Sign in to follow this  
dorsett77

IS Cedric Benson really soft?

Actually, the Ricky Williams comparison is fair in at least one regard. I know some guys in Austin (not students) who were around Cedric enough to know that he has a very strong appreciation for the herb.

Yeah, obviously you are not a fan of Benson. And maybe I'm an apologist

But you seem to harbor a lot of ill will as well. I just am simply stating that I am not the only person who believed this guy had tremendous ability. He was taken with the third pick and I watched him not only at the university of texas but as a high school player.

At every level until now he was an imposing physical runner with burst to break the long one. Now I admit he has shown none of that as a pro, but until they send him packing, I have to think the Bears see something in him.

At the least you have to think if this guy gets it together what ever "it" is, he could be a very good back in this league.

And I think that until he is a total bust living off berries and wheat grass in some commune some where, the comparisons to Ricky Williams are unfair.

As for the Ricky Williams comparison, I dont like it either.

Cedric Benson hasnt done a damn thing in the NFL. At least Williams won a rushing title and had some good seasons.

Ricky Williams >>>>>>>>>> Cedric Benson.

Another byproduct of Cedric Benson's slow start could be a national media following the Bears this year more than ever will dredge up the cool reception Benson once got in the locker room. After Sunday's game, Yahoo! Sports reported a conversation with an unnamed Bear in July that suggested Benson still has hard feelings for Brian Urlacher and Ricky Manning Jr. for their treatment of him. The same online report quoted an anonymous Chargers player saying of Benson: "We felt we could get in his head. It's not like we were looking at Larry Johnson or anyone back there saying 'let's go.' I talk to guys around the league. [benson] took himself out of the Super Bowl. That's letting down your team. I guess that's what kind of guy he is. We knew that, and we played accordingly."

This more than anything will be Bensons problem. He has lost the respect of his teamates it seems.

As for what the Chargers say I don't think that means much. They are going to talk like anytime they can get away with it.

Its the name of the game you shut 'em down, You talk $h!t. Thats how it goes.

But with out being able to rally support from your own team thats a killer.

maybe it is his personality, but the circumstances aren't that great to succeed

I cannot believe how much criticism Benson is getting after running week one vs the Chargers.

How many of you are failing to realize that LT only averaged 2.1 yards per carry in the very same game? FYI, Benson average around 3.5 yards per carry.

Shall we just give the ball to Michael Turner now?

C'mon geeks, act like geeks. You know better!

Playing well would fix everything.

Here is an idea......Let's give a guy 3-4 weeks before throwing him under the bus and asking for his replacement. It is week one people!

Benson reminds me of another Bears first round RB draft pick, but without the upside - Rashaan Salaam. Should be good, predicted to be good, drafted in the first round, signed to big monty - just missing that special something - HEART.

Here is an idea......Let's give a guy 3-4 weeks before throwing him under the bus and asking for his replacement. It is week one people!

So the pre-season shouldn't be considered at all, you know when the guy averaged 2.3 yards per carry? Game 2 & 3 he had 10+ carries, so it isn't like he ran 3 times for 7 yards - he hasn't looked good in preseason and looked even worse in Game 1. He11 his own coach put his butt down on the :music_guitarred: , so why would I feel good about leaving him in my starting lineup?

I cannot believe how much criticism Benson is getting after running week one vs the Chargers.

How many of you are failing to realize that LT only averaged 2.1 yards per carry in the very same game? FYI, Benson average around 3.5 yards per carry.

Shall we just give the ball to Michael Turner now?

C'mon geeks, act like geeks. You know better!

This is the dumbest argument Ive ever seen on this board. I dont know what league you played in this week but LaDainian scored 18.45 points with 1 rushing TD and 1 Passing TD while Benson scored 3.30 points fumble included. As far as the Ricky Williams comparison, it has nothing to do Texas , dreadlocks and both where powerful backs in college ( althought you can't deny it). Ricky Willams was a top 5 RB on the field but he had social issues like Benson does. Remember the interviews with his helmet on? The teammates saying no one on the team did things with ricky off the field? Benson was seen on the sideline talking to himself. Last year in training camp, the Bears wanted him to be the starting RB but he didnt socialize with his teammates especially the OFFENSIVE LINE thus causing Smith to go with Jones. This year Benson said he doesnt trust some of his teammates and felt like they took extra shots at him during training camp I WONDER WHY!!!!!!! With that being said, the comparison is accurate. The Bears made the mistake of letting Jones go and not signing Chris Brown during the off season. Simply putting it, the guy needs to be :thumbsdown:

Article on him talking about his teammates and Thomas Jones

http://boards.chicagobears.com/forums/thread/534909.aspx

This is the dumbest argument Ive ever seen on this board. I dont know what league you played in this week but LaDainian scored 18.45 points with 1 rushing TD and 1 Passing TD while Benson scored 3.30 points fumble included. As far as the Ricky Williams comparison, it has nothing to do Texas , dreadlocks and both where powerful backs in college ( althought you can't deny it). Ricky Willams was a top 5 RB on the field but he had social issues like Benson does. Remember the interviews with his helmet on? The teammates saying no one on the team did things with ricky off the field? Benson was seen on the sideline talking to himself. Last year in training camp, the Bears wanted him to be the starting RB but he didnt socialize with his teammates especially the OFFENSIVE LINE thus causing Smith to go with Jones. This year Benson said he doesnt trust some of his teammates and felt like they took extra shots at him during training camp I WONDER WHY!!!!!!! With that being said, the comparison is accurate. The Bears made the mistake of letting Jones go and not signing Chris Brown during the off season. Simply putting it, the guy needs to be :doublethumbsup:

Article on him talking about his teammates and Thomas Jones

http://boards.chicagobears.com/forums/thread/534909.aspx

Your first sentence shows your intelligence. A typical know-it-all who tries to flex on the message board. Why did you start spouting off fantasy points? Do you think Lovie is thinking......"Ced only scored 3 fantasy points this week, I am going to bench him"? No dork, but he will notice that he rushed for 3.6 yards, which was far better than LT's 2.1. If you want to seem smart when you post, start comparing apples to apples. People on this board are acting like Ced's performance should get him benched. That's BS. And yes....taking the pre-season in to consideration is irrational too. If he still blows after week 3-4, then it's time to talk. Ok coach?

Your first sentence shows your intelligence. A typical know-it-all who tries to flex on the message board. Why did you start spouting off fantasy points?

Maybe because this is a fantasy football site? You tried to compare Benson to LT? Now I see why you have been a member since 2001 and only have 100 plus post. No one listens to you. :lol:

Folks, the Bears will run over some people and the defense will give their offense some great opportunities, some of which will go to Benson's benefit. I consider last week a wash; that game could have ended 3-0 or 6-3 or so. He will have some good games; he will have some mediocre games (last week). If you see the Bears playing a weak opponent and you have no real RB1 type back to turn to, start Benson; if you see them playing a SD type opponent and you've got a decent RB2 option, then bench him. He is a fair to middlin' RB2. The only issue for some people is whether they drafted him too high. Guy like that has to prove he can produce over a whole season. He should get a few good games in as the season wears on.

Anyone want to say he's NOT getting 1000 yards, 5+TD's with that defense just handing the ball to them over and over again?

Maybe because this is a fantasy football site? You tried to compare Benson to LT? Now I see why you have been a member since 2001 and only have 100 plus post. No one listens to you. :lol:

Now I see why you've been on here for a few months and think you know something. Sir, save yourself the embarrassement and pipe down. When you've been around this site long enough, you may have some cred....you're just a loose sheep right now.

Now I see why you've been on here for a few months and think you know something. Sir, save yourself the embarrassement and pipe down. When you've been around this site long enough, you may have some cred....you're just a loose sheep right now.

Yes Sir! You are right. I do respect that you have been a member since 2001 and I apologize for my comments.

Benson reminds me of another Bears first round RB draft pick, but without the upside - Rashaan Salaam. Should be good, predicted to be good, drafted in the first round, signed to big monty - just missing that special something - HEART.

Dead on. This guy has never looked good. For a supposed power back, he sure hits the hole soft. Benson NEVER fights for extra yards either. He did the same thing last year, so this is nothing new.

Dead on. This guy has never looked good. For a supposed power back, he sure hits the hole soft. Benson NEVER fights for extra yards either. He did the same thing last year, so this is nothing new.

He showed the same tendencies in college ball, as well. A predictable bust. Many knowledgable Bears fans at the time rued the pick. This isn't a sudden revelation. It's not a good sign when Thomas Jones is better than you.

edit: all that said, you have to admit the Bears are pretty good at drafting. But Benson is perhaps the worst starting rb for SB caliber teams. Will it be their downfall?

Guest _my_2_cents_
Ricky Williams >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cedric Benson.

fixed.

Guest _my_2_cents_

It's not one week people have been criticizing here. It's his entire career from the holdout to the injuries to the "phantom" injuries to the alienation of the team and fans, etc, etc. Like I said - I was watching that game with 2 bears fans, and they both hated Benson's guts.

Tomlinson pounded the ball for his 2.1 yds per carry - he had a purpose for them. Those carries were why when it looked like power toss right, the enditre bears defense bit and charged him. That LT TD rollout is such a dangerous play - I think it might be the highest probability play ever - what is he, 8 of 9 with 8 TDs in his career as a QB? That has to be a record. Well all those 2.1 yd carries add up and sell the defense. The Bears were a'skeer'd. I'm surprised they didn't lose by more - if Rivers wasn't playing so poorly it wouldn't have been as close a game as it was. But the Bears basically came out and said, "we're terrified of LT, so we're sending everyone at him on every play. We're going to stop LT. But as anyone knows, you can't stop him - you can only hope to contain him. This game exemplified that. They "contained" him - for 25 yds, 6 receptions and 2 TDs, one passing. All the points the Chargers scored. Oops.

He also scored the RuTD on 2nd, 3rd and 4th effort. When he scored, the bears fan next to me said to himself, "and that's why he's the #1 overall pick" - kinda muttered it really. LT also had 6 receptions in that game.

If you're going to compare Benson to LT in any way, even using YPC, you're doing yourself a disservice. LT earned his keep on Sunday and Benson did not.

Anyone want to say he's NOT getting 1000 yards, 5+TD's with that defense just handing the ball to them over and over again?

This is the best point in the argument thusfar. Benson will get the opportunities and is good enough to cash in a decent amount of them. Adrian Peterson may very well be a better back, but he isn't going to see starting RB carries unless Benson sucks it up REALLY badly. Until that time, take a deep breath and wait for the Lions games...

It's not one week people have been criticizing here. It's his entire career from the holdout to the injuries to the "phantom" injuries to the alienation of the team and fans, etc, etc. Like I said - I was watching that game with 2 bears fans, and they both hated Benson's guts.

Tomlinson pounded the ball for his 2.1 yds per carry - he had a purpose for them. Those carries were why when it looked like power toss right, the enditre bears defense bit and charged him. That LT TD rollout is such a dangerous play - I think it might be the highest probability play ever - what is he, 8 of 9 with 8 TDs in his career as a QB? That has to be a record. Well all those 2.1 yd carries add up and sell the defense. The Bears were a'skeer'd. I'm surprised they didn't lose by more - if Rivers wasn't playing so poorly it wouldn't have been as close a game as it was. But the Bears basically came out and said, "we're terrified of LT, so we're sending everyone at him on every play. We're going to stop LT. But as anyone knows, you can't stop him - you can only hope to contain him. This game exemplified that. They "contained" him - for 25 yds, 6 receptions and 2 TDs, one passing. All the points the Chargers scored. Oops.

He also scored the RuTD on 2nd, 3rd and 4th effort. When he scored, the bears fan next to me said to himself, "and that's why he's the #1 overall pick" - kinda muttered it really. LT also had 6 receptions in that game.

If you're going to compare Benson to LT in any way, even using YPC, you're doing yourself a disservice. LT earned his keep on Sunday and Benson did not.

Bottom Line: You want to talk about how soft Benson is while he is 1 game in to full time duty. That my friends, is an injustice if I've ever seen one. The comparison was between LT for 1 game.....you know, the amount of time Benson has had to prove himself? This is not the first time LT has been "shut down".....I recall a game or two last year where he sucked, even from a fantasy stand point. Talking about benching Benson at this point in the season is absurd. If you want to bench him from a fantasy perspective, that's ok because you may have a better match up. However, don't look for Lovie to make that move any time soon.

