Sign in to follow this  
The Moz

Replacing a water heater -- any gurus here

My focking Hot water went out last night. Damn thing was 15 years old anyway and was due to bust but it's kind of a bad time to be without. Anyway My house requires a power vented which of course means instead of paying 300-350 it's gonna cost me 700 - 900. :thumbsdown: .

After paying all that I would really rather not pay some guy 300 bucks to put it in - Does anyone here have any experience putting in water heaters themselves -- Like how difficult , tips , etc. Or just pay the damn 300 bucks rather than risk blowing myself up. Though some people here might actually be rooting that :banana:

gracias

I had one put in last year. Cost me over $1000 :thumbsdown:

If I knew then what I know now I would have gone with a tankless waterheater. They cost more but you save money on heating water and you may quaify for a tax credit :banana:

Paul Harvey recomends this oneLinky

There are others :rolleyes:

I was looking at one of those at Home Depot last night I think it was like 1200 though. But it would save on energy costs so it definitley an option. thanks

I was looking at one of those at Home Depot last night I think it was like 1200 though. But it would save on energy costs so it definitley an option. thanks

Looks like you didn't try my advice. :rolleyes:

Looks like you didn't try my advice. :(

No worries -- I would put the chances of me blowing myself up at around 50/50 when I try to install it. <_<

aren't you the same guy that ran the lawn mower over his foot?

if so, this water heater thing has potential.

Don't F with gas if you have no experience/training. It's just not worth the risk. Years ago, I burned off one eyebrow and a bunch of hair on 1 side of my head focking with my furnace. I was very lucky. A friend of mine who owns a Heating/AC business came over and fixed it and told me if I ever focked with it again and survived, he would kill me.

aren't you the same guy that ran the lawn mower over his foot?

if so, this water heater thing has potential.

Sadly yes. <_<

Don't F with gas if you have no experience/training. It's just not worth the risk. Years ago, I burned off one eyebrow and a bunch of hair on 1 side of my head focking with my furnace. I was very lucky. A friend of mine who owns a Heating/AC business came over and fixed it and told me if I ever focked with it again and survived, he would kill me.

Dose this explain your balding problem? :(

<_<

There goes the fantasy football prize money. :mad:

:banana:

I know how to replace gas water heaters. Also, there is a trade off with energy saved vs. wasted water with tankless water heaters. It takes time for the water to heat up on demand, thus, running water down the drain, waiting for hot water.

Speaking of which: Anybody see that Mythbusters where the water heater blew right through the roof of the house? Too cool. Didn't get to see the build-up / premise, so if anybody knows and would like to elaborate, that'd be super-neato. :rolleyes:

Speaking of which: Anybody see that Mythbusters where the water heater blew right through the roof of the house? Too cool. Didn't get to see the build-up / premise, so if anybody knows and would like to elaborate, that'd be super-neato. :pointstosky:

It all began with some dipsqueeze, self-styled FFB expert trying to save $100 on the install of a gas water heater........................

I managed to survive - well at least untill the carbon monoxide poisons me I guess.

Took a while. The gas pipe was easy and matched up perfect. It was getting the solder right on the damn water pipes as I had to make a lot of changes there that took forever. Other than the copper water pipes having issues it wasn't that bad. :overhead:

Speaking of which: Anybody see that Mythbusters where the water heater blew right through the roof of the house? Too cool. Didn't get to see the build-up / premise, so if anybody knows and would like to elaborate, that'd be super-neato. :overhead:

Saw that episode...the only other cool part about it was when they tried with the 30 gal heater. It exploded outwards and completely..something they didn't expect at all to say the least.

Advice to The Moz...any money you save trying to install that thing yourself could very well end up going to the ER doctors. Not to mention a roofing contractor. House contractor. Mortuary. You get the picture.

Tankless is the best way to go.

It depends on which resource is more important to an individual. It takes time to deliver hot water to a fixture with a tankless water heater. A person needs to run the water for some time (depending on the distance) to receive on demand hot water. So, if you live in a drought state like... let's say Arizona, it is not practical. A 50 gallon gas water heater is just fine nowadays. The insulation of the tanks are better than in the past, thus saving on gas usage from heating. Also, in an emergency if you need water, there are 50 gallons of potable water already stored for use.

Years ago, I burned off one eyebrow and a bunch of hair on 1 side of my head focking with my furnace. .

Next time go for the whole head :pointstosky:

Siimple:

1--Shut off HTH (hot water heater).

2--shut gas off on valve outside meter.

3--get hose and drain the water.

4--get pipe wrench/channel locks and disconnect incoming/outgoing lines on top and the gas line.

**there should be unions above where lines connect to heater...disconnect them.

**If not, get saw and cut off old pvc/copper....whatever you have.

5--throw old piece of chit out the door.

6--put new one in place.

7--you'll prolly need to buy new lines for your incoming/outgoing water. Should be able to get lines/unions/pipe dope/cleaner for under $30. Gas line should be fine. be sure to put pipe dope on gas line threads.

8--Absolutley make sure you have a union on both sides of water lines..

9--once put back together, turn water on. Look for leaks going into tank and at your unions. If it's not leaking, great. If it is, unscrew unions and tighten them up. May have to use more pipe dope?!

10. After an hour or so check for leaks again. If it's still not leaking, you're gold. Turn gas back on. Either light the HWH and run like hell or just have your wife light it.

**To check for gas leak: Spray Windex around where you connected pipe to HWH...if you see bubbles, you've got a leak!

It's not that hard to do. The worst part is making sure everything you screw back in has pipe dope/teflon on all threads and you screw them in tight enough so that they don't leak.

I have faith in you.....you can do it!!

Siimple:

1--Shut off HTH (hot water heater).

2--shut gas off on valve outside meter.

3--get hose and drain the water.

4--get pipe wrench/channel locks and disconnect incoming/outgoing lines on top and the gas line.

**there should be unions above where lines connect to heater...disconnect them.

**If not, get saw and cut off old pvc/copper....whatever you have.

5--throw old piece of chit out the door.

6--put new one in place.

7--you'll prolly need to buy new lines for your incoming/outgoing water. Should be able to get lines/unions/pipe dope/cleaner for under $30. Gas line should be fine. be sure to put pipe dope on gas line threads.

8--Absolutley make sure you have a union on both sides of water lines..

9--once put back together, turn water on. Look for leaks going into tank and at your unions. If it's not leaking, great. If it is, unscrew unions and tighten them up. May have to use more pipe dope?!

10. After an hour or so check for leaks again. If it's still not leaking, you're gold. Turn gas back on. Either light the HWH and run like hell or just have your wife light it.

It's not that hard to do. The worst part is making sure everything you screw back in has pipe dope/teflon on all threads and you screw them in tight enough so that they don't leak.

I have faith in you.....you can do it!!

where were you yesterday :mad:

I did it alreasy gas was easy - on the water pipes I had to do a little welding / solder -- few trial and error's as it took a few tried to get it where it wouldn't leak any. after that it was pretty much good to go. :thumbsup: