Sign in to follow this  
BunnysBastatrds

Having My Main Draft Tonight

Tonight is my main draft. We had to have it this late due to conflicting schedules. We will not have the game on tonight while we are drafting and anyone who selects a player from Tenn or Pitt will have to declare if that player will be starting this week, once they are drafted. This league has been around a very long time and I believe every team will play honest. With that, I am going to ask that every team play by the honor system when it comes to using their cell phones and blackberries. Don't use them to get the score or get an injury reort during the draft. I think that not knowing the score and the possibilty of not drafting a player, if there is an injury, keeps it fair. I was thinking of asking each manager to turn their phones off, but I don't see that happening. Any thoughts?

Tonight is my main draft. We had to have it this late due to conflicting schedules. We will not have the game on tonight while we are drafting and anyone who selects a player from Tenn or Pitt will have to declare if that player will be starting this week, once they are drafted. This league has been around a very long time and I believe every team will play honest. With that, I am going to ask that every team play by the honor system when it comes to using their cell phones and blackberries. Don't use them to get the score or get an injury reort during the draft. I think that not knowing the score and the possibilty of not drafting a player, if there is an injury, keeps it fair. I was thinking of asking each manager to turn their phones off, but I don't see that happening. Any thoughts?

what the........be vary suspicious of the ones who keep going to the bathroom :unsure:

if i was in your league i would be pissed we couldnt watch game. id turn game on maybe someone will take BIG BEN in 3rd round after he throws a TD?????

We have drafted during the Thursday game the past couple of years, it is no big deal to have the game on. It just may increase or decrease someone's value, but it doesn't much matter as it is a long season. I suggest you just put the game on so everyone has equal access to the info as it is happening.

Kind of tough here. I lean towards having the game on, but I would just not allow any players in the game to be started. I think if you want them to have the possibility to start...then no TV/or cells. Does no one use a laptop in your league? If they do..then no laptops....provided there was wireless access anyway.

Oh....DRAFT FREAKING EARLIER NEXT YEAR! I kid a bit as I just had our draft last night do to the same kind of issues.

what the........be vary suspicious of the ones who keep going to the bathroom :overhead:

if i was in your league i would be pissed we couldnt watch game. id turn game on maybe someone will take BIG BEN in 3rd round after he throws a TD?????

It's not about what the players who are going to get drafted from these teams points are tonight. It's the possibillity of injury to them. If we are watching the game and Big Ben goes down with a knee injury early on? Even though we didn't have our draft before tonight, I'd like to play it as if we did.

It's not about what the players who are going to get drafted from these teams points are tonight. It's the possibillity of injury to them. If we are watching the game and Big Ben goes down with a knee injury early on? Even though we didn't have our draft before tonight, I'd like to play it as if we did.

Well depending on what time you start your draft, the majority of players involved in this game will still be on the board and the game will probably be close to over so you should not have much to worry about :thumbsup:

Well depending on what time you start your draft, the majority of players involved in this game will still be on the board and the game will probably be close to over so you should not have much to worry about :thumbsup:

Watch the game!

So....lemme see if I get this right, you don't care if someone sees Ben throw for an 80 yarder and they get the points, but you want someone to draft Ben after he goes out for the year with a knee injury and his team is screwed?

Nice, real nice.

So....lemme see if I get this right, you don't care if someone sees Ben throw for an 80 yarder and they get the points, but you want someone to draft Ben after he goes out for the year with a knee injury and his team is screwed?

Nice, real nice.

YUP :) very good point

if Lendale White runs for 289 yards and 5 TDs tonight he may get picked in 2nd round :thumbsup:

atleast you would know you won week 1 ;)

you either have the game on or no one gets to use any cells OR gets to leave the room.

Nice, real nice.

When did you have your draft? Before tonight. I don't want to see anybody get hurt or go out for the year. But if it does, it's done. Just as if you picked said player before tonight. That sucks, but its done. I'll bet every Brady owner last year would have loved to know that he was going to be out after game one when they drafted him. They wouldn't have. And that's my point. There is an edge having your draft on the night of the first game, even if its only two teams playing. Some in our league want to eliminate that edge, and draft not knowing anything about the game. The best way is to not show the game and no cheating. I'm sure there will be a vote on it, and having the game on will more than likely be voted down.

Thanks for the thoughts.

To me... it should not even be up for debate. If the player taken is a player projected to be a starter on the team that takes him... then that player should automatically have to start. If it's a back-up, then he's a back-up and can't start.

Examples:

Chris Johnson is an automatic starter.

If Rothlisburger was a team's first QB taken.. he's the starter. If he's not, then he's not.

If Hines Ward or Santonio Holmes is the 2nd WR taken on any team, then the team who takes him has to start him (assuming you start two WR's).

Now if people want to cheat... that's fine, but if they pick Rothlisburger as their starter just because he is playing tonight, they cheated and saw he has a couple of TD's... then fine, they'll have to live with that choice as a starter for a full season.

no tv, no radio, no cells. cells get checked in at the door or keep them in the car. if someone brings a laptop, have fun trying to police that.

This thread strikes me as one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

No way in he** any of those players should be eligible to start this week. I can't imagine what set of ridiculousness put the draft this late, but I'll just assume you guys play in way too many leagues, and lack the ability to prioritize.

Put the game on, but don't let any of the players start.

I dont know about u guys but we plan our draft months in advance and have guys fly into town. No chance anyone is missing the first game of the season!

First of all plan better, no way in hell that you could not have scheduled the draft before game night!!! C'mon people!! :pointstosky:

Four years ago we had our draft scheduled for 8/28/05 here in New Orleans.......a little biotch named Katrina had other ideas. Amazingly, we were able to pull off the draft but weren't able to do it until the Saturday AFTER the thurs. opener. With more than half our league spread around the country 4 of us met in Lake Charles La........and with phones and lap tops somehow conducted a 15 round draft.......the fact that season already started was an afterthought.

This thread strikes me as one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

No way in he** any of those players should be eligible to start this week. I can't imagine what set of ridiculousness put the draft this late, but I'll just assume you guys play in way too many leagues, and lack the ability to prioritize.

Put the game on, but don't let any of the players start.

I would of agreed with this. Besides Chris Johnson, its not like any players in the game would of went before the 5th or 6th round anyways. Its just another wrinkle to the draft. If you want to bump a few Steelers and Titans down a few spots, then soo be it. If you draft Chris Johnson in the 2nd round well then you just make sure you have a decent backup for this week. He was a terrible start against the Steelers anyways. But no one in the game should of started in a fantasy roster this week. Then you can watch the game and enjoy it and not worry as much about the fantasy implications yet.

Four years ago we had our draft scheduled for 8/28/05 here in New Orleans.......a little biotch named Katrina had other ideas. Amazingly, we were able to pull off the draft but weren't able to do it until the Saturday AFTER the thurs. opener. With more than half our league spread around the country 4 of us met in Lake Charles La........and with phones and lap tops somehow conducted a 15 round draft.......the fact that season already started was an afterthought.

We had our draft scheduled for 9-1-05 here in New Orleans. And that big b!tch prevented us from having our draft. The fact that you were able to pull off having a draft is amazing. There were a few of us that wanted to do something, but it never happend. CBS didn't even credit us for the following year.

First of all plan better, no way in hell that you could not have scheduled the draft before game night!!! C'mon people!! :shocking:

Our league has done this for as long as I can remember. Everyone is out of town during Labor Day week and weekend with their families. And doing it earlier than that makes a lot of the owners uneasy about preseason injuries. It doesn't happen, but the" What if?" argument comes up every year.

We turned off the game and nobody really cared. Most thought it would be a distraction and everyone wanted to focus on drafting. And most had it TIVO'd anyway. We had one owner who co-owns a team and his partner had the flu. He was on the phone a few times asking for advice. He picked up C Johnson in the first round and said he would not draft another player from either team after that. Everyone else played by the rules. If you drafted a player from either team, you had to declare right then if he was starting or not. It all worked out fine. I ended up having a sh!tty draft anyway. I took way to many chances. Oh well.

Our league has done this for as long as I can remember. Everyone is out of town during Labor Day week and weekend with their families. And doing it earlier than that makes a lot of the owners uneasy about preseason injuries. It doesn't happen, but the" What if?" argument comes up every year.

We turned off the game and nobody really cared. Most thought it would be a distraction and everyone wanted to focus on drafting. And most had it TIVO'd anyway. We had one owner who co-owns a team and his partner had the flu. He was on the phone a few times asking for advice. He picked up C Johnson in the first round and said he would not draft another player from either team after that. Everyone else played by the rules. If you drafted a player from either team, you had to declare right then if he was starting or not. It all worked out fine. I ended up having a sh!tty draft anyway. I took way to many chances. Oh well.

Well now I'm confused ... you say you do this EVERY year ... but originally ask what to do about cell phones ... did you guys not have cell phones in 2008? What did you do then? Did it work? Great, do that! Oh, didn't work .. well, do the opposite!

:shocking:

To me... it should not even be up for debate. If the player taken is a player projected to be a starter on the team that takes him... then that player should automatically have to start. If it's a back-up, then he's a back-up and can't start.

Examples:

Chris Johnson is an automatic starter.

If Rothlisburger was a team's first QB taken.. he's the starter. If he's not, then he's not.

If Hines Ward or Santonio Holmes is the 2nd WR taken on any team, then the team who takes him has to start him (assuming you start two WR's).

Now if people want to cheat... that's fine, but if they pick Rothlisburger as their starter just because he is playing tonight, they cheated and saw he has a couple of TD's... then fine, they'll have to live with that choice as a starter for a full season.

This is the only post that makes any sense in this thread

My suggestion is find a better league. You guys are missing the opening game of the season? Are you in this league with 11 other women that don't watch football? Draft on Monday at the end of pre season like every other hetero sexual male and watch the season opener!

You win the automatic tool of the year award for posting this! :thumbsdown: :thumbsup: :dunno: Congrats man enjoy it!

Therook