Sign in to follow this  
VaTerp

How Would You Rank these Four Backs?

Redraft, PPR formats.

Having trouble sorting these 4 right now. All are likely late 1st, early 2nd rd options. How would you rank them and why?

My thoughts on these players. No particular order.

Bush- From what I've seen he is generally ranked higher by the FF talking heads and other forums than he is here. I have conflicting thoughts. Explosive, heavily involved in passing game, in a high octane offense w/ a top Qb, and should improve as a 2nd year pro. But Duece will get a lot of touches and TD opportunities as well. Potential to be huge but must be a lil more consisitent for me to consider him a true RB1.

Henry- Im pretty familiar w/ him after getting great surprise value last year and having him during his 2 best FF seasons in Buf. Like everyone says he should be a great fit for Denvers running scheme with his one cut and go style, and he's a tough runner who finishes runs well for his size. Drawbacks are that he has never been that great catching out of the backfield and Rb's have generally not got a lot of recieving love over the years. Plus, while he is very good I dont really consider him a game breaking type player and then there's the little thing about him being one failed test away from a year long suspension and Shanny recent history of shuffling Rb's. Henry is def. the starter but M Bell is very capable IMO.

Maroney- I could see him being first or last in this group. He will be on very good team that should have plenty late leads and is part of a very talented offense w/ an elite QB. He could have a monster breakout season but there are concerns about his durability and the fact that NE does like to spread the ball around a lot. And not just to the Wr's. K. Faulk had 43 receptions last year and who knows who will score in the red zone with NE. Backups Te's, LBs, Olinemen.

McGahee- Also took McGahee as my RB1 in the second last year (Manning) and survived only b/c of great value from Gore, Henry, and MBIII. Unfortunatly watched more than my fair share of BUF games last year and while their O-line was bad McGahee also lacked a lot of the burst and explosiveness that I thought he once had. But Bal is a better overall team, McGahee should be a focal point of the offense, and McNair is a veteran who will dump down a lot more than Losman did last year. Bal's O-line struggled last year but they did draft 2 young guards pretty high and McGahee strikes me as a front runner where the change of scenery may help him run a little bit harder.

:dunno:

I'd go....

Maroney: He's the #1 in N.E., and last year, although it was his rookie year and he got plenty of rest, he did look like a world beater. I think he'll finish as a top 6-7 back this year.

Henry: Fits Denver's running game to a T. Could be the best back they've had since T.D., and that could mean top 5 back this year, but I need to watch a few preseason games to be convinced, seeing I read an article about his having to adjust to the linemen actually being where they're suppose to be. So once he trusts them to open the holes, he should be the #1 of your list of 4, but it's too early to tell, for me anyways.

Bush: I see him as more of a receiving threat than rushing threat, and seeing it's ppr, he'll get plenty of reception points. I still think he's too small, and when he adjusts his game to pack on muscle and be able to hit the hole harder, I see an injury happening.

McGahee: Call me crazy, but I'm not as high on Baltimore's O-Line as all the so called "experts" are. Yeah, they have 2 rookie guards, but for the non-baltimore homer, that means that they have a young line, consisting of half rookies, and we all know how well rookie linemen play :dunno: I see him having a similar year this year as he did last year.

McGahee - teams style makes him my choice, skill positions help out weigh youth of line issue

Bush - too many options to be a top guy, duece would have to get hurt

Maroney - too many options with Brady at the helm

Henry - never trust the horse coach

Disclaimer: I do own Henry and Bush in one re-draft league we did early this year. I had the choice of ALL of these backs with my first pick and 2 of them with my 2nd pick.

Bush - in a PPR league he adds a ton of value and I love what Sean Payton is building down there in the bayou.

Henry - situation is just too good. I know Shanny has done the Denver-Flip-Flop on us, but Henry has a ton of talent and with the young QB, they should run-run-un.

McGahee - great situation for a good but not spectacular RB. The defense is great and Willis should get plenty of 4th quarter touches.

Maroney - long term, I like him better than Bush, but for 2007, I rank him last among the 4. I was disppointed in his running last year overall. He seemed to have trouble with the tough yards. I am a little bothered by reports of damage in that one shoulder. With all the new weapons in NE, just not sure if they will pound things with th running attack. I would not blame others for ranking him #1 among these 4, but at least right now, I would not.

This is a good question. I do not like McGahee so he would be last for me. I am not that convinced he will do that well.

Henry seems to be a great fit but Shanny............Mike Bell?

Bush I believe is a safe pick with PPR. I think he will continue to improve and hs big upside.

I like Maroney alot. His shoulder must be fine or they would have drafted a RB. There is no RB2 there just Faulk.

I would go

Maroney

Bush.........I think he has the most upside.

Henry

McGahee

Dang, that's actually become a hard debate for me...My gut tells me Henry is the #1 of that group, except trusting Shanny usually results in a punch to my gut. I also am not sold on McGahee, as pointed out mostly because of B-More's O-line. However, Jamal Lewis is a bum and Willis is much more explosive and versatile than JLew is. Bush is the wildcard, after he tasted the endzone toward the end of last season he was difficult to keep out of there. If pressed to rank them now, I would probably take Maroney over all of them but allow for the fact that if Henry is the primary running in Denver and if the Ravens line is better than I figure, both Henry and McGahee will have a better season than him, with Bush coming just behind. Crap, i don't want to think about it this hard...

My order would be:

BUSH- Having him last year in a ppr, his reception total makes him my top choice of these three. While his rushing numbers were poor last season, he really seemed to start to "get it" from about week 10 on. I expect him to still split time with Deuce and lose out on GL carries. However, look at it like this: if he has a six catch game (which he had multiple times last season), that is equivalent to a 1 yd TD, so, I am not too concerned about his short TD total. Also, his big play ability and overall improvement I expect make him my top choice of these four (and, probably in my top 6 in a ppr league).

MARONEY- I also had him last year and saw the flashes of brilliance that everyone talks about (especially his torching of Cinncy early in the year). All the pieces seem to be in place for Maroney to have a huge year...he very easily could be the best of this bunch and top 5. That being said, my expectations are a bit tempered, as I want to see for sure how exclusively he is going to be utilized by the coaching staff. Also, I am not sure I would expect many catches, as Kevin Faulk generally fills that role. Finally, durability is a bit of a concern, as he was banged up for much of the end of last season.

HENRY- I must admit, I have never been a huge Travis Henry fan. I know he had a couple of big years in Buffalo, but, I just never got on his bandwagon. He is, though, in a great position to succeed this year and could put up first round numbers. My biggest hesitation with him: The Rat. Who knows what Shanny will decide to do with his RB corps; every year, it seems like we know who the guy will be in June and it turns out to be someone else (or worse, three or four other guys sharing time). While it sems like we shouldn't, isn't it possible that we will see a RBBC with Mike Bell? Coglan's Law #74-Never stake your first round fortune on the Rat.

MCGAHEE- Baltimore's line is young and inexperienced, strike #1. McGahee looked extremely average last season running for Buffalo, strike #2. He probably won't catch more than 20 balls, so, in comparison with a guy like Bush who could catch about 80 (a difference of 60 points), that means 10 short tds needed just to start off even. Strike 3, your out. In fact, I don't think I'd take Willis until late third or fourth in a ppr league...I know he won't last that long, but, I am not sold on him being anything more than a middle of the road starter.

I'll go with

1. Maroney - talented RB on an above average offense, with an above average defense to keep games close so the team can continue to run. I believe he will be a top 5 back this year, who could be drafted as late as 1.08 - 1.11

2. Bush - I still think he's a bit slight of frame to be a durable back over a career in the NFL, but he's young & healthy now, and McAllister is one awkward hiccup from another injury. Even splitting carries, Bush was fairly valuable last season, and I could see him improving in his second season.

3. Henry - nice comeback for him....but hard to trust the Rat. I'm betting Henry will be part of a RBBC with someone that no one's ever heard of by week 3.

4. McGahee - I took a lot of heat around her for bagging on this guy. I thought post-injury he was a plodder who lacked burst and danced around looking for the hole too much. The last couple of years haven't really done anything to change that opinion. I think he'll be a bust again in 2007 for FFB.

In a PPR league, 6 pts per rec/rush td, 1 pt per 10 yds rush/rec

1. Maroney- Great situation in NE. This kid was an animal in college despite timeshare and looked real good at time last year. If he stays healthy, he will be top 5.

2. Bush- Monster in the passing game. There is some concern about the timeshare in NO with D-Mac, but there will be enough love to go around in the big easy.

3. Henry- Great situation in Denver. He should flourish in Denver. I do not consider Bell a threat at all. If he stays healthy, he could crack top 6-7.

4. McGahee- I like him significantly less than the other three. In fact, I do not believe he should be mentioned with the others. He has the name, but not the production. He is talented, but he is going from a terrible situation in Buffalo to a bad situation in B-more. Their O-line is not good and Ogden is not near what he once was. He should finish in the 14-17 range with potential for a bit more.

Just my thoughts.

Henry: Fits Denver's running game to a T. Could be the best back they've had since T.D., and that could mean top 5 back this year, but I need to watch a few preseason games to be convinced, seeing I read an article about his having to adjust to the linemen actually being where they're suppose to be. So once he trusts them to open the holes, he should be the #1 of your list of 4, but it's too early to tell, for me anyways.

You really think Henry will be better than Portis was in Denver? Not saying its cant happen but talent wise Portis was/is measurably better than Henry has ever been. Also, what article that you are referring too about Henry and the linemen. I'd be interested in reading

4. McGahee - I took a lot of heat around her for bagging on this guy. I thought post-injury he was a plodder who lacked burst and danced around looking for the hole too much. The last couple of years haven't really done anything to change that opinion. I think he'll be a bust again in 2007 for FFB.

Seems like the opinion is forming that McGahee is 4th of the bunch. Scooter, when you say that Willis has been a plodder post-injury I assume that would be his entire NFL career then. It seemed like he had a little more burst during the season where he scored 13 TDs (really his only good FF season) but I really dont remember actaully watching him too much that year.

I thought maybe he had lost some of his explosiveness after bulking up 2 years ago but I looked up his stats and his ypc has never been higher than 4.0. That supports your argument that maybe he has never really been all that explosive since he has been in the league.

Anyways appreciate the feedback. Keep it coming.

Bush - In a ppr I can't see how you wouldn't take him first.

Henry - I believe he's being undervalued. I think he's perfect for the Denver system and has a great chance at top 5.

Maroney - If healthy he could be outstanding. I have a feeling they will count his carries though and try not to overwork him which makes him 3rd on this list.

McGahee - Not a big fan. He's got a lot to proove with his 3.9 YPC and he's not shown that he's the a huge ppr threat.

Scooter, when you say that Willis has been a plodder post-injury I assume that would be his entire NFL career then. It seemed like he had a little more burst during the season where he scored 13 TDs (really his only good FF season) but I really don't remember actually watching him too much that year.

I thought maybe he had lost some of his explosiveness after bulking up 2 years ago but I looked up his stats and his ypc has never been higher than 4.0. That supports your argument that maybe he has never really been all that explosive since he has been in the league.

Yes - I pretty much mean his entire career.

He's had one or 2 long TD runs that I can remember (had one last year), but from what I saw those were outrunning LBs, not DBs. Pre-injury I thought he was a power-speed combo - not exceptionally fast, but with elusiveness that made up for some of that. But since he wrecked his knee he's been a shadow of his college days. Then he bulked up, presumably to become more of a power back, but I just don't see him running over people.

Far more often I've seen him taken down in the open field.

I think he could be something of a sleeper since there's the off-chance that he could put it all together on a team that tends to lean on the run, but the following leads me to believe that is unlikely:

1. If he were looking that good, why would the Bills have dealt him?

2. Baltimore passing game doesn't scare anyone, and facing 8 man fronts is exactly what McGahee doesn't need

3. Baltimore's O-Line is a shadow of the greatness that allowed Jamal Lewis to rush for 2000 yards.

I have McGahee as one of my top players to avoid this year.

4. McGahee...danced around looking for the hole too much.

/quote]

:unsure: The women of Buffalo agree with that assessment.

I'd say

Maroney - He's got the all-around game. While Faulk will spell him, he's not a liability in the passing game the way Dillon was, so I see him still getting his touches.

Henry - I'm not as high on him as allot of people, but he put up good numbers on a below-average offence last year. With Denver's running scheme, he could put up some good numbers (#2 RB good, not #1 RB).

Bush - I think Deuce is going to surprise allot of people this year. He's a very talented RB, and now 2 years removed from his surgery. I don't see him losing any more carries to Bush, which keeps Reggie's value down.

McGahee - This offence is not very good. Below average QB, mediocre WR's, and an average O-line. Plus, McGahee gets nicked up allot. I'll let someone else take him.

I'd say

Maroney - He's got the all-around game. While Faulk will spell him, he's not a liability in the passing game the way Dillon was, so I see him still getting his touches.

Henry - I'm not as high on him as allot of people, but he put up good numbers on a below-average offence last year. With Denver's running scheme, he could put up some good numbers (#2 RB good, not #1 RB).

Bush - I think Deuce is going to surprise allot of people this year. He's a very talented RB, and now 2 years removed from his surgery. I don't see him losing any more carries to Bush, which keeps Reggie's value down.

McGahee - This offence is not very good. Below average QB, mediocre WR's, and an average O-line. Plus, McGahee gets nicked up allot. I'll let someone else take him.

Sound reasoning. My worry with Henry is that he can just as easily be 4th or 1st. I'm not sure where to put him.

You really think Henry will be better than Portis was in Denver? Not saying its cant happen but talent wise Portis was/is measurably better than Henry has ever been. Also, what article that you are referring too about Henry and the linemen. I'd be interested in reading

By Mike Klis Denver Post Staff Writer

Matches may be made in heaven, but rarely do they instantly mesh down here on football fields.

Look at new running back Travis Henry and the Broncos' old rush-block system. Henry is so good, he gained at least 1,200 yards for the mediocre likes of Buffalo and Tennessee in the three seasons in which he played at least 14 games.

He joins a Broncos blocking system so consistently good, it helped turn the likes of Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson and Tatum Bell into 1,000-yard rushers.

On paper, Henry and the Broncos figure to pair like peanut butter and jelly, Andretti and asphalt, Manning and Harrison. And maybe they will, although not yet. Not after two mini-camp sessions at Dove Valley.

"The No. 1 thing I've noticed is we're running outside zone and inside zone and that's my forte, but what I have to do is trust the linemen," Henry said as he came off the field Thursday. "I know they're going to be there, but this is my second day and you can tell I'm kind of timid on certain runs. The No. 1 key is to get in the flow with the offensive linemen."

In other words, on plays when Henry starts right and makes the Broncos' famous one-cutback to the left, he shouldn't be waiting to see the block before shifting into a higher gear. He has to explode off the cut knowing the block will be there.

"It's going to be there," Henry said. "Once I get that down and get it out of my head, I can go and 'boom,' play my game."

link