Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

Been out of pocket

Just wanted to get in and give my 2 cents on the game last week. I've not read anybody else's comments - sure Romo and Dallas were blasted. But hey, largely deserved.

* Big props to the Purple - they were fantastic, and that defense was nasty. That unit set the tone for the day and it lead the steam roll ass kicking. We moved the ball early, and seemingly with ease our first 3 drives or so. But botched snap here, penalty there and we never were able to convert those drives into points. Inside the 40 three times on our opening drives and got zero points - instant death on the road. Game could of been won right there if we maybe punch it in twice. But we didn't.

* Romo was not good. But it would of taken Chuck Norris and an armed team of guards to do any better. He was under seige all day long and had zero opportunity to set up, look down field, or get a ball off. He didn't win the game, but he sure and hell was not at fault for it either. Our offensive line got biatch slapped left and right. The biggest killer was that Minny wasn't doing anything fancy or tricky - they were killing Romo with their basic rush package - our guys were simply out matched. Columbo's injury and out of shapness showed, he got abused all game long and could not match his guy's speed.

* Turning point of the game? Early on, when our kicker missed the first fg. I said it then, Bonehead move to not go for it on 4th and 1. We gave Minny the ball almost midfield, they scored, and the momentum was rolling full speed.

* Speaking of that score, what a throw and catch by Favre and Rice. Our guy was in perfect positon and it was a hell of a cover job - just placed it perfectly.

* Favre was incredible. He got hit pretty good too, but always got the ball off and just kept making plays.

* Our defense was really good early on, but the long score and our offense inability to move the chains just wore them down. We had no answer after they scored twice.

* And please, all Cowboys fans - shut up about running up the score. We were still bringing it and any one of our guys would of laid Favre out with a legal hit had they the chance. Remember when we ran out kicker out at the last minute to get him the fg record in a game? We had it well in hand, it was over, and we did it anyways. It's football and the NFL - grow up and get over it.

Hats off to the Vikes, they were great. I really think the Saints are in a little bit of trouble - we will see. Can't wait to watch, going to be a great game.

* Romo was not good. But it would of taken Chuck Norris and an armed team of guards to do any better. He was under seige all day long and had zero opportunity to set up, look down field, or get a ball off. He didn't win the game, but he sure and hell was not at fault for it either. Our offensive line got biatch slapped left and right. The biggest killer was that Minny wasn't doing anything fancy or tricky - they were killing Romo with their basic rush package - our guys were simply out matched. Columbo's injury and out of shapness showed, he got abused all game long and could not match his guy's speed.

I agree completely - I know Romo will take a lot of heat this offseason for yet another blowout/disappointing loss to end his season...But that game was not his fault. Did he play well? NO. But he made some throws early on, moved the team down the field like you said, but the team couldn't finish mostly because of the OLine (bad snap, holding calls). Could he have played "better"? Absolutely. But if that Cowboys team was lead by Manning or Brady or Brees, they still don't win that game, and I'm sure none of those QB's would've had a competitive stat-line.

The Dallas OLine just got man-handled, simple as that. Ray Edwards had a career day against us (3 sacks, forced fumble, another 2 tackles for a loss, one for -7 I believe). Flozell Adams' injury also hurt us. It forced us to move Jason Witten to Allen's side to help chip him, but Witten did a piss-poor job alongside the replacement LT. Despite the inability to score early in the game, and being down 7-0 and 14-0, I think the Cowboys needed to stick to the run, and quick passes (WR screens to Austin, RB screens, even HB draws) - anything to help neutralize the pass rush. Instead, it was as if Jason Garret was purposely dialing up long WR routes and 5-7 step drops just to watch Romo get pummeled. What a terribly-called game by Jason Garret.

I agree completely - I know Romo will take a lot of heat this offseason for yet another blowout/disappointing loss to end his season...But that game was not his fault. Did he play well? NO. But he made some throws early on, moved the team down the field like you said, but the team couldn't finish mostly because of the OLine (bad snap, holding calls). Could he have played "better"? Absolutely. But if that Cowboys team was lead by Manning or Brady or Brees, they still don't win that game, and I'm sure none of those QB's would've had a competitive stat-line.

The Dallas OLine just got man-handled, simple as that. Ray Edwards had a career day against us (3 sacks, forced fumble, another 2 tackles for a loss, one for -7 I believe). Flozell Adams' injury also hurt us. It forced us to move Jason Witten to Allen's side to help chip him, but Witten did a piss-poor job alongside the replacement LT. Despite the inability to score early in the game, and being down 7-0 and 14-0, I think the Cowboys needed to stick to the run, and quick passes (WR screens to Austin, RB screens, even HB draws) - anything to help neutralize the pass rush. Instead, it was as if Jason Garret was purposely dialing up long WR routes and 5-7 step drops just to watch Romo get pummeled. What a terribly-called game by Jason Garret.

I disagree, 3 Turnovers gives him some ownership in this loss. Sure he was under pressure but please protect the ball.

:dunno: Props to original poster, though Romo did seem to get quite gun shy as the game went on....dont blame him, but that didnt help him either.

As for you kmbryant09...I thought you were a Colts fan?

I disagree, 3 Turnovers gives him some ownership in this loss. Sure he was under pressure but please protect the ball.

If I'm not mistaken, 2 were fumbles (one was a blindside hit - not his fault) - the other on a bobbled snap - not sure who that goes on. Like I said, he didn't play well. But most of that stemmed from an absolute dreadful performance from his OLine, not from Romo's unraveling.

:lol: Props to original poster, though Romo did seem to get quite gun shy as the game went on....dont blame him, but that didnt help him either.

As for you kmbryant09...I thought you were a Colts fan?

I am a die-hard Colts fan. But I also root for the Cowboys since I grew up in a household that my father was the BIGGEST Cowboy fan. I would root for them just because I wanted my dad to be happy, not pissed for the next 6 days. :thumbsdown:

I thought their o-line has been bad since Bledsoe, but Romo's mobility can often hide the fact. I never understood when people said the Cowboys had a good o-line. Even without the injury, they aren't a top o-line in my opinion and never have been.

Just wanted to get in and give my 2 cents on the game last week. I've not read anybody else's comments - sure Romo and Dallas were blasted. But hey, largely deserved.

* Big props to the Purple - they were fantastic, and that defense was nasty. That unit set the tone for the day and it lead the steam roll ass kicking. We moved the ball early, and seemingly with ease our first 3 drives or so. But botched snap here, penalty there and we never were able to convert those drives into points. Inside the 40 three times on our opening drives and got zero points - instant death on the road. Game could of been won right there if we maybe punch it in twice. But we didn't.

* Turning point of the game? Early on, when our kicker missed the first fg. I said it then, Bonehead move to not go for it on 4th and 1. We gave Minny the ball almost midfield, they scored, and the momentum was rolling full speed.

* Speaking of that score, what a throw and catch by Favre and Rice. Our guy was in perfect positon and it was a hell of a cover job - just placed it perfectly.

* Favre was incredible. He got hit pretty good too, but always got the ball off and just kept making plays.

* Our defense was really good early on, but the long score and our offense inability to move the chains just wore them down. We had no answer after they scored twice.

* And please, all Cowboys fans - shut up about running up the score. We were still bringing it and any one of our guys would of laid Favre out with a legal hit had they the chance. Remember when we ran out kicker out at the last minute to get him the fg record in a game? We had it well in hand, it was over, and we did it anyways. It's football and the NFL - grow up and get over it.

Hats off to the Vikes, they were great. I really think the Saints are in a little bit of trouble - we will see. Can't wait to watch, going to be a great game.

This is why your posts will always hold creedance with me. This and your Master's threads!!!

I think Romo proved alot this December and January. He played well down the stretch of the season and won his first playoff game.

Just as Cowboy fans and Romo supporters say its not just on him during a loss, I say its not just on him during a win.. I think this team as a whole was alot better off without TO and really seemed to gel late, but I do give Tony credit and he played some good football.

Im not ready to put him in the top 5 NFL QB's list as is often discussed on this board, however.

I thought their o-line has been bad since Bledsoe, but Romo's mobility can often hide the fact. I never understood when people said the Cowboys had a good o-line. Even without the injury, they aren't a top o-line in my opinion and never have been.

Well run-blocking wise, there aren't many better OLine's than this one (when healthy).

I agree with everything Cruser said except the turning point of the game. I would say Flozel Adams leaving the game stuck a fork in the Boys.