Sign in to follow this  
jocstrap

Good News - Bad News

For Example: Pierre Thomas RB#3 Strappers

With rumors swirling the Saints are looking to add a power running back to their roster, Thomas has made it clear he wants to fill that role for the team, reports The Baton Rouge Advocate. Thomas said during a break from offseason workouts, "I've heard they [New Orleans] want a power back, and I'm trying to be that power back for them." Analysis: Thomas' playing weight last year fell between 210 and 215 pounds. This summer, he's up to 225 pounds, a weight he hopes to maintain throughout the season. Additionally, he is noticeably more muscular, as his squats have improved from 495 pounds to 675 pounds this offseason, increasing his leg drive and positioning himse... Per Rotowire

Dr. Neal ElAttrache, the surgeon who performed Tom Brady's ACL and MCL reconstruction, says Brady has exceeded all his expectations during rehab.

"I've never seen anything quite like it," said ElAttrache. "It would have taken (an average person) probably twice as long to get range of motion and strength back. He's much further ahead than I even thought he could be." All reports about Brady's recovery have been overwhelmingly positive since January.

:banana:

(KFFL) Mark Gaughan, of The Buffalo News, reports Buffalo Bills RB Marshawn Lynch appears stronger than ever during spring practices. He has bulked up to 230 pounds. "I put some mass on," Lynch said. "I'll see how that's going to work." Lynch is up a good 10 pounds from last year's listed weight of 215 pounds, but he said he still feels good about his speed and hasn't lost a step. Lynch feels the extra weight will allow him to maintain a good playing weight during the season.

TheHuddle) Adam Teicher, of The Kansas City Star, reports Chiefs RB Jamaal Charles worked with the first-team offense during practice Friday, May 22. Analysis: The franchise is certainly not committed to Larry Johnson, and there were talks earlier this offseason that he could be released. At minimum Charles is picking up valuable time with the first team that should enhance what regular season opportunities he might receive in a job share or as the lone feature back should LJ be removed from the picture.

Rotoworld) Knowshon Moreno seems likely to take on passing-down duties in Denver now that J.J. Arrington has been released.

Analysis: LaMont Jordan and Correll Buckhalter could do it, but the coaching staff has raved about Moreno's blitz-pickup ability and he was easily the draft's top receiving back.

Rotoworld) With Greg Camarillo rehabbing, Davone Bess ran as the starting flanker on the first day of Dolphins OTAs Tuesday. Analysis: Camarillo (ACL, meniscus surgery) participated in "some drills," but is being limited. His status for training camp is very much up in the air. The Dolphins would prefer Bess in the slot, but he could overtake Camarillo outside with a strong offseason. Bess is sure handed and knows how to get open.

Hakeem Nicks is running with the Giants' third-team offense at OTAs.

It's very early, but Nicks has Domenik Hixon and second-teamer Mario Manningham to beat out at the "X." Mario does not lack talent and Hixon is a starting-caliber NFL receiver, so Nicks' path to playing time isn't clear yet.

Comcast Sportsnet in Philadelphia reports that Brian Westbrook has a high right ankle sprain that may require ankle surgery.

The report says Westbrook will be ready for the regular season, but doesn't provide a timeline for his return. Westbrook, who had problems with the same ankle last year, also needed arthroscopic knee surgery this winter and turns 30 before Week 1. He's at major risk of breaking down this year, if he hasn't already. Westbrook averaged just 2.9 yards per carry in the Eagles' last six games. He's going to be someone to avoid in fantasy drafts.

:wub:

i knew i really didn't want to draft Westy at that spot... but i just couldn't pass him up.

:wub:

i knew i really didn't want to draft Westy at that spot... but i just couldn't pass him up.

This possibility is why I was surprised you didn't draft LeSean McCoy. He's supposed to be back by week1 of the NFL season anyway. So, no wear and tear on his body in training camp is great, he'll be recovering from ankle surgery and getting stronger rather than wearing down in practice.

