barley know some of the guys.

I have heard people say before its only fantasy football dont take it seriously. But i dont understand that . I play softball , its not a profesional and sure it means nothing to anyone but I want to win and defeat the other team and if they showed up with players not on the team list or something like that too bad . You Forfiet. We play to win . I take FF as seriosuly as I take most of the things I do in my life. Its a game played for Money (most leagues) . One of my leagues the winner gets $1,500. some leagues pay lots more.

If he is asking someone to insert McAllister in the game if Westbrook is declared inactive prior to the rosters being locked, then where is the problem? If he is asking it to happen after rosters are locked, then that is not right.

So if your rosters are locked at noon, then he would have to make the decision then, which may not happen after he is declared in or out of the game. That would be tough luck. Is that what you are saying?

I have been out of town before and asked the commish to switch a player effective at the time that I called. I have not asked anyone to mind my roster for me.

This is what I don't freakin understand. Some fokin people take FF way tooo seriously. I have absolutely no problem with his request especially since he's asking with plenty of notice. So he has to go outa town. No big whoop. Maybe he has no access to internet where he is at? What if he has to leave becaue of an emergency or something.

He probably asked politely and you should help him out. If the table's were turned, wouldn't you want someone looking out for you?

Man I don't know how many times I've called my commish of my league (11 years) and asked to make changes or look out for my team because of "life" circumstances.

Once again, get outa your dark room, take a walk and smell the roses. As fun (and at times lucrative) as FF can be, that's all it is...fantasy.

:unsure:

AMEN!

Today the Westbrook owner who I play announced that he is going out of town and wants people to insert Duece McAllister into his line-up if Westbrook is declared inactive.

Obviously, this shouldn't be the way it works. The Eagles play in the later games this weekend and he should have to make a decision on if he is starting at noon.

This guy is an idiot because if Westbrook is a game time decision it will be to late to insert McAllister. I would send an email out explaining this so everyone understands this in advance.

:unsure:

I agree. Being the commish, I've done this for guys before. In this case, I obviously wouldn't substitute Deuce after he's already played, but I would insert him for this guy if Westbrook is declared out prior to the Saint's game.

i would hustle..and get over there and punch him the face in front of his face and kids....

do it soon...hes leaving town....

If I was in his situation, I would just start Deuce.

Highly unlikely the BWB plays and even if he does, Deuce will likely outscore him anyway.

He's probably a minority - and they are being racist.

:pointstosky: :unsure:

Just want to redefine my position.

I think its ok to have the commish insert a guy who has not played yet or a guy who plays on Sunday night or Monday night. We do that all the time in all my leagues. i did it last week with Wesrbrook (I had told the commish and the other Owner if Westbrook did not play I will insert Buck) but I couldnt go back and take Kevin Jones and say i have him now. I would have won if I did that .

We had a similar situation this weekend. Heres how it played out.

Guy I played had Chris Henry in his lineup. At 4 pm we find out Henry is suspended. We have a rule that if you have someone on the bench at the same time you can use him but this guys has all his other guys on byes and has no bench for recievers. So I call him and he is not home. sent emails . That was it . got a zero.

We couldnt just pick someone up for him. It was his responsiblily to read the reports that morning that Henry might now play and atleast get a back up on his bench. I still lost to him so no biggie .

thanks for everyone's responses. I have been in a war on the message board. Turns out most of the league is with me- we wouldn't have a problem if there was someone playing at the same time or later than Westbrook, but in this case we cannot go back and change his line-up after the early games have already started. This is no different than if a guy is playing on Monday night...

Buckhalter and Moats are both on the wire in this league (salary cap). He'd almost have to drop Duece to pick one of those guys up. That's the consequences he faces I guess...

At first I was in agreement that he should only be able to be subbed for a guy starting at the same time or later.

Then I started to think about it. Usually what happens is the owner is sitting there watching the start of the game to see if his guy is playing and if his guy does not start the game he subs in a guy who is also just starting or is starting later.

The idea being that at the time of the sub decision the stats have already happened for the other players who started earlier so you obviously can't sub in a guy you know got big stats. In this case, however, he is declaring his sub before any games have been played so he does not have any real advantage here.

I think it is actually a good idea to make this change in my league.

If a guy is questionable to play a game you allow the owner to declare a sub prior to Sunday no matter when the sub plays. That way no owner gets burned like I did with Westbrook on Monday and the owner gets to start his best backup if he plays earlier. I think most owners would like to have this option and as long as the sub is declared before any games start I don't see the harm.

I think I will talk with my owners and see if they like the "Westbrook Rule". Any opinions?

Nothing wrong with this as long as the change is made before either plays. Otherwise, SOL. I do it a couple times a year for guys in my league. However, they know they are taking the risk that I may not find out that someone is benched/inactive.

If he is asking someone to insert McAllister in the game if Westbrook is declared inactive prior to the rosters being locked, then where is the problem? If he is asking it to happen after rosters are locked, then that is not right.

:angry:

If I were in his situation, I wouldn't place the responsibility of my team on someone else. If I'm heading out of town, and I'm not certain Westbrook is going to play, I'm benching him for McAllister and hoping I made the right choice.

