Sign in to follow this  
NewbieJr

Barry Bonds- What happens to him next year?

He obviously won't get near the 20 million he made this past year.

He will certainly break Aaron's home run record if he plays.

1) Will he be willing to play for 1/4 the money he's used to playing for, and

2) Will a team be willing to put up with the distractions, in exchange for the publicity, of the home run chase?

Thoughts?

Whats his contract status? I would imagine both he and any AL team would jump at the chance to have him at DH. And when I say jump, I mean: :unsure:. Fark, bring him to the sox. Ortiz can play first every day.

He'll play. He'll get paid. He's Barry Bonds. If TO can get a contract with his distractions, Barry can.

He will be playing for the Texas Rangers.

1. They need a DH

2. He wouldn't have to play a lick of defense

3. That home run porch in right field is perfect for him in the launching pad that is Ameriquest Field.

4. He's be a great fit @ #3 or #4 in the order. He would be perfect sandwiched in between Michael Young and Mark Texiera in order.

5. He would put some much needed butts in the seats and instantly boost attendance.

6. Hicks can afford him.

Hopefully his internal organs suddently shut down, machines will keep him alive, he lives out his days paralyzed in a hospital, developing bed sores, regretting his decision to use steroids.

1. They need a DH

3. That home run porch in right field is perfect for him in the launching pad that is Ameriquest Field.

4. He's be a great fit @ #3 or #4 in the order. He would be perfect sandwiched in between Michael Young and Mark Texiera in order.

5. He would put some much needed butts in the seats and instantly boost attendance.

6. Hicks can afford him.

Good argument. Carlos Lee is a FA? Right?

I can't see him playing anywhere other than San Fran.

The whole steroid thing is pretty quite now. It's funny Merriman tests positive and no one cares, Bonds has never tested positive and the whole world had a comment. I'm not saying he didn't do steroids, but you see my point.

I'm not sure another team wants to deal with the circus of him chasing Aaron. Maybe some team desperate to have attention will sign him? :pointstosky:

1. They need a DH

4. He's be a great fit @ #3 or #4 in the order. He would be perfect sandwiched in between Michael Young and Mark Texiera in order. 5. He would put some much needed butts in the seats and instantly boost attendance.

6. Hicks can afford him.

Well, the thing you have to take into consideration is the rapid decline in his output.

He went from being a .362 hitter with 45 Hrs and 101 RBI's in 2004, to missing all but 14 games in 2005 with injuries, to a .270 hitter with 26 HRs and 77 RBIs.

At that rate of decline, what's the best you can expect next year? .245-.250? 15-20 HRs?

5-8 million (which is what Peter Gammons expects he'll want), is a lot to pay for those numbers. Especially if it's only going to be DH numbers.

Good argument. Carlos Lee is a FA? Right?

Yeah, he filed the other day. Not sure how much cash Bonds is going to want. I've heard somewhere in the $14M range. I'd give it to him for 1 season. You'll get that back in attendance and publicity when he breaks the record. Plus, people forget that he's still a game changer. The Rangers would win more games with him as well.

Well, the thing you have to take into consideration is the rapid decline in his output.

He went from being a .362 hitter with 45 Hrs and 101 RBI's in 2004, to missing all but 14 games in 2005 with injuries, to a .270 hitter with 26 HRs and 77 RBIs.

At that rate of decline, what's the best you can expect next year? .245-.250? 15-20 HRs?

5-8 million (which is what Peter Gammons expects he'll want), is a lot to pay for those numbers. Especially if it's only going to be DH numbers.

5-8 million is a lot? are you sh!tting me? All the revenue he'll bring in from chasing down Aaron?

How much did Bagwell get paid last year again? :mad:

His OBP was still .454 and he still drew 115 walks in 130 games. Any team could use a guy who gets on base.

5-8 million is a lot? are you sh!tting me? All the revenue he'll bring in from chasing down Aaron?

How much did Bagwell get paid last year again? :rolleyes:

How much more revenue do you expect it will bring? A few thousand more fans for the tying and record breaking games? Unless he's still in San Fran, I don't think it will be a huge thing that a lot of fans will be excited about. It'll cause huge debates on talk radio stations and on messageboards, but I belkieve it will be more of a sign of disgrace for MLB than anything else.

I agree with you that he'll resign with the Giants. I don't know if he has any relationship with Boche or not, but at least the Giants are used to dealing with the publicity that surrounds Bonds.

It would be greta if all the owners got together and agreed to not sign him.

St. Paul Saints could use him.

yeah great. While they're at it, why don't they decide not to pay any player more than 1,000,000 dollars per year? :rolleyes:

Did Bagwell sign a new contract last year?

Would anyone have signed him for 1 dollar? :rolleyes:

Carl Pavano signed a new contract 2 years ago for 8 million per. What's he done? :mad:

His OBP was still .454 and he still drew 115 walks in 130 games. Any team could use a guy who gets on base.

I know, but the walk totals are generally proportionate to production. As his skills erode and his production declines, so do the walk totals.

Hopefully a bus falls on his head randomly as his is walking along.