This possibility is why I was surprised you didn't draft LeSean McCoy. He's supposed to be back by week1 of the NFL season anyway. So, no wear and tear on his body in training camp is great, he'll be recovering from ankle surgery and getting stronger rather than wearing down in practice.

supposedly just bone spurs, so the rest could be good for him and help him stay healthy for an extra week or two during the season...

i'm still not sold on McCoy, and even if Westy goes down for a few weeks, i don't think he'll be getting any more touches than any of my other backup RBs - and the backups i do have i think have chances of a higher ceiling... eg. LenWhale is clear-cut if CJ gets hurt, and will be the gl rb anyway. Mendenhall could easily be starting by mid year... BJax is another guy i think could see some good time if Grant gets hurt or struggles... i'd just rather spend a mid-round pick on a vet where i have at least some idea of what they are capable of instead of a rookie where i have no idea...

Westbrook is always injured and playing hurt and most of the time does pretty damn well - he might be the best running back at playing hurt ( other than Emmitt ) being that he always is :bandana: Wether Westbrook is healthy 100% or not McCoy will get carries ( up to 35% ) as the Eagles are gunning for a Superbowl and might be the best team in the NFC this year - why would they want to over use their best weapon during the season when they will need to lean heavy on him in the playoffs. Best thing Westbrook has going for him is theres really noone to take GL carries from him now an he has gotten pretty adept at the ole Priest dive. he should still play about 14 games and get his usual 50 - 60 receptions 500-600 yds rec and 900-1100 yards ru -- with approx 12 scores total. Missing TC has no effect on him.. an wil only serve to help McCoy get up to speed faster to help take pressure off.

Good News:

Running Back (Flex2)

Cowboys | F. Jones expected to see significantly more touches Published Thu Jun 4 8:27:25 p.m. CT 2009

(KFFL) Nick Eatman, of DallasCowboys.com, reports Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones' hopes for RB Felix Jones have soared considerably heading into the 2009 season. Jerry Jones said, "My expectations for Felix are to really have his touches to the ball upped significantly. Certainly, if you take into account that injury situation this year, he'll be a major touch-factor in the offense. He will be."

Good News:

Dallas D/Special-Teams

Cowboys | F. Jones fields punts Thursday (KFFL) Tim MacMahon, of The Dallas Morning News, reports Dallas Cowboys RB Felix Jones fielded punts during practice Thursday, June 4. He could be used as a punt returner during the regular season.

supposedly just bone spurs, so the rest could be good for him and help him stay healthy for an extra week or two during the season...

i'm still not sold on McCoy, and even if Westy goes down for a few weeks, i don't think he'll be getting any more touches than any of my other backup RBs - and the backups i do have i think have chances of a higher ceiling... eg. LenWhale is clear-cut if CJ gets hurt, and will be the gl rb anyway. Mendenhall could easily be starting by mid year... BJax is another guy i think could see some good time if Grant gets hurt or struggles... i'd just rather spend a mid-round pick on a vet where i have at least some idea of what they are capable of instead of a rookie where i have no idea...

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/04/...than-suggested/

(RotoWire) Forte is set to have an MRI on Thursday to diagnose an apparent lower left leg injury he suffered during OTAs on Wednesday, the Chicago Tribune reports.

Analysis: Forte claims to have felt a pop and was suffering from pain behind his knee and towards his hamstring and calf. Offensive coordinator Ron Turner said "I don't think there's any concern, I think he'll be fine." Not a good sign for the consensus fantasy first-rounder; hopefully this is just a minor setback.

:thumbsup:

I still think he plays week 1. he is the best at bouncing back with an injury around for RB's anyway. However the Eagles being primed for a title run might not be as inclined to rush him back unless they have to. News does give McCoy more value though

I think if anything happens to Westbrook, L.Weaver will be a nice surprise for anybody that stashed him. Guy has a great skill set for the Philly offense. and was grossly under utilized while he was in Seattle

There is a lot of talk around Paul Brown Stadium these days about a "different" Chris Henry. The oft-arrested receiver didn't miss a workout during offseason conditioning drills in March and April, and even before the Bengals reported to Cincinnati for work, Henry reportedly worked out with quarterback Carson Palmer in California.

Palmer, who has been unhappy with Chad Ocho Cinco for his failure to appear at workouts, has been highly supportive of Henry.

"He's rededicated his life, which is exciting to see and fun to work with," Palmer told the Cincinnati Enquirer. "He's been here to work and, coming in with that mind-set, it's great for the young players to see."

Thoughts, observations from Seahawks practice

June 10, 2009 4:51 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando

RENTON, Wash. -- Emptying the notebook after watching the Seahawks practice on a bright, sunny day at their lakefront facility:

Tight end John Carlson stands out right away. Defensive backs are bouncing off him after he catches the ball and turns upfield. Carlson makes overhead catches appear routine even with a defender trailing him closely. Quarterback Matt Hasselbeck said the staff is using Carlson extensively across multiple packages, including on third down.

:headbanger:

Beat reporter Mike Garafalo believes that Mario Manningham is very much in the mix to be the Giants' third receiver.

Garafalo says Super Mario has looked "very good this spring." He beat Giants LCB Aaron Ross on two deep routes during Thursday's OTA practice and might have the most vertical threat upside of any receiver on the roster.

The Broncos named Kyle Orton their starting quarterback after minicamp practice Saturday.

The early timing is a slight surprise, but the end result isn't. Orton was acquired from Chicago to start, with Chris Simms made for a backup role. Orton, known for his football smarts and work ethic, has picked up the complex offense faster. We like him as a sleeper in fantasy leagues because the Broncos will pass a ton.

Rumors that Plax will end up in Chicago are swirling here right now..

Plax's actual court date is almost assured to be after the season now and Goodel will more than likely hold off any punishment until after due process.

Plax in Chicago presents a GREAT #3 WR gotten in the later rounds. Smith , Roddy , an Plax -- with jax, KO , and Beast Mode at RB -- prolly best I have felt about my team preseason since 06 -- when I went 3-10 for the season -- :ninja:

Rumors that Plax will end up in Chicago are swirling here right now..

Plax's actual court date is almost assured to be after the season now and Goodel will more than likely hold off any punishment until after due process.

Plax in Chicago presents a GREAT #3 WR gotten in the later rounds. Smith , Roddy , an Plax -- with jax, KO , and Beast Mode at RB -- prolly best I have felt about my team preseason since 06 -- when I went 3-10 for the season -- :first:

Not this league, but I got Cutler in Edjr's dynasty league and I would be all :banana: :thumbsup: :cheers: if Plax does end up there.

(Rotoworld) According to Ravens offensive coordinator Cam Cameron, the Ravens backfield "truly is running back by committee." Analysis: Though Ray Rice has had a tremendous offseason, he's not the only back working with the first unit. Cameron pointed out that Willis McGahee is back up to full speed after offseason knee and ankle surgeries: "He's looked as good as he's looked since I've seen him. I'm just optimistic." While Rice is the Dynasty league back to own, his 2009 value is closer to a RB3/Flex option than rock-solid weekly starter.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/06/23/...-coming-around/

100 catches?

http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2009/05/sa...rt_meachem.html

3rd yr receiver......

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nf...ed-taylor_N.htm

can catch and run, will play 65-75% of the snaps and on a pass 1st offense?

1000yds, 45 catches.

PPR flex starter.

A healthy Colston is a top 5 WR. I wouldn't put him in the top 4 ( Moss , Calvin , AJ , and Fitz ) but right after that. With his knee getting micro surgery though I couldn't take him until after Wayne and Smith were gone. Actually i might take Wayne first but IMO Colston if 100% finishes no lower than 6 with a chance of much higher.

BUT - in terms of who you traded to get him - Last season Boldin lead the league in PPG and if he was healthy likely would have led the league in points. I too would rather have Colston as I see Colston having a better upside but the drop off of Brees to Cutler might be costly -- JMO though.

A healthy Colston is a top 5 WR. I wouldn't put him in the top 4 ( Moss , Calvin , AJ , and Fitz ) but right after that. With his knee getting micro surgery though I couldn't take him until after Wayne and Smith were gone. Actually i might take Wayne first but IMO Colston if 100% finishes no lower than 6 with a chance of much higher.

