Sign in to follow this  
cblue

SD Chargers

I just watched the Charger vs. Patriots 2006 playoff game on the NFL Network. I still can't believe that the Chargers lost that game. Seemingly, every minute of the game the Chargers are dominating the game. The Chargers mad big plays in the running game and the passing game. The Patriots couldn't stop them. Defensively, the Chargers pretty much dominated that Patriots offense. The Chargers were the better team in every facet of the game. And if you don't agree that the Chargers dominated, you have to agree that the Chargers looked like the better team.

The Patriots did not win that game, the Chargers gave it away. The Patriots made fewer mistakes. Even though they dominated the game, the Chargers made bone-head mistake after bone-head mistake and that is what cost them the game. Even with all the dropped balls by the recievers or by the Charger defensive backs, the Chargers dominated.

But, no, I am not bitter. Can you tell?

Does anyone else think the Patriots were so aggressive in the off-season because they knew they couldn't beat a strong Charger team in 2007?

You know, the last 3 Super Bowl champs had the leagues best record the year before they won the Super Bowl. Here's to the Chargers in 2007. :shocking:

Guest JahRasta311
I just watched the Charger vs. Patriots 2006 playoff game on the NFL Network. I still can't believe that the Chargers lost that game. Seemingly, every minute of the game the Chargers are dominating the game. The Chargers mad big plays in the running game and the passing game. The Patriots couldn't stop them. Defensively, the Chargers pretty much dominated that Patriots offense. The Chargers were the better team in every facet of the game. And if you don't agree that the Chargers dominated, you have to agree that the Chargers looked like the better team.

The Patriots did not win that game, the Chargers gave it away. The Patriots made fewer mistakes. Even though they dominated the game, the Chargers made bone-head mistake after bone-head mistake and that is what cost them the game. Even with all the dropped balls by the recievers or by the Charger defensive backs, the Chargers dominated.

But, no, I am not bitter. Can you tell?

Does anyone else think the Patriots were so aggressive in the off-season because they knew they couldn't beat a strong Charger team in 2007?

You know, the last 3 Super Bowl champs had the leagues best record the year before they won the Super Bowl. Here's to the Chargers in 2007. :thumbsdown:

:dunno:

I watched it too AGAIN and cried as the game wound down. I am a huge Chargers fan and agree they dominated the game but just lost. Two glaring differences this coming year are the Chargers lost Donnie Edwards who was literally all over the field and even had a pick. Second, the aggressiveness of Asante Samuel and how much he will be missed by the Patriots.

Hopefully Norv doesn't screw it up too much! :thumbsdown:

The one thing SD does NOT have in common with those other 3 teams is a new coaching staff. The Pats, Steelers and Colts each had a proven, Defensive-minded Head Coach running the show. And their staffs had continuity. I think its a tall order expecting a glorified offensive coordinator like Norv Turner to lead this team to the Superbowl. I dont see it happening. I love the team. They lost 3 games by a total of 9 points last year, including that playoff game which they clearly should have won. Thats impressive stuff. But then you go and fire your Head Coach and lose your entire staff?? Who does that? Thats just bad karma. Having said that, Im gonna flip that coin. Because it HAS been done and fairly recent. Tampa Bay fired Dungy just a few years ago and hired an offensive-minded HC in Gruden and it got them over the top in his 1st year. So THAT precedent is the one which I see as more relevant in this situation here for Chargers fans, not the strange coinicience of last year's win total. The Rams and Patriots of a few Superbowls ago were coming off 4 and 5 win seasons respectively, and it didnt exactly slow them down. So you can throw that meaningless stat out the window. For the record, Im not a SD fan but I had the Chargers winning the Superbowl at the beginning of last season, so I completely agree that this team has a title feel to it. Now that Rivers has a little playoff experience under his belt and a longer leash with which to run this team, I think they may just be ready.

I love when a team makes mistakes and their fans try to act like it's no big deal or that mental errors aren't part of the game. Part of being a good team is being disciplined enough to not commit stupid penalties or to perform when the game is on the line regardless of what the stats say. Once you get to the playoffs the room for error shrinks in a big way. Also, having a coach who can perform in pressure situations is a plus. I think it was pretty obvious that SD was the more physically-gifted team last year but the Pats did what they had to do to beat them on their homefield. At times it wasn't pretty but they took advantage of their breaks and the weakness of SD's discipline and won the game.

