Sign in to follow this  
dorsett77

IS Cedric Benson really soft?

I don't know if Cedric could even run over a meter maid. Maybe he should talk to Randy Moss about how it is done.

I wanted to draft him after all the points were made about the Bears D and all the opportunities he will have. I watched a preseason game and I decided against it. I was a T.Jones/Benson owner last year. I have seen enough to know

STAY AWAY FROM BENSON HE SUCKS! HE GOES DOWN TO EASY AND HAS NO HEART OR BALLS.

Ultimately it's a team game. I believe that Benson's production is a symptom of a bigger problem (Rex Grrossman). The ability to stack the box with no fear of a consistent passing threat has got to have a lot to do with his lack of production.

If you think he sucks, thats your opinion. I just refuse to believe the guy has made it this far with no heart or balls. He has had games where he has produced in the NFL and he has an oppurtunity to show he can do it on a consistent basis.

If he has a couple more horrible games like he did Sunday, I will change my opinion.

Looking at his schedule he has an oppurtunity to take advantage of some weaker defenses. If he can't he is probably a bust

But I dont think that will happen.

Ultimately it's a team game. I believe that Benson's production is a symptom of a bigger problem (Rex Grrossman). The ability to stack the box with no fear of a consistent passing threat has got to have a lot to do with his lack of production.

If you think he sucks, thats your opinion. I just refuse to believe the guy has made it this far with no heart or balls. He has had games where he has produced in the NFL and he has an oppurtunity to show he can do it on a consistent basis.

If he has a couple more horrible games like he did Sunday, I will change my opinion.

Looking at his schedule he has an oppurtunity to take advantage of some weaker defenses. If he can't he is probably a bust

But I dont think that will happen.

I'd like to see what he can do with Griese in there against some lesser DEF.

I'd like to see what he can do with Griese in there against some lesser DEF.

I wonder if Griese is the answer. He's never really proved much either. But if things don't change, its worth a try.

Well regardless of whether you think it is absurd or not, there is at least 1 Chicago sports writer who feels it is a possibility.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...bears-headlines

At the very least he suggests going back to a more RBBC like approach, with the two sharing carries.

This article is no different than this forum board. It is simply the opinion of another individual. I don't value the opinion of a local beat writer any more than I would an expert on our boards. Personally, I think many of us know as much or more than some writers.

Let me state that I am very concerned about Benson. However, I do NOT think we can throw the towel in (like My2Cents is basically doing) yet. Again, he ran vs. a very strong D at their house. I drafted him in the 2nd round and sat him on my bench last week in favor of LaMont Jordan. I also drafted APete for insurance, so I am obviously concerned that he could bust. This week I have Benson in over Jordan because of the matchup. I knew going in that Benson has "bust potential" but felt that Jordan was going to have a coming out party this year. I will continue to play the match-ups and probably be fine at the end of they year as both will contribute. You can call the pre-season what you will. I have never (and will never) put much reliance on what I see in the pre-season. That being said, if Benson does not show up to play with heart and desire every week.......he will find his ass on the bench by mid-season at the latest.

Guest _my_2_cents_
This article is no different than this forum board. It is simply the opinion of another individual. I don't value the opinion of a local beat writer any more than I would an expert on our boards. Personally, I think many of us know as much or more than some writers.

Let me state that I am very concerned about Benson. However, I do NOT think we can throw the towel in (like My2Cents is basically doing) yet. Again, he ran vs. a very strong D at their house. I drafted him in the 2nd round and sat him on my bench last week in favor of LaMont Jordan. I also drafted APete for insurance, so I am obviously concerned that he could bust. This week I have Benson in over Jordan because of the matchup. I knew going in that Benson has "bust potential" but felt that Jordan was going to have a coming out party this year. I will continue to play the match-ups and probably be fine at the end of they year as both will contribute. You can call the pre-season what you will. I have never (and will never) put much reliance on what I see in the pre-season. That being said, if Benson does not show up to play with heart and desire every week.......he will find his ass on the bench by mid-season at the latest.

So you never (and never will) put reliance on the pre-season, yet from seeing Jordan play you think he's ready for a coming out party? So you put faith in Jordan's preseason but give Benson the benefit of the doubt.

:thumbsdown:

So you never (and never will) put reliance on the pre-season, yet from seeing Jordan play you think he's ready for a coming out party? So you put faith in Jordan's preseason but give Benson the benefit of the doubt.

:thumbsup:

He didn't say that.

I drafted Jordan as well in Round 8 not because he had a great preseason, in fact I didn't see one Raiders preseason game. I drafted him because I know form his years as a Jet and his first season in Oakland that he is a good RB that was in a terrible situation last year and then got injured. The play calling and o-line was terrible last season and that's why he was a bust before getting hurt.

