Sign in to follow this  
cyberxace

Commish Question: What would YOU do?

So, I commish a 3 player keeper league in which players drafted in the first 3 rounds are unkeepable.

Here's the most recent trade in my league:

Team A gives up:

Ladanian Tomlinson

Joseph Addai

Team B gives up:

2008 Draft 1st - 4th Round Picks

Essentially, Team A is conceding complete defeat this year in return for EIGHT picks in the first four rounds next year. Team B will have no chance next year (not to mention the rest of us against a team with eight picks in the first four rounds). Both teams have already paid league fees for next year. A player's 'drafted' status follows him from one team to the next.

What would you do? On what grounds? And more importantly, what rules can I put in place to prevent from degrading the integrity of the league this way moving forward? A trade deadline/transaction moratorium before Week 11 obviously doesn't do any good here.

I would do nothing. The rules and league set-up is in place to allow for people to prepare for the next year, even if it's during this year.

If he believes he's out of it and isn't tanking for the sake of being a dickhead, and it doesn't appear to me that's what he's doing - he's laid out a pretty substantial plan to rebound next year.

Thats your fault for not seeing that this could be a problem. I would have to say that its not illeagal. I would put a cap on the amount of draft picks that can be traded or abolish the draft pick trade alltogether. Make it player for player only.

There is nothing you can do if the rules allow it. I know it sucks but you may have to change your rules so this does not happen again.

I say let it go through. As long as Team B understands what he's giving up, he's paying to play in the league so he should be allowed to do what he wants.

Besides, it's not like all of those draft picks are a guarantee to success -- you have to use them wisely.

I say let it go through. As long as Team B understands what he's giving up, he's paying to play in the league so he should be allowed to do what he wants.

Besides, it's not like all of those draft picks are a guarantee to success -- you have to use them wisely.

haha. I got ya b*tches!

Can you explain how a team with LT and Addai is out of contention already? That doesn't make much sense. If the current rules allow the trade, then theres not much you can do but to allow it and change the rules moving forward. The only other thing I can think of is that you call this defacto collusion. Even if it was not their intention, they have actually conspired to try and give team B the championship this year in exchange for team A winning the championship next year. Thats no different than conspiring to build a super team through trades for the next 2 years and split the winnings. They have conspired to build each other a super team in hopes of each winning a championship. If you can make that arguement fly, you may be able to stop it.

Can you explain how a team with LT and Addai is out of contention already? That doesn't make much sense. If the current rules allow the trade, then theres not much you can do but to allow it and change the rules moving forward. The only other thing I can think of is that you call this defacto collusion. Even if it was not their intention, they have actually conspired to try and give team B the championship this year in exchange for team A winning the championship next year. Thats no different than conspiring to build a super team through trades for the next 2 years and split the winnings. They have conspired to build each other a super team in hopes of each winning a championship. If you can make that arguement fly, you may be able to stop it.

He actually has a more than likely chance of making the playoffs and making a decent run. I suppose he thinks that ultimately, he won't win the championship, and would rather give up this year for the chance at dominating the next.

As for all of you saying, 'rules are rules,' BECAUSE the trade is questionable, I have the ability to put it to a league vote. In all likelihood, the trade will be disallowed - because frankly, I don't imagine it sits well with anyone. My emphasis, however, is how to prevent trades like this even coming up in the future.

He actually has a more than likely chance of making the playoffs and making a decent run. I suppose he thinks that ultimately, he won't win the championship, and would rather give up this year for the chance at dominating the next.

As for all of you saying, 'rules are rules,' BECAUSE the trade is questionable, I have the ability to put it to a league vote. In all likelihood, the trade will be disallowed - because frankly, I don't imagine it sits well with anyone. My emphasis, however, is how to prevent trades like this even coming up in the future.

I don't know how a team could think they has no shot at a championship w/ LT and Addai. :pointstosky:

Are Addai or LT eligable to be kept? I'm guessing Addai may be.

Solution: Starting next year, no player(s) for draft pick trades allowed until the season is over. Draft picks can only be traded in the offseason.

I don't know how a team could think they has no shot at a championship w/ LT and Addai. :clap:

Are Addai or LT eligable to be kept? I'm guessing Addai may be.

Solution: Starting next year, no player(s) for draft pick trades allowed until the season is over. Draft picks can only be traded in the offseason.

I can't see a team with those 2 giving up already either, the rest of the team must be some pitiful. :thumbsup:

I like this solution, I would add that during the season, you can trade draft pick for draft pick, and player for player, but no player for draft pick until the offseason.

Both of these owners have put themselves in a pretty good spot. If this is a money league I can see a whole bunch of teams bailing at the end of the year. The whole league is starting the year off severely handicapped.

Good luck

I am going to disagree with the majority in a sense that a discussion should ensue regarding this trade. In a non-keeper league where you don't trade for next year's draft picks, this would be the same as throwing in the towel. We don't allow that. In our league if it is apparent that you have thrown in the towel, the commish will set your lineup with the best players you have available based on their scoring potential to that point in the season (without regards to matchups).

Naturally, you want every team to play as competitively as possible for the entire season. What happens in the last week of the season when you are playing a tough team and the team you are tied with is playing the joker who decimated his squad and can't field a competitive team? You lose, he wins. You are potentially out of the playoffs and he walked in with a bye.

It is ridiculous when team's quit and it is ridiculous to believe that our fantasy league's require 40 page documents presenting the league's by-laws just so we cover all of these scenarios.

I am going to disagree with the majority in a sense that a discussion should ensue regarding this trade. In a non-keeper league where you don't trade for next year's draft picks, this would be the same as throwing in the towel. We don't allow that. In our league if it is apparent that you have thrown in the towel, the commish will set your lineup with the best players you have available based on their scoring potential to that point in the season (without regards to matchups).

Naturally, you want every team to play as competitively as possible for the entire season. What happens in the last week of the season when you are playing a tough team and the team you are tied with is playing the joker who decimated his squad and can't field a competitive team? You lose, he wins. You are potentially out of the playoffs and he walked in with a bye.

It is ridiculous when team's quit and it is ridiculous to believe that our fantasy league's require 40 page documents presenting the league's by-laws just so we cover all of these scenarios.

Exactly!

You should kill both of them. Then their families.

No, kill their families first and make them watch. THEN kill them.

No wait - Rape their families first, then kill them, then kill the owners.

There's no excuse for sandbagging the year. You need to send a clear message.

In my keeper league, draft picks can only be traded prior to or during the draft. What happens if the owner of team B quits your league next year? How do you sell that team to another owner?