After watching that game I was left with two impressions of the Chargers. One, they are loaded with talent. There's little doubt about that. Two, I'm not sure they are mentally tough enough and/or disciplined to win pressure-cooker type of playoff games against teams like NE or Indy (their pissing and moaning afterwards only reinforced that). They have a new coach this year and maybe he can put them over the top but I can't say I'm worrying about Norv Turner's addition to this club. He's a great offensive mind but until I see otherwise I believe he's a much better OC than a HC.

Guest JahRasta311
I love when a team makes mistakes and their fans try to act like it's no big deal or that mental errors aren't part of the game. Part of being a good team is being disciplined enough to not commit stupid penalties or to perform when the game is on the line regardless of what the stats say. Once you get to the playoffs the room for error shrinks in a big way. Also, having a coach who can perform in pressure situations is a plus. I think it was pretty obvious that SD was the more physically-gifted team last year but the Pats did what they had to do to beat them on their homefield. At times it wasn't pretty but they took advantage of their breaks and the weakness of SD's discipline and won the game.

After watching that game I was left with two impressions of the Chargers. One, they are loaded with talent. There's little doubt about that. Two, I'm not sure they are mentally tough enough and/or disciplined to win pressure-cooker type of playoff games against teams like NE or Indy (their pissing and moaning afterwards only reinforced that). They have a new coach this year and maybe he can put them over the top but I can't say I'm worrying about Norv Turner's addition to this club. He's a great offensive mind but until I see otherwise I believe he's a much better OC than a HC.

Of course it's part of the game, you dope. But now that we've been there, hopefully we know how to conduct ourselves better next time around. Pats doing what they had to do...lol. So lemme guess, Brady knew McCree would fumble so he tossed that ball straight to him on purpose?

The pissing and moaning afterwards was pretty justified by the poor-sport actions by the Patsies. Even your coach admitted that the mocking celebration by your team was deplorable, and he's a piece of ######.

No amount of coaching, even from the almighty Belichick himself could have changed the fact that McCree has way too much pride to bat down an easy interception and the fact that Eric Parker didn't understand when his Pee-wee coach told him when he fumbles and he's surrounded by defenders to just fall on the ball instead of trying to scoop it up.

Have fun with your discipline this year with Stallworth, Moss, and Merriweather. I can't wait to see Moss's reaction when he realizes that Brady isn't going to target him 15+ times a game.

Yea, the CHargers shouldn't have won the game.

But you have to admit they were WAY too cocky the whole game.

I don't blaim the Pats for showing up the crowd and the CHargers after the game, the Bolts were talking smack the whole game, and the Pats just waited until they won to talk smack.

But now that we've been there, hopefully we know how to conduct ourselves better next time around.

Wow, a real live SD Charger player is posting on the FF Today forums! Mike has really gone all-out with the upgrades this season!

Guest JahRasta311
Wow, a real live SD Charger player is posting on the FF Today forums! Mike has really gone all-out with the upgrades this season!

I would expect nothing less from a Canadian.

It's not accurate to say that the Chargers dominated every minute of the game.

I want to take a minute and recap, because I was at that game along with about 10,000 Patriots fans and it was a very hostile environment. I'd even say one of the most hostile environments many I had ever been to. I was with a group of friends from Boston, huge Boston sports fans and we've been to Red Sox in yankee Stadium, Patriots at Jets, Bruins in Montreal and even English Premier League Soccer games but this crowd was just violent and vicous. On top of that all the reporters had written the Patriots off and Charger players like Shawne Merriman were talking mad smack about the Patriots.

The only way people could see the Patriots winning was if they played the Chargers close and forced them into a few mental errors late Which is exactly what happened. The Patriots played tough, hung in against an immensely talented and cohesive team, and went into a hostile environment playing nearly mistake free football to win the game. Not steal it, not get handed it, but take it from the entire City of San Diego and win it fair and square.

If the Chargers with Schottenheimer had any history of winning close games, like against the Jets 2 years ago in the playoffs, and the Patriots weren't universally known as the team who almost always wins the close games, I might think you have an argument. But the fact of the matter is both teams held true to form and did exactly what they have done for several years. That's not a fluke.

With regards to the Chargers, since I have relocated to San Diego I do follow and enjoy the team and I consider myself a quasi fan. I believe that last year was a great season and they had the talent to win the SuperBowl but the lack of playoff experience and coaching were huge barriers to overcome. When you look at what they did with a very young QB and the dominant defense they played for the majority of the year it's hard to come to any conclusion other then they are here to stay. The Chargers are about to peak and I do think they'll win a SuperBowl with this core of players. I just don't think it will be this year.

First the coaching changes, especially on defense are a huge obstacle. Second they had very few on field adversity last year, going 14-2 again will be difficult to accomplish. I see them more at 12-4 which is still a sick record,but how will they react to a few more losses.

It's worth noting that last year the Chargers dealt with the Steve Foley issue, the Merriman issue, and the Marty/Contract issue and nothing could derail them. They've already shown some real positive intangibles and like I said they are future Super Bowl Champions.

But not this year. And beyond that the Patriots are going to punish them in Foxboro. See you at the tailgate.

I can't wait to see Moss's reaction when he realizes that Brady isn't going to target him 15+ times a game.

So your telling me that Moss took a $7 million dollar pay cut to come and play for the Pats and is expecting (according to you) be targeted 255+ times over the season??

Hmmm...Ya ok buddy

GO PATS!

Guest JahRasta311
So your telling me that Moss took a $7 million dollar pay cut to come and play for the Pats and is expecting (according to you) be targeted 255+ times over the season??

Hmmm...Ya ok buddy

GO PATS!

He's Randy Moss, of course he's gonna want the targets. When he doesn't get them, he'll be back to walking his routes.

Guest JahRasta311

Also....nobody told you, but this year they're playing 16 games.

Also....nobody told you, but this year they're playing 16 games.

Sorry, I made a mathematical error. 240+ targets

Moss was targeted 97 times last year. He will want more than that, deserves more than that and will get more than that.

Caldwell was targted 101 times last year and Brady spread the ball around. Of course he will still spread the ball around but now he has a legit #1 WR to throw too. He will get his and his attitude will be just fine. Watch mi amigo.

Guest JahRasta311
Sorry, I made a mathematical error. 240+ targets

Moss was targeted 97 times last year. He will want more than that, deserves more than that and will get more than that.

Caldwell was targted 101 times last year and Brady spread the ball around. Of course he will still spread the ball around but now he has a legit #1 WR to throw too. He will get his and his attitude will be just fine. Watch mi amigo.

:rolleyes: I forgot, Belichick can turn anyone into a saint. I know you guys love your coach and all, but where do you draw the line?

:huh: I forgot, Belichick can turn anyone into a saint. I know you guys love your coach and all, but where do you draw the line?

It's not that Belichick turns players into saints so much as he sets a standard for expected behavior (i.e., team first at all costs) and if you don't meet that standard, you are gone. It is up to the individual to fall in line and most do because they can't argue with the results.

I am a life-long Bears fan so I have no reason to praise Bill B. but it does your cause no good to deny obvious realities.

Of course it's part of the game, you dope. But now that we've been there, hopefully we know how to conduct ourselves better next time around. Pats doing what they had to do...lol. So lemme guess, Brady knew McCree would fumble so he tossed that ball straight to him on purpose?

The pissing and moaning afterwards was pretty justified by the poor-sport actions by the Patsies. Even your coach admitted that the mocking celebration by your team was deplorable, and he's a piece of ######.

No amount of coaching, even from the almighty Belichick himself could have changed the fact that McCree has way too much pride to bat down an easy interception and the fact that Eric Parker didn't understand when his Pee-wee coach told him when he fumbles and he's surrounded by defenders to just fall on the ball instead of trying to scoop it up.

Have fun with your discipline this year with Stallworth, Moss, and Merriweather. I can't wait to see Moss's reaction when he realizes that Brady isn't going to target him 15+ times a game.

I'll brush the namecalling off on the sour grapes you have shown since this loss. When the pain wears off let me know and maybe we can have an intelligent discusion that contains more than saying that the Pats and their fans suck.

Guest JahRasta311
I'll brush the namecalling off on the sour grapes you have shown since this loss. When the pain wears off let me know and maybe we can have an intelligent discusion that contains more than saying that the Pats and their fans suck.

I don't think sour grapes applies in this situation, maybe you should look up what it means so you stop using it in the wrong context.

I agree, the Bolts should have won. You can say the same thing about the Pats blowing the Championship game to the Colts after they dominated the first half.

Guest _my_2_cents_
I love when a team makes mistakes and their fans try to act like it's no big deal or that mental errors aren't part of the game. Part of being a good team is being disciplined enough to not commit stupid penalties or to perform when the game is on the line regardless of what the stats say...............................

..............I'm not sure they are mentally tough enough and/or disciplined to win pressure-cooker type of playoff games against teams like NE or Indy (their pissing and moaning afterwards only reinforced that).

You mean like Brady throwing critical interceptions as he did on the final drives of both the Pats/Chargers and later Pats/Colts games? :thumbsdown:

Guest JahRasta311
You mean like Brady throwing critical interceptions as he did on the final drives of both the Pats/Chargers and later Pats/Colts games? :doublethumbsup:

no, see...there's a double standard in the NFL. the patriots can do no wrong.

