Sign in to follow this  
BirdBradyBobbyOrr

Pats Defense

Not sure what happened to my entire post, but the point is they are currently overrated on D.

Despite Reche Caldwell's awfulness in the AFC Championship, let's not forget the Defense cost us that game. The same D who set a franchise record in points allowed also choked in the end.

My concerns include...

Rodney Harrison is noticeably absent, Merriweather is no Rodney and can't roam free without the All Pro Harrison running the DB's. No spark in the secondary if you ask me.

No push from 3 man lines. Sure we've stopped the run but I don't see the push we normally get with Richard Seymour in there.

Several long drives, 1 in the SD game to start the 2nd half, and 1 early in the Buff game on Sunday. Both were highlighted by lots of runs up the middle and a short play where the Pats D got tricked. Against SD they gave Lorenzo Neal a short TD pass and against Buff they spread us wide and ran Lynch up the gut.

5 trips for opponents in our Red Zone = 5 TD's. Worst Red Zone defense in the NFL.

The Patriots also have the lowest YPG allowed in the NFL right now. Those TD's that team's scored almost all came late in games when it was already over and the Pats were playing prevent. Again, lowest YPG allowed in the NFL so far.

Several long drives, 1 in the SD game to start the 2nd half, and 1 early in the Buff game on Sunday. Both were highlighted by lots of runs up the middle and a short play where the Pats D got tricked. Against SD they gave Lorenzo Neal a short TD pass and against Buff they spread us wide and ran Lynch up the gut.

Yeah it's called letting the other team eat up clock when you are winning.

Learn2football.

Oh STFU!!!

It's like the hot model chick that complains that she's too fat.

Stop nit-picking.

Yeah it's called letting the other team eat up clock when you are winning.

Learn2football.

You guys aren't accurate. In the SD game they came out and ran the ball right up our gut. Sure it was a terrible decision by San Diego to have an 8 minute drive and sure the Pats gave them the short stuff, but the Patriots weren't trying to let them score.

In the Buffalo game the Bills drove down field and scored with Lynch and that put them ahead.

Learn2football is a stupid thing to say. Nobody let's the other team eat up the clock. What they try to do is beat the bag out of the opponent get the ball back and let their offense eat up the clock.

I've never heard of it the other way.

Do Defenses play conservative when ahead? Sure. Do they let them eat up the clock? Not to my understanding.

If you are talking from the NFL perspective, they are 3rd in points allowed and 1st in yards allowed. From a fantasy perspective they are getting me more than 15 points per week. I cannot ask for more from a defense.

What more do you want or expect?

You guys aren't accurate. In the SD game they came out and ran the ball right up our gut. Sure it was a terrible decision by San Diego to have an 8 minute drive and sure the Pats gave them the short stuff, but the Patriots weren't trying to let them score.

In the Buffalo game the Bills drove down field and scored with Lynch and that put them ahead.

Learn2football is a stupid thing to say. Nobody let's the other team eat up the clock. What they try to do is beat the bag out of the opponent get the ball back and let their offense eat up the clock.

Do Defenses play conservative when ahead? Sure. Do they let them eat up the clock? Not to my understanding.

You're out of your mind. You point to two drives in 3 games that teams were able to move the ball as proof that their defense isn't very good. What about the 90-something % of the remaining drives they've stopped this season?

Are you saying that the 85 Bears or 00 Ravens didn't have an occassional drive or big play against them?

If you seriously believe that a defense who causes a turnover, than gives up a TD followed by 7 straight 3 and outs is "not as good as advertised" than you need your sanity checked...

"No push from 3 man lines."

"3 man lines"

"3 man lines"

letting them eat up clock is exactly what that is. here have a bunch of short plays lol.

You're out of your mind. You point to two drives in 3 games that teams were able to move the ball as proof that their defense isn't very good. What about the 90-something % of the remaining drives they've stopped this season?

Are you saying that the 85 Bears or 00 Ravens didn't have an occassional drive or big play against them?

If you seriously believe that a defense who causes a turnover, than gives up a TD followed by 7 straight 3 and outs is "not as good as advertised" than you need your sanity checked...

I'm saying that I've been a season ticket holder for many years and I've seen the best Patriots Defenses play. Currently this isn't one of them.

I thought they would be the best fantasy D and best D in the NFL but then Rodney got suspended and Seymour got hurt. We might still be the best in the NFL but we aren't playing to our top potential and while I hate to say it , I think it's true.

Sure they are one of the best and they are playing well but they played against 2 bad teams the Jets and Bills and one team that is playing terrible, the Chargers. I don't think it's a stretch to say they look beter then they are because they've been way ahead early in games and playing bad teams.

San Diego laid down. Rivers laid down and Norv is the worst coach around. THe Bill put their butts in the air and let the Pats give it to them after the 1st qtr.

How about this.. come back to me in 2 or 3 weeks when they really start dominating after Rodney comes back and tell me I was wrong then. You'll see a dominant D a top D in NFL History type Defense. Which this isn't at the current time. Rodney makes that much of a difference.

I'm saying that I've been a season ticket holder for many years and I've seen the best Patriots Defenses play. Currently this isn't one of them.

I thought they would be the best fantasy D and best D in the NFL but then Rodney got suspended and Seymour got hurt. We might still be the best in the NFL but we aren't playing to our top potential and while I hate to say it , I think it's true.

Sure they are one of the best and they are playing well but they played against 2 bad teams the Jets and Bills and one team that is playing terrible, the Chargers. I don't think it's a stretch to say they look beter then they are because they've been way ahead early in games and playing bad teams.

San Diego laid down. Rivers laid down and Norv is the worst coach around. THe Bill put their butts in the air and let the Pats give it to them after the 1st qtr.

How about this.. come back to me in 2 or 3 weeks when they really start dominating after Rodney comes back and tell me I was wrong then. You'll see a dominant D a top D in NFL History type Defense. Which this isn't at the current time. Rodney makes that much of a difference.

You're crazy. This D (granted its only thru 3 games) is far better than any of the Pats' teams that won super bowls, and far better than last years' team, which eventhough it set a record for fewest points allowed, it did so against a very weak schedule.

Go thru the roster- It's far deeper than any Pats' team has ever been with Wilfork, Green and Warren in their primes, and even Santonio Thomas already making big plays in limited action. Their CBs are better too- Samuel is a shutdown corner, Hobbs has been almost as good as Samuel since midway thru last season (and is a far better 2nd CB than any Patriots team has ever had), and Randall Gay (who was a starter in the Pats second super bowl win) is finally healthy and playing the slot. There's not a better 1-3 CB combination in the entire NFL. As far as safeties go, James Sanders has been unbelievable in the first 3 games last season. The only weak spot in the secondary so far, and he hasn't been much of a weak spot, is Eugene Wilson. When Rodney gets back, he's not going to give you more than Sanders has given you thru the first 3 weeks. It's impossible. The only SS in the league that's played better is maybe Ed Reed thru 3 games. He's been a force in stopping the run, and hasn't been beat in coverage yet...Plus he's single-handedly kept a man from getting a first down on 3 different occassions so far...

The LBs, although kind of old, are playing incredible so far. And Adalius Thomas is the most versatile Pats LB since Belichick has been the coach. Yes, admittedly Seau and Bruschi are not the same players they were in years past, but Colvin is playing better than he ever has in a Pats uniform (and maybe as good as he did in Chicago), and Vrable hasn't lost much on the outside. All in all, I don't see how they could've played any better. Yes, its only been 3 games, but you can count on one hand the mistakes this D has made thru 3 games against 2 playoff teams from last season...

Well the team that won our 3rd SuperBowl had

Wilfork, Warren, and Seymour with what Traylor, Marquise Hill as backups? Since Seymour is out right now I'd say they had a better line.

the LB's were Ted Johnson, Phifer, Bruschi, Vrabe, Willie McGinestl. We might have better LB's now but Bruschi, MgGinest, and Vrabel were playing at an insane level during that stretch of 21 straight wins. Especially during the playoffs. I'm not about to say this LB core is better then that group. I mean really think of how well they played during that stretch? They also had Colving but he was injured for most of it.

DB's were Ty Law, Asante Samuel, Rodney Harrison and Eugene Wilson, Randall Gay, pretty much the same group just switch Law for Merriweather. Law is a Hall of Famer and Rodney is injured at this moment so I'd say the current group isn't as good.

We are close but I don't think after 3 games you can say this Defense is better then the Defense that led us to the all time NFL win streak of 21 games in a row? Are you really ready to jump that far ahead of ourselves? Maybe in a couple weeks. But until Rodney comes back and starts brutalizing people I'll hold that love.

I will say this Defense is hurting people. 2QB's in 3 weeks. The San Diego OLine got beat up. Rivers got hit repeatedly. LT got smacked around. Lorenzo Neal had to be hurting after that game cause people were taking runs at him. Gates got smashed off the line all day. We are hitting hard and hurting the other teams. Just check out the post game injury reports of our opponents. That was a hallmark of our best defenses.

DB's were Ty Law, Asante Samuel, Rodney Harrison and Eugene Wilson, Randall Gay, pretty much the same group just switch Law for Merriweather. Law is a Hall of Famer and Rodney is injured at this moment so I'd say the current group isn't as good.

you're forgetting Hobbs who is playing great right now, and James Sanders. Asante Samuel, I believe was only there for the last Super Bowl. Same with Randall Gay. The starting CB opposite Law was Tyrone Pool, who was solid, but not as good as either Hobbs or Gay IMO.

Anyway, I don't think its a stretch to say this team is playing better than the team that won 21 straight because in that stretch they won one game by more than 14 pts...This team has already won 3 by more than that. Obviously the improved offense has something to do with that, but the defense is a huge part too IMO.

Anyway, it's only been 3 games, so we'll see what the future holds.

you're forgetting Hobbs who is playing great right now, and James Sanders. Asante Samuel, I believe was only there for the last Super Bowl. Same with Randall Gay. The starting CB opposite Law was Tyrone Pool, who was solid, but not as good as either Hobbs or Gay IMO.

Anyway, I don't think its a stretch to say this team is playing better than the team that won 21 straight because in that stretch they won one game by more than 14 pts...This team has already won 3 by more than that. Obviously the improved offense has something to do with that, but the defense is a huge part too IMO.

Anyway, it's only been 3 games, so we'll see what the future holds.

Celtics Pride.

YOU THE MAN! GOOD BACK AND FORTH!

19-0 BEST DEFENSE EVER!!! If I ultimately have to choose a winner, me or you... I'll take your side becasue that's what I want to happen!

Season Ticket Holder Section 227 but living in San Diego

They will continue to get worse. They have to give up all of the tapes the recorded. They can't CHEAT anymore. FOCKING CHEATING FOCKS! : )

For starters, you're fishing with this post. That is clear.

Second, of course defenses let teams eat up the clock. With a 3+ score lead the Pats had, they'd be happy to let teams get 3-4 yards a play.

Celtics Pride.

YOU THE MAN! GOOD BACK AND FORTH!

19-0 BEST DEFENSE EVER!!! If I ultimately have to choose a winner, me or you... I'll take your side becasue that's what I want to happen!

Season Ticket Holder Section 227 but living in San Diego

It was a great debate. Props on the season tix! How many games do you get to go to a year?

Anyway, 3 down, 16 more to go.

GO PATS!!!

:mellow:

For starters, you're fishing with this post. That is clear.

Second, of course defenses let teams eat up the clock. With a 3+ score lead the Pats had, they'd be happy to let teams get 3-4 yards a play.

Ummm not I'm not fishing. I was posting my opinion as a focused observer of this team. At this point I think the Defense is more hype then actualy dominance. I think you can refer to the back and forth between myself and Celtic's Pride if you'd like to read our opinion.

Notice we didn't continually insult each other or start out our comments with "For starters, you're fishing with this post. That is clear." instead we had a nice back and forth.

I understnad what you mena about "eating up the clock" but back to my original point the Pats weren't doijng that. They didn't come out in the 2nd half and say let's let SD drive the field on us to start out hte half with a TD and a long drive.

They just got worked on that possesion..

No wonder everyone on the board hates Patriot fans. :rolleyes:

Speaking as a fellow Pat fan, I have no clue what you're on about Bird. It doesn't matter how many yards you're giving up, what matters is point totals.

1) 14, 14, 7. Those are amazing defensive totals, especially against SD. We did well against the Jets too considering they just put up 31 against Miami.

2) Our offense. I really doubt our D is playing with the same mindset simply because we're able to put up 38 a game. When have we ever been able to do that in the past decade? And 5 redzone trips in 3 games? How is that bad at all? Half of them have been when we've been up by a ton anyways.

I've watched every game too, and I don't think our defense has been bad at all. I'm not sure if the OP meant fantasy-wise or real life-wise, but it looks fine real-life wise. Oh, and we get Harrison back in about 10 days :music_guitarred:

Yea, the Pats have a good defense, but to compare this D to the 85' Bears or the 00' Ravens is crazy. To say that they would be an alltime NFL record setting defense is crazy. If you think this defense can even carry the jockstraps of the 85' Bears or 00' Ravens please let me get some of whatever ur smoking/drinking/snorting/injecting so I can be as focked up in the head as you are. Your crazy high brother, and I want some. This D is very good, but not even close to an all-time great.

Yea, the Pats have a good defense, but to compare this D to the 85' Bears or the 00' Ravens is crazy. To say that they would be an alltime NFL record setting defense is crazy. If you think this defense can even carry the jockstraps of the 85' Bears or 00' Ravens please let me get some of whatever ur smoking/drinking/snorting/injecting so I can be as focked up in the head as you are. Your crazy high brother, and I want some. This D is very good, but not even close to an all-time great. After only 3 games it's too early to tell.

:unsure: FiXoRaTeD

They will continue to get worse. They have to give up all of the tapes the recorded. They can't CHEAT anymore. FOCKING CHEATING FOCKS! : )

Getting Defensive Signals helps the OFFENSE you reetard!!

Speaking as a fellow Pat fan, I have no clue what you're on about Bird. It doesn't matter how many yards you're giving up, what matters is point totals.

1) 14, 14, 7. Those are amazing defensive totals, especially against SD. We did well against the Jets too considering they just put up 31 against Miami.

2) Our offense. I really doubt our D is playing with the same mindset simply because we're able to put up 38 a game. When have we ever been able to do that in the past decade? And 5 redzone trips in 3 games? How is that bad at all? Half of them have been when we've been up by a ton anyways.

I've watched every game too, and I don't think our defense has been bad at all. I'm not sure if the OP meant fantasy-wise or real life-wise, but it looks fine real-life wise. Oh, and we get Harrison back in about 10 days :bandana:

I guess I'm just saying, sure they are playing great, but I see a few holes. I think when Rodney and Richard Seymour come back we'll be that much better. I don't see the nastiness we seem to have with Richard and Rodney in there.

I do understand it sounds crazy with that pt total but I see room for improvement and know improvement is coming with the returning pair of Hall of Famers.

Speaking of the offense, let's not forget we just got David Thomas back and Troy Brown will probably be back after week 6. That's two more solid pairs of hands and team players coming to the offense.