BUT - in terms of who you traded to get him - Last season Boldin lead the league in PPG and if he was healthy likely would have led the league in points. I too would rather have Colston as I see Colston having a better upside but the drop off of Brees to Cutler might be costly -- JMO though.

quit living in the past Moz :wacko:

He will outscore Fitz and Calvin of your list above, top 3.

(Rotoworld) Vikings coach Brad Childress admitted Wednesday that he's been awestruck by rookie Percy Harvin's playmaking ability. Analysis: "I think the first thing I thought about was really the same feelings the first time we handed Adrian Peterson the ball," Childress said. "When you see it with your own eyes ... the thing that came to mind right away was, 'Wow.'" Harvin will have a chance to make an immediate impact on an offense that figures to be much more explosive in 2009.

Calvin is unstoppable, doesnt matter who is throwing

If Jake was the Lions QB, Calvin would bust... can't perform when the ball is going to the other team...

If Jake was the Lions QB, Calvin would bust... can't perform when the ball is going to the other team...

Calvin wouldnt bust even if he was throwin to himself :music_guitarred:

Calvin is unstoppable, doesnt matter who is throwing

Calvin would be unstoppable w/ consistent play out of the QB.

He wont have anything close to consistent w/ Stafford.

Pep would atleast give you a chance.

No Pep, Colston outscores Calvin.

Calvin would be unstoppable w/ consistent play out of the QB.

He wont have anything close to consistent w/ Stafford.

Pep would atleast give you a chance.

No Pep, Colston outscores Calvin.

Are you freaking high man?

Last year -- he had Kitna , Orlovky , and Pepper - 3 total garbage QB's and lit it up... Stafford gives stability to form a chemistry. Calvin under Stafford might start slower but would finish strong. Colston I like as well - If I had to choose I go Calvin over anyone not named Randy Moss.

Right now the most valuable WR IMO is Randy as anything less than 1400 and 15 would be a shock if healthy and Brady healthy. Randy has 1500 - 20 pottential which no other WR has really.

Are you freaking high man?

Last year -- he had Kitna , Orlovky , and Pepper - 3 total garbage QB's and lit it up... Stafford gives stability to form a chemistry. Calvin under Stafford might start slower but would finish strong. Colston I like as well - If I had to choose I go Calvin over anyone not named Randy Moss.

Right now the most valuable WR IMO is Randy as anything less than 1400 and 15 would be a shock if healthy and Brady healthy. Randy has 1500 - 20 pottential which no other WR has really.

First things first, to answer your question.

Every nite, after work.

As far as your thoughts:

A ) To keep it topical, this comparison was Colston/Calvin.

We can agree to disagree, you know I always respect your knowledge on FF.

However, your wrong.

Stafford does not help Calvin's situation, only hurts it. Pep's in shape and the better QB for the Lions this season. No doubt in my mind.

Based upon that line of thinking, as I said, I believe Colston outscores Calvin.

B ) I agree w/ you on R Moss. I guess by you bringing Moss up they way you did, you think Calvin is the #2 WR. Not so sure......

Actually, I might have been high when I typed that.....

Was it after work? :overhead:

Every nite, after work.

As far as your thoughts:

A ) To keep it topical, this comparison was Colston/Calvin.

We can agree to disagree, you know I always respect your knowledge on FF.

However, your wrong.

Stafford does not help Calvin's situation, only hurts it. Pep's in shape and the better QB for the Lions this season. No doubt in my mind.

Based upon that line of thinking, as I said, I believe Colston outscores Calvin.

B ) I agree w/ you on R Moss. I guess by you bringing Moss up they way you did, you think Calvin is the #2 WR. Not so sure......

Was it after work? <_<

Stafford is the best QB Calvin has ever had

Every nite, after work.

Was it after work? :cheers:

Wake and bake. :thumbsdown:

Wake and bake. :pointstosky:

The best part of my week are Sat/Sun mornings, assuming no plans of course.