Sign in to follow this  
Bouve-Rules

Packers haven't done sh*t

What are you waiting for Ted Thompson? As the old saying goes, "You can't take it with you!". GB has to be in the top 5 for salary cap room after a few of the huge contracts given out by teams like San Fransisco.

About the only thing I can see that we've done is extend Al Harris' deal and lock up Cullen Jenkins. Both solid moves but neither makes the team "better" heading into 07.

Go out and get a Randy or two (McMichael/Moss)!!

I said this in the Minnesota thread, but it rings much truer in this thread. Thompson is clearly a build through the draft and retain your own players to stay type GM. He is more than likely looking to the draft and maybe a few decent but well priced FA's.

Spending money early in NFL FA doesn't gaurantee wins.

If you are a Packer fan, you had to expect this. Thompson is not going to throw big money at free agents. He would prefer to build through the draft and re-sign his own players. I agree with his philosophy. If you look at what he inherited a few years back, he has pretty much cleaned house and turned a 4-12 team with little depth into an 8-8 team that is the youngest in the league. You have to allow these players develop and can not retard their growth by bringing in overpriced veterans as a stopgap fix. I agree that it would be nice to see him spend some money but I really don't agree with some of the money being thrown around. I would much rather see us plug a few holes via free agency (ie. Griffith, Grant, possibly Horn) and hold some of this money to either extend our own players (Barnett, Tauscher) or carry into next season. We all need to understand how this incredibly inflated market is going to affect future contract demands. There ae some really average players getting paid big money. There is no sense in just spending the money unwisely.

Given the size of contracts handed out to players, I'm happy he hasn't spent a bundle on an average player that wouldn't help much. Adalius Thomas is the only player I really wish they'd gone after. But I'm glad he didn't blow a load to keep Ahman Green around either, as he's clearly on the downside of his career.

But I would like to know what the heck his plan is for RB. Brett's only got a year or two left, so if you're going to push for the playoffs you'd better get a good RB. Morency isn't a 25 carry a game RB, and Arliss Beach is just a name at this point. Marshawn Lynch sounds good, but who knows if he'll be available at that point of the draft. The remaining free agent prospects don't look too good. McGahee seems to be the only quality starting RB left, but I imagine the Bills' asking price is high.

I totally support the Rodgers for Moss trade. I could see Oakland doing that if they used the #1 pick on CJ, which I think would be a better move than picking Russell.

What are you waiting for Ted Thompson? As the old saying goes, "You can't take it with you!". GB has to be in the top 5 for salary cap room after a few of the huge contracts given out by teams like San Fransisco.

About the only thing I can see that we've done is extend Al Harris' deal and lock up Cullen Jenkins. Both solid moves but neither makes the team "better" heading into 07.

Yeah, Moss and McMichael are class acts. These would be the absolute dumbest signings they could make. Remember GB was the youngest team in the league last year. What do you think; the two of them would be worth $15 million and a 1st round draft choice next year? This is a very weak class of FAs and the salaries are at an all time high. I think TT is doing the right thing and his rookies sure out played the FA happy Vikes last year. I use to think Packer fans were very knowledgeable but I guess they are no better than average.

I like the two moves to secure his own guys...figure he will be doing the same for Barnett soon.

As for what is he doing?

Waiting for people to overpay for some guys.

About the only 2 guys I am upset they did not try to go after is Henry (though I hear he was scheduled to visit GB) and Drew Bennett.

Perhaps he is waiting on a big move for Moss and needs to afford him...or Turner...or somebody...I don't know.

But Im glad he did not pony up that much for Ahman, or Daniel Graham.

TT's philophy is pretty straight forward, look at the Colts and Pats. Both teams won SB's by developing their own players and adding 1 or 2 key FA's. The Colts won the SB with 21 of 22 starters being players they drafted.

That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing him take a run at McMichaels. I think he would fit into the offensive scheme. The only "big money" FA I could see trying to sign. An upgrade at FS would be nice, but that shouldn't be very costly. There are a few FA's out there who would be an immediate improvement over Manuel.

IMHO, it would make me happy to see the first 2 rounds of the draft being used on a RB and DB. Would be nice to get a DB that could play in the nickle for a couple of years and develop rather then throwing out a raw rookie to get destroyed, ala Carrol, Buckley, Thomas....

I said this in the Minnesota thread, but it rings much truer in this thread. Thompson is clearly a build through the draft and retain your own players to stay type GM. He is more than likely looking to the draft and maybe a few decent but well priced FA's.