Of course in this case, Westbrook is playing a late game, and lineups should be locked in by then.

:angry:

People who make comments like this are people who also have stuff going on in there lives but wanna claim to be a diehard fantasy player. I would be Mad as all heck if some dude was watching somebody else's fantasy team. Im in a baseball Fantasy league as well. Go married this summer and went on my honeymoon. The night before the wedding I planned out what Roster gives me the best shot without me changing it. I set my roster and didnt have a great week. I did alright, but I wasnt calling my friends and crying about "I have no internet. . .Is Pedro going to start against the Phillies???" "If so start him". This is fantasy football my friend. This is why you stay up and mock draft till 4am the night before your draft. This is why you watched pre-season football. Some people dont have the luxury of going home to wives and kids and this is all they have!!!!!!!!!!! So advantage them! I hate when people take the easy way out. Roll the dice, if you dont think westbrook is starting, DONT PLAY HIM!!!!!

Of course in this case, Westbrook is playing a late game, and lineups should be locked in by then.

Not all leagues lock lineups at the start of the first game. Ours locks each player individually 5 minutes before the start their respective games.

Like others have said, this is real real simple. The fact of calling in your moves to a commissioner is no big deal at all, in fact that's how it was before the electronic age. If they both had same game times, then it's ok. If the one he wants to substitute has already played, then logically speaking he couldn't do it, even if he was in town.

Case closed, nothing more to argue.

:bench:

I agree. Unless the league specifically states by kickoff of the first games (which doesn't make a lot of sense to do), I think it's a courtesy given the notice and specific direction given. This is a game/hobby, it's generally a good idea to keep it that way--otherwise it ruins the fun...

Not all leagues lock lineups at the start of the first game. Ours locks each player individually 5 minutes before the start their respective games.

If that is the case in this league that's being discussed, then it's not an unreasonable request to the commissioner. Of course, New Orleans plays at 1 and Philadelphia at 4, so one way or another a decision has to be made before 1.

People who make comments like this are people who also have stuff going on in there lives but wanna claim to be a diehard fantasy player. I would be Mad as all heck if some dude was watching somebody else's fantasy team. Im in a baseball Fantasy league as well. Go married this summer and went on my honeymoon. The night before the wedding I planned out what Roster gives me the best shot without me changing it. I set my roster and didnt have a great week. I did alright, but I wasnt calling my friends and crying about "I have no internet. . .Is Pedro going to start against the Phillies???" "If so start him". This is fantasy football my friend. This is why you stay up and mock draft till 4am the night before your draft. This is why you watched pre-season football. Some people dont have the luxury of going home to wives and kids and this is all they have!!!!!!!!!!! So advantage them! I hate when people take the easy way out. Roll the dice, if you dont think westbrook is starting, DONT PLAY HIM!!!!!

I love beating guys like this...they dedicate so much of their lives to fantasy football and then to still lose to somebody with a normal life must be frustrating.

Mock drafting until 4am the night before your draft? I admire the dedication - but that would be too much for me.

:thumbsdown:

BRAVO.

Some People are complete A-Holes. The guy has a life and asks for one change to be made. Obviously he is not going to be around an internet connection so he asks for one thing and some people are making it out like he has some hidden agenda.

I say if you did not do it then the guy should ask for his money back and spit in the commishs face if not more.

Assuming the Saints play the early games, then you're right. You should just respond and say so. I dont' see how anyone could disgree with you. Now if he had Buckhalter or Moats and asked for one of them to be subbed in if it's announced Westbrook is out 10 minutes before kickoff, I wouldn't see any problem with his request. It could be any RB he wanted in that plays a late game, not just Buckhalter or Moats.

:blink:

:banana:

If he wants someone to adjust his lineup big deal. As long as it is before the games start then no harm done. I'm not so sure about this insert after the games have started action though.

friends > money

If he wants someone to adjust his lineup big deal. As long as it is before the games start then no harm done

friends > money

true, but the risk in drafting Westbrook was knowing his injury history.

IMO, it wouldn't be a big deal if McAllister and Westbrook were playing at the same time. I wouldn't have a problem with it, but in this case it's later in the day. Are rules specifically state rosters lock 5 min for that players game. Well once McAllister starts playing, he is no longer eligible to be switched into the starting line-up. It's as simple as that.

Some of the responses for this simple issue crack me up. Mostly the people trying to justify that it should be able to happen. I am guessing they are all Westbrook owners...

BTW, this is a friendly league and everyone gets along very well, but we do talk some serious smack on the boreds..

The league vote so far is 7-1 that this dude shouldn't be able to do this. So it's pretty much settled...

That is allowed in my league. Reason why is if Westbrook was in his lineup at 4pm and didnt play he would be short a guy. 7vs8 isnt fair. Tell the league what your plan is before the first game of the week and you are locked into that decision. If Westbrook doesnt play he uses Dueces stats. I did this once and the guy didnt play Monday night and I was stuck w/ Dillon putting up 2 points for me.

true, but the risk in drafting Westbrook was knowing his injury history.

