Sign in to follow this  
Da Bomb

Off topic - Westbrook or SJax, ppr dynasty

Big dynasty salary cap league I'm in, got some trades swirling around, and I'm trying to figure out who I'd rather have -- Westy or SJax. League is full PPR, plus 1 point per 15 return yards (tiny help for Westy). Two years ago SJax was a monster with 417 points, #2 in the league behind Tomlinson, while Westy was #5 with 335. Last year Westy was the #1 RB in the league with 377 while SJax obviously fell some.

There are some pretty big salary cap implications to the deal as well. SJax is signed for 3 years including this one for about 45k, which is roughly 30% of my cap (a mammoth amount). Westbrook is signed for only this year for about 39k. That 6k is the equivalent of getting a decent top 25 WR or an imprvoement at QB or something, but wouldn't be the only reason to do the deal obviously. But I run the risk of losing Westy for nothing the end of this year.... or if I want to look at it another way, I free myself from SJax's massive contract to put the money elsewhere at WR (gold in full PPR league) and build on my other RBs (DMac, Turner). Sorry all of that is very confusing, and not worth more getting into.

Bottom line, who would you rather have in a PPR league -- this year? And how about for the next say 3 years?

Westy - not quite the ceiling. good but not great TDs. awesome receptions. pretty sure thing. injury history but only misses a game or two each year. very consistent points because of rec.

SJax - could be the #1 player in the league. could get hurt again and play for a bum body on a bum team and only give me half a season of a good but not great RB. has had one huge year in three years of starting so far. receptions awesome that year, and only slightly above average the rest.

im torn here on which i prefer. right now ive got sjax, and i wouldnt be dealing straight up. on the one hand, i feel like i could be kicking myself for years if i trade sjax and last year was an aberration and hes a true superstud. on the other hand, if hes one of those guys who had a career year and then plays banged up ever after, and i passed up the surest thing not named ladainian, i will be watching a championship go by the way side.

enough from me. lets hear it -- sjax or westy?

In a PPR league, I like Westbrook over SJax. Although SJax has the ability to become a workhorse RB (ala LT2 that you refer to), I worry about the direction that St. Louis is taking....I can see them becoming the next KC over the next few years. SJax's situation is eerily similar to Larry Johnson, and I'm worried that he might experience the same "burnout" factor.

Westbrook will be the focal point of the Philly offense, at least for the next few years, and until they develop or acquire some sort of receiving threat, he is their #1 RB and #1 WR. That's an awesome combo in the PPR league.

So, to me, Westbrook is more of a sure thing in a PPR league (similar to Tiki Barber), while SJax has the potential to be #1 for a relatively brief period of time. I'd take the value pick in a dynatsy league, but if you're more into taking risks (i.e. SJax becomes a superstud and then you trade him away for massive value), I wouldn't fault you for choosing SJax.

To me, your salary cap situation is the nail in the coffin for Westbrook, but you know how you and I differ in strategy.

Big dynasty salary cap league I'm in, got some trades swirling around, and I'm trying to figure out who I'd rather have -- Westy or SJax. League is full PPR, plus 1 point per 15 return yards (tiny help for Westy). Two years ago SJax was a monster with 417 points, #2 in the league behind Tomlinson, while Westy was #5 with 335. Last year Westy was the #1 RB in the league with 377 while SJax obviously fell some.

There are some pretty big salary cap implications to the deal as well. SJax is signed for 3 years including this one for about 45k, which is roughly 30% of my cap (a mammoth amount). Westbrook is signed for only this year for about 39k. That 6k is the equivalent of getting a decent top 25 WR or an imprvoement at QB or something, but wouldn't be the only reason to do the deal obviously. But I run the risk of losing Westy for nothing the end of this year.... or if I want to look at it another way, I free myself from SJax's massive contract to put the money elsewhere at WR (gold in full PPR league) and build on my other RBs (DMac, Turner). Sorry all of that is very confusing, and not worth more getting into.

Bottom line, who would you rather have in a PPR league -- this year? And how about for the next say 3 years?

Westy - not quite the ceiling. good but not great TDs. awesome receptions. pretty sure thing. injury history but only misses a game or two each year. very consistent points because of rec.

SJax - could be the #1 player in the league. could get hurt again and play for a bum body on a bum team and only give me half a season of a good but not great RB. has had one huge year in three years of starting so far. receptions awesome that year, and only slightly above average the rest.

im torn here on which i prefer. right now ive got sjax, and i wouldnt be dealing straight up. on the one hand, i feel like i could be kicking myself for years if i trade sjax and last year was an aberration and hes a true superstud. on the other hand, if hes one of those guys who had a career year and then plays banged up ever after, and i passed up the surest thing not named ladainian, i will be watching a championship go by the way side.

enough from me. lets hear it -- sjax or westy?

This season I would rather have Westy + top 25 WR BUT... your answer to this question will probably decide my overall answer.... Does your cap grow each season, if so by how much? I'm trying to determine if SJax' contract will continue to be 30% next season and the year after. Because long term I'd rather lock down SJax, but if he's costing you 30% every season, you'll have to pass.

In a PPR league, I like Westbrook over SJax. Although SJax has the ability to become a workhorse RB (ala LT2 that you refer to), I worry about the direction that St. Louis is taking....I can see them becoming the next KC over the next few years. SJax's situation is eerily similar to Larry Johnson, and I'm worried that he might experience the same "burnout" factor.

Westbrook will be the focal point of the Philly offense, at least for the next few years, and until they develop or acquire some sort of receiving threat, he is their #1 RB and #1 WR. That's an awesome combo in the PPR league.

So, to me, Westbrook is more of a sure thing in a PPR league (similar to Tiki Barber), while SJax has the potential to be #1 for a relatively brief period of time. I'd take the value pick in a dynatsy league, but if you're more into taking risks (i.e. SJax becomes a superstud and then you trade him away for massive value), I wouldn't fault you for choosing SJax.

To me, your salary cap situation is the nail in the coffin for Westbrook, but you know how you and I differ in strategy.

As mentioned above........my concerns are with the Rams. I give the advantage to Westbrook.

On a similar note, I'm in a dynasty league with Orgazmo (salary cap I think, I haven't read all the rules yet :pointstosky: with 1ppr for RBs). This is the start up season and I have the 4th pick overall. AD and LT2 have already been frafted. I assume SJax will go next. If so, I'm trying to decide between Westy and Addai. So the feedback you get on Westy will help me out.

jscott, theres absolutely no way id take addai over westbrook. just look at the numbers. addai is nice but its not even comprable at all. i dont care about the youth factor, i wouldnt even consider it.

our cap does not grow each year, stupidly enough. it is set at 125k period, a hard cap. actually i had thought it was 150 when i wrote earlier. sjax makes 44700 which means he would make up over 35% of my cap each year for the next three years. westy makes 39700 this year, which is about 31% of the cap. long term, it would depend on what decision i make at the end of the year. he is an RFA which means i can make him available for bidding with the right to match. this could end up saving me money, or he could skyrocket to 45-50k, who knows? i can also franchise him, and that would cost me a 7% increase, about 2800 bucks (over half of what i save this year). or else i could just cut my losses and use the money on the multitude of other free agents, but now ive blatantly given away a top 5 dynasty RB for nothing. im not sure any of those options sound great.

all this cap stuff drives me crazy honestly. i would never join another cap league. the thing i hate the most about sjax is his huge cap number. when one guy eats that much of your money, no matter how awesome he is, it really kills the wheeler and dealer in you. and we all know, thats what i do best in fantasy leagues. right now im pushed to the limit on cap, so i have almost no trade options. the guys that end up being worth the most are guys like wes welker who score a ton but only cost 2800. i traded a bunch for him this offseason, not even cuz i think he'll be great again (#3 last year for WRs in our scoring) but just cuz hes a cheap option.

if youre interested, heres my roster as things stand:

Roethlisberger, Ben PIT QB - 6 $3,050 2.0 years

Jackson, Steven STL RB - 5 $44,700 3.5 years

McFadden, Darren OAK RB ® - 5 $18,000 TBD

Pittman, Michael DEN RB - 10 $300 TBD

Turner, Michael ATL RB - 7 $7,700 5.0 years

Cotchery, Jerricho NYJ WR - 5 $6,400 2.0 years

Johnson, Andre HOU WR - 8 $16,700 3.0 years

Mason, Derrick BAL WR - 10 $3,100 TBD

Urrutia, Mario CIN WR ® - 8 $300 TBD

Welker, Wes NEP WR - 4 $2,850 1.5 years

Gates, Antonio SDC TE - 9 $14,450 3.0 years

Heap, Todd BAL TE - 10 $4,600 2.5 years

Titans, Tennessee TEN Def - 6 $300 TBD

Practice squad - Chris Redman (ATL), Brian Brohm (GB), Chad Henne (MIA), Josh McCown (MIA), Steve Smith (NYG)

we start qb, rb, wr, wr, te and then 2 rb/wr/te flex spots, plus k and d. with our scoring, RBs are actually pretty minimized. its not worth it paying top dollar for one unless its a super stud. anyone after the top 15 or 20 really arent even worth starting cuz of so many WRs avialable.

anyway, i digress. no idea whether i like sjax or westy more. i can probably get at least a 1st round pick with westy, but i already have three for next year so... lol. the thing that sucks the most is he has TO and im certain i could get that into the deal somehow, but hes another 20k, so theres no way id ever find the $$. blah, never join a cap league, seriously.