I also base any assesment of Benson on last season, not this preseason (I didn't draft Benson as I has pick #12). Players that have their job locked up don't run the same in preseason. Also a few carries here and there does nothing. Benson looked powerful and ran hard late last year and in the playoffs.

I agree he looked soft in game one, but I will with hold any judgment on his season until I see him this week against a weaker defense (sorry cmh34567878).

I still like Benson, personally. The Bears should keep the faith in him and keep feeding him the ball.

I wonder if Griese is the answer. He's never really proved much either. But if things don't change, its worth a try.

If the question is "how to get bounced from the playoffs?" then yes, Griese is the answer.

Benson takes more hits from Chargers

--------------------

Tribune

September 12, 2007

Rex Grossman wasn't the only Bear taking verbal abuse Tuesday from the Chargers linebacker corps. During an interview on Sirius Radio, Shaun Phillips echoed a Yahoo! Sports report Sunday saying San Diego considered Cedric Benson "soft." Apparently that was San Diego's pregame scouting report.

"When we studied him that was one of our knocks on him is if you hit him a little bit he can get a little disgruntled and talk a little trash to him and give him a couple shots, he'll fold and take it in," Phillips told "The Afternoon Blitz." "That's what we were able to do and I'm pretty sure that's going to haunt him the rest of his career."

Copyright © 2007, The Chicago Tribune

:cheers:

I grabbed Peterson in my league. I could tell Benson would blow this year. He goes down like Jenna Jameson. Now how long will I have to wait before Peterson sees alot more carries.

thinking about grabbing Adrian for the bears too, am I crazy?

thinking about grabbing Adrian for the bears too, am I crazy?

Not crazy, but maybe a little desperate. I know that Benson is bad, but Peterson has been pretty bad himself.

If the passing game doesn't get any better they will both be running into a brick wall all season.

If Rex gets better Benson gets better.

Bears dispute notion that RB Benson lacks toughness

Sept. 14, 2007

While it’s true that team insiders believe Bears RB Cedric Benson needs to show major improvement in a lot of areas as the team’s new undisputed No. 1 back replacing the departed Thomas Jones, they maintain his toughness and assertiveness are not issues worth being concerned about. Benson’s toughness became more of an issue than it deserved to be following a claim on a national radio show by Chargers LB Shaun Phillips early this week that the San Diego defense knew it could handle Benson — who gained an unimpressive 42 yards in Week One with a lost fumble — because he was “soft.” Although this was not the first time Benson’s toughness had been questioned on a national level, Benson’s teammates paint a totally different picture of the former first-round pick. While they admit his laid-back demeanor might make it seem as though he isn’t going all out all the time, to a man they believe he hits defenders as hard as any back in the league, if not harder. They cite examples like his collision with Junior Seau in the New England game last year, which resulted in a broken arm for the future Hall of Fame linebacker. Another recent disclosure by the national media claims that Benson is carrying grudges against certain teammates and is far from being the most popular player on the team. The way we hear it, Benson has been accepted as the team’s starting back but is not held in the same regard as Jones, who proved his worth over the course of three solid seasons with the Bears. While it’s true that Benson is a bit of a loner, he’s certainly not the only player on the team who fits that description. According to team insiders, Benson’s interaction with teammates, both on and off the field, has steadily increased, albeit not dramatically.

profootballweekly.com

Not crazy, but maybe a little desperate. I know that Benson is bad, but Peterson has been pretty bad himself.

If the passing game doesn't get any better they will both be running into a brick wall all season.

If Rex gets better Benson gets better.

Thanks dorsett, I don't need him but i'm near the end of the WW waiver wire pecking order, he had good ypc last game, and would love to nab him if he get's the starting nod over benson, bear homers don't see the changing of the guard i take it.

Thanks dorsett, I don't need him but i'm near the end of the WW waiver wire pecking order, he had good ypc last game, and would love to nab him if he get's the starting nod over benson, bear homers don't see the changing of the guard i take it.

He had one bad game. With all the over analysis that comes with week 1 of the fantasy season, his bad performance was magnified. If i had to guess, a smart coach like Lovie Smith, will stick with the decision he spent all off- season making.

I don't believe he has even considered not starting Benson, but his leash may be getting shorter.

24 for 101 is decent...nothing special, but an improvement. What jumps out a bit more is A. Peterson just 2 carries for 9 yards.

24 for 101 is decent...nothing special, but an improvement. What jumps out a bit more is A. Peterson just 2 carries for 9 yards.

AP also fumbled on one of the carries at the end of the play, it was a clear fumble, but didnt get put in the books...everyone saw it though, but he luckily was falling on top of it anyhow.

AP did get 3 catches though...if Benson were already getting those, his stock would for sure be taking a step turn the other way....but for now, at least its leveled off for a week.

Rex stinks, but in all honesty, there will be so much rex benching talk this year that benson will prob slide under the radar all year getting 80% of the work, at least....even with the occasional bad game.

Guest _my_2_cents_

Benson still looked soft.

I watched a lot of that game. He crumpled on contact. His long runs were when the hole was wide open and he could scamper a bit. But make no mistake - the second he was touched he hit the turf.

A better effort, yes. But I still think he's soft - until I see him push a pile or break a tackle, I'll continue to think that.

Benson still looked soft.

I watched a lot of that game. He crumpled on contact. His long runs were when the hole was wide open and he could scamper a bit. But make no mistake - the second he was touched he hit the turf.

A better effort, yes. But I still think he's soft - until I see him push a pile or break a tackle, I'll continue to think that.

How did LJ look?

Guest _my_2_cents_
How did LJ look?

what does that have to do with Benson looking soft? :music_guitarred:

Verdict is still out on whether he is soft or not, but as far as effectiveness goes he is right up there with LJ, LT and S.Jax

But he's no DeShawn Wynn. :banana:

:thumbsup:

Are you implying that I based my thoughts on Jordan from the preseason? No sir, I've known what Jordan is capable of long before this preseason. It was more of an assurance for me that he was healthy in the preseason. His performance in the preseason wasn't moving him up or down on my draft list. Good effort on 'putting words in my mouth', though.

Benson didn't look any softer than Shawn Alexander. I am not saying Benson is LT, personally I think Thomas Jones is a harder runner. However, some of you are just piling it on him for no proven reason. Benson has gotten off everywhere he's been. He can be as soft as he wants as long as he puts up numbers. He will rush for over 1k and have 8-10 TD's. Exactly what I need out of my RB2.

Cedric Benson has rushed for over 100 yards in two of his last three regular-season games after getting 101 on 24 carries vs. the Chiefs. He had 109 yards on 13 carries in the 2006 finale vs. the Packers.

I look for him to have a good day against the Boyz this week. They are soft up the middle and I think the Bears gameplan will be to keep Romo and TO off the field.

This is the exactly what the dolphins didn't do, and by the second half the defense was gassed and Marion the Barbarian punished them.

So I expect a heavy dose of Benson, and a handful of deep shots on that suspect secondary.

Is this his chance to show the world in primetime he can play. Has a chance to have a big game on a shaky cowboys defense. I see a a ton of touches coming his way.

Nobody will ever be able to convince me that getting rid of Thomas Jones was a good move.

Thomas Jones is a smaller back who finishes so much better than Benson, just doesn't make sense. I guess some guys just want it more than others.

The BIG concern with benson is EXACTLY what we saw last night...the bears went down, and were was benson in the 2nd half? He wasnt even on the field.

3rd downs are bad enough, but when you need to pass the ball consistantly and basically NEVER get on the field...thats just rough.

He woulda had a nice little day yesterday otherwise....but if ap keeps coming in, that crushes bensons value.

The BIG concern with benson is EXACTLY what we saw last night...the bears went down, and were was benson in the 2nd half? He wasnt even on the field.

3rd downs are bad enough, but when you need to pass the ball consistantly and basically NEVER get on the field...thats just rough.

He woulda had a nice little day yesterday otherwise....but if ap keeps coming in, that crushes bensons value.

Benson's fumble didn't help either.

Benson's fumble didn't help either.

no it didnt...but in all honesty, he was fighting for yards on that, and I do think the one view showed that his elbow was in fact down JUST before the ball was RIPPED loose (it didnt pop out, it was ripped out).

That all said...I think there is enough attention on rex, that bensons job is safe. Its just that his damn job is limited.

IMO Benson's value took another hit Sunday night. That's the second time this season he's been benched due to fumblitis. From what I've seen in the three games this season, he's been average so far at best. Granted the passing game is doing him NO favors. Grossman has just been awful, and I think that Benson is good enough to put up productive numbers (not *great* numbers though) in a balanced offense. Right now, the Bears have been unable to get any type of drive going and I think it's hard to get anything going rushing once on a three-and-out series. Hopefully the QB change (you know it's coming) will turn things around...until then, Benson is on my bench.

Guest _my_2_cents_

I took a lot of heat for passing him up for Ronnie Brown. All things considered, Brown's been a lot better. Especailly now that RB has a 211, 3 TD game under his belt, and two games of 15/12 in PPR scoring.

Benson has one 100 yd game and two sucky ones. And I hate to say it but Trent Green >>> Rex Grossman.

I think Brown has better value all year barring injury to anyone - that MIA offense won't repeat that rushing performance, but the O-Line fixed a few things, that's for sure.

Griese could help Benson more than anyone at this point. And I'm not 100% sold on him either as far as turnovers.