Sign in to follow this  
CornKobb

Portis.....are you starting him?

Ok ok I am on a limb of whether or not to start portis. I have stuck with him through thick and thin this year and got ok/decent/good stats out of him. The 2.5 yds a carry last week had me concerned though. Here are some ups/downs for him this week.

Positives....1. He is getting nearly all of the carries...ex 25 last week so you would think he has alot of opportunities to at least get some yds/ maybe a td. 2. Rumor has it G Randy Thomas is coming back to help solidify a very shaky oline 3. FB Sellers should also be back... i read he practiced.4. Chicago Def is in the bottom 7 vs the run. Look at what derrick ward did last week.

Negatives..... Man, portis longest run vs bills last week was 6yds, He has had a week from hell along with the rest of his team...ex short week etc. Very few long runs this year. Is he healthy going into thurs game? I am not sure if he has fully practiced this week. Report from footballdocs said he dinged his ankle. (not sure if that is true or not)

Any inside info from homers etc appreciated..... I havent heard much about whether he is a good play or not...???

I'm choosing b/t starting him and marion barber. i hate the unbelievably short week, with the funeral. Meanwhile, Barber will have a 10 day layoff and is playing the hapless lions.

I'm choosing b/t starting him and marion barber. i hate the unbelievably short week, with the funeral. Meanwhile, Barber will have a 10 day layoff and is playing the hapless lions.

thats tough......hang in there...

I'm sticking with him. My only other option is Dayne, so it's that hard of a choice.

The games Portis has stunk are the games the Skins fall behind & abondon the run (which moron Gibbs is apt to do if down 7pts, even early). The Bears don't have the type of team to get a lead on the road vs Washington. Portis will run all 4 quarters.

I'm sticking with him. My only other option is Dayne, so it's that hard of a choice.

The games Portis has stunk are the games the Skins fall behind & abondon the run (which moron Gibbs is apt to do if down 7pts, even early). The Bears don't have the type of team to get a lead on the road vs Washington. Portis will run all 4 quarters.

This makes sense to me. Game should be close, meaning skins should be able to stick w/ the run. Bears, uncharistically, have a pattern of being bad against the run this yr. The O line gave Portis no room to run against the bills, but dont underestimate the importance of having Sellers back as the lead blocker. Thomas back on the O line cant hurt either.

Campbell, since they have given him more freedom in the offense, has forced passes and contributed to many turnovers. This all leads me to think Portis will have every opportunity to be successful this wk. Start him.

:rolleyes:

Dehaven is right, he gets a lot of help back this week. If Sellers is back and best run blocker Thomas is back then he will be better than past weeks. I read where with Sellers he was averaging 4.5 yds/carry and without he is avering 2.6 (for memory so don't quote me). I have similar conundrum, between him and McGahee. On fence after way McGahee ran Monday.

i agree with all the positives: sellers and possibly thomas back, a lower scoring game /commitment to run, and chicago's run D.

but has anyone heard about his injury status? i didn't see the game last week, and don't know the severity of the injury. any word on whether he practiced today?

short week worries me. what are you alternatives?

brenda jacobs, fred jackson, and kevin jones.......i am starting ryan grant.

thoughts.....???

was portis hurt or not this last week? did he fully practice today?

Skins injury report was to come out today, cant find it. Checked blogs and they mentioned current injuries, but nothing specific to Portis. I dont think its an issue, but I'll follow up tomorrow, unless someone weighs in before that.

Last three games in a different perspective...

last week) 25 rushing 2 receiving

week before) 20 rushing 5 receiving

week before that) 12 rushing 2 receiving

ATTEMPTS ONLY.

I will take these numbers any FF Sunday. He has been my #2 behind Addai all year long and you could not ask for anything else. 20+ touches the last two weeks yea baby :rolleyes: . I don't know if the yards will come this weekend, but I'm excited about the chances/touches/main rb guy :overhead: . Cross those finger boys, it's playoff time :dunno:

Randy Thomas back on the line is huge for the Skins. I would look for better production everywhere on offense. I still can't see starting Portis over Barber, Grant or Addai, but I would say 75 and a TD should be easy.

debating about either him or jamal lewis vs the jets, also starting westbrook and Sjax

From rotoworld:

Clinton Portis is listed as probable for Thursday night's game against the Bears due to a shoulder injury.

The Redskins conducted walkthroughs on Tuesday and Wednesday and it's believed that Portis was a participant in both. He's virtually certain to start.

I have Portis ....but K. Jones as my #3 :thumbsup:

I hate his inconsistancy, I started KJ the week he had 190 yards....

I'm going to start him basically because I have no other option, the Bears are a nice matchup. Cross them fingers.

—Redskins running back Clinton Portis has had some monster performances in his three games against the Bears.

In 2005, he rushed 21 times for 121 yards in a 9-7 opening-day Redskins victory. A year earlier he picked up 171 yards on 36 attempts to lead a 13-10 win, and in 2003, as a Bronco, he rushed for 165 yards on 14 carries, but the Bears won 19-10.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bears/home.htm

—Redskins running back Clinton Portis has had some monster performances in his three games against the Bears.

In 2005, he rushed 21 times for 121 yards in a 9-7 opening-day Redskins victory. A year earlier he picked up 171 yards on 36 attempts to lead a 13-10 win, and in 2003, as a Bronco, he rushed for 165 yards on 14 carries, but the Bears won 19-10.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bears/home.htm

I realize people and sites are going to mention this, but how relevant is it? 2004 and 2005 seem like a lifetime ago for Portis. And 2003 in Denver isn't worth mentioning.

Who knows? If all things are equal in deciding between two players, maybe you use such information to tip you in one direction. While many people don't want too much information, I'll take whatever I can get.

I realize people and sites are going to mention this, but how relevant is it? 2004 and 2005 seem like a lifetime ago for Portis. And 2003 in Denver isn't worth mentioning.
Extremely relevant. Players know what teams they own. The only thing that matters is uniform.

Extremely relevant. Players know what teams they own. The only thing that matters is uniform.

This may be true.

My fears outweigh the positives though. Portis' health, where his mind and heart may be at the moment, and the extremely short week because of the trip to Florida.

Starting Barber over him.....with confidence? Not really. :wacko:

Starting Barber over him.....with confidence? Not really. :unsure:
I think it depends upon what you need this week. If I needed 12-15 pts guaranteed I go Barber. If I am playing a superior team in the playoffs and I need a homerun, I go Portis. The Cowboys have too many weapons to allow Barber that 25 pt week. Portis could go for 5 pts or 30.

Barber obviously has a much better team around him but the one thing that scares me is he splits.....he will go 10-12min at a time without touching the field.......

portis usually at least has LOTS of touches....allthough alot have only gone for 2yds lately...... :unsure:

Barber obviously has a much better team around him but the one thing that scares me is he splits.....he will go 10-12min at a time without touching the field.......

portis usually at least has LOTS of touches....allthough alot have only gone for 2yds lately...... :overhead:

Agreed, although Barber has a decided advantage in the touches category over Julius Jones.

Tail of the tape b/t the 2 for the last 6 weeks...

Portis - Rushing 134/514, Receiving 18/126, Td's 2

Barber - Rushing 97/413, Receiving 16/74, Td's 3

In a TD heavy league, all things being considered, I believe Barber is the play here.

Agreed, although Barber has a decided advantage in the touches category over Julius Jones.

Tail of the tape b/t the 2 for the last 6 weeks...

Portis - Rushing 134/514, Receiving 18/126, Td's 2

Barber - Rushing 97/413, Receiving 16/74, Td's 3

In a TD heavy league, all things being considered, I believe Barber is the play here.

good info.....i personally would rather have a back that is the primary option.....even though he is on a very unspectacular team. wash should be better with sellers and thomas right guard back...

barber though has the ability to blow up........and if dallas is ever behind.....barber is a catch machine

just screamed like a little girl after the portis 45 yd catch......... <_<

I felt a little giddy myself after I saw it on nfl gamecenter live on THE COMPUTER! Can't focking believe I can't watch the game :wave:

just screamed again when they said he has a stomach injury?????? wtf

I was wondering if something happened when Betts had the next series

I was wondering if something happened when Betts had the next series

Portis said he ate some bad fried shrimp his mom gave him in the parking lot before the game.....ughhhhh... He said he hadnt eaten anything all day.

Post game interview on NFL network....... thanks clinton for a nice game ppr league. :pointstosky: