Sign in to follow this  
The Football Guru

JJ has competition....

Profootballtalk.com reports that the Seahawks have released T.J. Duckett.

Duckett wasn't worth his $2M salary, but the move is surprising after Seattle paid him a $2.5M bonus this offseason. Paying Duckett, then cutting him for 31-year-old Edgerrin James is another in a long line of GM Tim Ruskell's forgettable moves. Duckett was also easily the club's best short-yardage option. James, Julius Jones, and camp star Justin Forsett are left to battle for touches. It remains to be seen which back will get goal-line carries.

I see JJ as a change of pace back. Edge will be the starter, get the majority of the snaps, short yardage/goaline. Edge is a much better pass blocker than anyone the Seahawks had.

So where do you guys rank them now? Should Edge rank ahead of Jones? Does this kill any value Jones had?

Edge was on the FA market all this time, yet he is so good. You people are funny.

Edge is a has been that was brought in as a back up and will take Ducketts carries. I don't see JJ losing anymore carries than he already was with Duckett. The only thing to change is to take TJ off your cheatsheet in TD heavy leagues.

Edge was on the FA market all this time, yet he is so good. You people are funny.

Edge is a has been that was brought in as a back up and will take Ducketts carries. I don't see JJ losing anymore carries than he already was with Duckett. The only thing to change is to take TJ off your cheatsheet in TD heavy leagues.

So Edge isn't good, but Jones is? At least Edge is a has-been. Jones is a never-really-was. Even so, I think Edge kinda got screwed over last year. He showed in the playoffs that he could still play a little bit.

So Edge isn't good, but Jones is? At least Edge is a has-been. Jones is a never-really-was. Even so, I think Edge kinda got screwed over last year. He showed in the playoffs that he could still play a little bit.

Edge in his prime >> Julius Jones now :banana:

But Edge isn't in his prime. He's 31 which is like 61 in RB dog years. And he's not a fresh 31, he was a workhorse for years that has over 3000 career rushes. That is the kiss of death for a RB trying to play on as he gets older. He hasn't averaged over 4 yards per carry in 3 years. This isn't rocket science. I know you get caught up in the name value, but come on.

Julius Jones is in his 5th year and has only 1000 carries on the odometer. Sure he will never be as good as Edge was in his prime, but that's not what we are talking here. Julius is the best RB the Seahawks have on their roster. Mora like to run the ball.

Now if the team kept TJ Duckett AND added Edge I would be worried JJ would lose carries. But since they released Duckett all I see is that Edge is taking Ducketts back up role and carries only.

I think that Edge has been done for at least a full year now. He stepped up during the playoffs for a game or two after having some time on the bench.

I just dont think he can take the pounding anymore. he is going to go in to give JJ a rest now & again, but I cannot see him taking a significant amount of carries from Julius.

Neither is worth anything. Jones is gutless. Edge no longer has any skill set. And their O-line is decimated.

An earlier poster was right about his pass blocking. That alone may get edge on the field, as this team is going to have to throw the ball a lot.

Edge in his prime >> Julius Jones now :thumbsup:

But Edge isn't in his prime. He's 31 which is like 61 in RB dog years. And he's not a fresh 31, he was a workhorse for years that has over 3000 career rushes. That is the kiss of death for a RB trying to play on as he gets older. He hasn't averaged over 4 yards per carry in 3 years. This isn't rocket science. I know you get caught up in the name value, but come on.

Julius Jones is in his 5th year and has only 1000 carries on the odometer. Sure he will never be as good as Edge was in his prime, but that's not what we are talking here. Julius is the best RB the Seahawks have on their roster. Mora like to run the ball.

Now if the team kept TJ Duckett AND added Edge I would be worried JJ would lose carries. But since they released Duckett all I see is that Edge is taking Ducketts back up role and carries only.

TJ was to be the short yard / GL back this year... Edge takes himself out of the games in these situations. Not sure what to make of this move but Edge in the role TJ was to have this season just doesn't add up.

Edge is a good receiver out of the back field.they have 3 RB'S who can catch the ball. they do not need a slow fat ass 2 yd plunger.Im tired of hearing about the goal line back.If you cant score inside the 5 you should not be in the NFL.Mora is looking for speed and guys that can catch the ball.Edge is a good blocker , receiver and still has enough to be a 1000yd starter or a quality back up.If Walter is done it will not matter who the starter is.I think mora knows that walter and his o. Line are trashed and he will air it out and needs a good receiving back who can block and protect the QB that is why they signed edge.

Tim Ruskell must have been Edgerin James in a past life (like when Edge was a good runningback). That's the only way that him signing him to the Seahawks makes sense. I think.

Julius Jones, RB SEA

News: Edgerrin James signed with Seattle in an effort to revitalize his career, but he won't be competing for a starting job. That spot belongs to Julius Jones, according to head coach Jim Mora, and it won't change. "The fact is [James] is going to be a complementary back to Julius. Julius is going to be our workhorse, our lead dog," Mora said. "I told [Jones], 'I just want you to know that [James' signing] is not going to change your role on this football team. You're the guy we're going to give the ball to and take it and run.'"

Just what I thought. Julius may be a little under-rated this season. Nobody is gonna compare him to Gale Sayers or anything, but didn't Mora coach the Falcons when they were the League leaders in Rushing a few years ago? He likes to use his RB. I can see where JJ gets close to 300 carries. Even if JJ only averages 3.8 to 4 yards a pop that is close to 1200 yards. Sprinke in some TD's and catches and that is not to shabby. :pointstosky: