Sign in to follow this  
wiffleball

2008 Free Agent WR

Randy Moss, UFA, New England Patriots

With the help of quarterback Tom Brady, Moss has absolutely dominated opposing defenses this season. He looks to be better than the Randy Moss of old, and his 91 receptions for 1,393 yards bears it out. He has also racked up 21 touchdowns, just one shy of Jerry Rice’s record with one game left to play. If the Patriots can go all the way and Moss continues to be productive without stirring up controversy—it seems likely—the team will shell out the money to keep him in town, and Moss could easily decide that he likes New England’s winning ways. If Moss were to leave New England, he’d be in for a huge pay day.

Bernard Berrian, UFA, Chicago Bears

Berrian was able to put together a decent season in ’06 and even with considerable quarterback issues in Chicago, he has been able to tally 920 yards and four touchdowns in ’07. At 27 years of age, Berrian is still young and may have several strong seasons left in him. His speed make him a deep threat, and as he has developed his game, he’s become a more known weapon in the game. More than a few teams would line up for his services if he doesn’t sign an extension with the Bears.

Patrick Crayton, UFA, Dallas Cowboys

With 516 receiving yards and four touchdowns in 2006, Patrick Crayton showed the Cowboys that they may have found Terry Glenn’s eventual replacement. Crayton had solid numbers for the role he was given as the third option, but he showed signs of being a potential number two. With Glenn out for 2007 because of injury, Crayton was asked to do even more, and he has come through with 689 receiving yards and seven touchdowns. The Cowboys will likely look to lock him up for the future, but if he does hit the market, his speed and hands will certainly receive some attention.

Bryant Johnson, UFA, Arizona Cardinals

Johnson flew under the radar once again this season, but those in the know consider him fairly talented. He’s overshadowed by star receivers Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin, but Johnson runs great routes, has good hands, and at 6’3” his size makes him an appealing option. He’s caught at least 35 passes in each of his four seasons, including 49 receptions in 2004, and has a touchdown scored in each season, with four coming in ’06. Although he has had a drop-off in production this season, Johnson will likely find a bigger role in another offense in ’08.

Drew Carter, UFA, Carolina Panthers

Carter hasn’t racked up yards by any means, but he has tended to be a decent passing weapon in the red zone. Carter has good size and runs fairly good routes. He’s out-produced receiver Keary Colbert, and he’s played like the number two behind Steve Smith. With Dwayne Jarrett waiting in the wings, Carter could be on the out, or he could be retained as a third option at best. A number two spot is something Carter will probably desire at this point in his career, and a team looking to compliment a speedy number one will consider him. Chances are that he remains no more than third receiver.

Andre' Davis UFA Houston Texans

The Virginia Tech product hasn’t had the chance to play a whole lot during his career until an early season injury to Andre Johnson opened the door to more playing time. Davis responded with several solid performances, including a 117-yard effort with a score in week four against Atlanta. He currently has 563 receiving yards and three touchdowns on the season, and although Johnson’s return will cut into his opportunities greatly, Davis has still been able to impress as a return man on special teams. His 734 kickoff return yards with a score will encourage the Texans to keep Davis in Houston.

Justin Gage UFA Tennessee Titans

Gage seems to be growing into one of quarterback Vince Young’s more reliable targets in recent weeks. He broke through with seven receptions for 90 yards—and a highlight grab in the endzone— during week ten against a good Jacksonville defensive unit. Gage followed that up with six receptions for 66 yards in a Monday Night game against Denver. Gage has good size and athleticism, and while he has struggled to hold onto the ball at all times, so has the entire team. He’s amassed 646 receiving yards and two scores thus far. If he can overcome the bad habits the receiving group has developed, he could be in for a decent contract extension.

Devery Henderson, UFA, New Orleans Saints

Henderson has struggled to build on the strong 2006 season, as have most of the Saints’ players. He posted 745 receiving yards and five touchdowns in ’06, and has followed it up with 409 yards and three scores with one game left. Henderson is a fast, athletic receiver, but his size will keep him from being a top-level option. Still, Henderson can serve as a strong third receiver and a decent second spot option. He should still receive attention from a handful of teams

Other Free Agent Wide Receiers

Antonio Chatman UFA Cincinnati Bengals

Keary Colbert UFA Carolina Panthers

Terrance Copper UFA New Orleans Saints

Malcom Floyd RFA San Diego Chargers

Doug Gabriel UFA Oakland Raiders

D.J. Hackett UFA Seattle Seahawks

Az-Zahir Hakim UFA Miami Dolphins

Taylor Jacobs UFA Washington Redskins

Jerome Mathis RFA Houston Texans

Samie Parker UFA Kansas City Chiefs

David Patten UFA New Orleans Saints

Marcus Robinson UFA Detroit Lions

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2008/nfl/freeagentsWR.html

Andre Johnson may be the most important re-signing that the Texans need to accomplish. When he and Schaub are on the field, good things happen. Would love to see Berrian go somewhere where his skills could be better showcased. With Glenn going away, Crayton's extablished himself as a nice #2, #3 WR in Dal.

to me the WR class of FA and Rooks isn't as exciting as the RB. I think Hackett is actually one of the names to watch, he's gonna be good if he stays or end up in the right situation. Obviously Moss is the marquis name. I'm not sold on Crayton, however, I think they signed him to a new contract already if I recall. Bryant Johnson and Berrian are the only other ones that even pique my interest.

to me the WR class of FA and Rooks isn't as exciting as the RB. I think Hackett is actually one of the names to watch, he's gonna be good if he stays or end up in the right situation. Obviously Moss is the marquis name. I'm not sold on Crayton, however, I think they signed him to a new contract already if I recall. Bryant Johnson and Berrian are the only other ones that even pique my interest.

Crayton in big D for next 3 years...i think. I know they resigned him but do not remeber teh length of contract.

agreed with the rest of the list. not impressive.

Would love to see Berrian go somewhere where his skills could be better showcased. With Glenn going away, Crayton's extablished himself as a nice #2, #3 WR in Dal.

Somewhere that he can drop more balls?

Bernard Berrian would be a nice fit for the Packers. As good as the WR's performed this year, none of them had incredible speed. They really haven't had a legitimate deep threat since Walker left. IMO, Robinson's done, bone on bone knee injury--he'll never recover his speed and his hands aren't good enough to be a possession reciever. Drop KRob and sign Berrian.

BTW-wiffle, I saw this list the other day. As a Packer fan, first place I looked were OL, DB's and LB's---that's where I think TT looks in free agency this year.

Bernard Berrian would be a nice fit for the Packers. As good as the WR's performed this year, none of them had incredible speed. They really haven't had a legitimate deep threat since Walker left. IMO, Robinson's done, bone on bone knee injury--he'll never recover his speed and his hands aren't good enough to be a possession reciever. Drop KRob and sign Berrian.

BTW-wiffle, I saw this list the other day. As a Packer fan, first place I looked were OL, DB's and LB's---that's where I think TT looks in free agency this year.

Yeah, think you're right. :lol:

I'd say Jennings hits the Deep ball pretty often. :doublethumbsup:

They have a lot of money to spend, but they need to spend it elsewhere.

somebody needs to tell the author of this article that DJ Hackett is much better than a lot of those guys he featured.

My wish list for the Eagles who need more weapons at WR:

1) Berrian

2) Hackett

i think Berrian could do some damage playing with McNabb. Curtis could move to the slot where he belongs. Berrian makes amazing catches and could be dangerous if he plays with a consistent QB

I'd say Jennings hits the Deep ball pretty often. :music_guitarred:

They have a lot of money to spend, but they need to spend it elsewhere.

Jennings big plays are more due to his YAC then his breakaway speed. Don't get me wrong, I have no complaints about him, but his big gains are often on his ability to generate after he catches those crosses and slants then him running the 30 yard post. Berrian wouldn't cost a ton, has more height and speed then Driver/Jennings. I was just picking from this list---Like I said before, I think TT looks at OL, DB's and LB's way before WR.

Jennings big plays are more due to his YAC then his breakaway speed. Don't get me wrong, I have no complaints about him, but his big gains are often on his ability to generate after he catches those crosses and slants then him running the 30 yard post. Berrian wouldn't cost a ton, has more height and speed then Driver/Jennings. I was just picking from this list---Like I said before, I think TT looks at OL, DB's and LB's way before WR.

Berrian will be expensive cause he's the #1 WR in this class (assuming Pats give Moss an extension). Berrian will likely be overpaid, but he may provide dividends

If I was a Packer fan, I wouldn't even be considering a WR. That is their deepest position. Ruvell Martin even played well as their #4/5 guy

Packers?? Last thing they need is another WR.

Berrian to the Iggles seems like a nice fit.. and why would anyone say the Packers need WR help!! - they got to the NFC conference game WITHOUT a decent running game... so the WRs are fine...

have NO IDEA where this thought process came from - but its baffling.

Skins may go after Bryant Johnson -

Berrian to the Iggles seems like a nice fit.. and why would anyone say the Packers need WR help!! - they got to the NFC conference game WITHOUT a decent running game...

I'd say since about week 8, the Pack had a very decent running game.

Berrian to the Iggles seems like a nice fit.. and why would anyone say the Packers need WR help!! - they got to the NFC conference game WITHOUT a decent running game... so the WRs are fine...

have NO IDEA where this thought process came from - but its baffling.

Skins may go after Bryant Johnson -

Thought process comes from watching 16 Packer games. The ranked up a ton of passing yards---but that was due to the fact they led the NFL in YAC! If you watched them game in and game out you would see the team/offense would benefit from a legitimate deep threat---a guy who can run the post and deep in's. Jones, Robinson and Martin are fine... :lol:

Again, this was a response to the original post and this list. I've stated a twice now that won't be the direction they go in FA---for those that missed it the first time.

Andre Johnson may be the most important re-signing that the Texans need to accomplish.

Andre "Davis", not "Johnson" is a FA. He's a little less important, but he did have a semi-solid season.