Sign in to follow this  
Bouve

***NFL Betting Thread Week 1***

I preach this, I'm glad to see it in your post. The problem I have with trends is also the use of time frames. This specific one we're discussing is since 1994. What about favorites of more than 8.5 before 1994? How did they do? If I'm going to see a trend I'll put some faith in, it will be one that looks at the whole picture. I understand the game changes, so what's to say that this won't be another year that we see a change and these teams go 4-0 this weekend? I'll agree that I'm a bit quick to write off all trends, but I certainly believe that a majority of them are not going to help you win.

I would love to know how it went before 1994, but unfortunately my database only goes back that far! I am a numbers guy, and so this year I have decided to apply them to my NFL handicapping, and will see how it goes. The nice thing about it is that it takes emotion completely out of it. For instance, I am a Chargers homer, and no way would I ever bet the Raiders against them, but I just may on Monday because of the trend. Whether I do or don't, the problem is that normally there is no way I would because of emotion, and that is something I want to take out of my wagering. When I spotted the trend for this week,I had no idea what teams were favored by that much, so no emotion was involved.

I will be analyzing and posting all year, we'll see how it goes. It will be a first for me to wager solely on trends.

I would love to know how it went before 1994, but unfortunately my database only goes back that far! I am a numbers guy, and so this year I have decided to apply them to my NFL handicapping, and will see how it goes. The nice thing about it is that it takes emotion completely out of it. For instance, I am a Chargers homer, and no way would I ever bet the Raiders against them, but I just may on Monday because of the trend. Whether I do or don't, the problem is that normally there is no way I would because of emotion, and that is something I want to take out of my wagering. When I spotted the trend for this week,I had no idea what teams were favored by that much, so no emotion was involved.

I will be analyzing and posting all year, we'll see how it goes. It will be a first for me to wager solely on trends.

Well I'm glad we have someone like you doing this to be honest. In my experience, trends tell stories of things that happened in the past, but usually hit right around .500 when you track them going forward. I will wish you the best here, I'd be happy to be proven wrong and to see that the right trends can be applied to help people profit. In this business, we need every weapon at our disposal that we can get. Good luck!

Heh, no trend has a chance of overcoming the "Al Davis" effect!!

San Diego rolls in yet another laugher in this rivalry.

I got:

Minnesota -4 2 units

San Diego -9 2.5 units

New England -10 1/2 1.5 units

I wasn't able to post in time but I won 1 unit on Tennessee +6 1/2 last night

Week 1 Plays:

* San Francisco 49ers +6

I've seen absolutely nothing out of the Arizona first string offense or defense this preseason to give me a good feeling about them heading into the season, and SF always seems to play Arizona tough. Last season when SF played in Arizona they nearly stole one outright, having a chance at a touchdown in the final seconds to win it. They squandered the opportunity with poor clock management, but all the pieces are still there for them to do it again. Had this game been played last season, when Arizona was clicking, my system still would have picked SF +6. I think that Arizona is faltering right now, and SF is on the rise compared to last year, making this pick that much sweeter. I wouldn't be surprised to see SF win this game, but I'll take them at +6 and expect at least the cover.

* Atlanta Falcons -4

Atlanta is just a different team when they play at home. They had their fair share of struggles on the road last year, but they scored almost 10 ppg more at home, with an average margin of victory of 10 pts. Atlanta has looked spectacular all preseason, and although Miami was a pretty good road team, I think they're much more likely to take a step back this year. I'll count on Atlanta to win this game by a TD or more and cover.

* Arizona/SF UNDER 46

This pick goes along with some of my comments in the SF pick. Arizona's offense is not looking good, and the possibility that Boldin sits out makes this play look that much sweeter. SF is a run first team, and should try to attack with Gore and wind some clock to keep Warner off the field. Also, you can bet they'll look to take Warner's weapons away and force Arizona to come out and beat the with the run. In order for this total to go over, you figure we'd have to see 6 tds and a couple field goals between the two teams. I'd be shocked if these teams found the end zone 6 combined times, so I think the under is the obvious play.

* Green Bay Packers -4

The Packers have looked very impressive this preseason, with every aspect of their game looking great. Although the Bears finally have a capable QB at the helm, he still doesn't have anybody to throw the ball to. The Bears' defense is also quite overrated in my opinion, and simply will not be able to handle Green Bay's passing attack. This game could get pretty high scoring, and the Bears won't be able to keep up.

* New Orleans Saints -13.5

Although I'm a bit hesitant to take such a large favorite, all the signs point to a Saints blowout win. Last season the Saints absolutely pounded Detroit when they played them, and should have no problem solving the defense again. The only question that I have is whether or not Detroit can keep up with the Saints' scoring. With Stafford getting the start, he should be able to give the Lions some life on offense. However, one could argue that he didn't have a single great preseason game, and I like the chances of the Saints picking off a pass or two. With those kinds of mistakes and the New Orleans' improved defense, I see a blowout victory.

* Saints/Lions OVER 48

This pick serves a couple of purposes. First of all, I think there is a good chance that we see a 38-20 type of game and the total goes over easily. I have no doubt in my mind that the Saints will put up points on their end, the question is whether or not the Lions will be able to score as well. In my mind, if the total were to go under it would be because of the Lions' short comings, and the Saints -13.5 bet should have been a winner. If the total were to go over, the Lions put up their share of points then, and they may have covered the spread. I can't see the combination of this over and the Saints -13.5 bet doing any worse than going 1-1, I'll gladly eat the juice if that happens. I think the smart play here is to take the over as well, and you're looking at a good chance of both plays winning, with a worst case scenario of 1 losing.

Good luck Week 1 everyone!!!

Overall NCAA YTD: 37-21; +26.55 units

Subset: 5 unit plays or higher: 16-14; -7.7 units

Overall NFL YTD: 1-0; +2.0 units

Sunday

All for 2 units unless indicated otherwise.

Atlanta (-3.5)@-114 WINNER

Carolina (+1)@+114 LOSER

Cincinnati (-4.5)@-111 for 3 units LOSER

Cleveland (+4)@-110 LOSER

Houston (-4)@-108 LOSER

Tampa Bay (+5.5)@-111 LOSER

San Francisco (+6)@-109 WINNER

Washington (+7)@-109 WINNER

Adding: Seattle (-6.5)@-112 for 5 units WINNER

Edit:

Overall NFL YTD: 5-5; +1.09 units

NFL YTD 1-1 - 1 unit

Steven Jackson (Rams) Total Receptions - Must Play Over 3.5 (-155)

Chris Cooley (Redskins) Total Receptions - Must Play Under 4.5 (-105)

Frank Gore (49ers) Total Rushing Yards - Must Play Over 78.5 (-115)

Dallas Clark (Colts) Will He Score a Touchdown - Must Play Yes +160

Michael Turner (Falcons) Total Rushing Attempts - Must Play Under 22.5 (-130)

Chad Pennington (Dolphins) Total Pass Attempts - Must Play Over 30.5 (-120)

Andre Johnson (Texans) Total Receiving Yards - Must Play Under 98.5 (-115)

Steve Slaton (Texans) Total Rushing + Receiving Yards - Must Play Under 102.5 (-115)

Adrian Peterson (Vikings) Will He Score a Touchdown - Must Play Yes (-180) Winner

Jake Delhomme (Panthers) Total Pass Attempts - Must Play Over 28.5 (-115) 2 unitsLoser wow what a focking loser he is

Brian Westbrook (Eagles) Total Rushing + Receiving Yards - Must Play Over 88.5 (-115)

Donovan McNabb (Eagles) Total Passing Yards - Must Play Over 243.5 (-115) Loser Body Bag

Todd Heap (Ravens) Total Receptions - Must Play Over 2.5 (-130) Winner

Drew Brees (Saints) Total Touchdown Passes - Must Play Over 1.5 (-230) Winner

Adding Sunday Night game

Ryan Grant (Packers) Total Rushing Attempts - Must Play Over 20 (even)

Aaron Rodgers (Packers) Total Completions - Must Play Over 21.5 (-140)

Matt Forte (Bears) Total Rushing Yards - Must Play Over 75.5 (-125)

i think ill keep track this year (until i ###### up).

2units:

Jax +7

Cincy -5

1 unit:

Atlanta -4

Tampa +5

Wash +7 -120

GBP -4

Gl all

NFL: 1-1 -.5 units

Props: 0-0

Parlay: 0-0

Teasers: 0-0

New Orleans -13.5 (115) 2 units

New Orleans O31.5 1 unit

Minnesota -4 1 unit

Minnesota O22 1 unit

Miami +4 1 unit

Miami O20 1 unit

Houston -4 1 unit

Teaser #1:

Baltimore -6

Carolina +10

Minnesota +3

New Orleans -7

Miami +11

1 unit to win 3.5 units.

Teaser #2:

San Francisco +12.5

Washington +13.5

St Louis +14.5

Green Bay +2.5

San Diego -3

1 unit to win 3.5 units.

Good Luck :music_guitarred:

Tonights Action:

Green Bay O24.5 4 units

Green Bay -5 2 units

Green Bay -3 1st half 1 unit

Green Bay/Chicago O46 2 units

:headbanger:

2nd half Chicago Bears EVEN 10 units WINNER

I'm thinking Cutler can't play any worse. It seems like the Chicago defense is holding pretty well. The one touchdown on a defensive interception, then Ryan Grant runs in seemed cheap.

6-0 to start the season, I'd like to thank the Packers for the lucky cover. I'm sure breaks like that will even out along the way, but nice to have one go for me. I may have a play for tomorrow, I haven't decided yet. I'll post it up tomorrow afternoon if I decide on something!

Rough 2 weeks in NCAA and a rough week 1 in NFL. I am all in tonight on the following, double up or re-load time.

New England -7 1st half 10 units

New England TT O28.5 10 units

:doublethumbsup:

After some consideration I've decided I will not be making any plays on tonight's games. I have absolutely no read on the Oakland vs. San Diego game, so obviously that's one I'm staying away from. The other game, Patriots vs. Bills, is a much tougher one for me to avoid. Over 47 is a very tempting play for me, but I just don't feel like I know enough about these teams yet to go ahead and make it a play. In the end, I just have too many unanswered questions so I'm going to pack in the 6-0 week and get ready for next weekend!

As a Bills "homer" I would not put any money on the Bills with all those points or the over in this game. Sure Pats may score 38 but who knows what the Bills will do. I could be totally wrong and the Bills could keep it close enough to score a garbage TD and cover, but the O-Line sucks, Trent Edwards has looked bad, and the D doesn't matchup well with NE.

I'm staying away from both games.

I got your unit right here

Parlay

Vikings -4 W

Packers -3.5 W

Chargers -9

Week 1 Plays:

* San Francisco 49ers +6

I've seen absolutely nothing out of the Arizona first string offense or defense this preseason to give me a good feeling about them heading into the season, and SF always seems to play Arizona tough. Last season when SF played in Arizona they nearly stole one outright, having a chance at a touchdown in the final seconds to win it. They squandered the opportunity with poor clock management, but all the pieces are still there for them to do it again. Had this game been played last season, when Arizona was clicking, my system still would have picked SF +6. I think that Arizona is faltering right now, and SF is on the rise compared to last year, making this pick that much sweeter. I wouldn't be surprised to see SF win this game, but I'll take them at +6 and expect at least the cover.

* Atlanta Falcons -4

Atlanta is just a different team when they play at home. They had their fair share of struggles on the road last year, but they scored almost 10 ppg more at home, with an average margin of victory of 10 pts. Atlanta has looked spectacular all preseason, and although Miami was a pretty good road team, I think they're much more likely to take a step back this year. I'll count on Atlanta to win this game by a TD or more and cover.

* Arizona/SF UNDER 46

This pick goes along with some of my comments in the SF pick. Arizona's offense is not looking good, and the possibility that Boldin sits out makes this play look that much sweeter. SF is a run first team, and should try to attack with Gore and wind some clock to keep Warner off the field. Also, you can bet they'll look to take Warner's weapons away and force Arizona to come out and beat the with the run. In order for this total to go over, you figure we'd have to see 6 tds and a couple field goals between the two teams. I'd be shocked if these teams found the end zone 6 combined times, so I think the under is the obvious play.

* Green Bay Packers -4

The Packers have looked very impressive this preseason, with every aspect of their game looking great. Although the Bears finally have a capable QB at the helm, he still doesn't have anybody to throw the ball to. The Bears' defense is also quite overrated in my opinion, and simply will not be able to handle Green Bay's passing attack. This game could get pretty high scoring, and the Bears won't be able to keep up.

* New Orleans Saints -13.5

Although I'm a bit hesitant to take such a large favorite, all the signs point to a Saints blowout win. Last season the Saints absolutely pounded Detroit when they played them, and should have no problem solving the defense again. The only question that I have is whether or not Detroit can keep up with the Saints' scoring. With Stafford getting the start, he should be able to give the Lions some life on offense. However, one could argue that he didn't have a single great preseason game, and I like the chances of the Saints picking off a pass or two. With those kinds of mistakes and the New Orleans' improved defense, I see a blowout victory.

* Saints/Lions OVER 48

This pick serves a couple of purposes. First of all, I think there is a good chance that we see a 38-20 type of game and the total goes over easily. I have no doubt in my mind that the Saints will put up points on their end, the question is whether or not the Lions will be able to score as well. In my mind, if the total were to go under it would be because of the Lions' short comings, and the Saints -13.5 bet should have been a winner. If the total were to go over, the Lions put up their share of points then, and they may have covered the spread. I can't see the combination of this over and the Saints -13.5 bet doing any worse than going 1-1, I'll gladly eat the juice if that happens. I think the smart play here is to take the over as well, and you're looking at a good chance of both plays winning, with a worst case scenario of 1 losing.

Good luck Week 1 everyone!!!

Impressive :unsure:

NFL YTD UGLY 6-12 -7.68 Units :doublethumbsup:

Wes Welker (Patriots) Total Receiving Yards - Must Play Over 78.5 (even)

Tom Brady (Patriots) Longest Completion - Must Play Over 42.5 (-115)

Tom Brady (Patriots) Total Touchdown Passes - Must Play Over 2.5 (-125)

Bills - Will They Ever Have The Lead vs the Patriots No -110

Rough 2 weeks in NCAA and a rough week 1 in NFL. I am all in tonight on the following, double up or re-load time.

New England -7 1st half 10 units

New England TT O28.5 10 units

:doublethumbsup:

It'd be kind of nice to lower that New England total by one point. They should score 31 or more but it's nice to have a cusion. Hard to say with NE -7 in the first half. I think I'll wait until halftime and see if something looks good. My intitial instinct on the sides is that one dog covers and one favorite covers on tonight's games. Or if you only want to make a percentage on your money, parlaying both moneylines looks like a sure thing.

Good luck

lines seem to be moving=>

Buffalo @ New England -13.5, total 48

San Diego @ Oakland +10, total 42.5

No patience here...

I was going to wait until half time, but I think I'll go with Buffalo +7.5 for the 1st half. I'm banking on the fact that New England's defense in fantasy football last year ranked only 20th and Buffalo's was only 2 behind it at 22nd. With Owens in the mix, trying to show up Moss, I think Buffalo surprises people here.

1st Half Buffalo +7.5, 5 units WINNER

Good luck to all the Patriots backers. I saw one guy who had the Bills first half, may not be an awful bet, Pats could easily start slow. As for the whole game though, I think if you have to be on a side, the Pats side is the safest to be on

Overall NFL YTD: 5-5; +1.09 units

Monday

Buffalo (+13)@-105 for 3 units WINNER

Edit:

Overall NFL YTD: 6-5; +4.09 units

Philly please post earlier

I got home 30 minutes prior to kick off, and the site was moving slower than molasses in a freezer by the time I got the post up.

Edit: I actually didn't decide on Buffalo until I saw the final line. Much like adding Seattle yesterday about 15 minutes prior to kickoff when I saw Seattle dip down to 6.5. I'll try to be much punctual.

the halftime line has moved from Buffalo +8.5 to Buffalo +9.5. This is crazy. Everybody likes New England to win by at least one touchdown. I'm going to lay low until possibly the 4th quarter. I'm looking to get something where New England only has to win even up.

The number is at 24 for the 2nd half, so nothing special there. So, I'm passing at this point until the 4th quarter.

I can't find a place where I could make a 4th quarter bet on this game. So, I guess I'm done with this game.

In doing a little research, since 1994 teams favored by 8.5 or more have gone 7-20 against the spread on the first weekend, including 0-3 last year (NE-KC, Indy-Chi, SD-Car), so with that in mind, I am taking all of the big dogs.

Kansas City vs Baltimore -13

Detroit vs New Orleans -13

St Louis vs Seattle -9

Buffalo vs New England -10.5

San Diego -9 vs Oakland

Well, the trends took me to 2-2, with a real unfortunate loss on KC. St. Louis was thrown out as that line dropped well under 8.5.

Let's get 'em next week!

Philadelphia -1 At Carolina 43 for 1 unit

Minnesota -4 At Cleveland 40 for 1 unit

At Houston -4.5 NY Jets 43 for 1 unit

At Green Bay -3.5 Chicago 46 for 2 units

At New England -10.5 Buffalo over 47.5 for 6 units

San Diego -9.5 At Oakland 43 for 1 unit

4-2 for 8 units :thumbsup: