Sign in to follow this  
throttlers

Derrick Ward's value in a dynasty league.

Tough to tell at this point, but I think he gets a shot to compete for a starting job somewhere. As a ward owner, it would take a pretty solid deal right now to send his potential away.

Is he worth trading for in a dynasty league?

Problem is that there is a lot of risk around him right now because you don't know where he will land. You can trade him now and get something decent, but then you would be kicking yourself in the head if he gets a coush starting job somewhere. I would just hold out until you know more - unless someone is paying high for the risk.

I can see a little of Michael Turner's 2008 situation in him. Quality backup who's chomping at the bit to produce in a starter's roll. I don't think he's as good as Turner, but I do think he's a very capable all around back worthy of starting and becoming a marginal #2 and definite #3 FF option in the right situation.

His pending FA is what made me trade away DeWil at the midpoint season with MBIII and MJD as the anchors. DeWil promptly blew up :thumbsup: but I do believe Ward can be a great #3.

The question is... He's unrestricted right? If so, this guy's a flat-out stud. He topped 1,000 yds rushing in only 182 carries, and his 5.6 ypc avg was the fourth highest of any back topping 1,000 yds since the merger. He had 41 receptions for almost 400 more yds and didn't miss a game this season, though he was banged up here and there. This is complete back. The only question is can he handle a 70-75% workload, which should safely be considered as non-rbbc numbers. Also, he's tough enough and big enough to be a goal line guy. Sure, he only had two TD's, but even that is a miracle considering Brenda glory-hogged all the short stuff.

Oh yeah, there's any number of teams that will want him as their #1. I think the G-Men make a mistake by letting him go and keeping Brenda. But either way there, Ward's value skyrockets.

You win FFB championships with Rb's.

Ward has a shot (how big is anyone's guess) to be a really productive Rb somewhere. You can't just give up on that unless a true sweetheart deal comes along. But really, what are you gonna get for Ward right now, some Wr2? I'd stick with Ward. Same reason people hung onto Pierre Thomas, Turner, and D-Will last year. Cause you just never know. Maybe Ward is a career backup, maybe he's the next big thing. Right now you get to find out for free, which is worth a ton more IMO than what he'd get you in a trade.

Would you trade away Eddie Royal for Ward and a first round pick in a rookie draft?

:angry:

Would you trade away Eddie Royal for Ward and a first round pick in a rookie draft?

Depends on how high that first round pick is and where Ward ends up.

If Ward resigns with NY, and it's a low first round rookie pick, then NO.

If Ward signed on to start somewhere and I needed a decent RB3 option, then yes.

If Ward resigns with NY, and it's a top 2-3 rookie pick, then maybe. Depends if I needed Royal or not.

The question is... He's unrestricted right? If so, this guy's a flat-out stud. He topped 1,000 yds rushing in only 182 carries, and his 5.6 ypc avg was the fourth highest of any back topping 1,000 yds since the merger. He had 41 receptions for almost 400 more yds and didn't miss a game this season, though he was banged up here and there. This is complete back. The only question is can he handle a 70-75% workload, which should safely be considered as non-rbbc numbers. Also, he's tough enough and big enough to be a goal line guy. Sure, he only had two TD's, but even that is a miracle considering Brenda glory-hogged all the short stuff.

Oh yeah, there's any number of teams that will want him as their #1. I think the G-Men make a mistake by letting him go and keeping Brenda. But either way there, Ward's value skyrockets.

if he is so good why didn't any teams want him last year? He was available and didn't even get a sniff. giants o'line is really really good, just saying....

if he is so good why didn't any teams want him last year? He was available and didn't even get a sniff. giants o'line is really really good, just saying....

He was coming off a significant injury at the end of last year. Teams are not going to open their pocket books for a player that would be a major question mark going into the season. I would say he more than proved that he's healthy and quite capable of being a #1 in 2009. It is definitly a different set of circumstances this time around.

Respectfully, the Giants O-line is really good. But dude just seemed to run harder this season, and stayed healthy while doing it. Plus he's got great hands and moves coming out of the backfield into the flat. Can he hold up as a #1, or even a primary RBBC guy? My operational risk management says yes, if he ends up in the right situation. He'd look real good in Cleveland.

He was coming off a significant injury at the end of last year. Teams are not going to open their pocket books for a player that would be a major question mark going into the season. I would say he more than proved that he's healthy and quite capable of being a #1 in 2009. It is definitly a different set of circumstances this time around.

fair enough :thumbsdown:

Respectfully, the Giants O-line is really good. But dude just seemed to run harder this season, and stayed healthy while doing it. Plus he's got great hands and moves coming out of the backfield into the flat. Can he hold up as a #1, or even a primary RBBC guy? My operational risk management says yes, if he ends up in the right situation. He'd look real good in Cleveland.

right on.

the giants O-line made the RBs to a certain extent. Ward is a good RB and will succeed in the right system for a year or two. But idk how much value he would have in a dynasty league unless you can get him cheap.

The RB position is such that its relatively easy to find a young guy in the draft. That being said, Ward could succeed elsewhere.