Sign in to follow this  
Patriotica

I got the biggest laugh at my draft Tuesday

I hate getting laughs when I don't intend to. :thumbsdown:

So, I enter my draft with a weak knowledge of defenses. I knew that the best were Chi-town and Baltimore but after that I didn't know. I just went in armed with FFToday rankings. :thumbsdown:

During round 6 there was a defense run that scared me so I drafted the Cardinals. I mean, there they sit at #6 on this site's rankings. And I drafted the 10th defense to go in my league, too. But man did people laugh. Yet I was chuckling at them thinking FFToday had to know something they didn't. :thumbsup:

I ask...is having the Cards at #6 a glitch? Or are they going to be OK fantasy-wise.

That ranking is a joke. There is no way the cardinals and green bay have a better D than New England. I am losing faith in this site. You picked a horrible D and should be killed. :thumbsdown:

wow.... just, wow :thumbsdown:

arizona has a horrible defense. I'm talking embarassing horrible. your only prayer is that they get enough turnovers to offset the 30pts/game that they give up. But turnovers are hard to predict, so I'm just gonna say that there is good reason why you were laughed at.

I'm pretty sure the cards are still on the waiver wire in my 12 team league...

well Ds really dont have that much value unless u get the top three bears, ravens and maybe pats...after that its really not worth drafting until the very late rounds.....so i think u got the laugh just cuz u fell into the trap of the trend....what u should have done was pick another position when the defenses were flying off the board, especially in the 6th round....and u should be the one laughing at them....i dont pick a D and a kicker until the very last 2 rounds .....just my 2 cents

Yeah, I realized soon after that I should have plowed ahead and taken another skills guy but it was a surreal moment. I can guarantee I'll be going to the WW pool once the site is updated. I am not worried but the reaction at the draft and to my post shows that the AZ rank here is an serious outlier that should be tweeked.

EDIT: AZ fills the Def/ST spot. Points go for TDs, TOs and sacks only.

You should have been laughed at for not taking another RB or WR but not for taking AZ defense. My leagues D/ST scoring system is the same as yours...points for ST and D touchdowns, sacks, and turnovers. No negative points for allowing big points or yardage. In my league after CHI, BAL, and NE it's pretty much a crap shoot. Some people have been know to take a not so great defense over a better defense because they will get the chance to return more kicks all the way and will be on the field longer with more chances for a pick 6. We have 2 defenses in my league so if you don't get 1 of the 3 defenses previously mentioned you just play the favorable matchup each week. If this pick by itself ends up losing you games, weeks, and a championship I will be surprised.

As bad as that pick was, I don't think people drafting defenses in the 6th round should be laughing at anyone.

BAL

CHI

NE

SD

PHI

MIA

Stl

IND

Buf

SEA

Just off the top of my head, these are 10 Def I would have taken first. I might have forgotten a few, but with your league not penalizing for points scored, you want to go with a team that gets a lot of sacks, has good pass rushers and a good return man. I dont think Arizona has any of that. The only time you want to jump on a run is when the elite teams are still there. Since all 9 owners already had a DEF, you could have afforded to wait until the last few rounds to grab yours. Chalk it up to a lesson learned and watch the waiver wire for that team that outperforms pre-season expectations and grab em. Good luck!

The most ludicrous thing to me is not which team you picked but the fact that 10 defenses had already been drafted by round 6. I personally wouldn't even draft Chicago or Baltimore by round 6. Some might and I can understand that, but after New England and San Diego go, I would just wait until the last 3 rounds or so for the Defense and a Kicker. I got Carolina in the 2nd to last round and I was the last team to draft a DEF. Good luck. As has been said, I wouldn't worry about your league laughing at you. They were even more hasty in drafting whoever they drafted so early...

BAL

CHI

NE

SD

PHI

MIA

Stl

IND

Buf

SEA

Just off the top of my head, these are 10 Def I would have taken first. I might have forgotten a few, but with your league not penalizing for points scored, you want to go with a team that gets a lot of sacks, has good pass rushers and a good return man. I dont think Arizona has any of that. The only time you want to jump on a run is when the elite teams are still there. Since all 9 owners already had a DEF, you could have afforded to wait until the last few rounds to grab yours. Chalk it up to a lesson learned and watch the waiver wire for that team that outperforms pre-season expectations and grab em. Good luck!

