Sign in to follow this  
phan a tic

I know it's only day 6 at Training Camp

I went out to Redskins Park this morning to watch practice. I didn't take notes and I didn't snap pics but here's what I saw:

Jason Campbell sucks! He has no pocket presence. He gets flustered when he's hurried. And he is not accurate. Not accurate when he moves out of the pocket. Not accurate when he has all day to throw. Not even accurate when the QBs are just throwing towards a tire hanging in a net.

Colt Brennan on the other hand was very accurate and hit Receivers all morning. No INTs.

Campbell threw 3-4 INTs and some of the fans who have been there every day say he's throwing that many EVERY day.

If the Redskins Offense sucks in the first 4-5 regular season games with several loses, look for Colt Brennan to move to 1st string.

This is all JMHFO but it's real and true.

I'm a Skins fan for life. As are most of my friends, and we've all started joking around about handing over the reigns to Colt Brennan this year, TO OPEN THE SEASON AS THE STARTER. Campbell is not good. I've seen enough of him.

I went out to Redskins Park this morning to watch practice. I didn't take notes and I didn't snap pics but here's what I saw:

Jason Campbell sucks! He has no pocket presence. He gets flustered when he's hurried. And he is not accurate. Not accurate when he moves out of the pocket. Not accurate when he has all day to throw. Not even accurate when the QBs are just throwing towards a tire hanging in a net.

Colt Brennan on the other hand was very accurate and hit Receivers all morning. No INTs.

Campbell threw 3-4 INTs and some of the fans who have been there every day say he's throwing that many EVERY day.

If the Redskins Offense sucks in the first 4-5 regular season games with several loses, look for Colt Brennan to move to 1st string.

This is all JMHFO but it's real and true.

who needs this years' preseason? have you ever watching the man before? it's embarassing to the entire organization.

jdon

I'm a Skins fan for life. As are most of my friends, and we've all started joking around about handing over the reigns to Colt Brennan this year, TO OPEN THE SEASON AS THE STARTER. Campbell is not good. I've seen enough of him.

Some things I heard this morning:

After Capmbell threww a pick and another that should have been picked by some rookie, a fan shouted, "Hey Zorn get him out of there NOW!"

Later after Colt ran 4-5 excellent plays including a TD pass to TE Davis, he got sacked by Haynesworth. Zorn yelled at him asking what the heck were you loooking at. A fan yelled, "Leave him alone Zorn he's the only thing that can save your job this year!" Zorn gave an evil eye towards the fan.

Btw, I'm a 35 year Redskins fan. Used to know some of the old players. Dexter, May, Hardeman, Harmon and others. Don't know any of the current guys.

Some things I heard this morning:

After Capmbell threww a pick and another that should have been picked by some rookie, a fan shouted, "Hey Zorn get him out of there NOW!"

Later after Colt ran 4-5 excellent plays including a TD pass to TE Davis, he got sacked by Haynesworth. Zorn yelled at him asking what the heck were you loooking at. A fan yelled, "Leave him alone Zorn he's the only thing that can save your job this year!" Zorn gave an evil eye towards the fan.

Btw, I'm a 35 year Redskins fan. Used to know some of the old players. Dexter, May, Hardeman, Harmon and others. Don't know any of the current guys.

Zorn's evil eye is about as scary as a Care Bear Stare.

He better wake up and realize he's going to get buried with Campbell.

Sonny Jurgenson was quotes as saying Campbell doesn't have "it". Not good.

i remember last year's camp with Peter King reporting for SI. He was saying that Jason Campbell was THE MAN and looked awesome in practice. And Campbell started out strong, then promptly went in toilet...fast forward to this year:

3. It's only one day, one snapshot, but Jason Campbell looks more relaxed and at ease under Jim Zorn's tutelage to me. Here's why: This is the first time in Campbell's nine years of college and pro football that he's been the starter for a second straight year in the same offensive system with the same coach.

"There's no question it has to help him,'' Zorn told me. "He's a more comfortable player and it shows in everything he does.'' I'm writing about Campbell for the magazine next week, and he had some interesting things to say about an off-season that had the Redskins looking to deal for Jay Cutler, draft Mark Sanchez, and, I think, resurrect Sonny Jurgensen. But he's in a good place with his emotions now, and he'll have every chance to succeed or fail on his own this year after a roller-coaster of a season last year. I liked how he threw the ball in the morning practice -- crisp, with a tight spiral, and with accuracy.

I also heard that they had to scale back the playbook from well over 50 plays to less than 30, although I don't have a link and don't remember what radio show I heard it on. I would imagine that Campbell would be on a short leash but it sounds like Zorn favors him over Brennan. Either way I hear Devin Thomas has looked good and may supplant Randle El as the #2 guy and move Antwaan to slot.

Campbell also had the best attempt/int ratio in the league last year, and rarely turns the ball over.

The guy is not a fantasy star, never will be.

He will be a Chad Pennington type of QB for his entire career. Teams that have him will try to replace him, but he'll always find a way into the starting line-up.

It doesn't help that minus Portis, his weapons (particularly down-field) are average.

Campbell also had the best attempt/int ratio in the league last year, and rarely turns the ball over.

The guy is not a fantasy star, never will be.

He will be a Chad Pennington type of QB for his entire career. Teams that have him will try to replace him, but he'll always find a way into the starting line-up.

It doesn't help that minus Portis, his weapons (particularly down-field) are average.

I'll admit (as a Steelers fan) that Randle El leaves much to be desired as a WR, but Santana Moss is a quality WR with downfield speed and Devin Thomas/Malcolm Kelly are a really good young WR tandem, not to mention Cooley. He's got a good offensive line, a decent defense and what I call good options at the wideout spots...i think this is on Campbell, particularly in light of the rumors of the scaled down playbook.

I'll admit (as a Steelers fan) that Randle El leaves much to be desired as a WR, but Santana Moss is a quality WR with downfield speed and Devin Thomas/Malcolm Kelly are a really good young WR tandem, not to mention Cooley. He's got a good offensive line, a decent defense and what I call good options at the wideout spots...i think this is on Campbell, particularly in light of the rumors of the scaled down playbook.

Can't calssify Thomas and Kelly as anything. Good/Bad/Great....who knows. They have done nothing.

And the O-line has been mediocre.

And the defense has been top 5 to 10 for a while now.

Just to give you the homer scoop.

In the one preseason game last year that I saw with Colt Brennan, he really impressed me. I drafted him in my dynasty league and will hang on to him until he shows he CAN'T produce in the NFL. At some point he will get his shot and he seems to have the savvy to get it done.

:thumbsup:

In the one preseason game last year that I saw with Colt Brennan, he really impressed me. I drafted him in my dynasty league and will hang on to him until he shows he CAN'T produce in the NFL. At some point he will get his shot and he seems to have the savvy to get it done.

:overhead:

i think the knock(s) on Brennan are #1 - Armstrength, #2 - Physical size (he's pretty scrawny if i remember) and #3 - the system he came from typically means slow transition to pro-style offense. his hc at hawaii swears that he was the most gifted qb he's seen...

I'm a Steelers fan as well, so I know how dangerous Randle El can be in the slot, unfortunately he's been lined up on the outside the majority of his time in DC.

The young WRs have potential, but did not even qualify to earn a grade last season. We are judging on Campbell's previous performances so those guys are not factors here.

Average o-line.

Cooley is solid in the short-intermediate routes

Moss is solid but has slowed down, isn't the deep threat he was. Still productive.

All those weapons lead to what Jason Campbell is. Decent, average, doesn't turn the ball over. Completed over 60% of passes so in the top half of QBs. Best int/attempt ratio. He hits on the short to intermediate, but doesn't have the playmakers down field to help him stretch the field. As a result the team struggles to move the ball, particularly in the redzone.

Give him a top notch WR and he is a good NFL QB. With the talent he has around him he's still servicable IMO.

i think the knock(s) on Brennan are #1 - Armstrength, #2 - Physical size (he's pretty scrawny if i remember) and #3 - the system he came from typically means slow transition to pro-style offense. his hc at hawaii swears that he was the most gifted qb he's seen...

He looked spot on in the one game I saw last preseason. He is scrawny, armstrength didn't seem so bad, but he wasn't intimidated by the offense. He reminded me of Kurt Warner with his accuracy, I would say that is his upside.

:doublethumbsup:

He looked spot on in the one game I saw last preseason. He is scrawny, armstrength didn't seem so bad, but he wasn't intimidated by the offense. He reminded me of Kurt Warner with his accuracy, I would say that is his upside.

:argue:

i watched a bit of his games in college and came away impressed with his command of the offense. I haven't seen that same side of Jason Campbell in his games as skins QB.

I always heard as an SEC fan that the knock on Campbell was that he wasn't very bright, and that they had to greatly simplify the offense for him at auburn, to the point where it was basically a high school offense.

He didn't do jack for three years, then all of a sudden has a great year, mainly because teams had to account for Caddy and Ronne, and then goes in the first round?

I never have bought him as a legit NFL QB, and from what the Skins homers are saying, it seems like I was right.

I always heard as an SEC fan that the knock on Campbell was that he wasn't very bright, and that they had to greatly simplify the offense for him at auburn, to the point where it was basically a high school offense.

He didn't do jack for three years, then all of a sudden has a great year, mainly because teams had to account for Caddy and Ronne, and then goes in the first round?

I never have bought him as a legit NFL QB, and from what the Skins homers are saying, it seems like I was right.

That makes sense. I mean it's pretty easy to just stand there and bomb it deep when you have 2 legit NFL Rb's in the same backfield taking all the pressure off you.

Spot on. He had one above average year at Auburn and for reasons I can't understand the Skins fell in love with the guy.

He just doesn't see the field and react like an NFL QB. The game will always be too fast for him. Its a shame, because all reports are he's a great kid.

Gotta say that I agree with all this. All of my good friends are Redskin fans and they dont wanna hear it but I saw more out of Colt Brennan in 1 preseason game then I have seen out of Campbell in his entire NFL career. I think Zorn has a chance to be a good NFL Head Coach but I'm positive he wont get the chance with the Skins if he let's Campbell start all year.Guy is a solid athlete but just is'nt a good QB.

As a Cowboys fan I am very much pro Colt Brennan

As a Redskins fan I am very much pro Tony Romo.

And careful what you wish for. THe Hawaiin gunslinger may get a shot this year. We know what Campbell can do, and its not much.

:wub:

I liked that pick last year. Had my eye on him right where you drafted him too! He would have been a 1st rounder, if not for his off field issues.