Sign in to follow this  
mdubz

Time to sell Ronnie high?

Will Ronnie Brown keep this pace up or will his second half of the year be similar to last year? Is he a sell high candidate now?

Great question. I've been thinking about this myself--he's the #2 ranked RB in my league at the moment. I was considering offering him up for trade but after watching how he did against the Jets on Monday I'm inclined to sit tight. Of course, anyone is available for the right price...but I'm thinking he's a top 5 RB going forward on a creative offense, getting goal line carries, and plenty of carries even with Ricky "keeping him fresh". Watch him blow through enough defenses, running wildcats, catching AND throwing passes, plus remember how he did last year before injury...do you really want to trade him right now?

Depends on how high.

If you can get the right value for him go for it. I think right now you could get a Gore/Sjax/Turner (after last week I doubt it) and a WR2 or 3 for Ronnie and a scrub.

All depends on what the other owner thinks of him. Personally the highest I would give for him would be Grant+Colston. Not too high on him though.

Depends on your situation. I've thought about moving him for WR depth but cannot find the righ combo to package him with. At this point there are few RBs I'd want more.

Just rememeber the old FF adage: Sometimes the best trade is the one you don't make.

As someone who has driven the Ronnie Brown bandwagon since about June, treat him like you would MJD or AD. I'm not saying that is where he finishes, but he's 27 in a contract year and in a run-first offense that is just creative enough to make sure defenses can't key solely on him (unlike Steven Jackson). His line is one of the best run-blocking units in the league and he's been over 20 touches every week since the opener. In essence, he has a LOT going for him.

Yes, Ricky Williams is there, but this is one of the few offenses that can support two strong fantasy backs and, in his case, Ricky helps him as a diversion in the Wildcat but also keeps his touches around 20 (and not 30). The Jets said before the MNF game he would be the best back they faced all year and he didn't let them (or us) down.

To answer your question, I have him in four of my six leagues (including all three of my money leagues) and I would settle for no less than Andre Johnson in return. Of the defenses remaining on his schedule, only NO and TEN give me any pause. Heck, as a bonus, he has HOU in Week 16! If you are in a keeper, sell high next year. If you're in a redraft, enjoy the ride!!!!! :)

I got offered Chris Johnson for Ronnie Brown. I'm thinking I'm going to take it.

I'd rather have Johnson, since it's also a keeper league. And I anticipate Slaton coming on strong, and Gore will be healthy next week!

Is Johnson a good grab for Ronnie?

Looking at FFToday's SOS:

http://fftoday.com/stats/fantasystats.php?...&LeagueID=1

Tough Matchups:

New Orleans (Week 7)

Tennessee (Week 15)

Pittsburgh (Week 17) - won't matter to most fantasy players, anyway

Easy Matchups:

Carolina (Week 11)

Buffalo (Week 12)

Houston (Week 16)

The Rest:

NY Jets (Week 8)

New England (Week 9)

Tampa Bay (Week 10)

New England (Week 13)

Jacksonville (Week 14)

Things obviously will change as the season progresses, but right now that's a pretty easy schedule. If you can survive the Week 15 fantasy playoff matchup against Tennessee, you should have a very easy time in the Week 16 championship against Houston. I like those odds.

I have him in two keeper leagues, and I'm definitely holding. I would consider moving him if the right offer came my way, but I'm not actively looking to shop him. Not everyone needs to be "sold high." Some guys are just studs, and Ronnie has a lot of things working in his favor that indicate he'll keep this up for most of the year. Hold.

I got offered Chris Johnson for Ronnie Brown. I'm thinking I'm going to take it.

I'd rather have Johnson, since it's also a keeper league. And I anticipate Slaton coming on strong, and Gore will be healthy next week!

Is Johnson a good grab for Ronnie?

Straight up? No way. Johnson is almost venturing into buy low territory at this point, whereas Ronnie is at his highest. If you're really high on CJ3, you should at least try to squeeze some more from that owner.

I don't think Johnson will do any better until the Titans defense pulls it together. When the Titans are falling behind so quickly, they don't commit to the run, and Johnson's only value comes from catching dump-offs.

Brown is just as explosive as Johnson right now, and plays on a team that is keeping games close, and is committed to getting him 20+ touches a game.

I wouldn't be interested in Johnson for Brown, but that's me. If you are, I'd try to sweeten that deal a little bit.

I'm a little concerned about the wildcat taking a bit of a hit with Cobbs gone and R. williams potentailly hurt for a short while.

Brown is good, and will still be good without a strong wildcat, but he sure does get a lot of FF points in that gimmick :doublethumbsup:

Straight up? No way. Johnson is almost venturing into buy low territory at this point, whereas Ronnie is at his highest.

Yes way... I made the deal straight up. Your buy low and highest value thing makes no sense. If it were the other way around, and Ronnie was at a low point, and Johnson was putting up Brown's stats, nobody would trade Johnson for Ronnie. That's the point of buying low. If AP had two off weeks, and you traded for him, it'd be buying low. Which is what I'm doing. Buying low on CJ3, and selling high on Ronnie.

I think the Titans make the switch to Young, who has shown he's able to keep the team in games. They'll run more, and I think he's going to get back in the swing of things this week against New England.

It's a keeper league. Johnson is more valuable, and has been more valuable according to everyone until this past Monday. I'm a Dolphin fan, and I love Ronnie. But he's in a contract year, so he definitely has that extra motivation to play well. He's had great starts the past two years, only to fizzle out somewhat. And I see the same thing happening this year, granted not as bad as last year, nor will he tear an ACL.

I think Johnson is a good bet to outproduce Brown the rest of the season.

Yes way... I made the deal straight up. Your buy low and highest value thing makes no sense. If it were the other way around, and Ronnie was at a low point, and Johnson was putting up Brown's stats, nobody would trade Johnson for Ronnie. That's the point of buying low. If AP had two off weeks, and you traded for him, it'd be buying low. Which is what I'm doing. Buying low on CJ3, and selling high on Ronnie.

My point was, you could have gotten more. The guy making the offer obviously isn't happy with Johnson, and wants Brown. You were in the drivers seat, and maybe could have grabbed another player in the deal. Then again, if you think CJ3 is going to be a stud the rest of the way, and Brown will fizzle out, it would make sense to pull the trigger and get the guy you want, instead of messing around.

I think the Titans make the switch to Young, who has shown he's able to keep the team in games. They'll run more, and I think he's going to get back in the swing of things this week against New England.

Yeah, they'll run the ball...against 8 and 9 man fronts. With Collins, teams had to at least somewhat respect the passing game. Now they'll load up to shut CJ3 down, and dare Young to beat them.

And as long as the Titan's secondary is garbage, it won't matter. They were a great running team last year because they held opponents to 14 points per game. They never fell far behind (if they trailed at all), and could stay committed to the run. But now?

Week 3 - Trailed NYJ 14-0 by the end of the 1st quarter

Week 4 - Trailed JAX 27-3 by halftime.

Week 5 - Trailed IND 21-9 by halftime.

They still have to play Brady, Garrard again, Schaub again, Warner, Peyton again, and Rivers. If they can't shore up their defense, it's going to be the same story.

It's a keeper league. Johnson is more valuable, and has been more valuable according to everyone until this past Monday. I'm a Dolphin fan, and I love Ronnie. But he's in a contract year, so he definitely has that extra motivation to play well. He's had great starts the past two years, only to fizzle out somewhat. And I see the same thing happening this year, granted not as bad as last year, nor will he tear an ACL.

I'll give you that, and must have missed it in the first post. In a keeper league, I'd give Johnson more value. Don't know how well Brown will play once he gets a payday, and for that matter, you don't know where he'll be playing. Good points.

For this season, I'm not so sure, but that's why they play the game. Obviously my values of Brown and CJ3 are a lot different from yours, so I guess we can agree to disagree. Good luck, I hope CJ3 proves me wrong. :overhead:

Horrible trade for you!!!! Before Ronnie got hurt he was the best fantasy back in football. Ronnie is only going to get better as the season grows...not to mention that a better QB in place that defense's have to worry about it. You traded for CJ3 on a team that might switch to Vince Young as there QB are you serious he sucks!!!! Besides that ONE huge game against the horrible texans defense.....who basically gave him a 65 yard td...he hasnt really been impressive at all!!!!

The Tennessee DEF kept the team in games in the past. Unfortunately they aren't doing so this year.

As far as VY, the Vince Young Experiment is already a Fail. The day VY gets the starting gig back CJ3 will see his value take a big hit.

I would probably do a Brown for CJ3 trade in a keeper league, unless I really needed Ronnie to win this year. In redraft leagues Ronnie no contest.

The Tennessee DEF kept the team in games in the past. Unfortunately they aren't doing so this year.

As far as VY, the Vince Young Experiment is already a Fail. The day VY gets the starting gig back CJ3 will see his value take a big hit.

I would probably do a Brown for CJ3 trade in a keeper league, unless I really needed Ronnie to win this year. In redraft leagues Ronnie no contest.

Yeah, I would never consider CJ for Ronnie. I think that's just a bad trade. I'm holding Brown. As has been stated, he's in a PRODUCTIVE run first offense that runs late regardless of score, he gets goaline carries, has a decent DEF, good O-line and the team is for the most part competitive. What's not to like?

RB will finish in the top 5.

I think TEN has issues and while CJ is dynamic, if they go to Young you're just going to see 8-9 in the box focusing on him.

Never get rid of Ronnie. This is the 1st time I've owned him, the guy is fantastic.....consistent & gets goal line carries. He's the 2nd best RB behind Peterson in my league right now.

I can't believe people are looking to trade Ronnie Brown. He might score 20 TDs this year.

"Sell high" doesn't mean get rid of all your best players.

I can't believe people are looking to trade Ronnie Brown. He might score 20 TDs this year.

Agreed. A lot of people think there is no way Ronnie can keep this up b/c he isn't talked about near as much in the media as the APs and MJDs of the world, but they fail to realize that few teams center their offense more squarely on one guy than Miami does. People even think he hasn't "done it before", but 2007 is proof that he is capable of this and early 2008 is too, but to a less degree, before Miami backed off of him b/c he was still building strength back up in his knee from the ACL injury.

Fantasy owners are a paranoid group - we think the sky is falling when our preseason stud has a bad Week 1 but if he has four good weeks in a row, it must be a mirage and it is time to bail. Some investments are worth keeping around long term and Brown is one of those guys. Now, certainly if someone offers me Forte and AJ, I would trade him :lol: if it completed my roster, but the point is Week 1 was a mirage and we've all seen how dynamic a rather Miami offense can be when Ronnie is featured. Barring injury, Ronnie isn't going away.

Depends on how high.

Ricky Williams high! :lol: :pointstosky:

I own RB and will be riding him until the end. Don't out think yourselves gentlemen

Agreed. I've heard that other than when he was injured, that Ronnie Brown guy is pretty good at teh football. I can't think of another RB not named AP that I'd rather have right now, and would only trade him if I had good RB depth and could get AJ or Fitz.