Sign in to follow this  
pimptastic69

In a keeper league

:music_guitarred:

My league is switching to a keeper league this year where you can keep any player on your roster but it will cost you a draft pick two rounds higher than the original draft round of that player.

How do y'all handle FA/WW pickups as keepers?

My original plan was to have FAs be ineligible as keepers, but a few owners are balking at that.

:music_guitarred:

My league is switching to a keeper league this year where you can keep any player on your roster but it will cost you a draft pick two rounds higher than the original draft round of that player.

My original plan was to have FAs be ineligible as keepers, but a few owners are balking at that.

In my 3 player keeper, FA's are ineligible keepers. Only players drafted or acquired by trade are eligible. Players picked up via the FA and traded are also not eligible to be kept.

In my 3 player keeper, FA's are ineligible keepers. Only players drafted or acquired by trade are eligible. Players picked up via the FA and traded are also not eligible to be kept.

very helpful to the original poster!

That's what I thought, but other owners in the league are bitchin that when a player like Ryan Grant comes along, some type of keeper status needs to be applied. Whether it's dumb luck or keen insight, don't you have to account for these FA gems?

We don't allow FA keepers either. We actually are a little tougher, although maybe too tough, in that we only allow you to keep a player that you drafted and kept on your roster the entire year. It's a 14 team auction league with only one keeper (max of 3 years)...so different strokes, fo' different folks.

Just give up the second to last round draft pick.

What do you do if the team wants to keep both Selvin Young and Ryan Grant?

We don't allow FA keepers either. We actually are a little tougher, although maybe too tough, in that we only allow you to keep a player that you drafted and kept on your roster the entire year. It's a 14 team auction league with only one keeper (max of 3 years)...so different strokes, fo' different folks.

Yah, that is slightly different than ours. You can drop a player and pick him back up, then keep him. You can keep a player as long as you originally drafted the player, or traded for a player that was originally drafted by another team.

I'm in a league with an interesting keeper system. Wouldn't really jibe with the system you already have in place, but I'll throw it out there anyway, maybe it will give you an idea (or someone else reading this thread).

We give first-round draft picks a "value" of $8, second-rounders are $7.50, then $7, $6.50, etc., with the last few rounds bottoming out at a minimum of $3. Then, any waiver wire pick-ups from throughout the season are $4. When selecting your keepers for the next season, you get a "salary cap" of $20 and can mix and match however. Everyone normally has three or four keepers (five's possible, but no one's ever had that). We have a one year rule, where each player can only be kept once before being thrown back into the draft.

:dunno:

We have a 20 round draft and any FA pickup (player not originally drafted) costs a 16th round pick. If you have two players with the sam round value (say a FA pickup and your original 16th rounder) you have to give up the next highest pick--16th and 15th.

We have a 20 round draft and any FA pickup (player not originally drafted) costs a 16th round pick. If you have two players with the sam round value (say a FA pickup and your original 16th rounder) you have to give up the next highest pick--16th and 15th.

:rolleyes:

That's good stuff. I may give that a try.

:rolleyes:

That's good stuff. I may give that a try.

It's worked well for us. One guy in the league this year is keeping Ryan Grant for a 16th rounder! Also, think about a longer draft (20 rounds). # 1-your draft lasts longer :lol: :overhead: and # 2 it really puts more emphasis on how well guys prep and draft versus the guy that got lucky on the WW. Plus the extra bench spots serve sorta like a taxi squad for you to draft and hold some younger guys with high upside.

Instead of the traditional worst to first WW, we are going to blind bidding this year to add another layer of stratgey. Good luck! :lol:

No offense, but that takes out all the skill from a keeper league. Not allowing FA's 2 be kept accomplishes two things. First, people have to plan their draft much better. Understand player contracts, NFL depth charts, players making a buzz in camp, etc. etc. Second, any moron can pick up someone from the FA pool. Allowing that gem to be kept at the cost of a 16th rounder gives an unfair advantage to that team. Why should Joe WW Lucky get to keep Ryan Grant for a 16th, when Johhny SmartDraft has to pay an 8th for Michael Turner, because he actually knew his contract situation and likelihood of being traded in the o/s.

Just keep 4-5 players and make it less confusing. If you have 10 teams, the draft starts with 40-50 players off the board and you have a normal draft with whoever is available.

If you still like the draft pick idea, I would say that a FA pickup is worth an 8th round pick. This way it would cost a 6th rounder to keep him.

...or you can just go auction.... :thumbsdown:

Just keep 4-5 players and make it less confusing. If you have 10 teams, the draft starts with 40-50 players off the board and you have a normal draft with whoever is available.

If you still like the draft pick idea, I would say that a FA pickup is worth an 8th round pick. This way it would cost a 6th rounder to keep him.

...or you can just go auction.... :banana:

Auction was the original and preferred plan, but getting all these fockers together for a few hours is like pulling teeth. :banana:

Plan B is the online snake draft for the losers that can't make it.

No offense, but that takes out all the skill from a keeper league. Not allowing FA's 2 be kept accomplishes two things. First, people have to plan their draft much better. Understand player contracts, NFL depth charts, players making a buzz in camp, etc. etc. Second, any moron can pick up someone from the FA pool. Allowing that gem to be kept at the cost of a 16th rounder gives an unfair advantage to that team. Why should Joe WW Lucky get to keep Ryan Grant for a 16th, when Johhny SmartDraft has to pay an 8th for Michael Turner, because he actually knew his contract situation and likelihood of being traded in the o/s.

No offense to you, but since you don't have league specifics your genral argument holds no water for two key reasons:

# 1-If someone had the insight to pick up a FA, in this case Grant, why shouldn't he be rewarded? 11 other owners had the same opportunity and they passed on him. Everyone had a shot at him--I think that is pretty fair! (OBTW Johny smartdraft took Michael Turner in the 11th and is keeping him for a 9th rounder--pretty fair!!)

#2- The draft is 20 rounds. The WW isn't exactly stacked with "keepable players". In fact, maybe 7 players (keepers have not been submitted yet) will be kept that were undrafted. Of those 7, only 2 were taken on the WW, the other 5 were picked up after the WW ran.

With a 20 round draft and a 3 player keeper max, you still have to plan out your draft and take into account all the items you mentioned. And finally, a limited WW will still yield several players who come out of nowhere but we have instituted a Blind Bid system to add a further layer of strategy, so the "moron" you talk about may not be such a moron after all now because you can't just pick up a player without it costing you something. If an owner has the forsight and budget to get a gem off the WW, I say reward them for it.

In our leauge, waiver wire pick ups are graded at a third round pick if you want to keep it. That is a fair way to go. Getting Ryan Grant or Marques Colston, both respective WW gems, is grossly unfair at the price of a late round pick that would be spent on a defense or kicker.

Our rational is that if the player is attractive enough to be kept in the first place, then it is worth a high pick. Drafting involves skill, but picking dudes up off the ww is blind luck a lot of the times since many people go after the same player on any given week.

In our leauge, waiver wire pick ups are graded at a third round pick if you want to keep it. That is a fair way to go. Getting Ryan Grant or Marques Colston, both respective WW gems, is grossly unfair at the price of a late round pick that would be spent on a defense or kicker.

Our rational is that if the player is attractive enough to be kept in the first place, then it is worth a high pick. Drafting involves skill, but picking dudes up off the ww is blind luck a lot of the times since many people go after the same player on any given week.

Totally agree.

But don't tell FlaHawker that

So your saying if you picked up Colston in the 16 round a guy you were taking a flyer on and never expecting to start) verse picking him up on the ww his status should be diferent as a keeper. ww is as much luck/insight as late round deep sleepers. The keeper should be two rounds ahead of the pick made. A ww pick up should be equal to a last round pick.

redraft or full dynasty

everything else causes problems

i firmly believe this after years of experimentation

We have an auction/salary cap league and you can only sign players you have drafted through the auction to contracts after the season. FA pickups go back into the pool.

This guy is dead on. It is complete BS that someone get to keep a player that he was lucky enough to be in positiion to pick up the best FA for the week.

You should never be allowed to keep someone who was not drafted. Period.

In our league, if a player is every a FA in that season...you can't keep him. Some drafts Anthony Gonzalez in the 18th...after 3 weeks he has done nothing and needs some roster space so he drops him...week 10 someone picks him up because he's doing decent...the new Gonzalez owner cannot keep him because, even though he was drafted, he was acquired via the FA pool.

This guy is dead on. It is complete BS that someone get to keep a player that he was lucky enough to be in positiion to pick up the best FA for the week.

In our league, if a player is every a FA in that season...you can't keep him. Some drafts Anthony Gonzalez in the 18th...after 3 weeks he has done nothing and needs some roster space so he drops him...week 10 someone picks him up because he's doing decent...the new Gonzalez owner cannot keep him because, even though he was drafted, he was acquired via the FA pool.

There is an auction process in place when signing free agents. So, it's not like you can just pick up players all wily nily and then decide to keep them. You're still getting rewarded for the late round steal. I've set it up so that a FA keeper costs a 10th round pick in a 16 round draft.

Totally agree.

But don't tell FlaHawker that

Well, you guys can agree all you like. That's why all leagues are different. I mean should we all play by your rules? :thumbsdown:

A 20 round draft will see 240 players drafted and since we don't allow players drafted in the first 3 rounds to be kept, keeping FAs is defintely a good option. Using my league as an example, there may be 7 players kept that were not originally drafted--only 7!. So what does that tell me? It tells me that the WW is basically bare and you better do a damn good job drafting becasue there won't be a lot of help on the WW. Let's use Ryan Grant as an example beacause he is the biggest name player to be kept off the WW. He came out of nowhere last year, which means basically NO ONE saw him becoming the RB he became. The guy who picked him up off the WW, one week before he hit big, should be rewarded for having the forsight to do so, especially since everyone in the league had the same opportunity. You guys sound like a bunch whiners crying because someone has a perceived advantage. Let's face it. Life isn't fair. Fantasy football isn't fair. I mean is it fair that someone picks first and someone picks 12th based on some luck of the draw system of picking draft spots?

But like I said, that is why all leagues are diffefernt. It works for us.

So let me get this. Gonzalez was good enough to draft, yet now because at some point he hit the WW, he isn;t allowed to be a keeper? Our league handles that situation by stating ok you picked up Gonzalez off the WW but his original draft status follows him if you want to keep him.

Hate to break this to you, but luck is a HUGE part of FF.

First, no players are eligible to be kept in the first two round. For the other players, they lose two round each year they are kept.

After the season, using our scoring system, all players are ranked where they finished. So if a free agent was the 34th best player in the league last year, then you lose your draft pick in the 4th round. If he was the 54th top scorer, then you lose 6th. Also free agent can only be kept for a maximum of two year. The only fair way I have found to handle free agent keepers.

What do you do if the team wants to keep both Selvin Young and Ryan Grant?

well... i would hope you would win each time you played them

Our league went to a modified keeper. We can keep 2 guys we draft after the 6th round and we can slot then in the 7th and 8th round of the following draft. Waiver wires pick ups are allowed to be keepers. The idea was to have several guys to keep but not have the premium players taken out of the draft. Several owners really fight the waiver wire pick ups because a teams success (and future success) could hinge on who was watching tv the moment a injury happens (thank you Larry Johnson). So this year the keepers examples are Tom Brady, Larry Johnson, MJD, Roy Williams, S Holmes, Drew Brees, Brandon Jacobs, Michael Turner, Big Ben, TJH, ect.

The other idea of this setup was to promote more trades. (Trades were very rare in our league). When you have more eligible keeper guys then you can keep. It makes it easier to trade.

So let me get this. Gonzalez was good enough to draft, yet now because at some point he hit the WW, he isn;t allowed to be a keeper? Our league handles that situation by stating ok you picked up Gonzalez off the WW but his original draft status follows him if you want to keep him.

I'm glad to see that you can read and understand what I'm saying.

With a 20 man roster, anyone who gets dropped isn't worth the roster spot at the time. I don't see why someone else should benefit (by keeping him the next season) from getting to pick him up at a later date when he becomes viable. No one wanted him and everyone would laugh at you if you tried to trade him saying "He might be a good keeper".

If it works for you...great. We just don't see why people should be rewarded the following season for picking up someone they didn't deem worthy of a draft pick or a trade. That's all I'm saying.

I commish a league that uses a very similar keeper system, we're going on our 3rd year using it. r

We have a 16 round draft and use the minus two rule for up to 3 keepers, with a bit of a twist. To keep a player drafted between rounds 3-9 subtract two rounds to get his keeper cost. Any player drafted in rounds 10-16 or picked up off the WW are treated as 10th round draft picks for keeper purposes, thus making their keeper cost an 8th rounder. Players dropped and picked up or traded retain their original draft value. This way the max any person can own one player is 5 seasons.

I think playing the WW takes just as much skill as drafting "sleepers". Meaning a little foresight and a little luck. Does anybody remember all the pickups of that Cleveland WR a few years ago after the first two games? You have to differentiate between fluke performances like that and genuine talent and/or opportunity like Grant or Graham.

Our draft will be very interesting this year. Colston and Turner are gone for 6th rounders already. MB3 and Gore are off the board for third rounders. AD was 3rd rounder last year so his owner is keeping him the cost of the 10th overall pick and Brady is gone at 12th overall. There are some others too, my point is that the first few rounds of the draft will be far less predictable and difficult than a normal draft would.

I'm glad to see that you can read and understand what I'm saying.

With a 20 man roster, anyone who gets dropped isn't worth the roster spot at the time. I don't see why someone else should benefit (by keeping him the next season) from getting to pick him up at a later date when he becomes viable. No one wanted him and everyone would laugh at you if you tried to trade him saying "He might be a good keeper".

If it works for you...great. We just don't see why people should be rewarded the following season for picking up someone they didn't deem worthy of a draft pick or a trade. That's all I'm saying.

I disagree with you that a player who gets dropped isn't worth a roster spot. Sometimes you get in a situation where you have roster worthy players but you have to drop someone. I drafted Michael Turner last year basically for this year. When I had injury issues and I needed to use the WW, I couldn't drop him because I knew I would lose him for this year, so I kept him and had to drop other roster worthy players. It's a choice I made. If another owner grabs a player I dropped, good for him. He now inherits that player and his keeper value.

How do you know which players owners feel are roster worthy and/or trade worthy? I like player X in the draft but someone beats me to the punch. Player X is later cut for whatever reason. I pick him up so I shouldn't be rewarded because I didn't draft him (although I wanted to) and then I didn't make a trade for him? That makes no sense but if it works for your league rock on!

we changed our league to a 1 player keeper league 2 years ago. It has to be a player you drafted. Someone put in a proposal this year to be voted on to up the keepers to 2 and to allow one of them to be FA pickup, but the league owners voted it down.

Who is making the rules in your league? One person or the entire league? Do changes get put up for a vote? If a majority of the league votes for or against it, then go with the majority. We started with a basic charter and over the years it has gradually changed with proposals submitted each year to be voted on prior to the start of the new year.

Another thing to consider is how your Waiver Wire is done. Is it just a first-com, first-get free for all? Do you allow multiple FA pickups each week or just one? Do you do the order by worst to first? In some situations it would be unfair to let FAs be keepers as it's not skill selecting the FA, but the person with the most time, the first one to get to their computer, the one with the worst record....

We are allowed to keep any 6 players for any amount of time and draft 18 rounds. But we are only allowed 4 waiver picks. That can only be made on weeks 4 and 8 at the supplemental drafts. There is no rule on how to use them. You can use all 4 at once or split them up 2 and 2. What ever makes you happy.

I disagree with you that a player who gets dropped isn't worth a roster spot. Sometimes you get in a situation where you have roster worthy players but you have to drop someone. I drafted Michael Turner last year basically for this year. When I had injury issues and I needed to use the WW, I couldn't drop him because I knew I would lose him for this year, so I kept him and had to drop other roster worthy players. It's a choice I made. If another owner grabs a player I dropped, good for him. He now inherits that player and his keeper value.

How do you know which players owners feel are roster worthy and/or trade worthy? I like player X in the draft but someone beats me to the punch. Player X is later cut for whatever reason. I pick him up so I shouldn't be rewarded because I didn't draft him (although I wanted to) and then I didn't make a trade for him? That makes no sense but if it works for your league rock on!

I thought your Turner example was spot on. You didn't drop him because of his potential keeper value, you may could have traded him for something but people won't give much for him because they know your situation. People think "he's got to drop him so I'll just wait and give him nothing for him in a trade and when he's on the WW drop a junk player to pick him up." They still get him as a keeper no matter what. If they couldn't keep WW pick ups then Turner has way more value.

Your second example, it sucks you didn't get to draft him but you have oppurtunity to trade for him. If someone is dropping him they have lost hope for that player and you can always get him on the cheap.

Whatever works for you...great. I know there are alot of different logics and that's fine by me. Just giving the posters my leagues perspective.

I thought your Turner example was spot on. You didn't drop him because of his potential keeper value, you may could have traded him for something but people won't give much for him because they know your situation. People think "he's got to drop him so I'll just wait and give him nothing for him in a trade and when he's on the WW drop a junk player to pick him up." They still get him as a keeper no matter what. If they couldn't keep WW pick ups then Turner has way more value.

Your second example, it sucks you didn't get to draft him but you have oppurtunity to trade for him. If someone is dropping him they have lost hope for that player and you can always get him on the cheap.

Whatever works for you...great. I know there are alot of different logics and that's fine by me. Just giving the posters my leagues perspective.

sounds good. :first: