Sign in to follow this  
Col.Walter.E.Kurtz.

Let's play Eagles GM....

UPDATED:

1. Trade McNabb. Although he's the best option to win right now at QB, he still doesn't get the team into contention due to a very mediocre defense. Additionally, for financial reasons, there is no room for him on the roster. He cannot play with one year left on his deal. If they resign him, he will cost alot of money (at least a $15 mil signing bonus, which will eat into the cap over the next three years or so). So he needs to be traded to the highest bidder (regardless of conference). Because of the lack of a CBA, Kolb is the starting QB at a very cheap price. Done.

2. Fill the holes on defense. If it works out, use the first round draft pick on Brandon Spike, ILB, Florida. He can start from the very first game on. If they cannot get him at their spot, move up to get him (by using another pick). With all this said, move Bradley to the outside and resign Akeem Jordan. If Bradley's not 100%, at least you have a capable back-up. To be determined at draft time.

3. Westbrook is cut, but if he can play, try to resign him to a lesser deal. At this point, he's a situational back at best. Done.

4. Sign Julius Peppers. They may have to overpay for him, but he immediately fills a need. Signed Daryl Tapp. Definitely not an upgrade.

5. All day one picks should be devoted to the defensive side of the ball, at safety, at corner, but getting the best players available and not small, system type players. TBD.

6. Sign veteran QB to back up Kolb. If Vick and McNabb are gone, they'll need to sign one veteran and draft a QB on day two. I think this will still be the case b/c I don't see Vick lasting with this team.

7. Lock up Jackson to a long term deal. Won't be done due to uncapped year (only eligible for 30% increase from existing deal.

8. Sign a veteran center for next year, who's capable of starting but is okay with backing up J. Jackson, if he can somehow come back quickly from the knee injury. I am a firm believer this should be addressed via the draft, most notably, Maurkice Pouncey from Floriday.

As far as offensive philosophy goes, without McNabb, Reid will be forced to develop a running game. No longer will he be dependent on trying to ride the coattails of McNabb (passing 70% of the time). With the lack of a solid defense and running game, Kolb may be forced to throw from behind alot in 2010. Bell should defintely help the running attack.

However it goes down, the Eagles need to know that as they stand, they are barely a playoff team in 2010 because of the defense. At this juncture, they are not a playoff caliber team. This will be the case even after the draft.

McNabb is not the problem, but trading him is part of the solving the other issues on the team. Done.

1. Trade McNabb. Although he's the best option to win right now at QB, he still doesn't get the team into contention due to a very mediocre defense. Additionally, for financial reasons, there is no room for him on the roster. He cannot play with one year left on his deal. If they resign him, he will cost alot of money (at least a $15 mil signing bonus, which will eat into the cap over the next three years or so). So he needs to be traded to the highest bidder (regardless of conference). Because of the lack of a CBA, Kolb is the starting QB at a very cheap price.

2. Fill the holes on defense. If it works out, use the first round draft pick on Brandon Spike, ILB, Florida. He can start from the very first game on. If they cannot get him at their spot, move up to get him (by using another pick). With all this said, move Bradley to the outside and resign Akeem Jordan. If Bradley's not 100%, at least you have a capable back-up.

3. Westbrook is cut, but if he can play, try to resign him to a lesser deal. At this point, he's a situational back at best.

4. Sign Julius Peppers. They may have to overpay for him, but he immediately fills a need.

5. All day one picks should be devoted to the defensive side of the ball, at safety, at corner, but getting the best players available and not small, system type players.

6. Sign veteran QB to back up Kolb. If Vick and McNabb are gone, they'll need to sign one veteran and draft a QB on day two.

7. Lock up Jackson to a long term deal.

8. Sign a veteran center for next year, who's capable of starting but is okay with backing up J. Jackson, if he can somehow come back quickly from the knee injury.

As far as offensive philosophy goes, without McNabb, Reid will be forced to develop a running game. No longer will he be dependent on trying to ride the coattails of McNabb (passing 70% of the time).

However it goes down, the Eagles need to know that as they stand, they are barely a playoff team in 2010 because of the defense.

McNabb is not the problem, but trading him is part of the solving the other issues on the team.

Good thoughts, Colonel.

I don't necessarily think LB is the place to go in the first round, I think Safety and corner are more pressing needs, assuming Stewart Bradly is 100% healthy. However, they probably should take the best available player on defense, as there really is no place they are totally set on defense.

Assuming in the off season the Eagles get some holes filled at LB and Safety, it will be interesting to see how McDermott does in his second year. I think he did pretty good being shorthanded, but we will know more if the defense continues to struggle with more talent on board.

I will be very excited to see what Kolb can do if he is the starting QB this year. I think the Eagles offense could be awesome. Then again, if Kolb is the second coming of Bobby Hoying, the Eagles will be in trouble.

