Sign in to follow this  
Jokinomx

Who should the Lions Pick in the draft?

I personally think they need to take Brady Quinn or Troy Smith ... then trade for proven OFFENSIVE LINEMEN who can actually protect the QB.

Will it matter? Probably not... but... the Tigers turned it around in two years.... so I can't give up hoping that the Lions could do the same.

Just my Humble Opinion...

:ninja:

some interesting scouting things i've been reading say that had quinn came out for the 2006 draft he would have been taken ahead of leinart and culter--and possibly #1.

*if* his status doesn't drop in the postseason workouts (injury, drugs, whatever) and he's rated the best overall prospect in the draft, i think the lions have to take him. sit him on the bench for a year and let kitna take another pounding next year with the hope of turning it over to quinn in 2008.

regardless, i think when the smoke clears quinn and peterson will be the hands-down top-2 prospects in the draft.

I really think it will be an obvious pick(hopefully, you never know with the Lions). Quinn and ND may have been overrated this year, but, he has all the ability to become the next great QB in the NFL, and is easily the best prospect in the draft. I think if KJ can get healthy and STAY healthy, he will have a great year, he was on pace to have a solid season if he hadn't got injured, so, i think they can let Peterson slid.

I agree with letting Kitna start next year, and then maybe when you are 2-10, start letting him get some playing time, and maybe play near a full game or two near the end. Hopefully he'll be set to go in 2008.

BTW, it should be noted that Troy Smith is not considered a top pro prospect, i would be very suprised to see him go in the top 15, and will likely be an end of the 1st/start of the 2nd type of guy. He is short for a QB and don't have great arm strength. If he hadn't of had such an incredible senior year, he wouldn't of even been drafted, he is very smart and accurate and great in the clutch, and that alone should put him in or near the 1st round.

Trade for multiples......and don't draft a WR! How is C. Rog and Mike Williams doing with their plans on moving to Canada?

tigers were turned around in 2 years? i disagree...

i would say 4..they had to draft the pitching they have now...trade for guys like ordonez..get irod...

but yes..with leyland and a healthy ordonez..it was a quick turnaround..the tigers also added casey and others...

the lions arent that far off anymore..especially if they can draft a QB, sign michael turner at rb...and marcus robinson at wr..get willie roaf to come back and play the line again...

but they need ron wolf at gm..they need to believe in their GM..wolf will make mistakes also..but the team and city will still trust his moves...millen would be a loser in our ff leagues, let alone being a real gm..

They might as well wait until next year to draft a QB.

They passed on a great QB class last year and this year's is a dud. Brady Quinn, is not going to live up this hype. He only has great numbers when Notre Dame plays crappy teams.

They will inevitably suck again next year, so why not just wait? They should just trade down and get someone like Paul Posluzsny...or just pick Peterson.

BTW, it should be noted that Troy Smith is not considered a top pro prospect, i would be very suprised to see him go in the top 15, and will likely be an end of the 1st/start of the 2nd type of guy. He is short for a QB and don't have great arm strength. If he hadn't of had such an incredible senior year, he wouldn't of even been drafted, he is very smart and accurate and great in the clutch, and that alone should put him in or near the 1st round.

It is always interesting to hear the experts say someone is to small... or not strong enough... One that comes to mind is Doug Flutie. He became (in my opinion) a great QB even though he did not have all the qualities that the experts say is needed....

I could name others... but I really think that Troy Smith may be one of these type of players. I don't disagree that he has a real team around him... but he has played equal to his team.... the best in the U.S..

Anyway.... I hope as many here have stated, that the Lions draft whoever the most wanted player is and trade him for OL and other picks.

Thanks for your thoughts... as a life long Lion fan... all we have is hope.:-)

i would say 4..they had to draft the pitching they have now...trade for guys like ordonez..get irod...

but yes..with leyland and a healthy ordonez..it was a quick turnaround..the tigers also added casey and others...

the lions arent that far off anymore..especially if they can draft a QB, sign michael turner at rb...and marcus robinson at wr..get willie roaf to come back and play the line again...

but they need ron wolf at gm..they need to believe in their GM..wolf will make mistakes also..but the team and city will still trust his moves...millen would be a loser in our ff leagues, let alone being a real gm..

Yeah your correct... but you have to admit... looking at the number of wins they had in 2004 and now in 2006.... it was a two year turn around. The changes made...Pudge being the first.... started the change.... the final piece of the puzzle...Leland coming back to Detriot.....

I think the Lions are actually a better team than they were last year or the year before... they lost a lot of very close games this year.... and at times the offense moved the ball very well.... what surprized me was the defense actually took a step backwards.... something that was improving the last couple of years.

Anyway.... spring training is only a couple of months away... :pointstosky:

They might as well wait until next year to draft a QB.

They passed on a great QB class last year and this year's is a dud. Brady Quinn, is not going to live up this hype. He only has great numbers when Notre Dame plays crappy teams.

They will inevitably suck again next year, so why not just wait? They should just trade down and get someone like Paul Posluzsny...or just pick Peterson.

again, the consensus with the scouts is that quinn would have been the #1 qb taken ahead of leinart and cutler had he come out last year. it's not me saying it, it's the scouts. not sure where you're getting your info but until further notice i listen to the scouting services.

and what games did quinn tank this year? he had 35 tds and 5 ints...he must have been doing something right. he had 274/3tds and 74 on the ground against usc...he did have 3 picks against michigan (and also 3 tds).

i'm trying to find scouting reports that bash the guy, but i can't at this point. they all seem to indicate he's a franchise qb prospect. they also say he's tough and durable, that he delivers the ball and takes the hit well.

i do see a few people here, like you, making a blanket statement about him sucking. but most of the time those posters provide little data or insight other than "he blows, he's overrated." :pointstosky:

It is always interesting to hear the experts say someone is to small... or not strong enough... One that comes to mind is Doug Flutie. He became (in my opinion) a great QB even though he did not have all the qualities that the experts say is needed....

I could name others... but I really think that Troy Smith may be one of these type of players. I don't disagree that he has a real team around him... but he has played equal to his team.... the best in the U.S..

Anyway.... I hope as many here have stated, that the Lions draft whoever the most wanted player is and trade him for OL and other picks.

Thanks for your thoughts... as a life long Lion fan... all we have is hope.:-)

Yeah your correct... but you have to admit... looking at the number of wins they had in 2004 and now in 2006.... it was a two year turn around. The changes made...Pudge being the first.... started the change.... the final piece of the puzzle...Leland coming back to Detriot.....

I think the Lions are actually a better team than they were last year or the year before... they lost a lot of very close games this year.... and at times the offense moved the ball very well.... what surprized me was the defense actually took a step backwards.... something that was improving the last couple of years.

Anyway.... spring training is only a couple of months away... :dunno:

i think the lions regressed this year. i don't think this team was better than the team mooch put on the field last year or the year before. they were a little more exciting on offense, but 2 wins is 2 wins is 2 wins. mooch had 3x as many wins in any one of his years.

there's no way to sugarcoat a 2-win season.

actually...it took the tigers 13 years to turn it around.

but, okay, let's look at it this way: when did dombrowski come to town? 2001. so the correct answer is 5.

Joe Thomas and then when they suck next year they can take Jake Long. It's just obvious that you need a strong O-Line more than you need skill positions. The Jets did the right thing this past year. Every year some studs come out of college but it isn't every year that real good O-Linemen are available. Plus those guys play 10+ years.

Trade for a new general manager? :first:

Best answer in the thread so far.

It doesn't matter who the Lions draft as long as Millen is the GM. He will consistantly draft and sign free agents that don't fill the holes that the Lions have.

Millen is undoubtedly the worst GM in sports history. If he remains as GM it will be a travesty!!

Drafting a QB is useless unless you're going to pick up some linemen to protect him.

If they're willing to pick up someone in the free agent draft to protect him, I would take Brady Quinn.

Trade for multiples......and don't draft a WR! How is C. Rog and Mike Williams doing with their plans on moving to Canada?

Ummm, after his 5 drops yesterday, we don't want him (we just released R. Jay Soward, for chrissakes). Send him to the Barcelona Dragons or something....