Sign in to follow this  
BLS

OK...here you go.

this video basically epitomizes what Dr. Paul stands for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWfIhFhelm8

Also...Boz...after watching those immigration videos you just showed me....I can't even explain how upsetting that is. I'd like to know the conext of those demonstrations though because that can explain alot.

Watched. Initial thoughts: :thumbsup: , but it is always kind of hard to get hopes up in politics.

Watched. Initial thoughts: :thumbsup: , but it is always kind of hard to get hopes up in politics.

I really truly believe Ron Paul is a last ditch effort to save this country.

I've never been more enamored with a politician.

lots of talk about ron paul, im sure hes awesome and if on a another ticket, id research and maybe vote for him.

but, hes not getting the repub nomination, ever. therefore we cant vote for him, except maybe in the primary if he doesnt drop out before our states comes up, right?

why waste the time? dont get me wrong, i understand trying to steer debate knowing you have zero chance, but man, that has to be loads of work and stress and money.

i dont like any candidate right now.

mccain drives me up a focking wall, the mormon, well he believes joseph smith, rudy's not conservative...enough for me, maybe thompson. we'll see.

I really truly believe Ron Paul is a last ditch effort to save this country.

I've never been more enamored with a politician.

The idea of being able to be enarmored with a politician scares me, surely I would have to be missing something. But that is the lone and so far unsubstaniated thought keeping me away from feeling a little love for the guy. IF he is what he appears, that article about the money raised for him campaign is heartening. The saddest thing would be to see the one sound looking guy not even having a chance.

The idea of being able to be enarmored with a politician scares me, surely I would have to be missing something. But that is the lone and so far unsubstaniated thought keeping me away from feeling a little love for the guy. IF he is what he appears, that article about the money raised for him campaign is heartening. The saddest thing would be to see the one sound looking guy not even having a chance.

a capitalist society with a capitalist political system.

the love of money is the root of all evil. 1 timothy 6:10

Money is loved under other systems, only less are allowed to. It's never not loved somewhere, what someone does for that love depends on the individual. Suggest supporting another system and having faith in the men running it?

Here's the thing...I HATE politicians in general.

I think they are all liars and partially corrupt in one shape, fashion or form.

Ron Paul is the first politician I can ever recall watching and reading about, and NOT finding ONE single thing bad.

Money is loved under other systems, only less are allowed to. It's never not loved somewhere, what someone does for that love depends on the individual. Suggest supporting another system and having faith in the men running it?

your not disproving my point, your simply saying it possibly worse elsewhere, too which i agree.

its still a shame.

your not disproving my point, your simply saying it possibly worse elsewhere, too which i agree.

its still a shame.

Some of the puritans lived communally (maybe all of them?) and took care of each other if someone was in need. That was close to communism but by choice. Have a whole mass of people needing a defined government and I don't think support of capitalism stands out as more evil as you got, but the best thing people can do with it is make sure we take care of our own. None of the "God helps those who helps themselves" stuff that isn't actually in the bible. Promote personal ingenuity and independence but reach out to those in need if you have the means. Maybe it's the same kind of enormous hope someone has in thinking communism can work, only directed elsewhere. But Capitalism seems like the system that gives the most real opportunity to the most amount of people, allowing the framework for a more resielient society.

Here's the thing...I HATE politicians in general.

I think they are all liars and partially corrupt in one shape, fashion or form.

Ron Paul is the first politician I can ever recall watching and reading about, and NOT finding ONE single thing bad.

Finding the same thing so far. It's nice for a change.

Some of the puritans lived communally (maybe all of them?) and took care of each other if someone was in need. That was close to communism but by choice. Have a whole mass of people needing a defined government and I don't think support of capitalism stands out as more evil as you got, but the best thing people can do with it is make sure we take care of our own. None of the "God helps those who helps themselves" stuff that isn't actually in the bible. Promote personal ingenuity and independence but reach out to those in need if you have the means. Maybe it's the same kind of enormous hope someone has in thinking communism can work, only directed elsewhere. But Capitalism seems like the system that gives the most real opportunity to the most amount of people, allowing the framework for a more resielient society.

Finding the same thing so far. It's nice for a change.

going back to politics, money wins the primaries. these guys are recruited like high school athletes.

this thread is about ron paul and we all know he has no shot because he doesnt have the money.

thats capitalist politics, and i think that sucks.

going back to politics, money wins the primaries. these guys are recruited like high school athletes.

this thread is about ron paul and we all know he has no shot because he doesnt have the money.

thats capitalist politics, and i think that sucks.

he's not doing so bad

http://www.tnr.com/doc.mhtml?i=20070604&s=crowley060407

interesting read. if pat buchanan likes him he cant be too bad.

although, the legalization of drugs and prostitution, hmmm...no.

Here's the argument I have for legalizing drugs:

Why not? We spend a ton of money fighting the war on drugs. Because there is a demand for them, by making it illegal, you incite crime. The cost of drugs is higher, because the cost of 'doing business' can be astronomical. Then you get people committing crimes to get the money to buy drugs.

You legalize them...you eliminate that criminal element. You also cut also that federal spending.

To top it off, you also tax those products. And in the long run, end up making money.

this video basically epitomizes what Dr. Paul stands for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWfIhFhelm8

Also...Boz...after watching those immigration videos you just showed me....I can't even explain how upsetting that is. I'd like to know the conext of those demonstrations though because that can explain alot.

I tell you what. I am starting to like this guy. I know there is a long way to go, so I am undecided right now.

Here's the argument I have for legalizing drugs:

Why not? We spend a ton of money fighting the war on drugs. Because there is a demand for them, by making it illegal, you incite crime. The cost of drugs is higher, because the cost of 'doing business' can be astronomical. Then you get people committing crimes to get the money to buy drugs.

You legalize them...you eliminate that criminal element. You also cut also that federal spending.

To top it off, you also tax those products. And in the long run, end up making money.

I agree. Is this Ron Paul's position on this?????

Even when I was in high school, I talked about this in some class. We had to do some kind of speech project in a group of 6 people. We did this big thing on this topic. If you de-criminalize or make it leagal, theree are tons of advantages. Like cops would have to risk their life busting a drug ring. If the guvment would tax it like they do ciggs, it would make an astronomical figure. If the guvment would grow say maryjane, they would make truck loads of cash. Allow farmers to grow it under regulations(we still need corn and stuff). No more dtreet dealers. Lower all types of crime.

Plus, wouldn't it make you proud, to somke a dobie grown by the good ol US of A. :wall: :P

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And greed, you mark my words, will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA. Thank you very much.

I have not read a single post in this thread but I must say :thumbsup: i am someone who is very liberal in his social view yet somewhat conservative in my economic views yet this guy intrigues me!!!

Think outside the box, thats what I say

Bravo!

I tell you what. I am starting to like this guy. I know there is a long way to go, so I am undecided right now.

I agree. Is this Ron Paul's position on this?????

Even when I was in high school, I talked about this in some class. We had to do some kind of speech project in a group of 6 people. We did this big thing on this topic. If you de-criminalize or make it leagal, theree are tons of advantages. Like cops would have to risk their life busting a drug ring. If the guvment would tax it like they do ciggs, it would make an astronomical figure. If the guvment would grow say maryjane, they would make truck loads of cash. Allow farmers to grow it under regulations(we still need corn and stuff). No more dtreet dealers. Lower all types of crime.

Plus, wouldn't it make you proud, to somke a dobie grown by the good ol US of A. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

I'm trying to find you a video or article that states this specifically because I know I've read/heard it very recently. Of course this is NOT a huge 'issue' that he's going to 'run on', so it's a bit tougher to find.

But here is something he wrote about it:

War On Terror?

It's As Bad As War on Drugs

By Rep. Ron Paul

I would like to draw an analogy between the drug war and the war against terrorism. In the last 30 years, we have spent hundreds of billions of dollars on a failed war on drugs. This war has been used as an excuse to attack our liberties and privacy. It has been an excuse to undermine our financial privacy while promoting illegal searches and seizures with many innocent people losing their lives and property. Seizure and forfeiture have harmed a great number of innocent American citizens.

Another result of this unwise war has been the corruption of many law enforcement officials. It is well known that with the profit incentives so high, we are not even able to keep drugs out of our armed prisons. Making our whole society a prison would not bring success to this floundering war on drugs. Sinister motives of the profiteers and gangsters, along with prevailing public ignorance, keep this futile war going. Illegal and artificially high priced drugs drive the underworld to produce, sell and profit from this social depravity. Failure to recognize that drug addiction, like alcoholism, is a disease rather than a crime, encourage the drug warriors in efforts that have not and will not ever work. We learned the hard way about alcohol prohibition and crime, but we have not yet seriously considered it in the ongoing drug war.

Corruption associated with the drug dealers is endless. It has involved our police, the military, border guards and the judicial system. It has affected government policy and our own CIA. The artificially high profits from illegal drugs provide easy access to funds for rogue groups involved in fighting civil wars throughout the world. Ironically, opium sales by the Taliban and artificially high prices helped to finance their war against us. In spite of the incongruity, we rewarded the Taliban this spring with a huge cash payment for promises to eradicate some poppy fields. Sure.

For the first 140 years of our history, we had essentially no Federal war on drugs, and far fewer problems with drug addiction and related crimes was a consequence. In the past 30 years, even with the hundreds of millions of dollars spent on the drug war, little good has come of it. We have vacillated from efforts to stop the drugs at the source to severely punishing the users, yet nothing has improved. This war has been behind most big government policy powers of the last 30 years, with continual undermining of our civil liberties and personal privacy. Those who support the IRS's efforts to collect maximum revenues and root out the underground economy, have welcomed this intrusion, even if the drug underworld grows in size and influence.

The drug war encourages violence. Government violence against nonviolent users is notorious and has led to the unnecessary prison overpopulation. Innocent taxpayers are forced to pay for all this so-called justice. Our eradication project through spraying around the world, from Colombia to Afghanistan, breeds resentment because normal crops and good land can be severely damaged. Local populations perceive that the efforts and the profiteering remain somehow beneficial to our own agenda in these various countries.

Drug dealers and drug gangs are a consequence of our unwise approach to drug usage. Many innocent people are killed in the crossfire by the mob justice that this war generates. But just because the laws are unwise and have had unintended consequences, no excuses can ever be made for the monster who would kill and maim innocent people for illegal profits. But as the violent killers are removed from society, reconsideration of our drug laws ought to occur.

A similar approach should be applied to our war on those who would terrorize and kill our people for political reasons. If the drug laws and the policies that incite hatred against the United States are not clearly understood and, therefore, never changed, the number of drug criminals and terrorists will only multiply. Although this unwise war on drugs generates criminal violence, the violence can never be tolerated. Even if repeal of drug laws would decrease the motivation for drug dealer violence, this can never be an excuse to condone the violence. On the short term, those who kill must be punished, imprisoned, or killed. Long term though, a better understanding of how drug laws have unintended consequences is required if we want to significantly improve the situation and actually reduce the great harms drugs are doing to our society.

The same is true in dealing with those who so passionately hate us that suicide becomes a just and noble cause in their effort to kill and terrorize us. Without some understanding of what has brought us to the brink of a worldwide conflict in reconsidering our policies around the globe, we will be no more successful in making our land secure and free than the drug war has been in removing drug violence from our cities and towns.

Without some understanding why terrorism is directed towards the United States, we may well build a prison for ourselves with something called homeland security while doing nothing to combat the root causes of terrorism. Let us hope we figure this out soon. We have promoted a foolish and very expensive domestic war on drugs for more than 30 years. It has done no good whatsoever. I doubt our Republic can survive a 30-year period of trying to figure out how to win this guerilla war against terrorism. Hopefully, we will all seek the answers in these trying times with an open mind and understanding. CP

Ron Paul is a libertarian/Republican who represents Texas's 14th congressional district.

http://www.counterpunch.org/paul1.html

When you start to look PAST what you see and 'know' now...you start to realize more and more how INSIGHTFUL he is. He's beyond the majority of us....He is not afraid to tackle the tough issues, and although on paper his ideas initially seem 'whacky', the more you learn, the more you go 'hmmmmm.....never though of it that way'.

Anyway..that's how it goes for me.

I am still waiting on Ron Paul's solution to fix and fund the addictions and subsequent health care issues caused by said legalization of (all) drugs. I am also anxious to hear how he plans to keep these people from becoming homeless or driving cars, while actively enjoying their new legalized drug of choice.

Heroin anyone? :thumbsdown:

Quit arguing the economic benefit of legalizing drugs and help me understand the moral argument. :thumbsdown: (pssst. there isn't one which is why no other politician on Earth would ever propose it)

BTW - would you please start a non-Ron Paul thread at least once so we know that you don't sleep with a lifesize cardboard cut out of the guy?

I tell ya whut, his wife makes some of the best fish-sticks evah.

GB Mrs. Paul :wub:

This is my first LOL today....thank you! :banana:

I am still waiting on Ron Paul's solution to fix and fund the addictions and subsequent health care issues caused by said legalization of (all) drugs. I am also anxious to hear how he plans to keep these people from becoming homeless or driving cars, while actively enjoying their new legalized drug of choice.

Heroin anyone? :wub:

Quit arguing the economic benefit of legalizing drugs and help me understand the moral argument. :banana: (pssst. there isn't one which is why no other politician on Earth would ever propose it)

BTW - would you please start a non-Ron Paul thread at least once so we know that you don't sleep with a lifesize cardboard cut out of the guy?

I will give you this much, and we can go from there:

One of the great ironies of the prohibition era was the fact, noted by the Wickersham Commission, that women happily took to drink during the experimental decade, and, what is more, did so in public. As the counterpart of the WCTU, the Women's Organization for National Prohibition Reform was founded, stating in its declaration of principles that Prohibition was "wrong in principle" and "disastrous in consequences in the hypocrisy, the corruption, the tragic loss of life and the appalling increase of crime which has attended the abortive attempt to enforce it" (Dobyns, 1940: 107).

Drinking at an earlier age was also noted, particularly during the first few years of Prohibition. The superintendents of eight state mental hospitals reported a larger percentage of young patients during Prohibition (1919-1926) than formerly. One of the hospitals noted: "During the past year (1926), an unusually large group of patients who are of high school age were admitted for alcoholic psychosis" (Brown, 1932:176).

In determining the age at which an alcoholic forms his drinking habit, it was noted: "The 1920-1923 group were younger than the other groups when the drink habit was formed" (Pollock, 1942: 113).

AVERAGE AGE AT FORMATION OF DRINK HABIT

Period Males Females

1914 21.4 27.9

1920-23 20.6 25.8

1936-37 23.9 31.7

ETA LINK...so you know I'm not 'making it up'.

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/Librar...ies/nc/nc2a.htm

The point is...we learned this SAME lesson almost 90 years ago. And we're freaking repeating it.

I'm trying to find you a video or article that states this specifically because I know I've read/heard it very recently. Of course this is NOT a huge 'issue' that he's going to 'run on', so it's a bit tougher to find.

But here is something he wrote about it:

War On Terror?

It's As Bad As War on Drugs

By Rep. Ron Paul

I would like to draw an analogy between the drug war and the war against terrorism. In the last 30 years, we have spent hundreds of billions of dollars on a failed war on drugs. This war has been used as an excuse to attack our liberties and privacy. It has been an excuse to undermine our financial privacy while promoting illegal searches and seizures with many innocent people losing their lives and property. Seizure and forfeiture have harmed a great number of innocent American citizens.

Another result of this unwise war has been the corruption of many law enforcement officials. It is well known that with the profit incentives so high, we are not even able to keep drugs out of our armed prisons. Making our whole society a prison would not bring success to this floundering war on drugs. Sinister motives of the profiteers and gangsters, along with prevailing public ignorance, keep this futile war going. Illegal and artificially high priced drugs drive the underworld to produce, sell and profit from this social depravity. Failure to recognize that drug addiction, like alcoholism, is a disease rather than a crime, encourage the drug warriors in efforts that have not and will not ever work. We learned the hard way about alcohol prohibition and crime, but we have not yet seriously considered it in the ongoing drug war.

Corruption associated with the drug dealers is endless. It has involved our police, the military, border guards and the judicial system. It has affected government policy and our own CIA. The artificially high profits from illegal drugs provide easy access to funds for rogue groups involved in fighting civil wars throughout the world. Ironically, opium sales by the Taliban and artificially high prices helped to finance their war against us. In spite of the incongruity, we rewarded the Taliban this spring with a huge cash payment for promises to eradicate some poppy fields. Sure.

For the first 140 years of our history, we had essentially no Federal war on drugs, and far fewer problems with drug addiction and related crimes was a consequence. In the past 30 years, even with the hundreds of millions of dollars spent on the drug war, little good has come of it. We have vacillated from efforts to stop the drugs at the source to severely punishing the users, yet nothing has improved. This war has been behind most big government policy powers of the last 30 years, with continual undermining of our civil liberties and personal privacy. Those who support the IRS's efforts to collect maximum revenues and root out the underground economy, have welcomed this intrusion, even if the drug underworld grows in size and influence.

The drug war encourages violence. Government violence against nonviolent users is notorious and has led to the unnecessary prison overpopulation. Innocent taxpayers are forced to pay for all this so-called justice. Our eradication project through spraying around the world, from Colombia to Afghanistan, breeds resentment because normal crops and good land can be severely damaged. Local populations perceive that the efforts and the profiteering remain somehow beneficial to our own agenda in these various countries.

Drug dealers and drug gangs are a consequence of our unwise approach to drug usage. Many innocent people are killed in the crossfire by the mob justice that this war generates. But just because the laws are unwise and have had unintended consequences, no excuses can ever be made for the monster who would kill and maim innocent people for illegal profits. But as the violent killers are removed from society, reconsideration of our drug laws ought to occur.

A similar approach should be applied to our war on those who would terrorize and kill our people for political reasons. If the drug laws and the policies that incite hatred against the United States are not clearly understood and, therefore, never changed, the number of drug criminals and terrorists will only multiply. Although this unwise war on drugs generates criminal violence, the violence can never be tolerated. Even if repeal of drug laws would decrease the motivation for drug dealer violence, this can never be an excuse to condone the violence. On the short term, those who kill must be punished, imprisoned, or killed. Long term though, a better understanding of how drug laws have unintended consequences is required if we want to significantly improve the situation and actually reduce the great harms drugs are doing to our society.

The same is true in dealing with those who so passionately hate us that suicide becomes a just and noble cause in their effort to kill and terrorize us. Without some understanding of what has brought us to the brink of a worldwide conflict in reconsidering our policies around the globe, we will be no more successful in making our land secure and free than the drug war has been in removing drug violence from our cities and towns.

Without some understanding why terrorism is directed towards the United States, we may well build a prison for ourselves with something called homeland security while doing nothing to combat the root causes of terrorism. Let us hope we figure this out soon. We have promoted a foolish and very expensive domestic war on drugs for more than 30 years. It has done no good whatsoever. I doubt our Republic can survive a 30-year period of trying to figure out how to win this guerilla war against terrorism. Hopefully, we will all seek the answers in these trying times with an open mind and understanding. CP

Ron Paul is a libertarian/Republican who represents Texas's 14th congressional district.

http://www.counterpunch.org/paul1.html

When you start to look PAST what you see and 'know' now...you start to realize more and more how INSIGHTFUL he is. He's beyond the majority of us....He is not afraid to tackle the tough issues, and although on paper his ideas initially seem 'whacky', the more you learn, the more you go 'hmmmmm.....never though of it that way'.

Anyway..that's how it goes for me.

Thanks for the info. I am starting to like this canidate more and more. :banana: