Sign in to follow this  
jay z

Ryan Grant vs. Darren McFadden

if you were asking me at this exact moment (which you are) i'd look at the team situations. GB looks shaky at the moment, their ability to pass has a big impact on Grant. Im not sure what we are going to see from Rodgers, but in the short term, Grant is going to get more carries than McFadden.

Oakland looks like it may be on the ascent. Good line, improving defense, they've shown the ability for a back to produce (LOLmont Jordan). McFadden has a much higher ceiling, but is much riskier.

tough call, safe choice is Grant.

right now i'd take Grant for a keeper league, mainly because he's somewhat of a proven NFL commodity.

i'm not sure DMAC has what it will takes to be 25 carry a game RB in the NFL (time will tell). he's not gonna have those "drive a truck through em" holes in the NFL that he saw in college. and he seemed to go down pretty easy with contact.

Grant has what it takes to be an every down back in the NFL.

You guys are morons who think McFadden. Grant is a beast!

I will add one wrinkle...

I can only keep 3 players in my 14-team Keeper League.

My keeper worthy players are:

Larry Johnson

MJD

Reggie Wayne

Ryan Grant

I've got the second pick in the supplementary draft, and the person drafting first is taking Andre Johnson. So I am thinking I can trade Grant for some draft picks and then take McFadden, who is the RB with the most upside left. But that's only if McFadden is not too risky compared to Grant.

I'm leaning towards keeping the other 3 players and picking up Grant with the second pick. I don't want to get too cute... especially since I have a great nucleus for a 14-person league and I feel I can win it this year.

Keep MJD, Wayne, McFadden - trade Larry Johnson and Ryan Grant for a Drew Brees type QB and a solid WR that will produce now. With the 2nd pick you can add depth to the RB position if you think that will be available. Johnson is risky to keep since his team is awful and he is nearing the end of production, and Grant i'm not sold on now that Favre is gone, but you can easily sell high on him. If you could walk away with something like Brees, Jones Drew, McFadden, someone like Jamal Lewis (2nd pick??), Reggie Wayne and say a Wes Welker/Plaxico Burress/Marques Colston type receiver - you'd be stacked for a 14 team league, both for producing now and long-term.

In a keeper I would wait until Grant signs a nice 4-5 year contract before I would keep him.

I will add one wrinkle...

I can only keep 3 players in my 14-team Keeper League.

My keeper worthy players are:

Larry Johnson

MJD

Reggie Wayne

Ryan Grant

I've got the second pick in the supplementary draft, and the person drafting first is taking Andre Johnson. So I am thinking I can trade Grant for some draft picks and then take McFadden, who is the RB with the most upside left. But that's only if McFadden is not too risky compared to Grant.

I'm leaning towards keeping the other 3 players and picking up Grant with the second pick. I don't want to get too cute... especially since I have a great nucleus for a 14-person league and I feel I can win it this year.

If you've been reading much of this site this summer you'd be wise to consider that McFadden isn't that highly touted by some. What is the rest of your roster? You must have other options we're not privy to!!! I would take Forte or Stewart (among others) before McFadden.

I'd trade Grant for the picks certainly since I'm not sold on him or his situation but without the rest of your roster to consider we can't assess all options...

The rest of my roster is moot because I can only keep three players off my roster. The only keeper-worthy players are the 4 I listed.

All of the incoming rookies are available... so dynasty speaking, you'd take Stewart or Forte (or others) before McFadden? Is their situation that much better? I'm curious who else you have in mind.

As far as non-rookies that will be available...there's really not much there. Grant will definitely be the best available at the 2-spot unless I trade him for picks.

Last year peope would have taken McGahee ahead of Peterson too..

If you play for a title you wanna take risks with great reward an here thats McFadden. If McFadden came out last year he likely would have been taken ahead of Peterson ( not saying he is beter - speaks more of Petersons injury history ) Now Peterson is going 1-2 and McGahee is going mid late second. Myabe McFadden becomes a Bush but maybe he does alot better.

I don't see how this is even a question. One is the definite starter, surrounded by allot of talent, who had a great season last year once he started. The other is going to a crowded backfield (Fargas, Bush), has little talent around him, and himself has nowhere near the talent of Peterson. Most people knew Peterson would be a very good NFL back if he could stay healthy. I haven't seen any scouts compare McFadden to Peterson as equal talents. Yes, Oakland had a good running game last year. But no way does McFadden get enough touches to put up numbers like Grant this year. And in dynasty, keeper or redraft, I'm looking to win this year, not 5 years from now (when I still think Grant would be better than Peterson).

Taking risks might win you a title, but just as often it can leave you in the Toilet Bowl. Taking McFadden over Grant this year would definitely put you in the Toilet Bowl.

I feel McFadden one of the top young running backs to come out of college in the past 15 year's. He has speed, size, vision and cutback ability. He going to be a great running back for a long time in the NFL. I take him in a heartbeat over Grant!