Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

JetDoc Mock Analysis

I know a couple of you have already been doing this elsewhere.....feel free to cut and paste your thoughts into this thread or not. We're getting close to the end...close enough that I thought it would be fun to start taking a look at things........

Vikings4ever

1.01 LaDanian Tomlinson, RB KCC

2.12 Torry Holt, WR STL

3.01 Cedric Benson, RB CHI

4.12 Jamal Lewis, RB CLE

5.01 Darrell Jackson, WR SFO

6.12 Jericho Cotchery, WR NYJ

7.01 Kellen Winslow, WR CLE

8.12 Jay Cutler, QB DEN

9.01 Michael Turner, RB SDC

10.12 Brandon Jackson, RB GBP

11.01 Steve McNair, QB BAL

12.12 Dwayne Bowe, WR KC

Obviously, this is one of the best teams out there, but in looking at it closely, I do have some mixed feelings. Mostly positive, though. Running back is the strength of this team and I think any of us would love to have this kind of scoring power and depth at that position. I am not a big fan of Jamal Lewis, but Bomb has made a good case that Cleveland should be able to run block this year, so maybe Lewis will be solid. D. Jackson is a bit of a question mark going to a new team and Winslow's health is always a concern, but Cotchery is a pick with some real upside. I liked that pick. Quarterbacks are a little soft, but Cutler's numbers should be pretty good given what he showed last year towards the end of the season. Again, adding Turner and Jackson for depth at RB was really good.

QB grade: B-

RB grade: A

WR/TE grade: B+

Overall team grade: A-

thedanzone

1.02 Steven Jackson, RB STL

2.11 Thomas Jones, RB NYJ

3.02 Reggie Wayne, WR IND

4.11 Hines Ward, WR PIT

5.02 Laverneous Coles, WR NYJ

6.11 Joey Galloway, WR TBB

7.02 Lamont Jordan, RB OAK

8.11 Brett Favre, QB GBP

9.02 DeShaun Foster, RB CAR

10.11 JaMarcus Russell, QB OAK

11.02 Chad Pennington, QB NYJ

12.11 Dallas Clark, WR/TE IND

The strength of this team is the first two picks. After that, there were plenty of "safe" picks aimed at building on that solid foundation of Jackson & Jones. The end result? A solid team, but one with maybe some limits in terms of upside. Ward and Coles will be consistent. Galloway will have his occasional great week to go with some relatively quiet weeks. Favre will generally be serviceable as a starter, but no longer spectacular. In the end, this team is one of if not the safest bet to finish in the top 5 or 6. There is little risk with this team....probably why remote likes it so much. But is there a great enough reward to make it a title contender? Not sure. That's why we play this game....to find out. Good job here, though. Good job laying a good foundation and then protecting the investment with solid, low-risk selections. Russell being the only high-risk, possibly little outcome pick.

QB grade: C+

RB grade: A-

WR/TE grade: A-

Overall team grade: B+

Fumbleweed

1.03 Larry Johnson, RB KCC

2.10 Marvin Harrison, WR IND

3.03 Carson Palmer, QB CIN

4.10 Marion Barber III, RB DAL

5.03 Adrian Peterson, RB MIN

6.10 Jon Kitna, QB DET

7.03 Bernard Berrian, WR CHI

8.10 Vincent Jackson, WR SDC

9.03 Alge Crumpler, WR ATL

10.10 Brandon Marshall, WR DEN

11.03 Joe Horn, WR ATL

12.10 Jerome Harrison, RB CLE

I like this team for the most part, but like any team in a strong league or mock, there are holes. The team is strong at QB and has tremendous upside at RB, but there's no guarantee that Barber or Peterson will be able to break away from good competition on their teams at the RB position. Beyond Harrison, the WRs are a little suspect also, but that's what picking two QBs in six rounds will often get you. I think this team has a good, explosive element to it. It is the kind of team I would be satisfied with in a real draft, but although there's potential to be sure to be a super team, there's not the security and safety here that exist with the first two teams- higher risk, more holes.