1. Trade McNabb. Although he's the best option to win right now at QB, he still doesn't get the team into contention due to a very mediocre defense. Additionally, for financial reasons, there is no room for him on the roster. He cannot play with one year left on his deal. If they resign him, he will cost alot of money (at least a $15 mil signing bonus, which will eat into the cap over the next three years or so). So he needs to be traded to the highest bidder (regardless of conference). Because of the lack of a CBA, Kolb is the starting QB at a very cheap price.

2. Fill the holes on defense. If it works out, use the first round draft pick on Brandon Spike, ILB, Florida. He can start from the very first game on. If they cannot get him at their spot, move up to get him (by using another pick). With all this said, move Bradley to the outside and resign Akeem Jordan. If Bradley's not 100%, at least you have a capable back-up.

3. Westbrook is cut, but if he can play, try to resign him to a lesser deal. At this point, he's a situational back at best.

4. Sign Julius Peppers. They may have to overpay for him, but he immediately fills a need.

5. All day one picks should be devoted to the defensive side of the ball, at safety, at corner, but getting the best players available and not small, system type players.

6. Sign veteran QB to back up Kolb. If Vick and McNabb are gone, they'll need to sign one veteran and draft a QB on day two.

7. Lock up Jackson to a long term deal.

8. Sign a veteran center for next year, who's capable of starting but is okay with backing up J. Jackson, if he can somehow come back quickly from the knee injury.

As far as offensive philosophy goes, without McNabb, Reid will be forced to develop a running game. No longer will he be dependent on trying to ride the coattails of McNabb (passing 70% of the time).

However it goes down, the Eagles need to know that as they stand, they are barely a playoff team in 2010 because of the defense.

McNabb is not the problem, but trading him is part of the solving the other issues on the team.

Good thoughts. I'll respond in order. Please note that I've always been a big fan of Donovan McNabb. I do not think he is the problem. BUT I understand that parting ways may be the best solution for the team.

1) As mentioned, I'm still up in the air on this one. Donovan McNabb can still win football games. But, him being in his last year on his contract and wanting an extension, trading him may be the way to go. I would want a 2nd round pick for him. I also would not trade him to an NFC contender like the Vikings (if Brett Favre finally retires). I guess part of my hesitation here is that I'm not sold on Kevin Kolb. I just do not see this guy as ever being more than a average NFL QB. I hope he proves me wrong, because he may be our only option.

2) I think the Eagles taking Brandon Spikes would be a reach. This guy is falling and is likely a 2nd round pick. If they are going to take a LB, I'd rather see them take someone like Novarro Bowman out of Penn State. I think S and DE are bigger needs, but I do not see a safety worth drafting here, unless they want to roll the dice on a Taylor Mays.

3) I have no problem with cutting Westbrook. BUT I think I would look to draft another backup as a change of pace from McCoy. I don't think McCoy can carry the full load, although Leonard Weaver does offer another option. Joe McKnight in the 2nd round or Dexter McCluster in the 3rd round could be instant play makers in this offense. Toby Gerhrt could be another option in the 3rd or 4th round.

4) I'm on board with any move that will improve the pass rush. Trent Cole needs help. Julius Peppers would instantly give this team a Freeney/Mathis like combination at DE.

5) I agree to an extent. The majority of their needs are on the defensive side of the ball. If they don't get Peppers, a George Selvie may be around in the 2nd round. If not, I'd definitely want to use that 2nd round pick at safety. As I said above, I wouldn't be opposed to a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round, but going OLB, FS, and CB in some order with their first 3 picks seems like the best plan. DE is also in the mix as mentioned if they can't get Peppers. If they can get another 2nd round pick for McNabb, it would give them more flexibility here.

6) They will definitely need to sign a veteran QB if both McNabb and Vick are gone. This is another thing that scares me with trading McNabb. It would be an unproven Kolb and no viable backup currently.

7) Agreed

8) I'm actually OK with Nick Cole at Center if Jackson can't go, and signing AQ Shipley was a good signing as insurance. I think just more versatility and depth on the OL is the key. They can't go in to the season with another Andrews brother's fiasco.

Good thoughts, Colonel.

I don't necessarily think LB is the place to go in the first round, I think Safety and corner are more pressing needs, assuming Stewart Bradly is 100% healthy. However, they probably should take the best available player on defense, as there really is no place they are totally set on defense.

Assuming in the off season the Eagles get some holes filled at LB and Safety, it will be interesting to see how McDermott does in his second year. I think he did pretty good being shorthanded, but we will know more if the defense continues to struggle with more talent on board.

I will be very excited to see what Kolb can do if he is the starting QB this year. I think the Eagles offense could be awesome. Then again, if Kolb is the second coming of Bobby Hoying, the Eagles will be in trouble.

If there is a top safety available at their pick, I'd take him, don't get me wrong. I just feel there won't, and they don't need to reach at that spot to take a safety.

I just have a feeling that Spikes is going to be there, and that if he's there, he's their man.

