Sign in to follow this  
rdrs4life

Converting to Auction League this year

Well it's finally getting close enough to start getting really excited about next season.

This season will be our first as an Auction League, and we are still in the process of voting on rules and writing the bylaws. I'm looking for some help writing the bylaws, would any of you who are in auction leagues post your league's rules in full, so I can use them as a guide? I'll just be writing a first draft so our league as a whole will be able to look them over and voice opinions on any changes we feel might be needed.

And obv i'll be bidding $199 out of my $200 on McFadden. :dunno:

Well it's finally getting close enough to start getting really excited about next season.

This season will be our first as an Auction League, and we are still in the process of voting on rules and writing the bylaws. I'm looking for some help writing the bylaws, would any of you who are in auction leagues post your league's rules in full, so I can use them as a guide? I'll just be writing a first draft so our league as a whole will be able to look them over and voice opinions on any changes we feel might be needed.

And obv i'll be bidding $199 out of my $200 on McFadden. :)

What's your email and I'll send you the rules for a salary-cap, dynasty IDP I've written. Still haven't gotten around to actually starting the league, but you are free to copy rules whatever you want.

What's your email and I'll send you the rules for a salary-cap, dynasty IDP I've written. Still haven't gotten around to actually starting the league, but you are free to copy rules whatever you want.

masoninthehouse@yahoo.com

thanks.

masoninthehouse@yahoo.com

thanks.

Ok, I sent it. It's still a bit of a work in progress, despite it's length. I figure the more expansive the rules are, the easier it is to run the league. More is laid out before hand, to there is less to argue about later on.

You are going to love the auction!! :headbanger: We made the switch last year and we are never going back. It was a smooth transition and the draft took about the same amount of time. A few suggestions:

1. An auctioneer is a must (someone not in the league). They should be consistent with their "Going once...twice....Sold" routine. The only common complaint I heard was that sometimes the auctioneer went from "twice" to "sold" too quickly.

2. We had a laptop hooked up to a projector that had a spreadsheet with everyone's picks and dollar amounts remaining. I think this helped move the draft along. If you do this, find someone who is not in the league to fill it out.

3. One other small issue we had was owners asking what the bid was at while the auctioneer was doing the "once, twice, sold" routine. There will be a new rule this year that once she says "twice", she will not stop to say what the bid is at. At this point, if you don't know, too bad.

There are other suggestions which I can't think of right now. You will love it.

You are going to love the auction!! :dunno: We made the switch last year and we are never going back. It was a smooth transition and the draft took about the same amount of time. A few suggestions:

1. An auctioneer is a must (someone not in the league). They should be consistent with their "Going once...twice....Sold" routine. The only common complaint I heard was that sometimes the auctioneer went from "twice" to "sold" too quickly.

2. We had a laptop hooked up to a projector that had a spreadsheet with everyone's picks and dollar amounts remaining. I think this helped move the draft along. If you do this, find someone who is not in the league to fill it out.

3. One other small issue we had was owners asking what the bid was at while the auctioneer was doing the "once, twice, sold" routine. There will be a new rule this year that once she says "twice", she will not stop to say what the bid is at. At this point, if you don't know, too bad.

There are other suggestions which I can't think of right now. You will love it.

For our league we actually don't have an auctioneer. We have a poker style auction where the bid goes around the table. We do this since we have about 5 guys not able to make the draft and I don't trust the internet to do a live draft over the internet. If someone's internet goes down, it sucks.

For starters, you have to have at least $1 for each remaining roster spot. So, in actuality, you cannot bid $199 on McFadden, unless you only have 2 roster spots.

You will never wanna do a snake draft again.

It is best if you can find an auctioneer. I actually do ours, unless I get involved in the bidding. Like Killersquids said....you have to be consistent with the calling. We always say "the player's name for $XX, going once, the player's name for $XX going twice......The player's name SOLD" Because guys WILL wait until the last second.

We use index cards in front of each owner, and track how much cap money each owner has remaining. That way everyone can see everyone's money. We also use CBS sportsline for our commish site. If you sign up early enough, they give you a free draft board. I recommend it getting a draft board no matter which site you guys use. It allows everyone to see which positions everyone has left to fill.

Read as many auction articles as you can. I also recommend fantasyauctioneer dot com. It's a mock auction site. This will give you a realistic idea of how much a player's value is.

Good luck! Hope this helped.

We auctioned for ten years and moved to a serpentine draft last year. We are returning to the auction format. It's so much better!!! You have to use a draft board everyone can see and have someone referee the madness. What we do instead of the, "going once, going twice, sold" to figure out who gets the player, we use a cup. When the player is announced and the bidding starts, you either up the bid or lay down your cup. Once you lay the cup down, your out of the bidding. The last cup standing gets the player. We draft 16 players, so we get 160.00 to use during the draft. You have to draft 16 players, so you have to have at least a dollar for your last few players if you are running out of money. As far as rules, it's pretty much the same as serpentine. How many players you have on each roster, how many at each posistion,etc., stays the same. Good luck!

We auctioned for ten years and moved to a serpentine draft last year. We are returning to the auction format. It's so much better!!! You have to use a draft board everyone can see and have someone referee the madness. What we do instead of the, "going once, going twice, sold" to figure out who gets the player, we use a cup. When the player is announced and the bidding starts, you either up the bid or lay down your cup. Once you lay the cup down, your out of the bidding. The last cup standing gets the player. We draft 16 players, so we get 160.00 to use during the draft. You have to draft 16 players, so you have to have at least a dollar for your last few players if you are running out of money. As far as rules, it's pretty much the same as serpentine. How many players you have on each roster, how many at each posistion,etc., stays the same. Good luck!

We have a redraft league and decided to start an entirely new second league with an auction instead. Not a single complaint. Everybody has enjoyed it thoroughly and we now have people on our waiting list to join.

It is seriously a TON of fun!

I forgot to mention that there is a draft order. If you have the first pick in the draft, you nominate whomever you like. You throw out a bid, and the person seated to your left (second pick) makes the next bid, or turns their cup over, and goes on till the player has been won. When the player is selected, the person who has the second pick throws out a name and a bid, and so on.

Auctioning is a lot like poker. I have stuck other teams with players I didn't want and made them pay to high for those players. There are always a few homers on draft day that pay to much for their favorite players. Recognize them and you will do good on draft day. But you also get stuck paying to much for a player you never intended to have on your roster, if your not careful.

For our league we actually don't have an auctioneer. We have a poker style auction where the bid goes around the table. We do this since we have about 5 guys not able to make the draft and I don't trust the internet to do a live draft over the internet. If someone's internet goes down, it sucks.

I'd be interested to hear how this works. I don't know exactly what you mean by poker-style auction.

I'd be interested to hear how this works. I don't know exactly what you mean by poker-style auction.

Imagine, you're all sitting around a poker table. The first owner "on the button" nominated a player and places the first bid. The first person to his left then can bid or Pass (folding in poker terms). Once he passes (folds), he cannot bid anymore. This goes around the table over and over until only one owner has the highest bid.

The next next player "on the button" nominates a player and makes the first bid.

This goes on and on until everybody has their team set.

That's the gist of it.

Auction draft sounds like alot of fun but also seems like it would take along time to finish.

It can take a little longer than a snake. It all depends on the auctioneer. If he drags it out....more time. If he moves the bids quickly......less time.

It really is a way better system to put together a team. Plus, there is a lot more strategy involved. As a rule, don't nominate players that you want. My plan is to nominate guys around the same value, whom I do not want. Make others spend money on players I have no intention of buying.

We have a couple owners wanting to switch our league over to this, I'm not sure about it. It seems like it will open up a whole new can of worms and loopholes that we will have to figure out and we just finally got our league all setup the way we like it as far as rules are concerned. Everyone tells me though once they go auction, they don't want to go back.

We have a couple owners wanting to switch our league over to this, I'm not sure about it. It seems like it will open up a whole new can of worms and loopholes that we will have to figure out and we just finally got our league all setup the way we like it as far as rules are concerned. Everyone tells me though once they go auction, they don't want to go back.

What type of rules issues are you concerned about? Basically, it's just a different way to fill out a roster. There a plenty of sites that detail how to set up the auction, and what to look for, obstacles wise.

It is true, once you go auction you won't go back.

Auction draft sounds like alot of fun but also seems like it would take along time to finish.

you'd be pleasantly surprised.

if you are currently drafting a serpentine with everyone in 1 location, depending on league size and breaks, you prob take, what, 3-5hrs?

i have 1 league (serpentine) with half members (6) in 1 location, others via internet (chatroom/IM) and cell, and it takes 4-5hrs.

my auction league with everyone in 1 place takes the same 3.5-5hrs------->the entertainment value is the big benefit. you wont get the same camaraderie any other way!

you'd be pleasantly surprised.

if you are currently drafting a serpentine with everyone in 1 location, depending on league size and breaks, you prob take, what, 3-5hrs?

i have 1 league (serpentine) with half members (6) in 1 location, others via internet (chatroom/IM) and cell, and it takes 4-5hrs.

my auction league with everyone in 1 place takes the same 3.5-5hrs------->the entertainment value is the big benefit. you wont get the same camaraderie any other way!

Good points. I've found that the auctions that I've been in havent really taken any longer than the snake drafts.

And the time passes so much more enjoyably.

Good points. I've found that the auctions that I've been in havent really taken any longer than the snake drafts.

And the time passes so much more enjoyably.

just watch the "enjoyment", as in any draft!

[dont let the wife of the commissioner blend your drinks, i learned that the hard way a few yrs ago and nominated charles rogers :thumbsup: :) ]

Another auction plus, that a lot forget about, is that every owner can be involved on every nomination. You don't have to wait for your turn to come back around before you become involved.

It's fun to bust stones, too. "Just 1 more $?, you can afford that!" "You're gonna let him steal that guy from you?!"

I have noticed too, that you don't get the "has anyone taken Randy Moss yet? stuff, over and over.

I can't speak highly enough of Auctions.

Ever since we made the switch, it's been a huge joy for us.

It won't take that long either. Our auction ran about 4-5 hours. That includes not stop talking, drinking and jokes at each other for "wasting money".