Sign in to follow this  
jets24

Just once...

I was gonna do a poll about this but decided against it. Had NBC received this tapes from this creep and made a conscious decision not to air them for reasons of not wanting to jeopardize other lives by glorifying him and encouraging copycats, it would have had such a huge impact on society, IMO. I know it's very unrealistic and all but just once, I would like to see the media do the right thing for society, rather than what will give them higher ratings. For the record, I will not watch the video of the guy. Ever. Call it silly or whatever but it's my own protest. I know it doesn't mean sh!t. He was a piece of sh!t, who doesn't deserve to be glorified.

Well, as I watching that nutjob posing in his Rambo-style, I couldn't help but think of all the other withdrawn nerds who are being picked on who were sitting at home getting big ideas.

I'm not saying NBC should have hushed this up. It's just one of the problems that comes with these kinds of tragedies. Cho even gave props to the Columbine killers in his video. There's no doubt that some future lunatic will mention this asswipe in his suicide note.

Whoda thunk it? Jets and Wiff on the same page:

I've been thinking about this. Woulda been cool if they gave the package to the FBI, the FBI did whatever they needed to with it and niether NBC or FBI said a focking word about it. This whack-job gook got exactly what he wanted by them smearing his zipperhead all over the place. Woulda been nice if that jagoff got exactly ZERO of his focking goofy axx pics and ranting manifesto published.

But, that'd never happen.:dunno:

from the msnbc fred.

Whoda thunk it? Jets and Wiff on the same page:

from the msnbc fred.

We don't have to be friends now, do we? :dunno:

I was gonna do a poll about this but decided against it. Had NBC received this tapes from this creep and made a conscious decision not to air them for reasons of not wanting to jeopardize other lives by glorifying him and encouraging copycats, it would have had such a huge impact on society, IMO. I know it's very unrealistic and all but just once, I would like to see the media do the right thing for society, rather than what will give them higher ratings. For the record, I will not watch the video of the guy. Ever. Call it silly or whatever but it's my own protest. I know it doesn't mean sh!t. He was a piece of sh!t, who doesn't deserve to be glorified.

Excellent point. Say Nappy Headed Ho on a radio show and BAM, you're fired and labeled as a racist. But show a potentially inflamatory video and it's news. :dunno:

This society is messed up and has its priorities mixed up.

If a mentally ill kid is going to go on a shooting rampage, they're going to go on a shooting rampage whether they see the video or not. We can blame movies, Columbine, video games or whatever other possible cultural item you can come up with forever. But if someone is as disturbed as this kid seemed to have been, they're going to get their own ideas anyway.

If a mentally ill kid is going to go on a shooting rampage, they're going to go on a shooting rampage whether they see the video or not. We can blame movies, Columbine, video games or whatever other possible cultural item you can come up with forever. But if someone is as disturbed as this kid seemed to have been, they're going to get their own ideas anyway.

I'll meet you halfway there. I generally don't buy off on blaming movies and stuff for bad behavior. And I agree with a lot of what you're saying. However, I think distrubed kids CAN get ideas from stuff like Columbine. Moreover, the more I think about it, this was a bad idea (to air the pics/manifesto). Some troubled young kid out there looking for attention - to be 'heard' - no sees that if he just does what Cho did, HIS message will get broadcast all over the world too.

- Not that there are any absolutes here. Yer right - crazies are gonna do something, I just think it was a bad idea to 'reward' cho's behavior by giving him the bully pulpit he always wanted.

Actually, you got me to thinking; If this had happened on say, the Grambling campus, Al and Jesse'd be all over this. Nowhere to be found here. :D

:cheers: Were any of the kids that died....umm....how do I say it......black? :banana:

:cheers: Were any of the kids that died....umm....how do I say it......black? :D

yep. but Cho never once screamed "Die you nappy headed ho's!!" :banana:

Al and Jesse don't mind the politically correct mass murderers. It's the idiotic un-PC talk show hosts that are the real threat to society. :huh:

Not that there are any absolutes here. Yer right - crazies are gonna do something, I just think it was a bad idea to 'reward' cho's behavior by giving him the bully pulpit he always wanted.

Winnah.

On one hand, I think it's good for society to have a face and personality to blame the tragedy on. On the other hand, broadcasting his recording is equivilant to pointing the camera on the drunk that runs across the football field during a game. It only encourages copy cats.

Overall, it was probably a bad idea. They should have asked for FBI permission, who probably would have prefered they didn't air it... at least not for several months.

Damn. Jets and Toto both agree with me. :D

...something's not right here.... :cheers:

Ashton - get yer axx out here RIGHT now Mister!! :banana:

Well, as I watching that nutjob posing in his Rambo-style, I couldn't help but think of all the other withdrawn nerds who are being picked on who were sitting at home getting big ideas.

I'm not saying NBC should have hushed this up. It's just one of the problems that comes with these kinds of tragedies. Cho even gave props to the Columbine killers in his video. There's no doubt that some future lunatic will mention this asswipe in his suicide note.

I think the mere fact that he did what thousands of "withdrawn nerds" fantisize about may embolden them somewhat. I don't think publishing the tapes and writings is going to add much more fuel to the fire. I kind of agree that I wish they would have left that alone, but most of the damage was already done.

I think the mere fact that he did what thousands of "withdrawn nerds" fantisize about may embolden them somewhat. I don't think publishing the tapes and writings is going to add much more fuel to the fire. I kind of agree that I wish they would have left that alone, but most of the damage was already done.

Exactly. Or should I say...exactry. I really think that society is waiting for somebody to step up and do the right thing and change the course of how the media operates. Unfortunately, the only group of people large enough to really make a change in the media is.....the media. They can spin crap however they choose. The Imus thing would have never blown up the way it did without them sticking their cameras in Sharpton's face and just begging people to pay attention to a ridiculous non-story. Imagine if NBC came out with a statement that said:

"We at NBC have decided that we will not glorify this mass murderer by showing his videos and pictures. We feel we have an obligation to society to do our best to avoid another tragedy like this. We will continue to work with investigators on this case and provide them with any details but out of respect for the many loved ones left behind through this tragedy, we will not show the video."

I guess I have thought about this alot. Sorry.

What would Fox news have done if they had recieved the package

We'll never know for sure, but you gotta think they'd all probably do the same thing.

News stations make these decisions all the time, outside of the goverment's power. Which is good when it keeps polititians and police in line, but it's not so good when it hurts ongoing investigations or exploits a tragedy.

In this particular case, NBC should have done whatever the FBI said, IMO.

We'll never know for sure, but you gotta think they'd all probably do the same thing.

News stations make these decisions all the time, outside of the goverment's power. Which is good when it keeps polititians and police in line, but it's not so good when it hurts ongoing investigations or exploits a tragedy.

In this particular case, NBC should have done whatever the FBI said, IMO.

I agree.

While the video might give some whack jobs the idea to glorify a mass murder, it is also more likely to give the people watching an understanding of what the signs of a troubled person are. If we become educated that there are people out there like this and that they have certain behavioral patterns, we might be in a situation to avoid these situations later on. Looking back on it, there are quite a few people out there who are feeling guilty that they did not take this guys troubles more seriously.

Is NBC right in publishing pictures/video from the war? Yes, because it gives us an understanding of what war is really like.

Is NBC right in doing shows like "To Catch a Predator"? I think so, because it gives parents a better understanding of how these predators target our kids and sheds light on a problem.

I am not a big proponent of some of the things that the media does by using sensationalism. I also did not see the video last night. However, I think that supressing the video would not be in the public's best interests.