Sign in to follow this  
Kilroy

Plaxico Burress is unhappy

Unhappy with deal, Burress refuses to practice

Plaxico Burress isn't going to practice with the New York Giants until the Super Bowl champions give him a new contract.

Burress reported to the Giants' mandatory minicamp on Wednesday but refused to work out because he was not happy with the way contract negotiations are progressing between the team and agent Drew Rosenhaus.

Coach Tom Coughlin had indicated after practice that Burress did not work out because of a knee injury, but the receiver said he was healthy.

"Me and my agent are trying to get a deal done so I can stay a New York Giant for a long time," Burress said. "I, personally, don't like the way they're going and I am not happy about it. I am choosing not to participate."

"This is only my ninth season," Burress said. "I'm in the prime years of my career. I know I can play stellar football for at least another four or five more years."

"Last year was one of the most frustrating years I've been through," Burress said. "I sit back and look at myself, if I can go out and do the things I did, basically on one leg, and a half a knee in the Super Bowl, what type of performance am I going to give when I'm 100 percent?"

Burress did not think that the Giants could fine him because he reported to the minicamp. He refused to say whether he would report to training camp in July if his contract issue had not been settled, but the smile seemed to indicate that he would hold out.

"We have been trying to handle it with class," Burress said. "We have been trying to do it the right way. Sometimes you just got stand up for what's right."

Sit Plax. I recall last season, when a browbeaten Coughlin allowed you to nurse your injury and you continued to show up for game days. Showed up big. Until last season, I thought you were just Keyshawn. You've delivered. Sit Plax.

Raiders signings--- causing problems with wides if an injured walker is worth 55 mill. whats plax worth?

pay him

I hate owning this guy on my dynasty team, but he did produce last year. But he signed a contract, and until last season I don't think he did anything to outplay it. Have another huge year, and maybe the team will look to renegotiate. And it's not like he set any records last year or anything, just did what he was paid to do.

Plax was great on my team last year and I would love to keep him for this year BUT, if he gets paid he might not be the same guy and if he gets mad then he might not be the same guy. UGH. I guess I am leaning towards not paying him so he has to play hard to get huge money next year.

Raiders signings--- causing problems with wides if an injured walker is worth 55 mill. whats plax worth?

pay him

Not 55 million. Just because Walker was over paid it doesn't mean the rest of the league should be over paid. The sad thing is that Plax is worth more that Walker.

But he signed a contract, and until last season I don't think he did anything to outplay it.

He's averaged over 1000 yards a season and just an asshair under 10 TDs the last three years (all in NY).

He's definitely earned the money and him and Eli are outstanding together. I think if an NFL team can just cut anybody in the middle of a contract because they are underperforming than a guy like Plaxico should be able to renogotiate for the money that he is worth. And to the above poster, I am almost 100% sure that Rosenhaus is his agent.

when he signed his old deal---6yr, $25million---he was probably worth that amount. since then, he has elevated his game and become a true high-end wr1, with recent great catches (SB) and monster games (NFC chmp). helping deliver the jewelry is tough to ignore on the resume.

other wide receivers getting $$$$---whether they deserve it or not---include deion branch (6yr/$39mill), ocho nada (6yr/$35mill), steve smith (6yr/$45mill), reggie wayne (6yr/$39mill) and fitzgerald (4yr/$40mill). moss (3yr/$27mill) and TO (4yr/$34mill) just did deals that get them ~$9mill/yr.

i would say he needs to be compensated in the reggie wayne area: both have been to and been instrumental in SB wins, are about the same age, and are integral cogs in their offenses as bonafide wr1.

[hell, they both catch passes from a manning as well]

Between this, Osi Humanurine's new contract request, Strahan's retirement, and Shockey's antics, sounds like the Giants are in for a big letdown this year.

They may be, but if that's the price we pay for last year, it was worth it. :doublethumbsup:

They may be, but if that's the price we pay for last year, it was worth it. :lol:

Hey, I don't disagree with that one bit. I wouldn't mind if the Eagles never won a game ever again if it meant winning one SB. :doublethumbsup:

As much as i loathe the Giants, their run last year was magical. Got stuck watching their game against Dallas last year in a bar near Times Square. B)

Hey, I don't disagree with that one bit. I wouldn't mind if the Eagles never won a game ever again if it meant winning one SB. :doublethumbsup:

As much as i loathe the Giants, their run last year was magical. Got stuck watching their game against Dallas last year in a bar near Times Square. B)

I live a few towns away from Foxboro. Had a Superbowl party...everyone there (but me and my wife..who isn't really a football fan anyhow) were PATS fans. It was sweet. :lol:

I live a few towns away from Foxboro. Had a Superbowl party...everyone there (but me and my wife..who isn't really a football fan anyhow) were PATS fans. It was sweet. :unsure:

Good for you guys. Patriot fans had it coming to them last year. They sure got a heavy dose of let down (something us Eagle fans get on an annual basis, afraid to say).

Can't wait for the season to start. I have a pretty good feeling about the Birds this year. JJ's got alot of speed on defense this year, much like he had back in 2000 and 2001.

It sucks that NFC East teams are gonna take chunks out of each other this year, and that Dallas is the team to beat.

Here's to that crap-azz team busting at the seams this year. :pointstosky:

when he signed his old deal---6yr, $25million---he was probably worth that amount. since then, he has elevated his game and become a true high-end wr1, with recent great catches (SB) and monster games (NFC chmp). helping deliver the jewelry is tough to ignore on the resume.

other wide receivers getting $$$$---whether they deserve it or not---include deion branch (6yr/$39mill), ocho nada (6yr/$35mill), steve smith (6yr/$45mill), reggie wayne (6yr/$39mill) and fitzgerald (4yr/$40mill). moss (3yr/$27mill) and TO (4yr/$34mill) just did deals that get them ~$9mill/yr.

i would say he needs to be compensated in the reggie wayne area: both have been to and been instrumental in SB wins, are about the same age, and are integral cogs in their offenses as bonafide wr1.

[hell, they both catch passes from manning as well]

<_<

fitzgerald (4yr/$40mill).

Interestingly, Fitzgerald with his 2 Pro-Bowls had received escalators on his contract for $16M and $17M the next two years. That's (obviously) $33M for two seasons. Now, he could have been cut and received nothing mind you, I understand that. But, since the Cards really need him, the 4 year $40M seems like a bargain. In addition, one more Pro-Bowl next season and he would have hit another escalator ensuring he'd get cut! So, yes, the Cards have to deal with the probability of only having Fitz for one more season max.

Yes, the deal makes Boldin's contract lopsided and a huge bargain ($3.1M 3 more years). But all in all, the Cards really didn't have much choice.

But my question is, I know Plax wants more money... but I never see a raise like these guys!!! I think we're all getting out of whack here.......

--Scorp

Uh, PBur refusing to practice is like Phillybear refusing to diet.

Dude's a prima donna that feels that as long as he knows his routes, all he has to do is show up and play for 30 minutes a week.

If he's really as hurt as he whined about last year, I wouldn't sign him to new money either. He's obviously damaged goods if he couldn't practice at all last year. Why do we think he'll be any better with one more year on his 31 year old, constantly dinged up wheels??

Uh, PBur refusing to practice is like Phillybear refusing to diet.

Dude's a prima donna that feels that as long as he knows his routes, all he has to do is show up and play for 30 minutes a week.

If he's really as hurt as he whined about last year, I wouldn't sign him to new money either. He's obviously damaged goods if he couldn't practice at all last year. Why do we think he'll be any better with one more year on his 31 year old, constantly dinged up wheels??

Good point. Besides his age, you also have to factor in his height and build. A guy, who's played a majority of his football career on turf (college and pro) will have more aches and pains than the typical receiver.

The Giants may just be riding him out until he officially breaks down. Don't blame them one bit for not heavily investing in something like that.