Sign in to follow this  
PSUJunny05

MUST Handcuffs

Of the likely RB1-RB2's, who are definite handcuffs and/or what teams are for sure running an RBBC?

Handcuffs, for example:

Addai - Brown

Westbrook - McCoy

RBBC, for example:

Dallas - RBBC

Oakland - RBBC

well, for starters, guys like Stewart or Lendale are NOT handcuffs. Those guys have value in their own right as starting fantasy backs.

Top handcuffs are guys we know should be productive if the starting guy goes down. We have either seen it before or know that the team around them will propel them to be great.

McCoy for Westy

Sproles for LT

C.Taylor for Peterson

Brown for Addai (altho i still think this ends up being a Tennessee or Carolina style split at the very least)

RBBC's... i'll leave this as teams with 3 or more guys who could be good on any given week

NE, Dallas, Oakland, Baltimore

LaDell Betts for Portis.

Betts gets no recognition, but when Portis went down the guy was great.

LaDell Betts for Portis.

Betts gets no recognition, but when Portis went down the guy was great.

Betts is getting old and hasn't done anything since his one big half-season. With the state of the Skins O-line and the terrible surrounding cast, I don't see Betts as a must-have for Portis owners. I'm surprised they didn't draft a young back to start grooming.

I've been a huge Westbrook guy for years, but I'm avoiding him entirely this year due to the presence of McCoy. At 30 (the "running back wall") and with his history of nagging injuries (especially the chronically creaky knee), the writing could be on the wall. I'm not usually a proponent of the "handcuff" philosophy, but I certainly would not make the big investment in Westbrook (he is still going in the top 2 rounds, I'm sure) unless I was assured of getting McCoy to stash on the bench.

Betts is getting old and hasn't done anything since his one big half-season. With the state of the Skins O-line and the terrible surrounding cast, I don't see Betts as a must-have for Portis owners. I'm surprised they didn't draft a young back to start grooming.

Cause Portis is still one of the best RB in the NFL and only 27 years old.