IMO, it wouldn't be a big deal if McAllister and Westbrook were playing at the same time. I wouldn't have a problem with it, but in this case it's later in the day. Are rules specifically state rosters lock 5 min for that players game. Well once McAllister starts playing, he is no longer eligible to be switched into the starting line-up. It's as simple as that.

Some of the responses for this simple issue crack me up. Mostly the people trying to justify that it should be able to happen. I am guessing they are all Westbrook owners...

I think there might be some confusion in all of these responses. I believe anybody supportnig the request to have the commissioner switch McAllister in if Westbrook is declared are assuming this would ONLY be done before McAllister plays. Once the Saints game starts McAllister is either starting for this guy or he is not - no more changes. The people saying it should not be allowed are either jackasses or are assuming that the guy wants the commissioner to make a switch if Westbrook is out even if that decision is announced AFTER McAllister is already playing.

I don't think anybody on this board is supporting the idea of switching Westbrook out for McAllister after McAllister has already started. It is only if an announcement comes out before the 1:00 games that I assume this guy wants the switch made (otherwise he is a moron).

Can't we all just get along?

BTW, this is a friendly league and everyone gets along very well, but we do talk some serious smack on the boreds..

The league vote so far is 7-1 that this dude shouldn't be able to do this. So it's pretty much settled...

Happily i'm not a Westbrook owner.

Also if you guys get along so well then why is it 7-1 that he cant do it? Seems like only one guy is a true good friend while the rest are just poor excuses.

I think there might be some confusion in all of these responses. I believe anybody supportnig the request to have the commissioner switch McAllister in if Westbrook is declared are assuming this would ONLY be done before McAllister plays. Once the Saints game starts McAllister is either starting for this guy or he is not - no more changes. The people saying it should not be allowed are either jackasses or are assuming that the guy wants the commissioner to make a switch if Westbrook is out even if that decision is announced AFTER McAllister is already playing.

I don't think anybody on this board is supporting the idea of switching Westbrook out for McAllister after McAllister has already started. It is only if an announcement comes out before the 1:00 games that I assume this guy wants the switch made (otherwise he is a moron).

Can't we all just get along?

Why not give all owners this option though?

You draft a good team and have good depth but the time you might need them because your stud RB might not play on the Monday night makes them worthless in this situation. Why not change your rules and let owners designate a replacement BEFORE SUNDAY for a guy who may not start. The owner gains no advantage except for the fact that he can use his backups for what they are meant to be used for.

Then after the games have been played if his starter didn't play his replacements #'s are used.

I see this as an option all owners would love to have and use frequently.

For all the owner knows the guy he designated as the replacement for his starter could end up getting 2 points.

Happily i'm not a Westbrook owner.

Also if you guys get along so well then why is it 7-1 that he cant do it? Seems like only one guy is a true good friend while the rest are just poor excuses.

:thumbsdown:

the one vote was from the Westbrook owner. :wacko:

I'm not sure you are from the same planet as me :dunno:

My friends and I are tougher on each other than we are on random folks. We take our fantasy football league seriously and that's just the way it is amongst us...

Why not give all owners this option though?

You draft a good team and have good depth but the time you might need them because your stud RB might not play on the Monday night makes them worthless in this situation. Why not change your rules and let owners designate a replacement BEFORE SUNDAY for a guy who may not start. The owner gains no advantage except for the fact that he can use his backups for what they are meant to be used for.

Then after the games have been played if his starter didn't play his replacements #'s are used.

I see this as an option all owners would love to have and use frequently.

For all the owner knows the guy he designated as the replacement for his starter could end up getting 2 points.

I don't have a problem with the rule you described - it actually sounds kind of cool. I just don't know of many leagues that have that rule so I am assuming most people that are speaking on this topic are not considering your scenario.

I don't think what was being requested was described very well, which makes it seem that people do not agree.

Here is the deal that needs to occur. Owner A has Westbrook and McAllister. If during the normal course of your weekend, Owner A has the ability to change which one of those guys is playing (either before all games start or before the first guy's game starts), then he should be able to do it.

If he wants to decide which player is playing at a point later than anyone else would have had that opportunity, then he is breaking the rules and should not be allowed to. Friends or no friends, you have to have rules.

Let me boil it down to this ----- If this guy is asking you (or anyone else) to make the change at a time that he would not be able to make the change himself, then he is asking to cheat.

I have it set up so that my wife can get on the computer and switch in a guy for me. I need to do this when I go to a Patriots game and I find out last minute that a guy is out.

Obviously what's happening here is that the owner thinks that prior to Deuce playing, it will be known if Westbrook is going to play.

I don't have a problem with the rule you described - it actually sounds kind of cool. I just don't know of many leagues that have that rule so I am assuming most people that are speaking on this topic are not considering your scenario.

We do that in our league as well. If there's a chance a guy won't play we just put a quick note on the message board before any games start that we're slashing player X with player Y. If player x doesn't play at all then the commish goes in and puts player Y into the starting line-up. Removes any of the bullsh!t of trying to figure out the games some NFL teams seem to play with their injury classifications. Since its done before any games start it doesn't matter what time their games are.