I would put Denver and their ridiculous secondary up there. Should result in quite a few Int's.

Yeah this is not the place you want to go for your pre-rankings. Ever.

Really? According to rotosource, they were ranked #2 in accuracy from their 2006 projections.

I hate getting laughs when I don't intend to. :unsure:

So, I enter my draft with a weak knowledge of defenses. I knew that the best were Chi-town and Baltimore but after that I didn't know. I just went in armed with FFToday rankings. <_<

During round 6 there was a defense run that scared me so I drafted the Cardinals. I mean, there they sit at #6 on this site's rankings. And I drafted the 10th defense to go in my league, too. But man did people laugh. Yet I was chuckling at them thinking FFToday had to know something they didn't. :unsure:

I ask...is having the Cards at #6 a glitch? Or are they going to be OK fantasy-wise.

They laughed for grabbing the Cards that early. The DST run shouldn't have happened in the sixth, you followed the trend, and reached for an average DST.

The mistake wasn't taking Arizona's defense. The huge mistake was getting caught up in a position run, and making a pick with seriously diminished value.

You never want to get trampled in a position run and panic. Simply make a pick at another position and load up your team elsewhere. I've waited until the 11th round to pick a QB in the past, simply because I will not get involved in a run like that.

Really? According to rotosource, they were ranked #2 in accuracy from their 2006 projections.

I agree. I used their projections to win my league's championship last year and to finish second the two previous years. I think this site is on the money and it is by far my favorite FF site.

To the original poster, you need to find a more consistent D to be your starter, but I would keep the Cards on the bench if your roster size allows it. I am not a Cards fan but I live here in Phoenix. I've attended team practices in Flagstaff (it's pretty cool actually) and went to the last preseason game vs. the Chargers. These guys are implementing the Steelers mentality of "I'm gonna hit you so hard your momma's gonna bruise." They may give up points (which doesn't matter to you) but they will create plenty of turnovers. Losing Okeafor hurts, but I think they have the POTENTIAL to be a sleeper D this year.

I think when a team changes coaches, often time the defense is emphsized with a more aggresive style. You should see more turnovers and sacks in Arizona this year. And they could be a top 10 D, who knows? But taking them in the 6th round is a bit too soon!

As bad as that pick was, I don't think people drafting defenses in the 6th round should be laughing at anyone.

In my PPR league last year drafted Chicago D/St in the 6th and won the league. Went 13-3 and had 3 games where defensive differential alone won me the game. 10-6 would have put me in a tiebreak to make the playoffs. My D outscored some teams #1 WR for in the year in a PPR league...so...not really the dumbest move ever I'd say...

That said...the Cardinals in the 6th??? :wall:

I shot milk out of my nose when I read that :)

Dude, just 'cause they rank them doesn't mean you print out the sheet and draft with it...it's a start, you massage the numbers as you see fit, factor in your gut feelings, and come up with your own draft board.

If you are taking a defense that early, it better be the top 3 or 4. If not, best to wait until the end of the draft. A "run on defenses" shouldn't scare anyone because, if anything, it will mean you have time to draft defenses later and should be scooping up the RB's and WR's in those rounds that are still available. A defense always comes out of nowhere and ends up being servicable fantasy wise.

That ranking is a joke. There is no way the cardinals and green bay have a better D than New England. I am losing faith in this site. You picked a horrible D and should be killed. :sleep:

Do you mean the Pat's D that allowed 32 points in the second half of the AFC championship game? Not so sure about the Card's D, but the Packer D is going to be pretty darn good this year. Hell, they were pretty darn good last year.

BAL

CHI

NE

SD

PHI

MIA

Stl

IND

Buf

SEA

You will be sorry if you do not put the Vikings up in that list. All the touchdowns they have scored in the preseason will be something that continues during the season. If you defense is heavy toward sacks though I would temper their ranking though.

In my PPR league last year drafted Chicago D/St in the 6th and won the league. Went 13-3 and had 3 games where defensive differential alone won me the game. 10-6 would have put me in a tiebreak to make the playoffs. My D outscored some teams #1 WR for in the year in a PPR league...so...not really the dumbest move ever I'd say...

MAYBE you can justify the Ravens or Bears that high if it's a generous scoring system, but she was the 10th one to take a D that high. At least 7 other guys shouldn't be laughing.

Thanks to all replied. Again, I was weak in DEF/ST knowledge and made a mistake. I am sure that WW will yield a gem.

And thanks to mullog for a kind of favorable review. I will hold tight for now. I am very happy with my entire draft, loading up on 5 RBs and 5 WRs but going with just the one D. Ehh, we'll see.

You will be sorry if you do not put the Vikings up in that list. All the touchdowns they have scored in the preseason will be something that continues during the season. If you defense is heavy toward sacks though I would temper their ranking though.

Gotta agree, been grabbing Minn. in last few rounds in my drafts after CHI. BALT. SD and NE were taken way too early

The real question is why does FFToday think that Arizona is #6?

Exactly SuperDave. I also love the pre-season rankings and used them for two straight years. The Cardinals ranks is a simple question I need answered.

My TSN mag, which was home during the draft, says that AZ will have the easiest schedule of all teams. Hopefully this translates to a sleeper D.

Exactly SuperDave. I also love the pre-season rankings and used them for two straight years. The Cardinals ranks is a simple question I need answered.

My TSN mag, which was home during the draft, says that AZ will have the easiest schedule of all teams. Hopefully this translates to a sleeper D.

Maybe they use CBSportsline as a source. Did anyone else see the video interview with SJAX a few weeks ago? If I remember correctly I believe he picked the Ariz Def as a possible sleeper or undervalued pick. He is a definite Stud RB in FF, but I can't say if that actually translates into picking fantasy Defenses. I would say without a doubt he has forgotten more about football than I will ever know.

I personally think FFToday rankings are always top notch. The real question is why does FFToday think that Arizona is #6?

:thumbsup:

If I couldn't get BAL or CHI, I would have waited until the last round. Maybe even taken the HOU defense if you get ST points. They will be scoring a lot on ST with the return game. And the defense is actually improving to where they should get a lot of turnovers as well. My point being that you may as well wait until the last round if you can't get one of the elite defenses, IMO.

What's your D scoring system?

Little-known fact among posters in this thread: The Cardinals forced 32 turnovers last year, tied for 4th-best in the NFL.

On the other hand, they ranked a mediocre 13th in sacks. with 38 (San Diego and Baltimore had 61 and 60).

A guy in our league (huge bears fan) drafted Hester AND Mush before Berrian was off the board...this guy also drafted the Bears D/ST in the fifth round....can't wait to play his team... :D

That's the week Hester will break 2 big returns for a TD.

Not saying this wasn't a bad pick for the OP, but the disparity of the responses highlights the fact that D/ST scoring is by far the most variable position scoring in FF. Defense doesn't matter is a mantra in FF advice, but in a lot of cases it's completely wrong. Don't assume it doesn't matter unless you know the league scoring, and likewise don't assume a defense sucks unless you know the scoring. Depending on the league a weak defense in the NFL can easily be a great FF defense, just like lots of people have Kitna slated as a top QB this year.

I have played in a couple leagues with high defensive scoring, and one league this year has jacked it up very high. From previous experience I am thinking about drafting two defenses and doing it earlier than expected because scoring will be pretty stratified and it will be much more effective for me to have 2 top defenses and putting pressure on the WW options for other teams than having a #5 WR that I will never start unless I am in desperate straights. I expect many of my league mates will probably stick to the traditional drafting strategies, but they are just reading the traditional advice columns instead of looking at the actual numbers and drafting on actual value.

That ranking is a joke. There is no way the cardinals and green bay have a better D than New England. I am losing faith in this site. You picked a horrible D and should be killed. :unsure:

Green Bay will be a steal, and end up top 5 scoring imo.