Sign in to follow this  
plasma george

OMG, why are we not talking about this

The hit was legit period, and a good one at that. Anyone that calls this hit late and/or cheap hasn't played football. It's only a matter of time before the NFL becomes two hand touch.

A defenseless WR? Come on man...

The hit was legit period, and a good one at that. Anyone that calls this hit late and/or cheap hasn't played football. It's only a matter of time before the NFL becomes two hand touch.

X

You guys are pathetic. It was a legal hit, Chad himself made a comment that Goodell shouldn't hand a fine down and that he was totally fine with the hit.

Geez, put a skirt on :overhead:

Ray Nitch, Butkus, Deacon Jones all laugh at this pussified league.

I couldn't agree more.

That hit used to be the norm in the NFL just 20 years ago. Think Ronnie Lott, Steve Atwater and Chuck Cecil didn't smile and remember the good ol days when they saw that? Hell, I remember trying to do that to guys when I was in junior high.

Goodell should bring back leg-whips, horse collar tackles, free shots on the qb, chop blocks, clothes lines and get rid of intentional grounding, forward progess, and the helmet. :music_guitarred:

I got a little worked up. sorry.

Goodell should bring back leg-whips, horse collar tackles, free shots on the qb, chop blocks, clothes lines and get rid of intentional grounding, forward progess, and the helmet. :overhead:

and players can retire from the league to find themselves doin' the "Ali shake" for the rest of their lives, if they don't blow their head off from depression al Andre "Dirty" Waters.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2734941

and players can retire from the league to find themselves doin' the "Ali shake" for the rest of their lives, if they don't blow their head off from depression al Andre "Dirty" Waters.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2734941

The risk these guys take physically and mentally is minimal, the rewards are huge. There is know proof that Waters didn't have a pre-existing condition.

this is a very strong indicator that you're ignorant of physiology and/or the position of WR. 70% of your body weight gets transferred onto your big toe every yime you take a walking step. the percentage is higher when you're sprinting, which is what a WR does for 70 plays a game. a WR almost never backpedals like a OL or CB, or delays like a RB, or scrapes like a LB. there are essentially two motions for a WR--sprinting and cutting. both of these require the player to be on the balls of his feet constantly, increasing stress on the injury. while other positions can compensate to a degree, a WR cannot.

add to that the fact that turf toe is a degenerative injury, that is, playing on it makes it more debilitating, and you can see that it is an incredibly difficult injury for a WR to cope with. if he tries to be a tough guy and play, he's worse the following week. as he continues to play, his performance drops dramatically, and his recovery time lengthens exponentially.

there are many injuries that can be played through, depending upon position. a QB with a broken thumb is in serious trouble, while a LB with the same injury can play quite effectively. for a WR, turf toe is one of the worst chronic injuries. if it is allowed to become severe (such as when a player tries to "tough it out"), it can completely destroy the player's running form, rendering him almost worthless. that's why it is a highly managed injury--play/no play decisions are based less upon the player's ability to go that sunday, and more on the season-long outlook.

ever talk to a physical therapist about turf toe? they readily acknowledge the significance of the injury.

have you done 70 40-yard sprints with a big toe injury? then done it again the next week? and the next?

i doubt it.

Thank you for the laugh sir.

1) you know that i used the term turf toe as an example of a new and emerging injury among NFL players

2) players dont play with injuries that they may have 15-20 years ago

3) i played an entire season with a broken big toe (doubt it all you want)

4) gimme a break

Chad was fine after this play. I commend him for snapping up like he did. Ray Lewis is a model middle linebacker in the NFL. He is violent, intentional, emotional, and a great leader. I doubt there are NFL coaches out there looking at Ray saying ~ That Ray Lewis is so cheap! I would never build a D around a guy like that. The FACT is that the NFL is a violent sport. It always has been and now they want to "reduce injury" because of the money invested into these athletes and the revenue generated by the players. Unfortunately they are ruining the game for real fans who enjoy DEFENSE.

I am going to guess that he is fined $25k :overhead:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/...gets-fined-25k/

Ray Ray gets fined 25K

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 16, 2009 11:33 AM ET

Ray Lewis' late hit on Chad Ochocinco last Sunday may go down as the costliest of the year.

First, the head hunting maneuver cost Baltimore 15 yards and a first down during Cincinnati's game-winning drive Sunday.

Now the league has stepped in and fined Lewis $25,000 according to Chris Mortensen of ESPN.

The risk these guys take physically and mentally is minimal...

Incorrect.

Yes, most are well compensated for the toll taken on their bodies and subsequent years taken off their life. However, many retire and are forever damaged.

And yes, turf toe is real.

I was always one to call out players for not playing with a little toe injury (hell, cut it off and GET OUT THERE), but then it happened to me... freaking debilitating. I could barely walk, let alone run or cut.

BTW, a broken toe is different than turf toe. Turf toe is an injury to the ligaments and bone on the top of the foot. You can tape up a broken toe, there's basically nothing you can do with turf toe except let it heal. 7 years later I can sometimes still feel it when walking backwards.

15-20 years ago, players weren't getting paid millions... they were barely making a living. And if they didn't play, I doubt they got paid.

Incorrect.

Yes, most are well compensated for the toll taken on their bodies and subsequent years taken off their life. However, many retire and are forever damaged.

And yes, turf toe is real.

I was always one to call out players for not playing with a little toe injury (hell, cut it off and GET OUT THERE), but then it happened to me... freaking debilitating. I could barely walk, let alone run or cut.

BTW, a broken toe is different than turf toe. Turf toe is an injury to the ligaments and bone on the top of the foot. You can tape up a broken toe, there's basically nothing you can do with turf toe except let it heal. 7 years later I can sometimes still feel it when walking backwards.

15-20 years ago, players weren't getting paid millions... they were barely making a living. And if they didn't play, I doubt they got paid.

HA!

There are millions of US citizens who take a much bigger risk day in and day out and are not compensated fairly. Think about it, police, firemen, EMTs, the brave men and woman in uniform, many construction trades. These guys play a game and make bank, 15-20 years ago they were still making bank. The guys that go broke in a couple of years failed to plan ahead.

And before you tell me that it could be over in an instant, let me remind you that they all had a chance to get a college degree. Many of them on a full ride scholarship. If they didn't get their degree, they decided not to.

Get a grip on reality, these are billionaires and millionaires, getting rich off of us average joes.

Thank you for the laugh sir.

1) you know that i used the term turf toe as an example of a new and emerging injury among NFL players

2) players dont play with injuries that they may have 15-20 years ago

3) i played an entire season with a broken big toe (doubt it all you want)

4) gimme a break

Chad was fine after this play. I commend him for snapping up like he did. Ray Lewis is a model middle linebacker in the NFL. He is violent, intentional, emotional, and a great leader. I doubt there are NFL coaches out there looking at Ray saying ~ That Ray Lewis is so cheap! I would never build a D around a guy like that. The FACT is that the NFL is a violent sport. It always has been and now they want to "reduce injury" because of the money invested into these athletes and the revenue generated by the players. Unfortunately they are ruining the game for real fans who enjoy DEFENSE.

1) did you play WR?

2) Was your big toe essential for your professional career beyond your high school football days?

I agree with the majority of your points, but I see point #3 as irrelevent information. Congratulations on being a badass though.

Nobody is arguing that NFL players aren't HANDSOMELY paid for what amounts to entertainment. In fact, this country rewards entertainers far more than their actual worth to society.

BTW, the average NFL salary in 1980 was roughly $78k. Hardly worth the life expectancy hit of approximately 20 years, even more for lineman.

My argument was that your statement that "the risk these guys take physically and mentally is minimal" is complete and utter B.S.

You get a grip please.

A defenseless WR? Come on man...

I agree with you, but the way the NFL has the rules written and enforced now-a-days, a hit like that will draw a flag everytime for being put on a "defenseless" wide receiver. The refs have to call it.

Worse though is that they sometimes call hits like that a penalty even when it's delivered as the ball is arriving or after the receiver has caught it but hasn't landed on the ground yet. That's when it really bugs me.

And as for the rules protecting QBs, it really is a bit too much. They over protect them now. It really is getting to a point where QBs should be tackled by two hand touch or pulling a flag off them.

The risk these guys take physically and mentally is minimal...

That is far from being true - just ask former Patriots linebacker, Ted Johnson. Or talk to someone like Earl Campbell about how shot his knees are. Take a look at what happened to Andre Waters.

And those three are just a very small sampling.

Football players, at certain positions more than others, sometimes suffer dearly later in life for what they put into their NFL career.

I am going to guess that he is fined $25k :first:

Good prediction.

:first:

a 25k fine for shutting up ocho stinco is worth every penny.

:first:

Good prediction.

:unsure:

I don't see how it was a good prediction when it was already a fact. :thumbsup:

1) did you play WR?

2) Was your big toe essential for your professional career beyond your high school football days?

I agree with the majority of your points, but I see point #3 as irrelevent information. Congratulations on being a badass though.

Not that I have to defend anything to you but...he asked if I had ever played through a big toe injury and said "I doubt it." I rebuted with #3. As to your questions 1) no 2) yes 3) thanks

That is far from being true - just ask former Patriots linebacker, Ted Johnson. Or talk to someone like Earl Campbell about how shot his knees are. Take a look at what happened to Andre Waters.

And those three are just a very small sampling.

Football players, at certain positions more than others, sometimes suffer dearly later in life for what they put into their NFL career.

Im starting to come around. Obama has enhanced OSHA and begun hiring of many more field inspectors. Lets start fining the NFL for endangering its employess.

Maybe the game should go all the way to two-hand touch :dunno: