Sign in to follow this  
BMoney

david ortiz

those numbers are plunging since his 54 homer season.....

i want to trade for him since he ranks just below hot garbage and just ahead of chien ming wang...

is he worth trading for?....will an a-rod shipment accidentally get sent to his place this summer? *please*...

injuries, aging fastly with his bodytype and not having manny to protect him.

see: andruw jones, cecil fielder, mo vaughn, etc

*newbie edit

Man, if he did roids he certainly didn't put in any of the gym time it takes to make them fully beneficial. Ortiz is just an out-of-shape, lazy dude who had enough natural talent to have a few good years. You can't consistantly play at an elite level if your idea of working out is getting off teh couch and walking to teh fridge.

He's Mo Vaughn II

I'll never get another job because my idea of working is getting off teh couch and walking to teh fridge.

Fixored :pointstosky:

I'm a retard who can never think of anything to say so I just repeat the same old tired things over and over. I am sooo bitter about Obama winning and the demise of the Republican Party, that I start threads that are based on lies. In a matter of minutes, the smarter guys on the board like Wiffleball, Tikigods, and NewbieJr find the faults in my logic and whip me like a redheaded stepdaughter. I get owned repeatedly and I pretty-much am the laughing stock of this board. So, I go back to the same old tired insults. Even though the guy I'm bustin' on for losing his job has a nicer house, hotter wife, and better car than I'll ever own. And he makes more DJing every week than I make at my full time job. I hate my life. (even though I'm excited about the 4-12 Seahawks) :shocking:

Fixed her for ya :pointstosky:

PS. Any ideas on what I should do today? I'll probably work out in about an hour. It's cloudy, so I probably won't get a chance to lay out and have a beer while catching some rays. I think it's a sign-up week, so I'll have to reserve about thirty seconds to go online so that they directly deposit my unemployment into my account. I wish they'd find a way to make that automatic. I'm getting tired of wasting that thirty seconds in order to get paid. TIA

Papi is not seeing the ball well at all. I originally though that he was having a hard time turning on fastballs, but he is not seeing the offspeed stuff well either. He is not even hitting the mistakes.

BTW - it has nothing to do with Manny "protecting him". Youkillis is tearing it up in the 4-hole (batting over .400) and pitchers would prefer to face Ortiz at this point.

Papi is done, but it has nothing to do with steroids.

He hit his 54 HR in 2006, MLB changed their testing policies in 2003. If he was able to use in 2006 and get away with it, why stop now? :pointstosky:

Stop being stupid. He's fat old and he can't turn on a fastball anymore. He's probably closer to 36, than the 33 people think he is now.

Vlad anyone?

I don't think his wrist ever recovered properly. It doesn't help that he is getting older. As Ed said, he could easily be a few years older than what is shown on his player profile.

It was a VERY fun run with him, but he might be all done. :pointstosky:

I don't think his wrist ever recovered properly. It doesn't help that he is getting older. As Ed said, he could easily be a few years older than what is shown on his player profile.

It was a VERY fun run with him, but he might be all done. :pointstosky:

I'm not happy with my destain for him right now, I can't believe I watch him at the plate like he's Tek from last year.

Papi was the main man that helped to bring the Red Sox back from that 0 - 3 deficit against the Yankees in the 2004 ALCS and helping the Red Sox win their 1st WS since 1918. I and no other Sox fan should ever forget that. Papi should go into the RS HOF someday for what he meant to the RS.

However, let's be honest Terry Francoma, he's done. Please move him down in the lineup if nothing else.

Papi is done, but it has nothing to do with steroids.

He hit his 54 HR in 2006, MLB changed their testing policies in 2003. If he was able to use in 2006 and get away with it, why stop now? :music_guitarred:

Stop being stupid. He's fat old and he can't turn on a fastball anymore. He's probably closer to 36, than the 33 people think he is now.

Vlad anyone?

I agree with edjr. I think he might have taken steroids but his decline has nothing to do with them. maybe his power numbers would have gone down but Papi has lost bat speed and he just hasn't been the same since his wrist injury. He actually looked bad last season before the wrist injury. he also had the knee injury. Jim Rice was another guy who declined rapidly. And I always thought Papi looked older than the age he was listed at.

I hope he can turn it around but I am not optimistic. The good news is that he is at a position that is the most easily replaceable. Any hitter can DH. I hear the Red Sox have a slugging firstbaseman down on the farm who has a lot of potential. They have to start thinking about bringing him up soon.

BTW - it has nothing to do with Manny "protecting him". Youkillis is tearing it up in the 4-hole (batting over .400) and pitchers would prefer to face Ortiz at this point.

I totally agree on this point. Anyone who thinks it has anything to do with Manny does not follow the Red Sox. They not only have Youk but Lowell and Bay are putting up All Star numbers as well.

Fixed her for ya :music_guitarred:

PS. Any ideas on what I should do today? I'll probably work out in about an hour. It's cloudy, so I probably won't get a chance to lay out and have a beer while catching some rays. I think it's a sign-up week, so I'll have to reserve about thirty seconds to go online so that they directly deposit my unemployment into my account. I wish they'd find a way to make that automatic. I'm getting tired of wasting that thirty seconds in order to get paid. TIA

I agree with edjr. I think he might have taken steroids but his decline has nothing to do with them. maybe his power numbers would have gone down but Papi has lost bat speed and he just hasn't been the same since his wrist injury. He actually looked bad last season before the wrist injury. he also had the knee injury. Jim Rice was another guy who declined rapidly. And I always thought Papi looked older than the age he was listed at.

I hope he can turn it around but I am not optimistic. The good news is that he is at a position that is the most easily replaceable. Any hitter can DH. I hear the Red Sox have a slugging firstbaseman down on the farm who has a lot of potential. They have to start thinking about bringing him up soon.

Jim Rice lost his eyesight.

If they had lasik surgery in 1990, Rice would have at least made it to 400.

He refused to wear glasses or contacts. :music_guitarred:

Jim Rice lost his eyesight.

If they had lasik surgery in 1990, Rice would have at least made it to 400.

He refused to wear glasses or contacts. :pointstosky:

I am wondering if Papi should visit the eye doctor. This is not just a fastball problem with him.

I am wondering if Papi should visit the eye doctor. This is not just a fastball problem with him.

Agreed. It's a lot more than the fastball.

Confidence? He's not hitting anything with any power.

I've seen him foul off or flat out miss pitches that he used to crush.

Whatever it is, Terry needs to move him to 6th and 7th and if he doesn't hit then, they need to trade for someone that can. :pointstosky:

Agreed. It's a lot more than the fastball.

Confidence? He's not hitting anything with any power.

I've seen him foul off or flat out miss pitches that he used to crush.

Whatever it is, Terry needs to move him to 6th and 7th and if he doesn't hit then, they need to trade for someone that can. :pointstosky:

I thought he was hitting OK in spring training. I know spring training is not the regular season but I remember seeing him hit a bomb. Thats why I thought it may have just been his injury last year. I would also move him down in the order for another couple of weeks or so.

If he can't break out by the end of May then let the Lars Anderson era begin.

Born: September 25, 1987

Oakland, CA

Height: 6-4

Weight: 210

Bats: Left

Throws: Left

Drafted: 18th round, 2006

How Acquired: Draft

High School: Jesuit (CA)

ETA: late 2009

Scouting Report: Large, powerful slugger with a great hitter's frame, excellent present power, and an elite power ceiling. Extremely smooth and fluid swing. Impeccable batting eye with very good patience at the plate, he actually could stand to be a little more aggressive. Hits especially well to the opposite field, but also can pull the ball on occasion. His swing is tailor-made for Fenway. Still strikes out a little bit too much, particularly against off-speed stuff from more advanced pitchers. Athletic for his size, plays a pretty good first base. Digs throws in the dirt well. Makes some nice diving plays, but still can look awkward at times. Mediocre range. Not a stolen base threat, his speed is about average for a big 1B. Takes instruction well and learns fast. Strong work ethic. Intelligent and confident. Likely would have been a supplemental first round pick in 2006 if not for high bonus demands. Anderson spent significant time in left field in high school (but has yet to play there professionally), so it's not out of the question that he could spend some time in the outfield in 2009 in case his path is temporarily blocked at 1B in the Red Sox system.

MLB Comparison: Justin Morneau

I thought he was hitting OK in spring training. I know spring training is not the regular season but I remember seeing him hit a bomb. Thats why I thought it may have just been his injury last year. I would also move him down in the order for another couple of weeks or so.

If he can't break out by the end of May then let the Lars Anderson era begin.

Lars is a great prospect, but no way they bring him into a penant race to replace papi.

They will trade for someone no doubt if they need someone.

The Red Sox love to baby their young players too much.

Lars is a great prospect, but no way they bring him into a penant race to replace papi.

another case of a guy who could hit a HR every game yet not given a chance. I'm not saying he's that good,

but he's better than Ortiz right now...anyone is. the sux are lucky to only be stuck with him through 09/10 at

12.5mill. also he is a no-trade unless he approves it.

another case of a guy who could hit a HR every game yet not given a chance. I'm not saying he's that good,

but he's better than Ortiz right now...anyone is. the sux are lucky to only be stuck with him through 09/10 at

12.5mill. also he is a no-trade unless he approves it.

Papi did the red sox a HUGE favor by signing a contract for way less money than he could have gotten elsewhere and for far fewer years.

They are trying to repay him now by letting him still play.

Papi did the red sox a HUGE favor by signing a contract for way less money than he could have gotten elsewhere and for far fewer years.

They are trying to repay him now by letting him still play.

I have no problem with him still playing (for now), but he definitely needs to be moved down the lineup. He should be in the 8th spot.

I have no problem with him still playing (for now), but he definitely needs to be moved down the lineup. He should be in the 8th spot.

Papi should be hitting below Tek.

Who would have ever thought you'd hear those words uttered? :overhead:

Maybe Ollama could use taxpayer dollars to buy out the rest ofhis contract and then just tell the sux what spot he should hit.

Maybe Ollama could use taxpayer dollars to buy out the rest ofhis contract and then just tell the sux what spot he should hit.

Then he could add basball ownership to the list of things he is vastly superior to Dubya at. :overhead:

Then he could add basball ownership to the list of things he is vastly superior to Dubya at. :thumbsdown:

:shocking:

Bump for Newbie to rehash things. :rolleyes:

Also, looks like it is all just because of his eyes. Seems like ed and I knew what we were talking about :o

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds..._for_an_answer/

Step one, go to an eye doctor.

"You know what? I've been thinking about getting my eyes checked, for real," said Ortiz, who occasionally wears glasses. "There have been some situations that something has happened to my eyes, my vision. But I'm planning on getting my eyes checked out sometime soon . . . just to make sure.

hes going to improve his eyesight just so he can find the syringe that he dropped 3 years ago....

nah..he will get his sight back...look in the mirror and think..fock..im fat....off to the gym he goes.... :pointstosky:

The only thing that I can tell you is that I thought that he was not seeing the ball well. He was missing mistakes. That is not a roids issue.

I was told by the local radio and news guys that the team must have thought of that already and that there is no way that his eyesight could be any factor whatsoever. Now, we hear a couple of months later that he has not even had that taken care of. :(

Here is Boston, we are sensitive because Jim Rice had a similar issue around the same age (how old is Papi really?).