Sign in to follow this  
The Moz

Slaton

Who starts in Houston. Slaton has actually looked pretty damn good when given a shot to play. He looks bigger than advertised and runs hard in the middle unlike how people said he was just a 3dback no able to runs with any power. So far IMO he has looked way better than any other Houston back against 1st team d's. Green is likely cut and Brown gets injured on a strong breeze - I think the battle is between Slaton and Taylor and whoever wins will get a starrting Gig in a run offense that can be decent.

Slaton has to be the only true day 1 breakout canidate left on waviers.

Hightower and Thomas are there but Slaton has start to finish potential.

I am definately jumping on this bandwagon. I don't think Green will get cut anymore since he just restructured his contract. But going back to the days of Dominik Davis the Houston RB has always been intriguing. I just hope I don't draft this guy in too many leagues and he falls flat on his face. I took him in a keeper league the other day before Rice and Mendenhall because I think he can play the quickest

I am definately jumping on this bandwagon. I don't think Green will get cut anymore since he just restructured his contract. But going back to the days of Dominik Davis the Houston RB has always been intriguing. I just hope I don't draft this guy in too many leagues and he falls flat on his face. I took him in a keeper league the other day before Rice and Mendenhall because I think he can play the quickest

I think either Browm or Green gets cut.. I do think If Slaton shines again tonight he starts for Houston - Kube would be dumbassed not to.

Green is likely cut and Brown gets injured on a strong breeze - I think the battle is between Slaton and Taylor and whoever wins will get a starrting Gig in a run offense that can be decent.

Green is likely to not get cut. The sports talk stations in Houston were talking this morning about Green redoing his contract to take less money this year. Brown is the one that will be cut. Green has been participating in practice for about a week now. I would look at a 3 member RBBC until Green gets hurt again.

For all you Slaton slappies, Ahman Green is entrenched as the starter barring injury, as he has just restructured his deal, Chris Brown will likely be cut on Saturday

For all you Slaton slappies, Ahman Green is entrenched as the starter barring injury, as he has just restructured his deal, Chris Brown will likely be cut on Saturday

So Kube will start a 31-32 YO RB who clearly isn;'t close to what he once was - instead of starting a Rokkie that is hungry and looking damn good ( ala Dom Davis ) every chance he has really had?? I can see a RBBC of Green and Slaton but Slaton pulling away later.

Green will be the starter, period. And that means absolutely nothing. Slaton will get as much playing time as he earns, and then he'll get some more when Ahman Green is injured each week. Slaton will be the top producer at RB for the Texans this year, if he turns out to be able to do anything in the regular season. Even when Green was healthy for the first couple games last year, he didn't make it out of the first half.

But yeah, Chris Brown is long gone. Taylor will be the #3 back.

Entrenched? You're not serious, are you? Very few players in the NFL are entrenched. And Kubiak learned at the feet of Mike Shanahan. The opening day starter means nothing. Talent rises to the top, and good coaches get them on the field.

Slaton is the guy you want in Houston. Ahman Green, I'm afraid, is washed up.

moz -

i'll be the first to admit i have not watched much texans action this preseason. but as to your question about kube starting a wash up vs a bright young star obviously there are a mountain of things other than running ability that factor in. things such as ability in pass blocking as well ass knowledge of the play book, knowing when to alter your assignment due to blitz, etc, etc.

i'm not saying slaton fails in any of these categories, but these are things that it often takes a long while to pick up. i guess it turns out that jerious norwood never could figure these things out - but that didn't stop tons of owners from lamenting the idiocy of the coaches for not putting him in the game!! :thumbsup:

moz -

i'll be the first to admit i have not watched much texans action this preseason. but as to your question about kube starting a wash up vs a bright young star obviously there are a mountain of things other than running ability that factor in. things such as ability in pass blocking as well ass knowledge of the play book, knowing when to alter your assignment due to blitz, etc, etc.

i'm not saying slaton fails in any of these categories, but these are things that it often takes a long while to pick up. i guess it turns out that jerious norwood never could figure these things out - but that didn't stop tons of owners from lamenting the idiocy of the coaches for not putting him in the game!! :thumbsup:

That's actually unfair. The owners' lament came from week after week listening to how he was the most talented player ont he roster, and that the coaching staff was going to get him on the field more often. Obviously, he was doing something right. I still go with the theory that Warrick Dunn had very damaging pictures of the head coach(es).

moz -

Slaton has done very well in pass pro to this point in the preseason. We'll see how it goes when the defense starts throwing in some exotic blitz schemes, but he's done far better than most rookies in that regard. He has also done exceedingly well adhering to the run assignments. He hasn't had a tendency to want to bump it outside all the time, which is what you typically see from a speed back transitioning from the NCAA. He follows his blockers, makes one cut, and hits it hard. I've been impressed. That said, it's preseason, and he's on the smallish side at 200 lbs., and he doesn't have tree-trunk legs like some other small backs people point to. So we'll see. If Slaton can hold up to the load, he'll do well.

Entrenched...that's a good one. He was going to be cut if he didn't accept a lower salary -- so obviously the Texans are totally sold on him. :thumbsup:

For all of those rushing out to get Slaton (I grabbed Chris Johnson instead in my rookie draft), be sure to lock up Christ Taylor. He is a prototypical 5'10"/220lb LT sized RB. The team has been enamoured with him for some time, and he will get carries. Not sure who starts, and it really doesn't matter for week 1.

Both of these guys will get meaningful carries sometime during the season.

As for Green and Brown, Green will hobble around and eventually go to the IR (unless they just cut bait on him), and Christy Brown will be cut. They are both old and broke, and the team simply can't count on either of them to give the offense a lift.

Ahman Green is currently the starter so far as I can tell.

Slaton is the better back, but Green will start for now.

Slaton will be the starter before mid-season IMHO.....whether he is solid #2 or #3 Rb when that happens remains to be seen.

In a keeper league? Huh. Can't say I agree with the choice. Ray Rice looks like the most promising long term guy out of the 3 if you ask me.