Sign in to follow this  
jgcrawfish

More proof that there are only two franchises that count

Per the 4-letter network...

ESPN Franchise Rankings...

1. Dallas Cowboys

Pct. SB Play. W ≥ 12W ≤ 4W All-Pro MNF CC CPD Busts Total

.594 5-3 26 10 2 56 69 6 2 1 1,498

The Cowboys might not be your team, but they are indeed America's Team.

Since the merger, no team has displayed as much consistent excellence across as wide a variety of criteria as Dallas. During the NFL's modern era, the Cowboys lead the NFL in Super Bowl berths and playoff victories. No other team has won a Super Bowl under three different coaches.

The Cowboys have ranked in the top three in scoring 11 times and in scoring defense eight times since 1970 -- advancing to the NFC Championship Game an astonishing 14 times in that period.

Only Pittsburgh has had more first-team All-Pros. Only San Francisco has had more seasons of 12-plus wins. Only Miami has had more "Monday Night Football" appearances. How good are the Cowboys? So good that they won a Super Bowl with Barry Switzer as coach.

Certainly, the Cowboys have had their share of off-the-field issues. That's a case study for another day. What we'd really like to know is … how did these guys ever lose to the Lions and Cardinals in the playoffs?!

2. Pittsburgh Steelers

Pct. SB Play. W ≥ 12W ≤ 4W All-Pro MNF CC CPD Busts Total

.603 5-1 23 6 0 62 57 2 0 2 1,495

The Steelers narrowly missed out on bragging rights to the top spot. But before you blame Page 2, notice that Dallas was penalized with two "crushing" postseason defeats to Pittsburgh's zero. Left off that list was the Steelers' loss to San Diego in the 1994 AFC Championship Game, which occurred days after some Pittsburgh players met with a choreographer to make plans for a music video for a Super Bowl rap song called "The Blitzburgh." Embarrassing? Certainly. Crushing? Probably not.

So if you need to blame someone, we suggest Neil O'Donnell. Those two dubious interceptions to the Cowboys in Super Bowl XXX amount to a 50-point swing.

On the positive side, Pittsburgh has enjoyed the NFL's most stable coaching situation -- consider that the Steelers have employed as many head coaches since the merger (three) as the Falcons have in the past nine months. Pittsburgh also leads the league in first-team All-Pros since 1970, with nine players being so honored at least five times. The Steelers have advanced to 13 AFC Championship Games, winning six.

you can stop reading after here...nobody else is even close. I don't like the MNF appearances being factored in, because that's rather subjective. But Pittsburgh will claim the top spot after this season regardless...

you can stop reading after here...nobody else is even close. I don't like the MNF appearances being factored in, because that's rather subjective. But Pittsburgh will claim the top spot after this season regardless...

Well..I guess it can't be argued if some guy who writes for ESPN.com says it.

:lol:

Wouldn't be surprised at all if this ended up being the Superbowl.

Maybe the Steelers could end up there. Romo and company will be watching the Superbowl at home again.

Maybe the Steelers could end up there. Romo and company will be watching the Superbowl at home again.

+1

Dallas' DEF has got alot of work to do before they make it to the dance. Not saying it can't happen but I don't see them there

yet again this year.

+1

Dallas' DEF has got alot of work to do before they make it to the dance. Not saying it can't happen but I don't see them there

yet again this year.

Plus they have a hack head coach and a QB that has proven nothing when it really matters.

Gentlemen, gentlemen, gentlemen,

We Steelers fans do not need to be on here bashing Cowboys fans. Let us take the high road and celebrate the fact that their team is a solid team and plays hard.

Sure it would be easy to go after them because they now slob on the knob of TO after he famously desecrated the Star at the 50 yard line of Cowboy stadium when he was a 49'er. Sure he was the laughing stock of Cowboys fans everywhere when he went through the media circus in Philly. Every Cowboy fan I know commented on what a tool and idiot the guy was and how "they would NEVER have him on THEIR team"... Sure we can make those comments but why do so?

It's not their fault that their plastic face owner has the stability of Brittney Spears. His need for attention has ran off 2 great coaches in Jimmy Johnson and BIll Parcells while the Rooney's have employeed 3 head coaches in over 40 years. To make fun of that would be too easy.. It's not like the guy hired Barry Switzer, Chan Gailey (chuckle), and Dave Campo (Guffaw)..

Let's just sit back and appreciate that team for their past (Jackie Smith dropped touchdown pass in the Super Bowl) and their present (ROMO FUMBLED THE SNAP)..

Again men, let's take the high road.

Gentlemen, gentlemen, gentlemen,

We Steelers fans do not need to be on here bashing Cowboys fans. Let us take the high road and celebrate the fact that their team is a solid team and plays hard.

Sure it would be easy to go after them because they now slob on the knob of TO after he famously desecrated the Star at the 50 yard line of Cowboy stadium when he was a 49'er. Sure he was the laughing stock of Cowboys fans everywhere when he went through the media circus in Philly. Every Cowboy fan I know commented on what a tool and idiot the guy was and how "they would NEVER have him on THEIR team"... Sure we can make those comments but why do so?

It's not their fault that their plastic face owner has the stability of Brittney Spears. His need for attention has ran off 2 great coaches in Jimmy Johnson and BIll Parcells while the Rooney's have employeed 3 head coaches in over 40 years. To make fun of that would be too easy.. It's not like the guy hired Barry Switzer, Chan Gailey (chuckle), and Dave Campo (Guffaw)..

Let's just sit back and appreciate that team for their past (Jackie Smith dropped touchdown pass in the Super Bowl) and their present (ROMO FUMBLED THE SNAP)..

Again men, let's take the high road.

As a fellow Steelers fans, I present you with this gift of emoticons, in a gesture of approval and agreement:

:pointstosky: :first: :first: :first: :first:

With all due respect to the Cowboys and Steelers, who certainly have been two of the better franchises since the modern era (70s), they were both the patsies of pro football for many years when other teams like the Giants, Eagles, Browns, Packers, Colts, Redskins, and Bears who helped pro football grow through some tough times. I guess Dallas may have been ok, but their predecessor, the Dallas Texans were pretty horrible most of the time.

If you believe pro football started and ended in 1970, you are disrespecting the history of this game and the teams and owners that made this possible.

(Just trying to humble those Steeler fans some...you guys seem pretend football didn't exist before 1970 when your teams were putrid waste ;) )

Then again, how can you not like Pittsburgh unless you hate them for fielding tough teams, with tough guy players that adopt the city's mentality and your team can't match up in that respect.

THANK GOD! I've been waiting so long for a valid excuse to stop watching my beloved Eagles!

I thought about it after they lost their 3rd straight NFC Championship :mad: . I even thought about it after they got over that hump, but lost in the SB to the best team of the decade :cry: . Believe it or not, I even though about it after DMac went down for the 84th season in a row with an injury last year ;) . (Mildly considered it after DeSean decided to be an azz and forget that the ball needs to cross the goal line before you a touchdown can count) :unsure: .

And to think, all this time I've been putting myself through such pain and personal anguish. Such he11! :doh: Little did I know all I needed was a little nudge from some deuche at ESPN and some dude from "Deep in the Heart of Texas" slobbing his knob to let me know that there are only 2 teams in the NFL. Thanks again!

With all due respect to the Cowboys and Steelers, who certainly have been two of the better franchises since the modern era (70s), they were both the patsies of pro football for many years when other teams like the Giants, Eagles, Browns, Packers, Colts, Redskins, and Bears who helped pro football grow through some tough times. I guess Dallas may have been ok, but their predecessor, the Dallas Texans were pretty horrible most of the time.

If you believe pro football started and ended in 1970, you are disrespecting the history of this game and the teams and owners that made this possible.

(Just trying to humble those Steeler fans some...you guys seem pretend football didn't exist before 1970 when your teams were putrid waste :unsure: )

Then again, how can you not like Pittsburgh unless you hate them for fielding tough teams, with tough guy players that adopt the city's mentality and your team can't match up in that respect.

We don't really want people to know that we cut Johnny U in training camp and traded a 1st round pick to the bears who then drafted ###### Butkus... What matters is the 70's and beyond... ;)

We don't really want people to know that we cut Johnny U in training camp and traded a 1st round pick to the bears who then drafted ###### Butkus... What matters is the 70's and beyond... ;)

Yeah, but as a reformed Browns fan, who once despised the Steelers I need some amount of satisfaction from knowing this stuff.

Not that it matters, you did get Bettis from the Rams and the best QB in that draft that had Manning and Rivers. You also got the ultimate football player in Hines Ward. If a team could field 22 players with his mindset, it would be unstoppable.

As a fellow Steelers fans, I present you with this gift of emoticons, in a gesture of approval and agreement:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: *

Fixored :rolleyes:

the cowsissies can keep their espn love-fest.

the giants won the greatest superbowl victory in history, with the perfect storyline, the greatest play in superbowl history and took down an undefeated team with physical football and good coaching.

nothing beats that bishes, ill take it anyday over bein a cowgirl :thumbsup:

(Just trying to humble those Steeler fans some...you guys seem pretend football didn't exist before 1970 when your teams were putrid waste :thumbsup: )

You obviously know nothing about football if you think the Dallas Texans are the Cowboys' "predecessor" they are the Kansas City Chiefs "predecessor".

HTH!!!