Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

Get ready to empty Guantanamo

Damn, I hate lawyers and such.

The judge, Army Col. Peter Brownback, said he had no choice but to throw the Khadr case out because he had been classified as an "enemy combatant" by a military panel years earlier -- and not as an "alien unlawful enemy combatant."

The Military Commissions Act, signed by Bush last year, specifically says that only those classified as "unlawful" enemy combatants can face war trials here, Brownback noted during the arraignment in a hilltop courtroom on this U.S. military base.

Sullivan said the dismissal of Khadr case has "huge" impact because none of the detainees held at this isolated military base in southeast Cuba has been found to be an "unlawful" enemy combatant.

A prosecuting attorney said he would appeal the dismissal of the case.

Under the new war-crimes trial system, the prosecution has 72 hours to appeal, but the court designated to hear the appeal -- known as the court of military commissions review -- doesn't even exist, Sullivan noted.

:thumbsdown:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/06/04/guantanan...e.ap/index.html

If they can't even get it together to prosecute these people, what makes you so sure that they have a case against any of them?

Also, you've overreacted and distorted this ruling:

The colonel’s ruling does not mean that Mr. Khadr will be freed. The military prosecutors are permitted to refile their murder and terrorism charges against him.They could repair the legal problem by holding a new hearing here, known as a combatant status review tribunal, to determine if he was an unlawful enemy combatant.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/04/world/am...d-gitmo.html?hp

And, from that same article, one of the military's own lawyers saying the commissions don't work:

The chief military defense lawyer here, Col. Dwight Sullivan of the Marines, said he viewed the decision as having broad impact, because it underscored what he and other critics have described as a commission process that lacks international legitimacy and legal authority.

If they can't even get it together to prosecute these people, what makes you so sure that they have a case against any of them?

See, I'm kinda thinking if you capture an armed Canadian who just happens to be say - on a battlfield in Afghanistan, he's probably guilty. Call me crazy, but dismissing the charges because one forking word was missing it retreaded.

All we've learned from this disaster is to shoot the fockers in field rather than deal with the BS in the courts.

Have someone give the order to SHOOT the sons a bitches, then pardon them like Clinton! :thumbsdown:

Link?

You know that lawyer with the Tuberculosis? They should give him some sneezing powder and then lock him up at Guantanamo.

....and of course Cyber Dork has a link.

Most Americans hate Bush...and if you hate Bush...you want it closed.

Most Americans hate Bush...and if you hate Bush...you want it closed.

.........and congress too, but you are hated by all :thumbsdown: and this board is my link.

I just assume that we are suppoed to blame Bush, hell even the sheep over in the minority groups have given up blaming whitely and resorted to only blaming Bush....just kidding of course white is still the catch-all for minority related failures :thumbsup:

I worry about the mindless lemmings when Bush isnt sround to blame for everything :thumbsdown:

I worry about the mindless lemmings when Bush isnt sround to blame for everything :thumbsdown:

:thumbsup: That's my line! ;)

B) That's my line! :mad:

I think I owe you a nickle..... ;) :thumbsdown: :thumbsup:

Anyone seen road to guantanamo? Its about 4 dumb ass muslims who got caught up with taliban in afghanistan. They were all british citizens and they said they just wanted to see what it was liek and blah blah blah. On that part, i totally blame the kids. What retard would do that. They got caught with a bunch of taliban fighters so they should get focked.

But it got kinda extreme eventually. I mean, they were british citizens, and everyone said they were more into fashion and smoking weed than religion. Most of them have caught a case or two. But they still shipped em off to guantanamo. I could still see the reasoning, but its a stretch.

Once there, they kept focking with them. They would bring one person in and say, your friends said you were an active member of the taliban. Or they would show them grainy video of a osama speech and say thats you in the video, even though two of them were on parole in england that whole summer.

It makes you think, they keep saying they have the worst and most dangerous criminals there. But how can 4 kids like that be considered dangerous.

Its a frustrating movie though. On one hand you're like, fockin dumb asses, why the fock would you go to the frontlines from the taliban side? The whole, we just wanted to check it out, is a stupid reasoning. Part of me says they deserved it. But then again, it seems like they went too far. But it also highlights how desperate they are to charge people there. Making up lies that can be easily proven wrong and such.