You were talking him up big time all offseason, so it must be one game for you then. You constantly pointed out that he scored the same amount of TDs in less carries than Thomas Jones did. I give you the right to change your mind on a player, everyone does at points, but that last post seemed a little disingenous based on how you were gushing this offseason.

I think there's some middle ground here. I was not impressed with Benson at all in game one (don't care about the preseason much), but I was very impressed how he ran at the end of last season and in the playoffs. To me he ran very hard and was very effective at the goal line. I don't see him as elusive, but I did see heart and drive.

Right now I wouldn't be surprised if he busted, since he looked bad (albeit against a tough D), fumbled and was benched for a while. With the way the Bears play defense and with Rexy already being a turnover machine, fumbling will cost Benson playing time. With that said lets see how he does this week against a defense that all but cmh3456788 thinks is average but nothing special.

its JUST a little early to judge....

his FIRST game as lead guy vs the chanrgers D IN sd.......

give it time before u rush to any conclusions....

Benson takes more hits from Chargers

--------------------

Tribune

September 12, 2007

Rex Grossman wasn't the only Bear taking verbal abuse Tuesday from the Chargers linebacker corps. During an interview on Sirius Radio, Shaun Phillips echoed a Yahoo! Sports report Sunday saying San Diego considered Cedric Benson "soft." Apparently that was San Diego's pregame scouting report.

"When we studied him that was one of our knocks on him is if you hit him a little bit he can get a little disgruntled and talk a little trash to him and give him a couple shots, he'll fold and take it in," Phillips told "The Afternoon Blitz." "That's what we were able to do and I'm pretty sure that's going to haunt him the rest of his career."

Copyright © 2007, The Chicago Tribune

Guest _my_2_cents_
You were talking him up big time all offseason, so it must be one game for you then. You constantly pointed out that he scored the same amount of TDs in less carries than Thomas Jones did. I give you the right to change your mind on a player, everyone does at points, but that last post seemed a little disingenous based on how you were gushing this offseason.

Gee, wat was your reminder of that - maybe when in this very topic I posted that I was going to eat some crow by posting something against him?

And no - it wasn't one game. It was the entire preseason. As I posted earlier in the topic. I also posted about him after the Niners preseason game. Maybe next time when you want to call someone out for something you ought to check to see if they already manned up to being wrong. Otherwise you come off as kicking someone when they're down. Classy. :bandana: My main observations were the result of the game against the Niners. It was telling for me in that Nolan called the most predictable vanilla defense imaginable - no 8 in the box, no spy on Benson, nothing. And Benson would either dance around waiting for something to happen and get stuffed, or run right into the pile and fall to the ground.

My take on him before that was based on reports that he was in better conditioned shape - bigger & stronger, and my own take that a SB caliber team with a championship D to keep them in games and get them short field opportunities would result in a 1200/10 season with 300+ receiving. I thought that was a solid projection for him. That all changed when game after game in the preseason I saw the same thing: Benson crumple on contact. Verdict - soft.

I think there's some middle ground here. I was not impressed with Benson at all in game one (don't care about the preseason much), but I was very impressed how he ran at the end of last season and in the playoffs. To me he ran very hard and was very effective at the goal line. I don't see him as elusive, but I did see heart and drive.

I disagree - I saw him try to get 1 yard 4 times against the Niners and fail. Once it was against the 2nd team defense. I then saw him try to get one yard in the Chargers game twice and fail both times - once for a loss.

Again - it's not one game snap judgement - I am not that kind of football or fantasy evaluator. I don't typically make snap judgements of players - especially ones I was really high on. I thought Benson would have a break out season and be one of the steals of the draft in the late 2nd/early 3rd round. I no longer believe that based on the fact that the one thing he's suppossed to do well is short yardage power running, and he's failing miserably at that. Plus with Grossman sucking eggs, teams are going to be stacking the line daring the Bears to air it out. And added to that the Bears have an NFC Champs schedule, which doesn't help Benson's chances of producing.

Right now I wouldn't be surprised if he busted, since he looked bad (albeit against a tough D), fumbled and was benched for a while. With the way the Bears play defense and with Rexy already being a turnover machine, fumbling will cost Benson playing time. With that said lets see how he does this week against a defense that all but cmh3456788 thinks is average but nothing special.