Change your signature as the Chargers and LTear :bandana: are'nt winning any SB's in this century. Norv Turner sucks, Go Pats :doublethumbsup:

norvella's a wet noodle and he is going to take this team right down the toilet. :cheers:

he has never been nor ever will be a good head coach. no fockin way norv turner wins a superbowl. i can't believe there are actually football fans who think there is even a slim chance. the chargers went cheap on the staff and its going to cost them.

and before you dolt fans start squackin your jaws about the raiders funk the last few years, wake me when you actually win something.

norv sux, always has always will. its one of the 3 guaranteed things in life; death, taxes and norv turner sucking. :doublethumbsup:

HTH, now everyone can go back to their normal lives. this thread is useless, this subject is useless. i can't believe this is even debateable given the overwhelming facts that verify norvella sucking. :bandana:

What a curious, sad, pathetic little man!

The one thing SD does NOT have in common with those other 3 teams is a new coaching staff. The Pats, Steelers and Colts each had a proven, Defensive-minded Head Coach running the show. And their staffs had continuity. I think its a tall order expecting a glorified offensive coordinator like Norv Turner to lead this team to the Superbowl. I dont see it happening. I love the team. They lost 3 games by a total of 9 points last year, including that playoff game which they clearly should have won. Thats impressive stuff. But then you go and fire your Head Coach and lose your entire staff?? Who does that? Thats just bad karma. Having said that, Im gonna flip that coin. Because it HAS been done and fairly recent. Tampa Bay fired Dungy just a few years ago and hired an offensive-minded HC in Gruden and it got them over the top in his 1st year. So THAT precedent is the one which I see as more relevant in this situation here for Chargers fans, not the strange coinicience of last year's win total. The Rams and Patriots of a few Superbowls ago were coming off 4 and 5 win seasons respectively, and it didnt exactly slow them down. So you can throw that meaningless stat out the window. For the record, Im not a SD fan but I had the Chargers winning the Superbowl at the beginning of last season, so I completely agree that this team has a title feel to it. Now that Rivers has a little playoff experience under his belt and a longer leash with which to run this team, I think they may just be ready.

I think the one think that makes the Charges different thant he Pats, Steelers and Colts is that Schottenhiemer was played a large part in those 3 loses by a total of 9 points. Marty made the OC play Marty Ball and in the play-off game he decided to go for it on 4th and 11 just before the half. I think Marty was part of the problem. The Chargers won't miss Marty. Norv installed the offense several years ago so I don't think that will be an issue. My biggest concern is on the defensive side of the ball. But, as long as the DC continues to blitz Merriman and Phillips...we should be okay.

This team has a real shot at winning the title.

I really do think that the reason Bellichek signed players with bad attitudes like Moss and Meriweather is because they knew they could not hang with the Chargers in 2007 unless they made a big spash in Free Agency. They knew they got lucky that day.

I can't wait til they play again this year. LT was so pissed off that the PATS players were mocking Merriman after the game by doing his "Lights Out" dance. Remember?

You mean like Brady throwing critical interceptions as he did on the final drives of both the Pats/Chargers and later Pats/Colts games? :dunno:

I'm not sure why this is relevant to this topic but yes, exactly like that. Fortunately for the Pats Troy Brown was disciplined enough to make a crazy play against SD to give Brady another chance. Unfortunately, there was no second chance against Indy. If you want to win a Super Bowl you have to cut down the mental mistakes. That was a calling card for the Pats in the past but they have become sloppier the past few years and need to tighten up that area. These errors killed the Pats two years ago against Denver and helped kill them against Indy last year. Although in all honesty Indy basically beat their butt in the second half and the loss wasn't about Patriot mistakes but simply getting outplayed.

Guest JahRasta311
norvella's a wet noodle and he is going to take this team right down the toilet. ;)

he has never been nor ever will be a good head coach. no fockin way norv turner wins a superbowl. i can't believe there are actually football fans who think there is even a slim chance. the chargers went cheap on the staff and its going to cost them.

and before you dolt fans start squackin your jaws about the raiders funk the last few years, wake me when you actually win something.

norv sux, always has always will. its one of the 3 guaranteed things in life; death, taxes and norv turner sucking. :dunno:

HTH, now everyone can go back to their normal lives. this thread is useless, this subject is useless. i can't believe this is even debateable given the overwhelming facts that verify norvella sucking. :bandana:

he's only been a head coach for teams that have no talent on their roster. you have no room to talk about coaches, your new head coach is a college coordinator.

wake me up when you win more than 2 games.

I'm not sure why this is relevant to this topic but yes, exactly like that. Fortunately for the Pats Troy Brown was disciplined enough to make a crazy play against SD to give Brady another chance. Unfortunately, there was no second chance against Indy. If you want to win a Super Bowl you have to cut down the mental mistakes. That was a calling card for the Pats in the past but they have become sloppier the past few years and need to tighten up that area. These errors killed the Pats two years ago against Denver and helped kill them against Indy last year. Although in all honesty Indy basically beat their butt in the second half and the loss wasn't about Patriot mistakes but simply getting outplayed.

I agree, the Pats got outplayed in the 2nd half. I'm not just saying this because Im a Charger fan, but the Chargers would have killed Indy. The Chargers beat Indy in their last 2 or 3 meetings.

The last time Indy beat the Chargers, Manning had to convert a 4th and long to sustain the drive that won the game. The Chargers have had Indys number for a couple of years now.

Chargers fans are still whining about this game???? :shocking:

Get over it. Your team lost. If they were that good, they would have won. The Patriots gave them everyone opportunity to win and they still did not. That is because they are not a Championship team. Sorry. If they were, they would have won the game.

he's only been a head coach for teams that have no talent on their roster. you have no room to talk about coaches, your new head coach is a college coordinator.

wake me up when you win more than 2 games.

nice sig, jahchargerssucksta311.

although you'd be taken alot more seriously and not thought of as a focktard if you changed it to:

~~.SAN DIEGO CHARGERS.~~

Future Super Bowl Champions(mabey, eventually, hopefully before i die or at least in this millenium)

:mellow:

Guest JahRasta311
Chargers fans are still whining about this game???? :pointstosky:

Get over it. Your team lost. If they were that good, they would have won. The Patriots gave them everyone opportunity to win and they still did not. That is because they are not a Championship team. Sorry. If they were, they would have won the game.

Nobody was "whining" until Boston showed up trying to cut people down. They showed the replay on NFL Network, nobody just decided to bring it back up as a topic for no reason.

Btw, how's your hideous wife?

Guest JahRasta311
nice sig, jahchargerssucksta311.

although you'd be taken alot more seriously and not thought of as a focktard if you changed it to:

~~.SAN DIEGO CHARGERS.~~

Future Super Bowl Champions(mabey, eventually, hopefully before i die or at least in this millenium)

:pointstosky:

ummm good one, ratedruz rule.

my actual wish is, sometime before i die, to meet an actual intelligent Raider fan to have a decent argument instead of one where I just feel sorry for the other guy the whole time.

Reason San Diego lost that game:

1. Their players are a bunch of cocky, undisciplined idiots.

2. Marty Schottenheimer.

Guest JahRasta311
Reason San Diego lost that game:

1. Their players are a bunch of cocky, undisciplined idiots.

2. Marty Schottenheimer.

Do you dispute either of those points? Because it as quite clear that the Charger players expected to just show up and win the game, and it's also quite clear that Bill Belichick will always be 15 steps ahead of Marty Schottenheimer.

Guest JahRasta311
Do you dispute either of those points? Because it as quite clear that the Charger players expected to just show up and win the game, and its quite clear that Bill Belichick will always be 15 steps ahead of Marty Schottenheimer.

I dunno where you got the impression that the Chargers thought it was going to be an easy win when everything they said in the press leading up to the game was the exact opposite.

You can have your Marty argument, he's not around for it to matter now anyways.

I dunno where you got the impression that the Chargers thought it was going to be an easy win when everything they said in the press leading up to the game was the exact opposite.

Are you kidding me? They were talking serious trash before that game. Even after the game, Philip Rivers was ranting about how Ellis Hobbs was the "sorriest corner in the league" and so forth. The Chargers were way too over-confident because they knew, as everyone else did, that they had a lot more talent than the Pats. They didn't take into consideration just how much experience matters in the playoffs though.

Guest JahRasta311
Are you kidding me? They were talking serious trash before that game. Even after the game, Philip Rivers was ranting about how Ellis Hobbs was the "sorriest corner in the league" and so forth. The Chargers were way too over-confident because they knew, as everyone else did, that they had a lot more talent than the Pats. They didn't take into consideration just how much experience matters in the playoffs though.

find me any instances of trash-talking before the game.

rivers was saying that about hobbs after the game because he was pissed at hobbs for mocking the chargers, is it that hard to understand?