Sign in to follow this  
#1LionFan

Trade advice

Guy really wants Eagles D off me. I also am really high on their D this year. Would you get Antonio Brant for H. Ward, Eagles D and 3rd round rookie draft pick? Other D's available via FA are GB, SD, NE, Cards

Guy really wants Eagles D off me. I also am really high on their D this year. Would you get Antonio Brant for H. Ward, Eagles D and 3rd round rookie draft pick? Other D's available via FA are GB, SD, NE, Cards

Ok. first off, who the fock trades a defense???

San Diego's D will bounce back with Merriman back in the fold. Everybody else is an also ran. So to clarify, you get Bryant, you give Ward, Eagles and 3rd round pick? If that's the deal, well, then HELL no I don't do that. You have no idea what's going to happen to the QB situation in Tampa and Bryant is no lock to repeat his #'s and he's fairly inconsistent. Maybe without the 3rd rounder I might do it.

Giving your WR situation i'd do it. Dependig on Bryant's salary I suppose

Bryant's salary is $50. Kind of high I think but good pairing with Welker. FA WR include Santana Moss, Walter, Holt, Bennett, and a lot of other lower end, sleepers, etc

San Diego's D will bounce back with Merriman back in the fold. Everybody else is an also ran. So to clarify, you get Bryant, you give Ward, Eagles and 3rd round pick? If that's the deal, well, then HELL no I don't do that. You have no idea what's going to happen to the QB situation in Tampa and Bryant is no lock to repeat his #'s and he's fairly inconsistent. Maybe without the 3rd rounder I might do it.

A guy that wants my D I guess!

I dunno. It doesn't seem like it's actually the D he's after; it looks more like a smokescreen while he's trying to clear cap room and grab a low-cost draft pick while still getting back a decent receiver. It ultimately depends on highly you value Bryant and what plans you've formulated for your cap room. Perhaps take a look at some of the rookie drafts people have posted here in the last month and see what kind of a player you'd be missing out on with your 3rd rounder, too. Something feels shifty about this deal.

Personally, I like Bryant more than Ward. And I think SD is about the same as Philly's D....both D's I really like this year. So the deal comes down to Bryant for Ward + a draft pick.....I think I'd pull the trigger on that.

I agree. You are giving up too much. I also think the San Diego Defense will be Huge this year. In between Merriman and the new kid (English) that pass rush will be as good as it ever was.

:doublethumbsup:

Bryant's salary is $50. Kind of high I think but good pairing with Welker. FA WR include Santana Moss, Walter, Holt, Bennett, and a lot of other lower end, sleepers, etc

Giving the salary of Bryant I wouldn't do it. You'd be giving up $22 in WR salary. Plus who knows how much you'd have to pay for your replacement defense. This deal already puts you less than $100 salary (if my math is correct) while adding another hole on a team that has some holes already.

The only way this would make sense to me is if you could drop Gates and save half his salary. By picking up a mid level TE. In which case you have to believe Bryant will outscore Ward by more than Gates will outscore the mid level TE you get. Then you have to believe you're going to get relatively the same production from your defense for relatively the same price. All this doesn't even factor in the 3rd round pick you give.

Giving the salary of Bryant I wouldn't do it. You'd be giving up $22 in WR salary. Plus who knows how much you'd have to pay for your replacement defense. This deal already puts you less than $100 salary (if my math is correct) while adding another hole on a team that has some holes already.

The only way this would make sense to me is if you could drop Gates and save half his salary. By picking up a mid level TE. In which case you have to believe Bryant will outscore Ward by more than Gates will outscore the mid level TE you get. Then you have to believe you're going to get relatively the same production from your defense for relatively the same price. All this doesn't even factor in the 3rd round pick you give.

good post. Excellent analysis.

This is exactly the sort of thing you consider when making a deal.

Personally, I'd stay away from another large salary if I could. Based on what you have said in other threads, I'd focus on the fact you have WAY more salary available than other teams and instead of trading my way to glory, I'd be looking to target which free agents I want to sign to fill the existing holes in your lineup. If those players arent available, then I would consider doing a trade.

Agreed, thanks for the insight.

I ended up declining this deal. Bryant is in a contract year so it may haunt me.

One deal that I think I am going to do is Benson @ $9 for the 1.10 pick in the rookie draft @ $11 & Buckhaulter @ $1. This will give me Moreno's potential handcuff (since I have pick 1.01 & intend to take Moreno) and the choice between Nicks or Maclin if the big 5 RBs, 2 big QBs, and Crabtree & Harvin go as expected 1-9. We only start 1 RB with 2 flex spots so I will be fine with Ward, Moreno and a big FA and a bargain or two (Lynch, Addai, etc). I like Benson at $9 but not sold on him, especially in a PPR league.

On the other hand, we start a minimum of 3 WR with the option of up to 5. I need WR depth more IMO.