QB grade: A

RB grade: B+

WR/TE grade: B

remote controller

1.04 Frank Gore, RB SFO

2.09 Maurice Jones-Drew, RB JAX

3.04 Larry Fitzgerald, WR ARI

4.09 Drew Brees, QB NOS

5.04 Ahman Green, RB HOU

6.09 Chris Chambers, WR MIA

7.04 Kevin Jones, RB DET

8.09 Greg Jennings, WR GBP

9.04 DJ Hackett, WR SEA

10.09 Jake Delhomme, QB CAR

11.04 Chris Cooley, TE WASH

12.09 Michael Robinson, RB SF

I like what remote did here because he didn't stick to the typical plan when he chose Brees at 4.09...he was flexible and in the process, chose the best player available, IMO, at that time. RB is deep on this team as is usual with remote, but there is some concern about each of the running backs sans Gore. Chambers needs to bounce back this year, also, or else this WR corps is a little suspect. Bottom line: If Fred Taylor gets hurt, this team takes off most likely and makes a strong push...if not, there may not be enough explosiveness in this team to be elite. In other words, the faith that remote put in Jones-Drew will need to reap dividends.

QB grade: A-

WR/TE grade: B-

Shane Falco

1.05 Shaun Alexander, RB SEA

2.08 Reggie Bush, RB NOS

3.05 Roy Williams, WR DET

4.08 Randy Moss, WR NEP

5.05 Donovan McNabb, QB PHI

6.08 Fred Taylor, RB JAX

7.05 Donte Stallworth, WR NEP

8.08 Philip Rivers, QB SDC

9.05 Kevin Curtis, WR PHI

10.08 Drew Bennett, WR STL

11.05 Tony Hunt, RB PHI

12.08 T.J. Duckett, RB DET

This is a much higher risk team than say dan's or remote's, but there is plenty of potential here. There's also the potential for several things to go wrong. Alexander's not the "safe" pick that he once was, Bush is still carving out a role, Roy Williams could be affected by Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss is....well Randy Moss and may not have much left, McNabb is coming off an injury.......you get the picture. All of these players sans Bush were more highly regarded during the 2006 draft than they are this year. What that means is that either this team is going to rebound and thus explode or else several players will not answer the bell the way they need to for Shane's team to thrive. Curtis and Bennett were good depth picks, but they're on new teams/new systems also. So, this may indeed be the hardest team to figure out. Worlds of potential, plenty of risk/danger. Not dull.

QB grade: A-

WR/TE grade: B

Clash of the Titans

1.06 Brian Westbrook, RB PHI

2.07 Terrell Owens, WR DAL

3.06 Deuce McAllister, RB NOS

4.07 Plaxico Burress, WR NYG

5.06 DeAngelo Williams, RB CAR

6.07 Santana Moss, WR WAS

7.06 Matt Hasslebeck, QB SEA

8.07 Ladell Betts, RB WAS

9.06 Ben Rothlisberger, QB PIT

10.07 Vernon Davis, WR SFO

11.06 Ronald Curry, WR OAK

12.07 Leon Washington, RB NYJ

There are a lot of players on this team that I personally would stay away from (Owens and Burress to name two), but there's no denying that guys like Burress, Moss, and Hasselbeck were good values where they were picked. It's difficult to have a team that's balanced in a mock like this one, but somehow Clash has achieved just that: balance. There is talent distributed fairly evenly amongst the three positions. Generally, I like a balanced team, but I also like one that has a bit more of an explosive element to it. Maybe that's the only thing I see missing here as the running back beyond Westbrook don't excite me much. Overall, though, this draft just seemed to get better as the picks went forward.

QB grade: B+

WR grade: A-

Overall team Grade: A-

Jetdoc

1.07 Joseph Addai, RB IND

2.06 Steve Smith, WR CAR

3.07 Anquan Boldin, WR ARI

4.06 Marshawn Lynch, RB BUF

5.07 Marc Bulger, QB STL

6.06 LenDale White, RB TEN

7.07 Vernand Morency, RB GBP

8.06 Muhsin Muhammad, WR CHI

9.07 Santonio Holmes, WR PIT

10.06 Derrick Mason, WR BAL

11.07 Michael Clayton WR TB

12.06 Byron Leftwich QB JAX

Silly as this sounds, this whole draft may hinge on Marshawn Lynch. I hated the LenDale White pick, so to me, that put more pressure on Lynch to be "the guy" in Buffalo. If he excels in that role, there isn't anything stopping this team, in my mind, from being very good. Addai should be solid, Smith could be tremendous, and I like Bulger a lot better than many people do. The reality here is that I like every pick Jet made except the White pick. If Lynch or Morency can secure the starting gig for their respective teams, this could be a dangerous team, IMO

RB grade: B-

WR/TE grade: A

robb

1.08 Willie Parker, RB PIT

2.05 Peyton Manning, QB IND

3.08 Cadillac Williams, RB TBB

4.05 Antonio Gates, WR SDC

5.08 Jerious Norwood, RB ATL

6.05 Braylon Edwards, WR CLE

7.08 Terry Glenn, WR DAL

8.05 Todd Heap, WR BAL

9.08 Anthony Thomas, RB BUF

10.05 Alex Smith, QB SFO

11.08 Isaac Bruce, WR STL

12.05 Bobby Wade, WR MIN

I have mixed feelings about this team, partly because I love Peyton Manning as an anchor for a team and also loathe Cadillac Williams as I suffered through the season with him last year and won't do it again anytime soon. Parker's role is also not clearly defined with a new coaching staff, so he's a bit of a risk that high. There is some young talent on this team, which is positive with Norwood and Edwards (I liked both of those picks), but I thought Gates went too high in this format and I think overall this team could be up and down all season long. Still, I appreciated Robb jumping in there and joining us this year and I hope he had a good time.

QB grade: A

RB grade: B-

WR/TE grade: C

Overall team grade: B

Da Bomb

1.09 Rudi Johnson, RB CIN

2.04 Clinton Portis, RB WAS

3.09 Javon Walker, WR DEN

4.04 Marques Colston, WR NOS

5.09 Julius Jones, RB DAL

6.04 Deion Branch, WR SEA

7.09 Matt Leinart, QB ARI

8.04 Matt Jones, WR JAX

9.09 Jerry Porter, WR OAK

10.04 Reuben Droughns, RB NYG

11.09 Dwayne Jarrett WR CAR

12.04 Anthony Gonzalez WR IND

Well, there are things here that I like and don't like. I don't like that you have one QB because it really puts pressure on Leinart to excel and if he doesn't, you'll be looking for some sort of stop gap all season with no backup to speak of. I'm not high on Portis or Julius Jones this year, so those picks hardly thrilled me. What I did like was the three receivers you grabbed. I think Walker, Colston, and Branch makes for a very solid 1-2-3 punch at WR and if Leinart ends up being as good as you've projected him to be, this team could be quite good in that it is very balanced. I also like picking two rookie WRs to finish things off. Why not? Higher upside, low risk picks make for a good way to end a draft. All in all, I see lots of good players here. I just don't see a great player anywhere. That could be the downfall. Just a thought.

QB grade: C+

WR/TE grade: A-

Overall grade: B

NAn

1.10 Laurence Maroney, RB NEP

2.03 Edgerrin James, RB ARI

3.10 Donald Driver, WR GBP

4.03 Lee Evans, WR BUF

5.10 Tatum Bell, RB DET

6.03 Mark Clayton, WR BAL

7.10 Tony Romo, QB DAL

8.03 Vince Young, QB TEN

9.10 Mike Bell, RB DEN

10.03 Eddie Kennison, WR KCC

11.10 Michael Bennett, RB KCC

12.03 Chad Jackson, WR NE

Teams just don't look as explosive when they're arising from this spot in the draft and the one thing I learned this draft (actually one of many things) is that I don't want to pick this late. NAn did fine from this spot, but since I have projected Edgerrin James as a mid-third round pick, it's hard for me to get past that when evaluating the overall roster. I thought in some cases, NAn reached for players, but if they are players he likes, there's no harm in doing that at all. I do think Maroney has huge potential as long as NE doesn't sign anyone else and I like the WRs pretty well, too. Some of the depth didn't thrill me much, but that's again just personal preference. If I could just feel better about James, I would probably really like this team. As is, he's a stumbling block for me...but kudos to NAn for drafting in a really tough spot.

QB grade: B

Miller Time 21

1.11 Willis McGahee, RB BAL

2.02 Chad Johnson, WR CIN

3.11 Brandon Jacobs, RB NYG

4.02 Andre Johnson, WR HOU

5.11 Calvin Johnson, WR DET

6.02 Warrick Dunn, RB ATL

7.11 Eli Manning, QB NYG

8.02 Dominic Rhodes, RB OAK

9.11 Brandon Jones, WR TEN

10.02 Michael Vick, QB ATL

11.11 Troy Williamson, WR MIN

12.02 David Givens, WR TEN

Talk about a make or break player: Meet Brandon Jacobs. This draft really hinges on what Jacobs becomes because if he turns into a true #1 or a very solid #2 FF RB, then there is plenty of potential for this team to be really good. I don't care for Eli much from a fantasy standpoint, but I did like the WR group here and I think they will get better as the year goes on and Calvin Johnson gains experience. Again, no team from the #11 hole is going to look awesome in a tough mock like this one, but I think there are some good elements here. Jacobs just makes or breaks this team, though, and I think that will be the case with many teams come fall.

QB grade: C

Overall team grade: B

Fantasy King

1.12 Ronnie Brown, RB MIA

2.01 Travis Henry, RB DEN

3.12 TJ Housmanzadeh, WR CIN

4.01 Tom Brady, QB NEP

5.12 Reggie Brown, WR PHI

6.01 Chester Taylor, RB MIN

7.12 Tony Gonzalez, WR KCC

8.01 Jeremy Shockey, WR NYG

9.12 Chris Henry, RB TEN

10.01 Devery Henderson, WR NOS

11.12 J.P Losman, QB BUF

12.01 Lorenzo Booker, RB MIA

About halfway through this draft, FK made the comment that he had a lot of work to do in terms of getting ready for the season and that this mock caught him more unprepared than he realized he was. That's cool, because FK is a terrific fantasy guy and has done very well in the leagues/mocks I've been in with him and realizing you're not where you need to be in June is no big deal...whereas realizing it in late August is not great. That being said, I thought this was a pretty suspect draft from the get-go and really thought some of the picks didn't add up for me. The WR corps is pretty weak, which is no big deal with a power running game or a mega-stud QB. But, unless you put Brady in that category (I don't), you don't really have that and what you're left with is the hope that the first two picks can carry this team a long way. The Chris Henry pick could end up being a pretty good one and I liked getting Henderson late. So, not all that bad in many ways...I just am very disenchanted with Ronnie Brown as anyone's #1 pick and I think it is hard for to see this as a powerhouse team with him as the front man.

WR/TE grade: C-

Overall team grade: B-

Thanks for the input Fumble. I usually am the epitome of safe, unexciting drafting, so Gore, MJD, and a 4th round Qb. was kinda exciting for an old heart. I look at MJD like Barber. I see 12 Td's and think he we'll easily have a combined 1200. I don't see the Boys lightening Barbers role, and I don't see the jags pulling back the reigns on Drew. Chambers is a key to my team, and I need him to step back up, but I am really high on Hackett, and and feel he will be the Givens that keeps Branch from being anything but a lowside #2.

Thanks for the input Fumble. I usually am the epitome of safe, unexciting drafting, so Gore, MJD, and a 4th round Qb. was kinda exciting for an old heart. I look at MJD like Barber. I see 12 Td's and think he we'll easily have a combined 1200. I don't see the Boys lightening Barbers role, and I don't see the jags pulling back the reigns on Drew. Chambers is a key to my team, and I need him to step back up, but I am really high on Hackett, and and feel he will be the Givens that keeps Branch from being anything but a lowside #2.

Yeah, Barber is definitely a poor man's Jones-Drew

Hey Fumble good stuff.

No issues with the 'reached on a couple players', just wanted to clarify.

I actually felt I got just right to good value with my picks (aside from Maroney, who I may have to rethink as a late 1st rnder, but consensus seems to be otherwise), so to make sure it's just not my perception: Who do you consider reaches?

Hey Fumble good stuff.

No issues with the 'reached on a couple players', just wanted to clarify.

I actually felt I got just right to good value with my picks (aside from Maroney, who I may have to rethink as a late 1st rnder, but consensus seems to be otherwise), so to make sure it's just not my perception: Who do you consider reaches?

Aside from James, I thought you went a bit early on Driver and both Bells. But, the reaches weren't significant. Just had those players valued a bit differently than you did, I suppose.

Aside from James, I thought you went a bit early on Driver and both Bells. But, the reaches weren't significant. Just had those players valued a bit differently than you did, I suppose.

Cool...will be seeing where those players fall in coming mocks to get a more accurate guage of value.

Admit it was tough at this spot to draft.

I think we all are going to have to reconsider where is right for driver, as he has proven his worth every year and been a round 5 bargain. Late 3 might be about right. Even this year's JetDoc had an abnormal, earlier wr run of sorts.

fumble, youve mentioned a coule of times wiht my roster that the thing you dislike the most is the lack of one go-to star player, and i know that was the argument against rudi johnson in the first as well. my question is what would you have done differently to remedy that? i know one solution will be to take peyton manning -- and i believe you wouldve taken him at 1.9 if you were in my spot. did i have any other chances to find a go-to star player? i dont know if there are more than maybe 6 of those that jump out at me this year, and at 9 i didnt have a chance. my only guess is that i couldve gone with TO at 2.4 instead of portis, but honestly the portis pick was as much taking a chance at one of those star players as anything else. hes the one guy who can bury my team but who could also quite easily be a top 5 fantasy player.

one other question. im not surprised that you dont like my idea of just running with one QB, though i think leinart has a good a schedule as anyone to try that with. i dont believe id ever bench him for anyone other than a top 5 QB outside of his bye week and a week 4 game @ baltimore. if you have time, glance at a cards schedule and tell me if you think otherwise... and if so, where in my draft would you have grabbed a backup who couldve made my roster better? the backup QB decision was one i kept thinking about at each pick, but in the end there just werent any that stood out as any better than tarvaris jackson. the one exception was delhomme who i couldve taken instead of porter/droughns in the 9th/10th swing.

I think we all are going to have to reconsider where is right for driver, as he has proven his worth every year and been a round 5 bargain. Late 3 might be about right. Even this year's JetDoc had an abnormal, earlier wr run of sorts.

i definitely dont remember driver going in the 5th lately, at least not last year. i think he was a high 4th already last year. and yes, he certainly has proven his worth there.

im surprised but you seem pretty down on brady compared to the norm. imo hes about even with palmer and manning as the top 3 QBs going into the year, though to be fair, probably 3rd. i think hes the best value of the 3 because of that though, coming in the 4th. you seem to disagree, ranking him lower than mcnabb and equal to bulger, also equal to a hasselbeck/roeth. that surprised me.

where is leinart in your rankings? is he very low, or is my lower grade because of the lack of any backup on the roster, or a combination?

Gread read Fumble top to bottom and thanks for takin it easy on me, I definitely deserve an F for this draft. I did stuff I never do - I drafted a QB early, I reached to get 2 RBs early instead of taking the best player available whether it be Peyton Manning at QB or Chad Johnson at WR. I dont like Ronnie Brown at all but figured it would be nice to get 2 starting RBs out of the way because drafting 12th will leave me waiting a long time until my next picks.

I do think Tom Brady is going to be a stud this year, but I still think you can't draft a QB this early especially in a 12 teamer. This is how I would draft if I were really prepared for this year.

1.12 - Travis Henry

2.01 - Chad Johnson

3.12 - Marshawn Lynch

4.01 - Marcus Colston

5.12 - Jon Kitna

6.01 - Chester Taylor

7.12 - Mike Bell

8.01 - Tony Gonzalez

9.12 - Chris Henry

10.01 - Devery Henderson

Not saying this team is going to light the world on fire either but definitely like the potential much more - drafting from the 12 hole I knew would be very tough for me, I play in 2 10-team leagues so it's a little tough to adjust to these 12 teamers - these drafts are definitely rough. It was fun everyone, looking forward to some more mocks this year.

fumble, youve mentioned a coule of times wiht my roster that the thing you dislike the most is the lack of one go-to star player, and i know that was the argument against rudi johnson in the first as well. my question is what would you have done differently to remedy that? i know one solution will be to take peyton manning -- and i believe you wouldve taken him at 1.9 if you were in my spot. did i have any other chances to find a go-to star player? i dont know if there are more than maybe 6 of those that jump out at me this year, and at 9 i didnt have a chance. my only guess is that i couldve gone with TO at 2.4 instead of portis, but honestly the portis pick was as much taking a chance at one of those star players as anything else. hes the one guy who can bury my team but who could also quite easily be a top 5 fantasy player.

one other question. im not surprised that you dont like my idea of just running with one QB, though i think leinart has a good a schedule as anyone to try that with. i dont believe id ever bench him for anyone other than a top 5 QB outside of his bye week and a week 4 game @ baltimore. if you have time, glance at a cards schedule and tell me if you think otherwise... and if so, where in my draft would you have grabbed a backup who couldve made my roster better? the backup QB decision was one i kept thinking about at each pick, but in the end there just werent any that stood out as any better than tarvaris jackson. the one exception was delhomme who i couldve taken instead of porter/droughns in the 9th/10th swing.

i definitely dont remember driver going in the 5th lately, at least not last year. i think he was a high 4th already last year. and yes, he certainly has proven his worth there.

Your point is well taken and I admit that my analysis was slanted more in the direction of how a team shaped up vs. how the drafter did with his respective position.

To me, a great player is somebody whose ceiling is very high and there is enormous potential. The problem this year, like you said, is that some of the potentially "great" players also come with some risk. For example, Laurence Maroney has a chance to be great this year in terms of fantasy production. Rudi Johnson probably only has the chance to continue being what he always has been- a very good option at RB week in and week out. Problem is, Rudi comes with little risk, while Maroney comes with moderate risk. My position is always that I want at least one potential "stud", maybe two if possible. A real impact player. Someone who will blow up in terms of points at least 3-4 times a year and overwhelm an opponent. While Rudi is not that kind of player, he is indeed quite valuable if you have someone else like that.....because he's so solid and consistent. Rudi is the best #2 FF RB I can think of to have....problem is that you can't get him in the second round.

So, back to your question: What would I have done differently? Before I get into that, I want to say that I totally respect your difference in draft strategy. I do not believe there is a right and a wrong in this. When it comes to FF, part of the joy of playing is seeing all the different ways people try to put a team together. My way isn't the right way....it's just my way. So, just because I share what I might have done doesn't mean it was the right thing to do....of course.

I have Maroney and Henry ranked higher than Johnson, so I would have taken one of them at 1.09 to begin....but again, I like to swing for the fences sometimes and Rudi is a MUCH safer pick than either of them. Having done that, I would have taken Manning in the second or an impact WR to give me some high upside.

If, however, I did choose Rudi in the first, I would want a high impact player to pair him with. I don't believe Portis is that with Betts breathing down his neck and the miles he's already accumulated on his smallish body. Reggie Bush is an example of a guy I might have paired with Rudi. Higher upside....perfect compliment to Rudi's consistency. Steve Smith is another, but I know how you feel about Smith, so that's cool. Manning would, of course, also be in the "stud" category.

Again, I don't have any of your RBs in my top ten......and your QB is outside of my top ten at QB (although just barely), so when I say you don't have a go-to player, that's what I mean. I do like your overall depth. You're not weak anywhere. If anything, you're one of the teams with the fewest "holes" in the roster. You did a much better job at filling the gaps in than I did....but that is my nature. I'm a bit of a riverboat gambler who tries to stockpile players with high ceilings and then turns them loose in September.

im surprised but you seem pretty down on brady compared to the norm. imo hes about even with palmer and manning as the top 3 QBs going into the year, though to be fair, probably 3rd. i think hes the best value of the 3 because of that though, coming in the 4th. you seem to disagree, ranking him lower than mcnabb and equal to bulger, also equal to a hasselbeck/roeth. that surprised me.

where is leinart in your rankings? is he very low, or is my lower grade because of the lack of any backup on the roster, or a combination?

I'm not down on Brady per se.....I'm down on Randy Moss. I think he's pretty one-dimensional at this point and thus fairly easy to cover. Even easier to frustrate. He's not into doing what it takes to get better anymore with physical skills diminishing, that's not a good thing. So, my knock on Brady has everything to do with him having three new "weapons" this year that he's never used in a game situation. And, Stallworth is a chronic hamstring guy....something that could limit his effectiveness yet again.

I have Leinart at #11. I'm about to rank him ahead of Vick with all of the distractions there, so he'll likely be #10 for me soon. He'll be pretty solid for you. I just think you needed a reliable backup. What you'd be left to choose from if this was a real league might not be too appetizing should Leinart go down.

brady has been averaging about 3800/26/13 for the last three season, with deion branch as his best receiver two of the three and of course much worse last year. and they were all new makeshift guys last year, so i cant buy a possible argument of taking time to mesh.

im with you on moss. i think hes more like half-dimensional at this point. he and stallworth are the same player pretty much, and thats just a deep threat. welker is a good slot possession guy. all 3 of them, at worst, are better than any receiver brady had last year. so with that said, doesnt it make sense that brady should increase from 3800/26 at least a little bit? even if he doesnt increase at all, hes top 5. and if he can add a couple hundred yards and a few TDs -- say even 4100/28 (both #s hes hit in the last 3 years), then it seems to me he is right there on par with peyton and carson.

thanks for your many thoughts back on my point/counter-points. i did have one question. you said in your strategy that youd have drafted manning of course at 2.4... but thats knowing hes there. you said before that you wouldve drafted manning as early as 1.6. dont you think youd have taken him then at 1.9 with no superstud RBs available, and if so, how would it have affected a choice at 2.4?

good banter as always.

ps. one final thought on the whole backup thing. id only play a backup 2x if leinart was healthy all year. and that i can happily get off waivers, a nice 150/1/2 and 50/0 game from tarvaris is 13 points and gets the job done. i understand that if i have an injury, im in a hole to dig myself out. but in a real league, i dont believe id have any problem trading any number of my WRs -- branch, jones, porter most likely -- for any of the run-of-the-mill QBs in the 8-15 range. i just didnt think it was worth wasting a pick on. its my version of gambling in a draft, for the sake of overbuilding one position for trade ammo.

I would have taken Manning as early as 1.08 (was 1.06 last week) in most drafts, but not this one as I would have been almost certain that he'd still be there at 2.04 since I know how you guys think. If I had taken Manning at 1.09, however, I would have had to go with my highest rated RB when 2.04 rolled around.

I'm going to have to take a good look at this as the RB drop-off for me occurs before the middle of the second round. If I could get Manning-Henry or Manning-Maroney in the first two rounds, I'd happily do it. If not, it might serve better to leave Manning alone.

i look forward to the year when your draft will look like this, fumble:

1.5 peyton manning, qb, ind

2.8 carson palmer, qb, cin

3.5 tom brady, qb, ne

4.8 drew brees, qb, no

5.5 donovan mcnabb, qb, phi

6.8 jon kitna, qb, det

... after all, who could pass up all those qb values? :dunno:

i look forward to the year when your draft will look like this, fumble:

1.5 peyton manning, qb, ind

2.8 carson palmer, qb, cin

3.5 tom brady, qb, ne

4.8 drew brees, qb, no

5.5 donovan mcnabb, qb, phi

6.8 jon kitna, qb, det

... after all, who could pass up all those qb values? :dunno:

Funny thing is....in last year's June Mock, I took 3 consecutive RBs to begin the draft. It's only in the JetDoc Mock that I get labeled a QB freak because of the nature of the drafters.

In my primary, long-standing league of greatest personal interest, I picked my first QB in Round Eight last year. Just didn't see value until then. Again, the only time I really get labeled this way is in the Jet Mock. Funny.........

... and in my most important league last year (granted pass TDs = 6), i tried something new and took manning in the first.

funny. :shocking:

Posted: Wednesday June 06, 2007 09:48AM ET

Julius Jones has skipped the Cowboys' off-season workout program and is not participating in organized team activities. So there's no way he gets the benefit of the doubt if anything goes wrong in training camp. Jones apparently doesn't care. He believes Bill Parcells made him too robotic of a runner, so he's doing things his way this time. The Cowboys don't appear inclined to sign him to a lucrative long-term deal after this season unless he has a monster year. That's probably not going to happen with him splitting time with Marion Barber.

Dallas Morning News

I think Julius is sinking fast.