Sign in to follow this  
Let Da Big Dog Eat

I am not going to rant on teachers anymore

As most of you know (who are here regularly) I am retiring to FL in Sept. I am 56 and self made. I have been in the financial industry all my life. I have ranted in here about kids who don't know basic arithmetic and teachers who don't care. So, I have decided to do something about it rather than just talk about it.

I am going to offer my services, free, to local HS's to teach a class in being an adult. I want to teach sophomores. I will propose a P/F class. No books to read but lot's of independent study/research. You will understand when you see my initial draft of a syllabus. What I am looking for is suggestions as to what I am missing. TY in advance for your help.

What Do I Need To Know About

Managing My Life?

A. Banking.

I. Checking Accounts

II. Savings Accounts

III. CD’s

IV. What best for me and why?

V. Debit Cards and Security

VI. Internet Security and Identity Theft

B. How much does a car actually cost?

I. Initial cost

II. Insurance

III. Maintenance and gas

IV. Repairs

C. What will an apartment cost me?

I. Rent

II. Utilities

III. Food

IV. Other factors

D. Continuing my education or getting a job right now?

I. The monetary differences over your lifetime

II. The lifestyle differences

III. What it truly costs

IV. Options to pay for continuing education.

E. I am about to take my first job, what questions do I need answered?

I. Health insurance

II. Retirement plans

III. Other benefits including growth opportunities.

F. Home buying

I. What’s a mortgage and how does it work?

II. Maintenance and other routine costs

III. Taxes and their impact

G. Investing

I. What’s a stock?

II. What’s a bond?

III. What’s an IRA?.

IV. What’s a Roth IRA?

V. What’s a mutual fund?

VI. Retirement plans revisited vs personal investments.

VII. Geez Louize, I’ve got a kid. What about their college expenses?

H. Wrap up

I. What’s a budget?

II. Decision making.

PS: I know I mixed up Roman and English caracters.

Just seems to me that parent's just don't teach this stuff.  Schools never have.

I didn't read your post but shite man teachers are under paid big time.

Can you imagine the little ###### they have to put up with>?

I didn't exhaustively go thru your syllabus but in general those all seem like good things to know. A few comments:

- I'm not an expert by any means in the area of HS education, but it seems like it would be a long road to get a district to include this if it is not in their gubment mandated criteria.

- Seems like a lot of stuff to cover in a year.

- I'd avoid the "I've got a kid" stuff. The idea is controversial enough, no need to lob a softball to your sure-to-be opponents.

- You might have better success offering this as an optional "class" not in the school per se, but sanctioned by the district as an extracurricular activity. Much like we do here with our taekwondo classes.

Anyway, I applaud your attempt to teach kids reality, GL. :wacko:

As most of you know (who are here regularly) I am retiring to FL in Sept. I am 56 and self made. I have been in the financial industry all my life. I have ranted in here about kids who don't know basic arithmetic and teachers who don't care. So, I have decided to do something about it rather than just talk about it.

I am going to offer my services, free, to local HS's to teach a class in being an adult. I want to teach sophomores. I will propose a P/F class. No books to read but lot's of independent study/research. You will understand when you see my initial draft of a syllabus. What I am looking for is suggestions as to what I am missing. TY in advance for your help.

Managing My Life?

A. Banking.

I. Checking Accounts

II. Savings Accounts

III. CD’s

I. Initial cost

II. Insurance

III. Maintenance and gas

IV. Repairs

I. Rent

II. Utilities

III. Food

IV. Other factors

III. What it truly costs

I. Health insurance

II. Retirement plans

F. Home buying

G. Investing

I. What’s a stock?

II. What’s a bond?

III. What’s an IRA?.

IV. What’s a Roth IRA?

V. What’s a mutual fund?

H. Wrap up

I. What’s a budget?

II. Decision making.

Just seems to me that parent's just don't teach this stuff.  Schools never have.

I bet they know a lot about # III

- I'm not an expert by any means in the area of HS education, but it seems like it would be a long road to get a district to include this if it is not in their gubment mandated criteria.

- Seems like a lot of stuff to cover in a year.

- I'd avoid the "I've got a kid" stuff. The idea is controversial enough, no need to lob a softball to your sure-to-be opponents.

Anyway, I applaud your attempt to teach kids reality, GL. :thumbsdown:

Actually my idea is to propose this opposite a gym class (rather than a study hall). Meaning 2-3 hours/week for one semester. I have given it substantial thought and it can be done in that time frame. The "I've got a kid" does not address the out of wedlock issue, it is just to adress what a kid costs and to an extent, let them know/appreciate what they cost their parents. But, the message will get across regardless.

Also, after posting this, I need to address credit issues. I will add it.

Thanks for your thoughts. I really want to do this. After 18 years of LL BB I need to move on and I love working with kids.

Actually my idea is to propose this opposite a gym class (rather than a study hall). Meaning 2-3 hours/week for one semester. I have given it substantial thought and it can be done in that time frame. The "I've got a kid" does not address the out of wedlock issue, it is just to adress what a kid costs and to an extent, let them know/appreciate what they cost their parents. But, the message will get across regardless.

Also, after posting this, I need to address credit issues. I will add it.

Thanks for your thoughts. I really want to do this. After 18 years of LL BB I need to move on and I love working with kids.

My "kid" comment is independent of the married state. My point is that you will have opponents, since this is outside of the "easy" established curriculum, probably from both parents and teachers. I don't see why you should jeopardize all of the other goodness of your concept for one controversial topic. Just saying. :thumbsdown:

Looks good.

I would add a section called "Debt is a Trap not a Tool".

With the credit card and car sections show them what things actually cost by borrowing.

Under the car section teach them about the initial value loss of a new car.

My "kid" comment is independent of the married state. My point is that you will have opponents, since this is outside of the "easy" established curriculum, probably from both parents and teachers. I don't see why you should jeopardize all of the other goodness of your concept for one controversial topic. Just saying. :thumbsdown:

You are probably right. I will likely deletorate it. But, my hope was to have a negative impact on teenage out of wedlock pregnancy. Guess you can't do everything at once. Maybe a better idea to just add after the class is established. TY.

Are you certified to teach in Florida? Are you certified to teach at all? You aren't going to get very far in this endeavor regardless of how well intended (and free) you may be without a teaching certification.

Florida Department of Education - Certification

Didn't look at your link. Not that far in the evolution of the idea yet. As I plan to offer my services free, I am not willing to spend time getting certified. Also, how do you determine the certification requirements for something that has never been taught before? Was hoping to get around the whole deal by making it a P/F class that is not a part of the standardized curiculum. All HS's now have electives....... And, if it is like 1-2 credits? I just want to fill a void that kids are rarely taught.

You are probably right. I will likely deletorate it. But, my hope was to have a negative impact on teenage out of wedlock pregnancy. Guess you can't do everything at once. Maybe a better idea to just add after the class is established. TY.

Didn't look at your link. Not that far in the evolution of the idea yet. As I plan to offer my services free, I am not willing to spend time getting certified. Also, how do you determine the certification requirements for something that has never been taught before? Was hoping to get around the whole deal by making it a P/F class that is not a part of the standardized curiculum. All HS's now have electives....... And, if it is like 1-2 credits? I just want to fill a void that kids are rarely taught.

Then you will not even get your foot in the door of a public high school...especially if the "class" will be available for credit. It doesn't matter if it is free...It doesn't matter if it is not part of a "standardardized" curriculum...It doesn't matter how well intended you are. You can not teach in a public school without a certification. It doesn't necessarily have to be the type of certification a regular teacher may have...there may be temporary, provisional, or alternative type certifications available. You would have to check with the state department of education. But no Board of Education is going to approve some Joe Schmo being placed in charge of an educational offering in their school.

You may have better luck going through some sort of Community sponsored educational program rather than a school system.

Looks good.

I would add a section called "Debt is a Trap not a Tool".

With the credit card and car sections show them what things actually cost by borrowing.

Under the car section teach them about the initial value loss of a new car.

Great suggestion. I have already added a Credit section. Since this is for HS kids, I don't think I need to address the new car vs used car debate. But, the "Debt is a Trap not a Tool" is greta. It will be incluced.

Then you will not even get your foot in the door of a public high school...especially if the "class" will be available for credit. It doesn't matter if it is free...It doesn't matter if it is not part of a "standardardized" curriculum...It doesn't matter how well intended you are. You can not teach in a public school without a certification. It doesn't necessarily have to be the type of certification a regular teacher may have...there may be temporary, provisional, or alternative type certifications available. You would have to check with the state department of education. But no Board of Education is going to approve some Joe Schmo being placed in charge of an educational offering in their school.

So, can you offer any suggestions of what I should do? I appreciate the good thoughts but you are raining on my parade big time.

There are not enough people who really wish to give something back to this world.  I am one of them.  I appreciate that you point out the obstacles, may I ask you for your help in overcoming them?  You apparently know far more than I do about this.  Any help is appreciated.

You may have better luck going through some sort of Community sponsored educational program rather than a school system.

Managing My Life?

A. Banking.

I. Checking Accounts

II. Savings Accounts

III. CD’s

I. Initial cost

II. Insurance

III. Maintenance and gas

IV. Repairs

I. Rent

II. Utilities

III. Food

IV. Other factors

III. What it truly costs

I. Health insurance

II. Retirement plans

F. Home buying

G. Investing

I. What’s a stock?

II. What’s a bond?

III. What’s an IRA?.

IV. What’s a Roth IRA?

V. What’s a mutual fund?

H. Wrap up

I. What’s a budget?

II. Decision making.

not to be that guy... any maybe i'm alone here... but all of these were taught in my HS economics class :banana:, i mean literally everything from roth IRAs to stocks/bonds and saving for kid's college and reitrement...

i mean it's a good idea... but it is offered at more schools than you'd think (granted i went to a private school)

First of all, at least on the public school level, the big problem is lack of qualifications. Inner city kids can't get the same quality of education, when guns and drugs are the big issue. Who wants to teach in that kind of environment? My little sister does, she's in Teach for America, but as far as I'm concerned, she's underqualified for the job. On the other hand, I couldn't do her job. Teach inner city LA kids, 12-14 ... fock that ... nobody wants that job!

You can blame it on the kids ... but it's the environment.

And if you want to teach ....teach. It's a noble profession. Doesn't pay great ... and in my case, I don't get summers off ... but I feel good about what do. I feel like I have an influnce on the future .... and it inspires me as well.

Not many jobs you can say that about.

I made 3 times what I make now, as an art director for a publisher, 7 years ago ... but I like my job.

So, can you offer any suggestions of what I should do? I appreciate the good thoughts but you are raining on my parade big time.

There are not enough people who really wish to give something back to this world. I am one of them. I appreciate that you point out the obstacles, may I ask you for your help in overcoming them? You apparently know far more than I do about this. Any help is appreciated.

I am not trying to rain on your parade...I truly appreciate the intent behind your idea, but I have now been in public education for 16 years, and the system (for some legitimate reasons and some not so legit) just isn't set up to make what you want to do an easy thing. As far as making suggestions, that is what I was trying to do...I apologize if it sounded as if I was just trying to derail your plan.

1. If you truly want to teach/do something in the public schools, I recommend you contact the State Board of Education for addition information. While school districts can set their own policies and procedures, there are certain things that must meet state requirements. Since you mentioned Florida, I provided a link to the Florida Department of Education. I am in Ohio, so I have no first hand knowledge of how things operate in Florida, but I imagine it can't be too drastically different.

2. My other suggestion was that perhaps you try to offer this course through some sort of community educational program. I know that where I live, the city offers all kinds of programming throughout the year including sports programs, business classes, basic computer skills classes, arts and crafts, youth camps, and a wide rage of special interest programming. This route might be more conducive to what you are trying to accomplish.

I'd be happy to help, if I can...

Sure ... I could stop teaching college and get a job at a HS, somewhere. It's not out of the realm of possibility, but I think, because of my education and, as of recent, experience ... the money is in college. I could make more, right now ... but it's that tenure track position that keeps me going. The assistant professor job at a major University.

It's not an easy job to land. Trust me. Often takes a Phd just to get considered.

We did stuff like this in a HS class...had to put together a household budget and everything.

I think it was called Civics.

A better name for your class would be a good start. "Being an Adult" just doesn't sound good.

1. As others have said, without certification, you would not be allowed to teach the courses your district already offers, much less a course whose curriculum has not been certified.

2. Some systems do teach this course, at least the majority of the things you have listed. It is called mathematical money management. Unfortunately, it is NOT required curriculum in the district in which I live.

3. The community education route isprobably your best option. No certification required, but the only people who will take the class are those that sign up on their own.

First of all, at least on the public school level, the big problem is lack of qualifications. Inner city kids can't get the same quality of education, when guns and drugs are the big issue. Who wants to teach in that kind of environment? My little sister does, she's in Teach for America, but as far as I'm concerned, she's underqualified for the job. On the other hand, I couldn't do her job. Teach inner city LA kids, 12-14 ... fock that ... nobody wants that job!

You can blame it on the kids ... but it's the environment.

And if you want to teach ....teach. It's a noble profession. Doesn't pay great ... and in my case, I don't get summers off ... but I feel good about what do. I feel like I have an influnce on the future .... and it inspires me as well.

Not many jobs you can say that about.

I made 3 times what I make now, as an art director for a publisher, 7 years ago ... but I like my job.

Shut the fock up. Imagine you turning this into a "look at me" thread. He already said he's financially set and would do this for free. If you're going to comment at least read and pay the fock attention, otherwise keep your dumbass comments out of the conversation.

not to be that guy... any maybe i'm alone here... but all of these were taught in my HS economics class :unsure:, i mean literally everything from roth IRAs to stocks/bonds and saving for kid's college and reitrement...

i mean it's a good idea... but it is offered at more schools than you'd think (granted i went to a private school)

It was called Consumer Economics in my high school.

Wow, and I learned most of that stuff on my own.

It's called LIFE 101.

But we better make sure that kids today don't

learn the hard way. That would be so traumatic to

those poor children. Boo Hoo.

1. As others have said, without certification, you would not be allowed to teach the courses your district already offers, much less a course whose curriculum has not been certified.

This is not necessarily true.

In FL, he could teach at a charter school. Many, if not most, of them do not require that their teachers be certified in the subject they are teaching. Many don't even require DEGREES. (This might help explain why charter schools consistently under-perform when compared to regular public schools).

Agree with a few others here in that this is standard curriculum in an Economics class. (at least here where I live it seems to be). Much of the items on your list were covered in my son's HS Economics class a few years ago as I remember helping him out with questions he had in regard to financial budgeting, checking accounts, financial family forecasting, etc.

Now as I recall, they did not go into such depth as the course you intend to lay out as it was only a brief project they worked on in that class - but I absolutely think they should have and could have had enough material to cover it for an entire semester. Whatever they did not cover, I tried to be sure I detailed for him myself.

It's vital stuff for them to know, and especially if they take an interest in learning about how it all works - it is definitely an advantage to them to learn it early. Even better if they are given financial responsibilities to back up what they are learning and put it to the test to see how it all works. ie; once they have a P/T job, they should open a checking account of their own, have a very low balance credit card in their name, a couple of their own bills (cell phone, car insurance, etc.) to have to pay for each month with the money they earn so that they can see how it all works and learn the responsibility that comes with the priviledge of having a line of credit as well as how important it is to keep your credit score high.

I like your idea, BigDog. As others have said, I don't think it will be as easy as just going in and making it happen like you want, unfortunately, but I think if you fine-tune your ideas and figure out the requirements for the district you are going into it is definitely a positive thing you are attempting here. Good luck and I hope you can make it happen! :)

Wow, and I learned most of that stuff on my own.

It's called LIFE 101.

But we better make sure that kids today don't

learn the hard way. That would be so traumatic to

those poor children. Boo Hoo.

I'm a big proponent of kids earning things, working to get spending money, etc. but I don't follow your logic here. If a school has an opportunity to teach some basics which help to build a base, why is that a bad thing? :dunno:

I would put in a subsection at least about CC. Really drive home this point, CC are preying on young foolish people, with low intro rates and little self control. They get under the thumb of the credit agencies and never get out as the debt can interest up so fast if uncontrolled. A lot of people are still crippled by both their credit debt, and their credit score for mistakes early in life.