Sign in to follow this  
hines86rules

Overturned boat found

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3945355

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- The Coast Guard says it has found a person clinging to an overturned boat off Florida's Gulf Coast, but could not immediately confirm whether it is the same boat carrying NFL players Corey Smith, Marquis Cooper and two other men.

A source close to the situation, who spoke with ESPN.com's Bill Williamson, said the Coast Guard has secured Nick Schuyler, who was the person clinging to the boat. The search continues for the other people on board.

Doesn't look good for the other 3.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3945355

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- The Coast Guard says it has found a person clinging to an overturned boat off Florida's Gulf Coast, but could not immediately confirm whether it is the same boat carrying NFL players Corey Smith, Marquis Cooper and two other men.

A source close to the situation, who spoke with ESPN.com's Bill Williamson, said the Coast Guard has secured Nick Schuyler, who was the person clinging to the boat. The search continues for the other people on board.

Doesn't look good for the other 3.

Well that sucks! Hopefully by some miracle of a chance the others are somewhere safe, but yeah, it isn't looking good.

+1 for the missing 3 guys...here's hoping they're found safe and sound with their lifevests on. :thumbsup:

I wonder if Schuyler is the guide, or at least the most experienced among the four at sea. He's either lucky or knew what to do in an emergency. I hope he instructed the others on what to do and they're safe.

I wonder if Schuyler is the guide, or at least the most experienced among the four at sea. He's either lucky or knew what to do in an emergency. I hope he instructed the others on what to do and they're safe.

Schuyler was just a buddy. These guys are all football players (or former players). They were on a 21 ft boat, which is not very big given the waves that they were out in.

Have they CG confirmed this is really the NFL player's boat ? Is this Schuyler fellow on the fishing trip with them ?

Nick Schuyler was one of the four guys on the boat along with Marques Cooper, Will Bleakly and Corey Smith.

Link

OMFG ! That's the boat ? :thumbsup:

I think some of the lifeboats on the Titanic were bigger than that. What were those guys thinking ?

I thought the same thing, rather small boat to be out that far!

I heard a report yesterday that the water temperature was either 62 or 68 (I can't remember which), which doesn't seem that cold. However, the human body can really only take about 7-8 hrs in that water before core temp drops and hypothermia sets in. It's a really bad sign that those guys dropped off the boat nearly 36 hrs ago.

I heard a report yesterday that the water temperature was either 62 or 68 (I can't remember which), which doesn't seem that cold. However, the human body can really only take about 7-8 hrs in that water before core temp drops and hypothermia sets in. It's a really bad sign that those guys dropped off the boat nearly 36 hrs ago.

the coast guard officially called off the search. they're gone.

sad.

It still boggles my mind. These dudes had everything. Imagine, before the trip, they probably said bye to their families, left their big house with home theater and huge plasma tv, got in their Escalades. And 72 hours later, they're shark food ( possibly ). :dunno:

the curious part to me is that the lone survivor reported they were all still together at 2:00 a.m. the following morning but the other got detached from the boat and took off their lifevests...um, you're 30+ miles off the coast clinging to a boat that overturned in very rough seas..why would you take off your lifevest??? something is odd about this and me thinks we haven't heard all the details.

It still boggles my mind. These dudes had everything. Imagine, before the trip, they probably said bye to their families, left their big house with home theater and huge plasma tv, got in their Escalades. And 72 hours later, they're shark food ( possibly ). :doublethumbsup:

You think they would have heeded Martin Brody's advice: "I think we're gonna need a bigger boat."

the curious part to me is that the lone survivor reported they were all still together at 2:00 a.m. the following morning but the other got detached from the boat and took off their lifevests...um, you're 30+ miles off the coast clinging to a boat that overturned in very rough seas..why would you take off your lifevest??? something is odd about this and me thinks we haven't heard all the details.

i didn't hear anything about them taking off their vests.

i read an article where Schuyler told the mother of the other former college guy that her son swam under the boat and got life vests for the other 3 and used a cushion as his own flotation device. That ehy were all repeatedly throw from the boat by big waves and swam back to the boat each time to try and huddle together. And that the other 3 eventually drifted from the boat.

ill try and find a link

edit : http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11457913

i read an article where Schuyler told the mother of the other former college guy that her son swam under the boat and got life vests for the other 3 and used a cushion as his own flotation device. That ehy were all repeatedly throw from the boat by big waves and swam back to the boat each time to try and huddle together. And that the other 3 eventually drifted from the boat.

ill try and find a link

not to mention exposure does weird things to the mind and body...at some point you don't think logically anymore...and in the final stages of hypothermia the body feels like its excessively heated...that's why on land searchers sometimes find freeze victims with little or no clothing.

this story just shows the grim reaper is no respecter of your lot in life. rich. poor. mean. nice. saints. sinners. no one is promised tomorrow.

ill try and find a link

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,504464,00.html

But two to four hours after the boat capsized, one of the NFL players removed his life jacket and let himself be swept out to sea, the St. Petersburg Times reported. A few hours later, the other one followed suit.

"We were told that Nick said the two NFL players took their life jackets off and drifted out to sea," said Bob Bleakley, whose son Will Bleakley, 25, is also still missing.

This could be where he got it. According to this link, they did take them off.