Bomb - if I'm reading this right. If you can unload SJax and his salary, then you can have Westbrook and use the extra cash to get a top 25 WR? To me the extra part actually affects my decision

well it depends on if i can spend my money wisely. i would have an extra 5k. that probably means enough room to go get someone like cotchery, ward, mason, engram, one of those type of boring PPR guys.

although im already 9 deep on the 6 rb/wr/te starter spots so the extra cash doesnt really help me much this year.

anyway... *shrug*

well it depends on if i can spend my money wisely. i would have an extra 5k. that probably means enough room to go get someone like cotchery, ward, mason, engram, one of those type of boring PPR guys.

although im already 9 deep on the 6 rb/wr/te starter spots so the extra cash doesnt really help me much this year.

anyway... *shrug*

Maybe I missed it, but do you have a trade offer involving SJax and Westy on the table?

hes offered me westy and a 2nd rounder for sjax. im quite confident i can get a 1st if i push, and his team is pretty much westy/TO and nothing else so it should be a pretty good 1st.

of course "pretty good 1sts" cost a ton of money to sign as well. once again do not, i repeat do NOT join a salary cap league lol.

ETA: just remembered i have pittman too, and for only 300 bucks. looks like im 10 deep now. :ninja:

Yes this sounds kind of confusing. But everything you're telling me says to do the deal and get Westy. They are both equal risks due to injury for themselves and to their QBs (affecting offense) but I agree with Jet that St. Louis is in decline and getting too old, it's a pity SJax isn't in a kind of offense that Faulk was in. I think Westbrook could outperform SJax, cost you less money, and gain you a draft pick - all signs point to yes on that deal. I don't know salary cap leagues at all, but I think I understand your situation.

Bomb, what are the chances that someone bids up Westy next season as a RFA? Say you make the deal and Westy has another season similar to 07. I would think there'd be a good chance another owner would bid a higher price for Westy for 2 reasons. First to try and aquire him from you, second to drive your cap number up by making you match if you want to retain him. Could you end up paying more for Westy in 09 than SJax. Just another thing to consider.

Bomb, what are the chances that someone bids up Westy next season as a RFA? Say you make the deal and Westy has another season similar to 07. I would think there'd be a good chance another owner would bid a higher price for Westy for 2 reasons. First to try and aquire him from you, second to drive your cap number up by making you match if you want to retain him. Could you end up paying more for Westy in 09 than SJax. Just another thing to consider.

yes its quite likely. i know its shocking to you, but im quite the antagonist in this league it seems, so theres a few people that bid on anyone with my name on it... just because. for instance, i had anthony gonzalez as an RFA, and he got bid up to 10k.

theres all sorts of options. i could cut my losses completely. i can trade westy's RFA rights to someone else. i can franchise him. i can just pony up and match. all sorts of options that i hate thinking about. i just want a roster of guys, normal dynasty style.

bottom line, i wouldnt be doing this for the money. it saves me 5k this year, but id probably be paying about the same by next year anyhow. ugh, i have stopped thinking about this completely lol.

yes its quite likely. i know its shocking to you, but im quite the antagonist in this league it seems, so theres a few people that bid on anyone with my name on it... just because. for instance, i had anthony gonzalez as an RFA, and he got bid up to 10k.

theres all sorts of options. i could cut my losses completely. i can trade westy's RFA rights to someone else. i can franchise him. i can just pony up and match. all sorts of options that i hate thinking about. i just want a roster of guys, normal dynasty style.

bottom line, i wouldnt be doing this for the money. it saves me 5k this year, but id probably be paying about the same by next year anyhow. ugh, i have stopped thinking about this completely lol.

Then I would stick with SJax for the longer (3yr) investment. Sure you could cut bait after this season with Westy if he gets bid up, but unless you can get AD or LT2 with the money saved you'll be out a RB stud.