Sign in to follow this  
throttlers

Jonathan Stewart

What does the breakout year DeAngelo had last year do to his value? What are the chances he breaks 1000 yards even playing as the #2? I have this guy in a couple dynasty leagues and havn't decided what to do with him. People are still high on him and I have gotten a few offers. If he puts up another 800 yard season, his value might be down a year from now. If you are an owner, are you keeping him. If you traded him, what did you get. Anyone keeping both DeAngelo and Stewart?

What does the breakout year DeAngelo had last year do to his value? What are the chances he breaks 1000 yards even playing as the #2? I have this guy in a couple dynasty leagues and havn't decided what to do with him. People are still high on him and I have gotten a few offers. If he puts up another 800 yard season, his value might be down a year from now. If you are an owner, are you keeping him. If you traded him, what did you get. Anyone keeping both DeAngelo and Stewart?

been wondering the same thing. have him in dynasty myself and tried like heck to get DeAngelo before he blew up but couldn't pull it off. Now I'm not sure what to do. I still believe that Stewart is more talented than DeAngelo and the better all around back, but Williams value couldn't be much higher right now. If I part with Stewart I'll be lucky to get $0.75 on the dollar for him and I don't want to give up a high draft pick for DeAngelo. :doublethumbsup:

care to support this thinking with anything?

the years prior to last year...but he wants to get a new deal so he could perform

Both are talented backs. Look for similar numbers this year from both of them. Stewart's will improve, Deangelo's will fall. I think Stewart will get closer to 15 tds this season.

In my dynasty league, I'm a Stewart owner and tried really hard in the offseason to pry DeAngelo away but had no luck. I had drafted Stewart at 2 and Kevin Smith at 7 and offered the DWill owner Smith and my #1 this year for him and got turned down.

DWill has two years left on his rookie contract with cap numbers of 2009:$1.6MM and 2010:$1.7MM and he'll be 28 when it expires. Stewart signed a five year deal with his numbers being 2009: $1.7MM, 2010: $2.1MM, 2011: $2.44MM, and 2012: $2.8MM. I'm not sure if Stewarts number include the prorated signing bonus.

Seeing how the Panthers let Jordan Gross's deal play all the way out before resigning him, it might be a similar situation with DWill in that they'll let his rookie contract play out before and trying to sign him to a new deal. With Stewart in the fold, I think it makes it tougher for the Panthers to give him a huge contract. Stewarts numbers don't scream #1 RB money, but he's talented enough to make DeAngelo somewhat expendable. Of course, I'm a biased Stewart owner. DWill, however, was lights out and showed tremendous change of direction ability, inside toughness, and homerun capabilities. I was really impressed with him this year.

In the end, I'm planning to hold onto Stewart because I won't get much value for him at this point. I think he'll be a solid #3 RB and might push 1000 yds and 12 TD's. I think it will be much like this year though, where the numbers are inconsistent and you'll have days of 10 carries 50 yards and others of 15 carries 120 yards and 2 TD's.

Clearly the Panthers were felling that Williams was likely a "bust" and drafted Stewart to step in and take over to either cut or trade Williams, which lit a fire under Williams' butt and got him to perform at his expected level.

Now if you are the Panthers GM you are in a position where you can perhaps look forward to a trade of one of these guys in the future, you have leverage against Williams looking for big money down the road, and can let him go FA on you without stressing. I think it allows the Panthers to focus on other team needs in the coming drafts with a sense of security that the RB position is locked in one way or another.