Sign in to follow this  
The_Mad_Cats

Dominoes

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...NFL&id=1350

ESPN's John Clayton reports the Raiders intend to draft Calvin Johnson with the No. 1 pick if the Dolphins acquire Trent Green from Kansas City.

Clayton's theory is that the whole top part of the draft depends on the future of Trent Green. If Green goes to Miami, Daunte Culpepper will be cut and Oakland would then sign him. Clayton says if a Green trade can't be worked out, the Raiders will be forced to draft JaMarcus Russell.

So, does a deal get done between KC and the Fish prior to the draft?

Personally, I hope Tampa Bay lands Calvin Johnson so I can watch him work in person here in the land of the NFC South.

then the chiefs need to send green to miami and fock the riaders over cause c'pepp sucks!#@ :D :banana:

So, does a deal get done between KC and the Fish prior to the draft?

I doubt it, if something does get done i imagine it will be the day of. Also, won't c'pepp likely be cut regardless :D

i've never bought--and will never buy--the theory that oakland passes on russell *because* they get a veteran qb (mccown, culpepper, take your pick). that's beyond assinine. i can't even count up the number of logical fallacies being by oakland *if* that's their reasoning on the subject. yeah, oakland getting a qb who's missed nearly two full seasons with a blown knee--and is still months away from seeing the field because of rehabilitation on the knee--means they no longer have a need for russell. brilliant :D

could oakland take cj? sure. but if they're doing so because of the above pretzel logic, they are truly morons. al has his hand up clayton's ass on this one.

if they get a vet qb to play this year that's all the more reason to draft russell and let him come along slowly, not a reason for just the opposite.

oakland is playing the pr card hard this week and attempting to show all options are open...never know, they could still get an offer for the #1 pick. but i think most teams are seeing through their weak smokescreen.

Raiduhs going for Culpepper, while initially just sorta... :huh: :headbanger:

one must remember, the only time Moss was a decent WR was when Cpep was tossing the rock, so you can't blame them too much.

Still, perfect illustration of just how bad the front office is.... :blink:

Raiduhs going for Culpepper, while initially just sorta... :banana: :banana:

one must remember, the only time Moss was a decent WR was when Cpep was tossing the rock, so you can't blame them too much.

Still, perfect illustration of just how bad the front office is.... :banana:

I seem to remember Moss was "decent" with Cunningham tossing the rock.

I've read a couple times in the past couple weeks that the Oakland warroom is divided on who to draft, Russell, Johnson, or Quinn.

Just more food for thought.

ud be suprised...cpep might not be in a bad situation at all...moss, calvin, porter...thats dam scary

Can any of them play on the offensive line? That's what's dam scary. If you watched any Raider games last year, the problem wasn't the WR's (although they didn't help). I've never seen a QB get hit so many times immediately after dropping back. I felt sorry for Walter at some points. The kid never had a chance on most snaps. A WR isn't what this team needs. Frankly, they should probably be trading out of #1 for multiple picks to improve the team. A rookie QB is just going to get shelled back there (see David Carr).

I've read a couple times in the past couple weeks that the Oakland warroom is divided on who to draft, Russell, Johnson, or Quinn.

Just more food for thought.

i don't buy it--or any of it that is being reported in the media. it's all disinformation.

last year a week before the draft there was a story about how packer warroom was "divided" about who to take at 5. lol...yeah, right.

teams pretty much have their draft boards nailed down and put to bed as of today, 4 days before the draft. if there's still turmoil and angst that shows an alarming lack of preparedness with the draft about 90 hours away.

don't buy any media bs this week. use for entertainment purposes only.

if the following story is correct about the exit interview davis had with shell in january, it could be very telling about which direction the old man is leaning in the draft:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/raiders/ci_5731270

(from the link): Yet, the only empirical, anecdotal evidence comes from the year-end, hit-the-pavement, exit-interview given by Davis to coach Art Shell. During the lengthy tongue lashing delivered to Shell on Jan. 5, Davis accused Shell of persuading Davis to bypass Southern Cal quarterback Matt Leinart with the seventh pick of last year's draft, according to an eyewitness.

"Knowing what we know now, should you have told us to pick Leinart over Huff?" Davis asked Shell, according to Danny More, Shell's longtime agent and confidante. "You set this franchise back 10 years. Now I have to fix it."

ouch. does that sound to you like a guy who's going to pass on a franchise qb again this year? again, if those quotes are true...the writing on the wall is much clearer than the talking heads say it is.

Can any of them play on the offensive line? That's what's dam scary. If you watched any Raider games last year, the problem wasn't the WR's (although they didn't help). I've never seen a QB get hit so many times immediately after dropping back. I felt sorry for Walter at some points. The kid never had a chance on most snaps. A WR isn't what this team needs. Frankly, they should probably be trading out of #1 for multiple picks to improve the team. A rookie QB is just going to get shelled back there (see David Carr).

Its funny how after all this time, when everyone should know a team should be built around an o line, that teams still dont get it. the only reason i can see for getting "sexier" picks like a WR is for the marketing angle :thumbsup:

Its funny how after all this time, when everyone should know a team should be built around an o line, that teams still dont get it. the only reason i can see for getting "sexier" picks like a WR is for the marketing angle :pointstosky:

Drew Rosenhaus was just on the Dan Patrick show and he maid a very good point. He believes that the only reason the Raiders are now "so intrested" in Calvin Johnson is because they are leveraging J. Russel's agent. The Raiders are basically saying to his agent that they may not even pick Russel, therefore driving down his price and trying to get to sign him before the draft. If the Raiders wait until they draft Russel, his agent would then have more leverage to negotiate his salary (since the Raiders are now stuck with him) and get a higher price.

It's definitely a game of chicken between Oakland and Russel's agent (i.e. sign him now as the guaranteed #1 pick but for potentially less money, or gamble until the draft where he may not be the #1 pick or if he is the #1 pick get more money).

Its funny how after all this time, when everyone should know a team should be built around an o line, that teams still dont get it. the only reason i can see for getting "sexier" picks like a WR is for the marketing angle :dunno:

I think the Jets are a great example of what you should do. They spent 2 high picks on the offensive line, and look what happened. The running game was productive (especially considering they had little talent at RB), and they kept Pennington healthy throughout the season. With a few more additions the Jets could be a serious threat (Thomas Jones certainly helps), but it all starts with the O-line. How many teams with great O-line's suck? There's allot of teams that suck with very good QB's, RB's, and WR's.

Its funny how after all this time, when everyone should know a team should be built around an o line, that teams still dont get it. the only reason i can see for getting "sexier" picks like a WR is for the marketing angle :bench:

does that mean the raiders have to use the #1 overall pick on the o-line? there are more rounds than just the first. the raiders did blow a high draft pick not too long ago on an o-lineman.

I just think that whoever drafts russell over Quinn will regret it ie. akili smith...... or how about when ryan leaf was supposed to be better then Peyton?????does anybody remember that?????? A 4 year starter is always better then drafting a 1 year wonder.........Quinn was in a pro offense he is ready and i think that if russell was drafted by somebody that could wait a year to get him up to speed he would be a better pick but he will fail in oakland because he will be expected to be the savior...... of course this is just my thinking :thumbsdown:

does that mean the raiders have to use the #1 overall pick on the o-line?

no.

i don't buy it--or any of it that is being reported in the media. it's all disinformation.

last year a week before the draft there was a story about how packer warroom was "divided" about who to take at 5. lol...yeah, right.

teams pretty much have their draft boards nailed down and put to bed as of today, 4 days before the draft. if there's still turmoil and angst that shows an alarming lack of preparedness with the draft about 90 hours away.

don't buy any media bs this week. use for entertainment purposes only.

if the following story is correct about the exit interview davis had with shell in january, it could be very telling about which direction the old man is leaning in the draft:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/raiders/ci_5731270

(from the link): Yet, the only empirical, anecdotal evidence comes from the year-end, hit-the-pavement, exit-interview given by Davis to coach Art Shell. During the lengthy tongue lashing delivered to Shell on Jan. 5, Davis accused Shell of persuading Davis to bypass Southern Cal quarterback Matt Leinart with the seventh pick of last year's draft, according to an eyewitness.

"Knowing what we know now, should you have told us to pick Leinart over Huff?" Davis asked Shell, according to Danny More, Shell's longtime agent and confidante. "You set this franchise back 10 years. Now I have to fix it."

ouch. does that sound to you like a guy who's going to pass on a franchise qb again this year? again, if those quotes are true...the writing on the wall is much clearer than the talking heads say it is.

for the 'meat' of the draft board your theory should hold true. Teams know if they like Reggie Nelson over Brandon Merriweather and Laurence Timmons or whoever. Teams that have painful, multimillion dollar 'rebuilding' questions like Oakland and Cleveland are in a tough spot.

They can't afford to screw their decision up. If they draft Russell and he flops, the team is jacked for another four or five years. If they draft Quinn and he's a superb 'journeyman' type QB, the team is set back four to five years too. If they draft CJ and no one can throw to him, he was a waste of a pick too. The raiders spent the #2 on Gallery a couple years ago, and that guy has been a turd. Jake Grove in the 2nd wasn't much better.

The decision of who to take at 1.01 has to have teams losing sleep up til they either sign their choice ahead of the draft, or when the submit their card to the commissioner on Saturday.

Teams like Tampa Bay and Detroit have it much easier. Detroit has a capable offense with a solid contributor in Kitna (who I think is the ideal mentor for a young QB), a solid #1 RB (when healthy), a true #1 WR in Williams, a decent bunch of dudes in the receiving corps, an OK OL, and an improving defense. Tampa can sit back an draft the BPA, as pretty much everyone but Russell and Quinn can be day 1 starters for the team, and the cost has fallen considerably from 1.01.

Teams that need QB are usually the worst franchises to go to, because they usually always have crapy OL, maybe 1 WR, and some dude at RB, so the kid is going to struggle out of the gate.

I somewhat agree with that. They are already loaded at WR and really don't need CJ2 unless they trade Moss and/or Porter, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen. However I do believe that the offensive line will be much better this season. I think a lot of blame for that should go to the coaching staff. The play calling and schemes made that offensive line look a lot worse then it was. Way to many 7 step drops and thats why Walter was on his back all game. They should take Russell, unless they can make a move for Aaron Rodgers. Culpepper, Rattay, McCown are not long term answers for them.

trent green is made out of people, its people!!

I thought he was made out of high-energy plankton gathered from the oceans of the world? He's much tastier than that Trent Yellow we've had for years.

Oakland should draft Rosie O'Donnell with #1 pick... she can play all 5 line positions at once (also, her left lovehandle is a decent blocking TE), and none of the D-would want to go near her = QB protection = TDs = Oakland championship!

Oakland should draft Rosie O'Donnell with #1 pick... she can play all 5 line positions at once (also, her left lovehandle is a decent blocking TE), and none of the D-would want to go near her = QB protection = TDs = Oakland championship!

Nope. Would never work.

The Oakland offense would have to go shotgun 100% of the time, as no one would want to put his hand anywhere near Rosie's ######.

And there would be a lot more fumbles, since if the QB tried looked for the ball on the snap, he would see Rosie's bent over fat ass, and his eyes would melt.

Nope. Would never work.

The Oakland offense would have to go shotgun 100% of the time, as no one would want to put his hand anywhere near Rosie's ######.

And there would be a lot more fumbles, since if the QB tried looked for the ball on the snap, he would see Rosie's bent over fat ass, and his eyes would melt.

That is true.... any QB would develop hand cancer after a quarter if they weren't in shotgun. And if Rosie ripped one, the ball would probably fly in the back of the end zone for an automatic safety.... now... if she turned around and had her ass face the defense... well that might be a formula for success. She would annhilate defenses, the Raiders offense would set all kinds of scoring records.

The Raiders will draft WR Calvin johnson in round #1, and then draft Stanford QB Trent Edwards in round #2.