Fair enough - I'm willing to watch him some more and see if it was just a fluke or a trend - no sweat off my sack, as the expression goes....but from what I've seen of him in his feature roll in the last several preseason games and in week #1, he sucks. He's a plodder with mediocre hands and moves, he lacks shiftiness and reads the defense terribly. He dances behind the line waiting for a hole to open and those times that he actually hits the hole with confidence he collapses on contact.

I was man enough to admit I was wrong about him, which I did in my 1st post in here - kind of thougth that might curtail the "but a month ago you said..." crap.

He should rebound this week. I also think he is horrible but this is his MO

He will get a lot of carries when this game is out of hand and make yards and probably have a couple of scores. He will strut around like the idiot that he is and we will all know the truth.

But remember this is fantasy football who cares if you got him have to play him against this team.

Guest _my_2_cents_
Benson takes more hits from Chargers

--------------------

Tribune

September 12, 2007

Rex Grossman wasn't the only Bear taking verbal abuse Tuesday from the Chargers linebacker corps. During an interview on Sirius Radio, Shaun Phillips echoed a Yahoo! Sports report Sunday saying San Diego considered Cedric Benson "soft." Apparently that was San Diego's pregame scouting report.

"When we studied him that was one of our knocks on him is if you hit him a little bit he can get a little disgruntled and talk a little trash to him and give him a couple shots, he'll fold and take it in," Phillips told "The Afternoon Blitz." "That's what we were able to do and I'm pretty sure that's going to haunt him the rest of his career."

Copyright © 2007, The Chicago Tribune

THAT is exactly what I saw in the preseason that caused me to lose faith in him as a potential breakout player. I didn't know about the trash talking/mental aspect, but I saw that he'd come out fired up, then take a shot or two and get up slower, walk to the huddle slower and hang his shoulders a bit. He seemed to be dejected if he couldn't break a big one.

That team seems very very bad offensively - if Benson isn't collapsing on contact, Grossman's turning the ball over. I think it was a bit of a fluke that they made the Superbowl.

Talking about benching Benson at this point in the season is absurd. If you want to bench him from a fantasy perspective, that's ok because you may have a better match up. However, don't look for Lovie to make that move any time soon.

Well regardless of whether you think it is absurd or not, there is at least 1 Chicago sports writer who feels it is a possibility.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...bears-headlines

At the very least he suggests going back to a more RBBC like approach, with the two sharing carries.

I recently read that Benson averaged 4.3 ypc in the last 10 games last season. He will be fine for FF. He never was an elite back and most likely was never drafted as one in FF. There where no holes for Benson to run in on Sunday, and the Bears offense stalled against the chargers D. When the Bears offense opens up, you will see Benson put up good #2 rb numbers. This weekend should be a good indication.

Gee, wat was your reminder of that - maybe when in this very topic I posted that I was going to eat some crow by posting something against him?

And no - it wasn't one game. It was the entire preseason. As I posted earlier in the topic. I also posted about him after the Niners preseason game. Maybe next time when you want to call someone out for something you ought to check to see if they already manned up to being wrong. Otherwise you come off as kicking someone when they're down. Classy. :rolleyes: My main observations were the result of the game against the Niners. It was telling for me in that Nolan called the most predictable vanilla defense imaginable - no 8 in the box, no spy on Benson, nothing. And Benson would either dance around waiting for something to happen and get stuffed, or run right into the pile and fall to the ground.

My take on him before that was based on reports that he was in better conditioned shape - bigger & stronger, and my own take that a SB caliber team with a championship D to keep them in games and get them short field opportunities would result in a 1200/10 season with 300+ receiving. I thought that was a solid projection for him. That all changed when game after game in the preseason I saw the same thing: Benson crumple on contact. Verdict - soft.

I disagree - I saw him try to get 1 yard 4 times against the Niners and fail. Once it was against the 2nd team defense. I then saw him try to get one yard in the Chargers game twice and fail both times - once for a loss.

Again - it's not one game snap judgement - I am not that kind of football or fantasy evaluator. I don't typically make snap judgements of players - especially ones I was really high on. I thought Benson would have a break out season and be one of the steals of the draft in the late 2nd/early 3rd round. I no longer believe that based on the fact that the one thing he's suppossed to do well is short yardage power running, and he's failing miserably at that. Plus with Grossman sucking eggs, teams are going to be stacking the line daring the Bears to air it out. And added to that the Bears have an NFC Champs schedule, which doesn't help Benson's chances of producing.

Fair enough - I'm willing to watch him some more and see if it was just a fluke or a trend - no sweat off my sack, as the expression goes....but from what I've seen of him in his feature roll in the last several preseason games and in week #1, he sucks. He's a plodder with mediocre hands and moves, he lacks shiftiness and reads the defense terribly. He dances behind the line waiting for a hole to open and those times that he actually hits the hole with confidence he collapses on contact.

I was man enough to admit I was wrong about him, which I did in my 1st post in here - kind of thougth that might curtail the "but a month ago you said..." crap.

Mental note to self.....don't argue with my 2 cents because he gives rebuttals like an attorney, line by line :rolleyes:

And no - it wasn't one game. It was the entire preseason. As I posted earlier in the topic. I also posted about him after the Niners preseason game. Maybe next time when you want to call someone out for something you ought to check to see if they already manned up to being wrong. Otherwise you come off as kicking someone when they're down. Classy. :doublethumbsup: My main observations were the result of the game against the Niners. It was telling for me in that Nolan called the most predictable vanilla defense imaginable - no 8 in the box, no spy on Benson, nothing. And Benson would either dance around waiting for something to happen and get stuffed, or run right into the pile and fall to the ground.

Sorry if you think I "called you out" wasn't my intent and if you reread my post I think you'll see that. I and even said your entitlted to change your mind on players as we all do it from time to time. Its the nature of the beast.

Ok so it was based on preseason and the one game. I can't base much on preseason personally as some players slack a bit and players are just out there to take hits and get game ready, especially players who have a job wrapped up.

Like I said, it wouldn't surprise me if he does "bust", but I do think he looked good in the second half of last season and in the playoffs. There he appeared to fight for yards. I didn't see that in week one at all, so we'll see.

Guest _my_2_cents_
because he gives rebuttals like an attorney, line by line :pointstosky:

No, but I stayed at a holiday inn last night. :doh:

Guest _my_2_cents_
Like I said, it wouldn't surprise me if he does "bust", but I do think he looked good in the second half of last season and in the playoffs. There he appeared to fight for yards. I didn't see that in week one at all, so we'll see.

it's cool, guess I misunderstood. sorry about that.

But I do think when he was competing with Jones he has incentive to play. Now I think he has Kevin Barlow syndrome. His play reminds me very much of that. I wonder if "the other" Adrian Peterson could end up in a RBBC with a few other games. Fans already want Griese in there...and many don't like Benson. Rough year for the defending NFC champs if they can't right this ship.

I watched him not only at the university of texas but as a high school player.

When Ced was at UT, all of the Longhorn fans I know were clamoring for Selvin Young. I think part of his problem is that he has somewhat of a laid-back demeanor that gives the impression that he doesn't care, to fans anyway. But like you said, he got it done at UT and he will have the opportunity to get it done this year. I think it's 50-50 whether he does it. He certainly has the ability, but it does not appear that he has the drive.

I won't predict any stats, but I will say that I would rather have the "other" Adrian Peterson on my bench than Benson.

Bears RB: 'I'll run over that dude'

Posted: Thursday September 13, 2007 06:58AM ET

Cedric Benson tried to hide his anger behind a smile, but he was visibly ticked off about the verbal assault brought on Chargers' linebacker Shaun Phillips. During an interview on Sirius satellite radio on Tuesday, Phillips echoed a Yahoo! Sports report Sunday saying San Diego considered Benson "soft." "I'll run that dude over any day," Benson said, his smile making it seem like no big deal but his body language revealing his fury. "If I met him the hole? Any day. You know, one-on-one? Yeah, right. Come on."

:music_guitarred:

I don't know if Cedric could even run over a meter maid. Maybe he should talk to Randy Moss about how it is done.

I wanted to draft him after all the points were made about the Bears D and all the opportunities he will have. I watched a preseason game and I decided against it. I was a T.Jones/Benson owner last year. I have seen enough to know

STAY AWAY FROM BENSON HE SUCKS! HE GOES DOWN TO EASY AND HAS NO HEART OR BALLS.