Spending money early in NFL FA doesn't gaurantee wins.

Agreed on not spending money early...but he proved last year he would go out to free agency...and granted 2 were his own guys...but he brought in several top 40-50 ranked free agents last year (ratings by scout.com) in Kampman, Green, Manuel, Woodson, and Pickett.

Given the size of contracts handed out to players, I'm happy he hasn't spent a bundle on an average player that wouldn't help much. Adalius Thomas is the only player I really wish they'd gone after. But I'm glad he didn't blow a load to keep Ahman Green around either, as he's clearly on the downside of his career.

But I would like to know what the heck his plan is for RB. Brett's only got a year or two left, so if you're going to push for the playoffs you'd better get a good RB. Morency isn't a 25 carry a game RB, and Arliss Beach is just a name at this point. Marshawn Lynch sounds good, but who knows if he'll be available at that point of the draft. The remaining free agent prospects don't look too good. McGahee seems to be the only quality starting RB left, but I imagine the Bills' asking price is high.

I totally support the Rodgers for Moss trade. I could see Oakland doing that if they used the #1 pick on CJ, which I think would be a better move than picking Russell.

First off, there will be no "Rogers for Moss" deal. Oakland has zero interest in this, so it's all just wishful thinking on the packer's fans/media behalf. And I think even the media has debunked this already.

Secondly, Marshawn Lynch is a very good young RB. Can he be a feature back in the NFL? He seems to have the requisite size, hands and speed - power is a question mark (meaning I personally do not know, not that he doesn't have it...) and I am virtually positive that he will be there for the Packers. No team above them really needs a RB after Adrian Peterson is off the board - I see 1 OT, several DE and DT, and 1-2 WRs going before the Packers pick. I predicted 2 weeks ago that Lynch would be the Pack's selection and now that Ahman's gone on to Green-er pastures (a pun..ahahahaha :banana: ) it opens the door wide for this move.

The only reason that I can see that would prevent GB from taking Lynch is a trade up to get Peterson, but I don't know if they have the wherewithall to get that done. Were I GB, I'd be packaging Rogers -or- Jennings & the 1st round pick to CLE - that might get some interest? They would get Peterson at 1.03 and have the feature back they need.

Just food for thought. I still think that Lynch is the next Packers RB...based on the track record of Cal RBs that's a little scary if you're a packers fan. (J.J. Arrington looked like a can't miss RB - oops)

Pack could use a WR and TE but I wouldn't want Graham or Welker at the prices they were paid. Welker was especially appealing as he also returns kicks but the price was just too high IMHO. TT will do what he always does, wait for the market to cool and add a couple guys later who are just flyers and likely worthless.

First off, there will be no "Rogers for Moss" deal. Oakland has zero interest in this, so it's all just wishful thinking on the packer's fans/media behalf. And I think even the media has debunked this already.

Secondly, Marshawn Lynch is a very good young RB. Can he be a feature back in the NFL? He seems to have the requisite size, hands and speed - power is a question mark (meaning I personally do not know, not that he doesn't have it...) and I am virtually positive that he will be there for the Packers. No team above them really needs a RB after Adrian Peterson is off the board - I see 1 OT, several DE and DT, and 1-2 WRs going before the Packers pick. I predicted 2 weeks ago that Lynch would be the Pack's selection and now that Ahman's gone on to Green-er pastures (a pun..ahahahaha :banana: ) it opens the door wide for this move.

The only reason that I can see that would prevent GB from taking Lynch is a trade up to get Peterson, but I don't know if they have the wherewithall to get that done. Were I GB, I'd be packaging Rogers -or- Jennings & the 1st round pick to CLE - that might get some interest? They would get Peterson at 1.03 and have the feature back they need.

Just food for thought. I still think that Lynch is the next Packers RB...based on the track record of Cal RBs that's a little scary if you're a packers fan. (J.J. Arrington looked like a can't miss RB - oops)

Oakland has no interest because there was no offer anyway.

Im not a fan of Lynch anyway there.

Alot of people have been predicting Lynch for a long time now...your not the first.

Greener pastures...yeah...that wasteland called Houston...have fun Ahman.

I think taking a guy like Reggie Nelson or Greg Olsen could prevent them from taking Lynch and seeking other options in the 2nd round.

Pack could use a WR and TE but I wouldn't want Graham or Welker at the prices they were paid. Welker was especially appealing as he also returns kicks but the price was just too high IMHO. TT will do what he always does, wait for the market to cool and add a couple guys later who are just flyers and likely worthless.

Were Woodson and Pickett worthless flyers?

Kampman?

Now Manuel was an early flier...and he got burnt on that one.

I like Nelson and I like Olsen as well but not at 16. It wouldn't shock me to see Thompson trade down out of 16.

I like Nelson and I like Olsen as well but not at 16. It wouldn't shock me to see Thompson trade down out of 16.

would it shock you to see them deal up to get Peterson? :banana:

Agree with J5 that he might trade down.

I don't think either are a stretch at 16 though. Not when blocking TEs are gaining 15 mil guaranteed contracts in the current market.

Move up? Not usually in Thompson's repetoire. (sp?).

So many needs with depth and other things though...and as much as he likes the draft...he is so much more likely to move down all over the draft and pick up 3rd and 4th round picks than he is to give up something to move up.

Yes, I don't think he is trading up. We would have to give up too much. Trading back is very likely. This is what his history indicates.

Were Woodson and Pickett worthless flyers?

Kampman?

Now Manuel was an early flier...and he got burnt on that one.

Woodson was coming off multiple seasons of injury. If memory serves so was Pickett and many wondered if he had any gas left in the tank for various reasons. Kampman was a Packer so I guess correctly or not that I view resigning your own players differently than signing FA's from other teams. But, I do agree that TT was far more active last year in FA than he has been in the past. My comments stem from the Klemm type signings.

Hopefully he learned from the Klemm and Manuel signings. I would like to see Griffith signed and then maybe Hood and Kelly Washington or Horn as 2nd tier signings. Once again, let's not spend money just to spend it.

If they don't go for a TE in FA then Olsen may be the pick. He totally seperated himself from any of the other TE's in this draft while at the combine. Also, there's still going to be solid safeties in the 2nd round and RB's in the 3rd. Darius Walker, Lorenzo Booker, DeShawn Wynn to name a few.

If they either didn't pick up any of those positions in FA and drafted the following...

1st - Olsen TE Miami

2nd - Weddle S Utah or A. Rouse S Virginia Tech

3rd - Walker RB Notre Dame, Booker RB FSU, Wynn RB Florida

4th - Best/fastest wr on the board.

Just thinking out loud. :bench:

Woodson was coming off multiple seasons of injury. If memory serves so was Pickett and many wondered if he had any gas left in the tank for various reasons. Kampman was a Packer so I guess correctly or not that I view resigning your own players differently than signing FA's from other teams. But, I do agree that TT was far more active last year in FA than he has been in the past. My comments stem from the Klemm type signings.

I think Woodson was a flyer for sure...but not worthless...and not some bargain basement type as people like to paint him Tight Ted.

Pickett was a young guy touted as an up and comer...not sure where you got that he might not have any left in the tank.

Kampman was a highly regarded free agent...while it was keeping their own guy...they ponied up to keep a guy that could have gotten a bit more on the market...but yes it was a bit different than signing away a free agent from another team.

As for Klemm...you also have to remember the difference in the cap situation from to last year to now.

Hopefully he learned from the Klemm and Manuel signings. I would like to see Griffith signed and then maybe Hood and Kelly Washington or Horn as 2nd tier signings. Once again, let's not spend money just to spend it.

Washington would be interesting...has the pedigree and body...just has done nothing.

Horn...Id rather not get the guy at this point. Does not seem to fit a true need as a WR.

Antonio Bryant would be interesting. I like his talent, but his attitude sucks.

Griffith should be signed though...fits the scheme as he has spent time in Atlanta with zone blocking.

Ken Hamlin or Todd Johnson might be decent to have in too...

If they don't go for a TE in FA then Olsen may be the pick. He totally seperated himself from any of the other TE's in this draft while at the combine. Also, there's still going to be solid safeties in the 2nd round and RB's in the 3rd. Darius Walker, Lorenzo Booker, DeShawn Wynn to name a few.

If they either didn't pick up any of those positions in FA and drafted the following...

1st - Olsen TE Miami

2nd - Weddle S Utah or A. Rouse S Virginia Tech

3rd - Walker RB Notre Dame, Booker RB FSU, Wynn RB Florida

4th - Best/fastest wr on the board.

Just thinking out loud. :dunno:

I don't want Walker but I am fine with everyon else. I would love an Olsen/Weddle combo after the first 2 rounds, I just think better players will be available at 16. I would like to trade back to get Olsen if possible.

I don't want Walker but I am fine with everyon else. I would love an Olsen/Weddle combo after the first 2 rounds, I just think better players will be available at 16. I would like to trade back to get Olsen if possible.

I don't mind Walker...not big on Wynn though...

Maybe a tradeback would work if there's a team that really wants Lynch. Maybe the Giants, the Broncos, or the Ravens would be willing to trade up and give up their 2nd + more for the move. Then Olsen + Safety + RB + CB + WR all by the end of the 4th round if not better.

If ted threw $$ around the way other teams go, my taxes would probably go up...

he waited til the end last year and snatched charles woodson...

he has an idea for someone, im guessing..

Yeah, Moss and McMichael are class acts. These would be the absolute dumbest signings they could make. Remember GB was the youngest team in the league last year. What do you think; the two of them would be worth $15 million and a 1st round draft choice next year? This is a very weak class of FAs and the salaries are at an all time high. I think TT is doing the right thing and his rookies sure out played the FA happy Vikes last year. I use to think Packer fans were very knowledgeable but I guess they are no better than average.

Whatever D-bag. It's actually "used" to think not "use" to think. A knowledgeable fan would know that.

For the record, I'm not giving up on Ted Thompson just yet. I just don't want the Packers to enter the last few years with Brett as QB with $15M in cap space because "we build through the draft". Clearly we have holes that need to be filed. Some can be addressed in the draft, but not all. McMichael seems like a logical fit for the Packer offense. Get him in and sign his arse. I'm not concerned about his reputation or domestic problems. Can he get down the field and catch the damn ball? Answer: Yes.

Whatever D-bag. It's actually "used" to think not "use" to think. A knowledgeable fan would know that.

For the record, I'm not giving up on Ted Thompson just yet. I just don't want the Packers to enter the last few years with Brett as QB with $15M in cap space because "we build through the draft". Clearly we have holes that need to be filed. Some can be addressed in the draft, but not all. McMichael seems like a logical fit for the Packer offense. Get him in and sign his arse. I'm not concerned about his reputation or domestic problems. Can he get down the field and catch the damn ball? Answer: Yes.

Yeah, the edges of those holes can get pretty jagged....

If you're going to call someone a D-bag and make fun of their grammar, make sure your own grammar is up to snuff.

Brett Favre or no Brett Favre, I love what Thompson's doing for this team. If you want to go back to the Mike Sherman style idiocy that this team is still digging out from, so be it. I don't. I'd love Favre to go out a Super Bowl winner, but let's face reality here. They are no that close, and Randy McMichael ain't putting them over the top.

This is the same crap we heard about Thompson last year. I'd recommend you be patient, and see how it works out in a month or two. Based on last year's results, I'm willing to see what happens.

Brett Favre or no Brett Favre, I love what Thompson's doing for this team. If you want to go back to the Mike Sherman style idiocy that this team is still digging out from, so be it. I don't. I'd love Favre to go out a Super Bowl winner, but let's face reality here. They are no that close, and Randy McMichael ain't putting them over the top.

This is the same crap we heard about Thompson last year. I'd recommend you be patient, and see how it works out in a month or two. Based on last year's results, I'm willing to see what happens.

I agree with this sentiment. The Packers, are most likely, not going to go to a Super Bowl in the next year or two. TT is building a franchise, he is not looking for a one year quick fix that will kill our salary cap for year's to come (see: San Francisco, who has just dug themselves out of that mess). We have the youngest team in the league and are still 20 million under the cap. Once Favre retire that will be another 10 million. No sense is tying up overpaid medicore veterans. Besides Clements and Thomas, who was really an impact free agent this year? Daniel Graham? Give me a break. Jamal Lewis? No.

We need to remember that there will be players released once training camp starts, etc. Maybe a player like Calhoun gets released by Detroit. They already have Bell and Jones in the backfield.

I agree with this sentiment. The Packers, are most likely, not going to go to a Super Bowl in the next year or two. TT is building a franchise, he is not looking for a one year quick fix that will kill our salary cap for year's to come (see: San Francisco, who has just dug themselves out of that mess). We have the youngest team in the league and are still 20 million under the cap. Once Favre retire that will be another 10 million. No sense is tying up overpaid medicore veterans. Besides Clements and Thomas, who was really an impact free agent this year? Daniel Graham? Give me a break. Jamal Lewis? No.

We need to remember that there will be players released once training camp starts, etc. Maybe a player like Calhoun gets released by Detroit. They already have Bell and Jones in the backfield.

It seems like most Packers fans aren't very high on Rodgers. If Brady Quinn were somehow still available for GB (what are they, #16 or something?), would you guys want the Packers to take Quinn, or fill a different need instead?

It seems like most Packers fans aren't very high on Rodgers. If Brady Quinn were somehow still available for GB (what are they, #16 or something?), would you guys want the Packers to take Quinn, or fill a different need instead?

No no no no no.

Too many other needs...too many QBs I would rather have than Quinn anyway.

Agree with J5 that he might trade down.

I don't think either are a stretch at 16 though. Not when blocking TEs are gaining 15 mil guaranteed contracts in the current market.

Move up? Not usually in Thompson's repetoire. (sp?).

So many needs with depth and other things though...and as much as he likes the draft...he is so much more likely to move down all over the draft and pick up 3rd and 4th round picks than he is to give up something to move up.

We cant take Olsen at 16, I would hate taking him there, if we traded back to 22 or so then maybe. Olsen was a 2nd round guy before the combine, by running a 4.5 and looking decent at the combine shouldn't make him a top half of the 1st round now, I know he's not like Bubba but TE 1st round from the U.... :wacko:

Id like to see a trade down if a guy we like isnt there, trading up for AP would cost way to much.

Thanks Hoff, good post. Here are my thoughts:

NFC continues to be very weak - don't give up on this young improving team with solid veteran leadership before camp even starts. Parity is king in the NFL. We may not be close, but we aren't that far away either.

I agree that we don't need to spend wildly on middle of the road talent. But I don't want to break the record for being the team with the most money saved under the cap. I agree that free agency is a long way from being finished, I'll try to be patient but I hate that we aren't even rumored to be interested in any Free Agents. As if everyone is writing off the season before it begins.

McMichael may not be the answer, but who is? Are we content with fielding the same team as last year when we have money to spend? You can't take it with you.

I think we all need to take into consideration the leap that the guys should make this year. The o-line will have an entire year playing together under their belts. Colledge, Wells, and Spitz will improve. Jennings, and Hawk will only get better. Jenkins will start the year out at end not the last four games. Additionally, the entire offense has a year experience in the McCarthy offense and zone blocking scheme. We all agree that the Packers have obvious need areas, I just hope Thompson doesn't reach in the draft. I feel that Olsen at 16 is a reach. Just my opinion but he is a one-dimesional player, tightend who can't block. I would rather take Nelson, Lynch, Hall, Carriker, or Meachum at 16, but that's just my opinion.

I think we all need to take into consideration the leap that the guys should make this year. The o-line will have an entire year playing together under their belts. Colledge, Wells, and Spitz will improve. Jennings, and Hawk will only get better. Jenkins will start the year out at end not the last four games. Additionally, the entire offense has a year experience in the McCarthy offense and zone blocking scheme. We all agree that the Packers have obvious need areas, I just hope Thompson doesn't reach in the draft. I feel that Olsen at 16 is a reach. Just my opinion but he is a one-dimesional player, tightend who can't block. I would rather take Nelson, Lynch, Hall, Carriker, or Meachum at 16, but that's just my opinion.

Nelson isnt even worth a 1st round pick.

IMO

If we draft him at 16 I will give myself a swirly.

IMO

:(

Why don't you like Nelson? Ballhawking safety who runs a 4.35. Better than what we have. I would prefer to take Weddle in the 2nd but I could live with Nelson.

Yeah, the edges of those holes can get pretty jagged....

If you're going to call someone a D-bag and make fun of their grammar, make sure your own grammar is up to snuff.

Touche' or is it Toushe'? Thanks for catching that. I guess I was still on tilt over the comments Phurfer made in regards to my football knowledge and that of Packer fans in general.

Personally, I stand by my D-bag comment.

Touche' or is it Toushe'? Thanks for catching that. I guess I was still on tilt over the comments Phurfer made in regards to my football knowledge and that of Packer fans in general.

Personally, I stand by my D-bag comment.

Hey, we all slip up - kudos for owning up to it. :dunno:

Talk about a reach...Meachum?

Im sorry, Im not impressed with the guy...and I have seen many Tennessee games. Decent enough guy, and I knew he would do well at the combine. But, IMO he is the workout warrior kind of guy. Not as impressive on the field...but look at measurables and he looks great.

That and the track record of UT receivers recently is not all that good. The best one of recent memory is Dante Stallworth.

IMO

How is Reggie Nelson not worth a first round pick.

Several I have seen have him even going before the Packers pick.

:thumbsup: