Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

2007 NFL Draft Weekend Team Thread: Green Bay Packers

Exactly my sentiments. What I don't understand is given what the Browns gave up to get Quinn, why could the Packers not make a similiar deal with them? Everyone drafted earlier appears to be a reach. Given TT's propensity to trade down for picks, I would take the Browns deal in a hearbeat. It's also a good possibility that Harrell would have still been available at 2.03. Then, we would be looking at the Browns (likely top 10) pick in 08, our own and cap space to do it. Hard to believe that that same deal wasn't available to the Pack.

Im sure they tried trading a few times. Does not always work out.

Not the flashiest picks...thats for sure.

Everyone needs to step off the ledge here a little bit. Seriously. I'm getting pretty sick of the Ted Thompson bashing. He has done very good things in the past few season in Green Bay, even if it hansn't been by drafting the 'sexy' offensive players for Favre's last run.

And if any of you are going to tell me that the offense's problems would be solved with Robert Meachem or Greg Olsen, you're friggin nuts. Neither of those guys are a magic solution that suddenly gives Favre everything he's ever dreamed of.

I was shocked to see the Harrel pick, but Thompson knows the player better than all of us. With Cullen Jenkins being moved to end almost exclusively, having another good DT will help things.

And Jackson is widely regarded as a pretty talented guy at RB. I like him more than Pittman, and he was a decent plan B since everyone's favorite Lynch was drafted before 16.

I appluad Thompson for making football decisions, not fantasy football decisions.

It amazes me how people who follow football as a hobby think they know more than people who are in football as a career. I suppose you are the same people that complained last year.

Everyone needs to step off the ledge here a little bit. Seriously. I'm getting pretty sick of the Ted Thompson bashing. He has done very good things in the past few season in Green Bay, even if it hansn't been by drafting the 'sexy' offensive players for Favre's last run.

And if any of you are going to tell me that the offense's problems would be solved with Robert Meachem or Greg Olsen, you're friggin nuts. Neither of those guys are a magic solution that suddenly gives Favre everything he's ever dreamed of.

I was shocked to see the Harrel pick, but Thompson knows the player better than all of us. With Cullen Jenkins being moved to end almost exclusively, having another good DT will help things.

And Jackson is widely regarded as a pretty talented guy at RB. I like him more than Pittman, and he was a decent plan B since everyone's favorit Lynch was drafted before 16.

I appluad Thompson for making football decisions, not fantasy football decision.

:dunno:

i wasnt here to complain....

until he focked up on getting randy moss....that move will be costly...

Right. An overpaid, always injured, malcontent is not exactly what a young team needs.

Thompson has said from the beginning that he is going to build from the draft. He turned this roster over a great deal the last three years, and that will not change. I am very happy that he has not caved to the idea that Green Bay should mortage the future simply because Favre decided to come back. That approach would only cause problems when Favre hangs'em up.

Thompson's approach is the correct one, like it or not. Patience is the key.

And you know this because........

Another trade...

Give Pitt: 112th pick

Get: 119th pick, 192nd pick (6th rd)

Another trade...

Give Pitt: 112th pick

Get: 119th pick, 192nd pick (6th rd)

Seems like a good deal to me. Not much diffference between 112 and 119, and add another pick.

Really surprised at all the venom for the Harrell pick. It's not like the guy had a second round grade. 6'4, 300 pounds. Played with one arm last year, and played well. Most people's seasons are over when they tear a biceps. Thats character. If he was healthy last year, you are looking at a top 10 pick. Kudos for TT for taking the best player available on his board. I have said before, we simply do not have the talent to reach for need right now, I don't care what our record was last year.

Love the Brandon Jackson pick. High character guy, who his coach calls a perfectionist. Here is a 5 minute highlight tape. Look at the way he cuts. Solid one cut runner who has tremendous vision. Sets up and cuts off blocks perfectly. Perfect fit in our scheme:

I will reserve comment on James Jones. Looks like a jack of all trades, and after Greg Jennings, I won't doubt TT's scouting ability on small school receivers.

Everyone seems to like the Rouse pick, but I am torn. We all know he is going to knock people out, so he will be an assett on special teams, and against the run. But will his pass coverage hold up? Michael Boulware's transition to safety in the pros has been pretty bad, he gets toasted with regularity. High risk, high reward in my opinion, but I don't know if we have the luxory to let him sit and learn. Our safety play was atrocious last year.

I will reserve comment on James Jones. Looks like a jack of all trades, and after Greg Jennings, I won't doubt TT's scouting ability on small school receivers.

It's not like Jennings was a diamond in the rough, and TT magically found him. He was a well known player in college and coming into the draft, and had put up monster numbers for 3+ (?) years in college.

Good pick, but not a "brilliant find" or anything like that.

Allen Barbe

SELECTED BY: Green Bay Packers Round 4(20)

SI Grade

[sI Grading System]

[Video Highlights]

Position:

G

Class:

Sr

School:

Missouri Southern State

Conference:

Division II

Ht., Wt.:

6-4, 300

40 Time:

BIOGRAPHY: Moved into the starting lineup midway through his freshman season. Awarded All-Conference honors after his junior and senior campaigns and was an All-American last year.

POSITIVES: Athletic pass-protecting blocker with a good amount of upside. Patient, effectively uses angles and slides his feet laterally. Strong at the point, seals defenders from the action and plays with leverage. Flashes power as a run blocker.

NEGATIVES: Late with his hands. Not fluid and struggles to adjust.

ANALYSIS: A productive small-school blocker with the tools to play at the next level, Barbre is a developmental prospect who could start at either a guard or tackle in two seasons.

PROJECTION: Late Second Round

Allen Barbe

SELECTED BY: Green Bay Packers Round 4(20)

SI Grade

[sI Grading System]

[Video Highlights]

Position:

G

Class:

Sr

School:

Missouri Southern State

Conference:

Division II

Ht., Wt.:

6-4, 300

40 Time:

BIOGRAPHY: Moved into the starting lineup midway through his freshman season. Awarded All-Conference honors after his junior and senior campaigns and was an All-American last year.

POSITIVES: Athletic pass-protecting blocker with a good amount of upside. Patient, effectively uses angles and slides his feet laterally. Strong at the point, seals defenders from the action and plays with leverage. Flashes power as a run blocker.

NEGATIVES: Late with his hands. Not fluid and struggles to adjust.

ANALYSIS: A productive small-school blocker with the tools to play at the next level, Barbre is a developmental prospect who could start at either a guard or tackle in two seasons.

PROJECTION: Late Second Round

Nice pick here. CLifton and Tauscher are starting to get some tread on their tires. Barbe can sit for a year or two to get acclimated to the huge jump in competition.

Cant believe we missed out on Moss. He'l light it up in NE.

I am happy TT didn't make the trade. Moss is not the same player he was 5 years ago. Nagging leg injuries on a guy who can only run deep routes is not a good thing.

WR is definitely a position we need to address, but I want someone who will be around when we are ready to go deep in the playoffs. I think Greg Jennings is going to be a future # 1. But Driver is not getting any younger. And I am amazed that Ferguson is still on an NFL roster, let alone in a receiving rotation.

I am happy TT didn't make the trade. Moss is not the same player he was 5 years ago. Nagging leg injuries on a guy who can only run deep routes is not a good thing.

WR is definitely a position we need to address, but I want someone who will be around when we are ready to go deep in the playoffs. I think Greg Jennings is going to be a future # 1. But Driver is not getting any younger. And I am amazed that Ferguson is still on an NFL roster, let alone in a receiving rotation.

I can see that end of it as well, but a 4th round pick to get 3 years out of a guy who is supposedly still running 4.30 fortys would be worth it. Even if he does get hurt, we wouldnt have lost anything important. I expect Moss to revive his career in a big way this year.

And Jackson is widely regarded as a pretty talented guy at RB. I like him more than Pittman, and he was a decent plan B since everyone's favorite Lynch was drafted before 16.

I appluad Thompson for making football decisions, not fantasy football decisions.

I'm glad someone said it. :dunno:

Getting a big DL to stack up with Pickett in the middle will free up Barnett/Hawk to really do some damage. Rouse is a very big steal if you ask me, and Jackson may be just the RB GB needs.

Sexy picks are often only sexy during the draft.

Cant believe we missed out on Moss. He'l light it up in NE.

Well, who wouldn't on that team...

But as I was sitting around thinking about how torn I am about Moss (did I REALY want him?), and my thoughts drifted to how much NE reminds me of the 49'rs teams of the pre-cap era. DeBartolo would just keep adding the best player available at every position since everyone wanted to play there.

And then I realized that's what TT's doing here...good, solid fundamentals coach, always keep enough cap space to do whatever you want and never end up in "cap hell", draft for talent and look out 3-5 years. This isn't a team that will panic to add a Moss to try and win this year...just keep adding the bargain players, draft as many bodies as you can find that either: 1.) fell and are a value at the pick, 2.) have talent that hasn't been tapped yet. It's all about value, prudence, bulk of picks, coaching, and cap space.

This team was depleted of talent by the Sherman GM-era...and instead of addressing it the way Sherman did (we need a punter more than anything, let's get one in the 3rd!), TT's addressing it in a methodical way.

Do I like this draft? No...

Do I get this draft? Ahhhh....no

Do I like the fact that they spent the last 3 years of Favre's career rebuilding? NO

But I've also sat through the Chuck Webb in the 3rd, Rich frickin' Campbell 1st, Anthony Dilweg is the QB of the future in like the 2nd. It's been worse...it was honestly worse just 3 years ago...I have to relax and let it play out. Look at Seattle...not reloading, just adding pieces. Look at NE, they can maximize the value of a Moss. I think we'll be fine, just not this year...and I have to just cope with it. Thompson’s got a model he’s following, and we’re all following, whether we like it or not…in the long run, we probably will

It amazes me how people who follow football as a hobby think they know more than people who are in football as a career. I suppose you are the same people that complained last year.

:dunno:

I've won my fantasy football league 2 years in a row!! Don't tell me what I do and do not know!! :huh:

SUNDAY, April 29, 2007, 12:35 p.m.

By Tom Silverstein

Broncos were interested in Harrell

Had the Packers not taken Tennessee defensive tackle Justin Harrell with the 16th pick, there's a good chance the Denver Broncos would have taken him at No. 21.

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said that he had three players targeted for his spot in the first round, and most people figure it was Arkansas defensive end Jamaal Anderson, Florida end Jarvis Moss and Harrell. Anderson went eighth to the Atlanta Falcons, leaving Harrell and Moss.

As soon as the Packers took Harrell with the 16th, Shanahan traded up to the 17th position and took Moss.

“We had three guys that we felt very comfortable taking with the 21st pick, and two of those guys were gone when we decided to trade up," Shanahan said Saturday.

The Denver coach's statement lends credence to GM Ted Thompson's claim that he couldn't drop back too far without the risk of losing out on Harrell. It's unclear whether Shanahan liked Harrell or Moss better.

"We had a game plan that included three guys and we were hoping that two of those guys were going to be there and we would be able to get both of them," Shanahan said. "You never know what is going to happen on draft day. When Justin Harrell went to Green Bay, that is when we stepped up and decided to make a move to get the guy that we wanted and the guy that was worthy of our first pick.”

link

I can see that end of it as well, but a 4th round pick to get 3 years out of a guy who is supposedly still running 4.30 fortys would be worth it. Even if he does get hurt, we wouldnt have lost anything important. I expect Moss to revive his career in a big way this year.

I think in the end it is still his contract that will determine his value. $20 million+ over the next 2 years is allot of money.

I like the Clowney pick. We desperately need some speed at the WR position and CLowney was a track star at Va. Tech. I think he ran a 4.35. He shoul help out on returns initially, but don't discount him as a reciver. He is not simply a track guy playing football. He can become a solid # 3.

:ninja:1!st pick should have been better :dunno:

no...some reasons Moss chose NE and not GB is the reality that GB isnt that close or willing to do what it takes to take that next step...

plus the fans mooning him and being asses caused him to give the fans a big F U...fans who dont even love the team but go because theyve had tix in the family their entire lives....

randy moss could carry a gun to the stadium and would never be as bad of a person as ahman green was...

but no..the team worries about randys character..and yet they wait for koren robinson to return :dunno: moss on his worst, not caring day is still better than K-Rob on his best...

end of rant...

no...some reasons Moss chose NE and not GB is the reality that GB isnt that close or willing to do what it takes to take that next step...

plus the fans mooning him and being asses caused him to give the fans a big F U...fans who dont even love the team but go because theyve had tix in the family their entire lives....

randy moss could carry a gun to the stadium and would never be as bad of a person as ahman green was...

but no..the team worries about randys character..and yet they wait for koren robinson to return :dunno: moss on his worst, not caring day is still better than K-Rob on his best...

end of rant...

Snoop Dog was pretty good in his day :dunno:

Any word on why the Pats' 4th rounder was more appealing to the Raiders (re: the Moss deal) than the Packers' 4th rounder? Or did the Packers simply take the offer off the table?

Any word on why the Pats' 4th rounder was more appealing to the Raiders (re: the Moss deal) than the Packers' 4th rounder? Or did the Packers simply take the offer off the table?

Watching ESPN, I'm thinking the story is going to be more about Moss and the contract than the Raiders. I'm getting the vibe that Moss, when given the choice between the two teams, would redo for the Pats and not so much the Packers.

Honestly, if you had the choice, where would you go? Better QB, better line, better D, better organization, better coach, #1 pick to take the SB...vs. another rebuilding campaign in GB.

Don't get me wrong, I do think we'll get to the promised land, we're just not there yet, and they are. It looks like Moss sees that too, and took the chance for a ring.

Kinda like Rison did a few years ago...

what irks me is..moss truly likes favre a lot..and they share the same "home run" mentality....

as a football fan..a fantasy player etc...even if this didnt result in the playoffs..it would still be quite entertaining..

i was looking forward to some fun training camps...

:ninja:1!st pick should have been better :dunno:

Thanks for the lengthy list of players you think are better.

3 picks for the Packers. Are they going to take that TE Kiper had going in the 2nd round or what? :dunno:

What's the deal with this Patrick fella that he's falling so far? How do the Packers not have a TE yet? :unsure:

Guess not. WTF do we need to draft a K for?

Because Rayner was ok...but not great...does not hurt at this point to have some competition.

"Crosby routinely kicks the ball through the uprights on kickoffs, a practice that invariably draws cheers from the home crowd"

The problem is that the "best available theory" is complete BS. You are telling me that you would take a QB with the first three picks if they were the "best available"? We need a friggin TE, get it done...oh wait, its the 7th round :pointstosky:

just saw a kicker get drafted :unsure:

"Crosby routinely kicks the ball through the uprights on kickoffs, a practice that invariably draws cheers from the home crowd"

I just read the bio on him at NFL.com. I get it now. This guy looks special.

######, ######, ######! Do you people really think you know more about GBs long term goals and needs than they do? You did the same thing last year. This is not Mike Sherman it is TT, he deservers the benefit of the doubt because he made you all look like fools last year.

Thanks for the lengthy list of players you think are better.

If you'd have been around you'd have known that I was in the camp of wanting help for favre. I wanted TE Olsen. Now that that is done ki$$ my A$$ :D

If you'd have been around you'd have known that I was in the camp of wanting help for favre. I wanted TE Olsen. Now that that is done ki$$ my A$$ :D

Yeah, Olsen would have been a great pick there.