Spikes/Bradley/Witherspoon would be your future corp of LBs, and I think that would be great.

I agree with you on McDermott. I think he's doing himself a disservice if he's trying to be Jim Johnson. The blitzing defense hasn't worked, and they are only gonna win if they have actual players with size/speed/skill. There simply isn't enough of that with the current cast.

Who knows, maybe they get a late first/early second for McNabb. If that's the case, it would give them an opportunity to move up, get an elite safety, or get a quality safety and a guy like Spikes.

Peppers is a no brainer. Give him whatever he wants. He immediately makes them better because he can give them an ability to rush the QB without blitzing.

Good thoughts. I'll respond in order. Please note that I've always been a big fan of Donovan McNabb. I do not think he is the problem. BUT I understand that parting ways may be the best solution for the team.

1) As mentioned, I'm still up in the air on this one. Donovan McNabb can still win football games. But, him being in his last year on his contract and wanting an extension, trading him may be the way to go. I would want a 2nd round pick for him. I also would not trade him to an NFC contender like the Vikings (if Brett Favre finally retires). I guess part of my hesitation here is that I'm not sold on Kevin Kolb. I just do not see this guy as ever being more than a average NFL QB. I hope he proves me wrong, because he may be our only option.

2) I think the Eagles taking Brandon Spikes would be a reach. This guy is falling and is likely a 2nd round pick. If they are going to take a LB, I'd rather see them take someone like Novarro Bowman out of Penn State. I think S and DE are bigger needs, but I do not see a safety worth drafting here, unless they want to roll the dice on a Taylor Mays.

3) I have no problem with cutting Westbrook. BUT I think I would look to draft another backup as a change of pace from McCoy. I don't think McCoy can carry the full load, although Leonard Weaver does offer another option. Joe McKnight in the 2nd round or Dexter McCluster in the 3rd round could be instant play makers in this offense. Toby Gerhrt could be another option in the 3rd or 4th round.

4) I'm on board with any move that will improve the pass rush. Trent Cole needs help. Julius Peppers would instantly give this team a Freeney/Mathis like combination at DE.

5) I agree to an extent. The majority of their needs are on the defensive side of the ball. If they don't get Peppers, a George Selvie may be around in the 2nd round. If not, I'd definitely want to use that 2nd round pick at safety. As I said above, I wouldn't be opposed to a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round, but going OLB, FS, and CB in some order with their first 3 picks seems like the best plan. DE is also in the mix as mentioned if they can't get Peppers. If they can get another 2nd round pick for McNabb, it would give them more flexibility here.

6) They will definitely need to sign a veteran QB if both McNabb and Vick are gone. This is another thing that scares me with trading McNabb. It would be an unproven Kolb and no viable backup currently.

7) Agreed

8) I'm actually OK with Nick Cole at Center if Jackson can't go, and signing AQ Shipley was a good signing as insurance. I think just more versatility and depth on the OL is the key. They can't go in to the season with another Andrews brother's fiasco.

I think there has to be change of philosophy in the front office. I'm a huge McNabb fan, but if he's not the answer to winning a SB, then they need to switch gears and find it. People love to applaud Feeley and Garcia for being able to run the offense when McNabb was out, but all of us noticed that the play calling changed dramatically and emphasized the run more.

As Banner said last year, they cannot continue to do the same things hoping for a different result. I believe that definitely reflects on Reid.

Improving the defense and establishing a running game automatically takes the pressure off of Kolb. Additionally, having guys like Jackson/Maclin/Celek does him well, too.

There are enough components on the o-line next year that barring injury, they can develop and above average unit (elite if The Big Kid can get it back together).

Spikes' stock is falling because of the eye gouge incident, in addition to a very average 40 time. But the guy makes plays. He's always around the ball. He has tons of experience against quality competition. He's a vocal leader on the field. He has size, and he has sideline to sideline quicks. Very similar to a young Trotter.

And I would not be surprised if McNabb goes, Vick stays. Although not may backup QB's make 5.5 mil a season, not many starting QB's like Kolb are making 2nd round money. So the aggregate would be a bargain.

I think there has to be change of philosophy in the front office. I'm a huge McNabb fan, but if he's not the answer to winning a SB, then they need to switch gears and find it. People love to applaud Feeley and Garcia for being able to run the offense when McNabb was out, but all of us noticed that the play calling changed dramatically and emphasized the run more.

As Banner said last year, they cannot continue to do the same things hoping for a different result. I believe that definitely reflects on Reid.

Improving the defense and establishing a running game automatically takes the pressure off of Kolb. Additionally, having guys like Jackson/Maclin/Celek does him well, too.

There are enough components on the o-line next year that barring injury, they can develop and above average unit (elite if The Big Kid can get it back together).

Spikes' stock is falling because of the eye gouge incident, in addition to a very average 40 time. But the guy makes plays. He's always around the ball. He has tons of experience against quality competition. He's a vocal leader on the field. He has size, and he has sideline to sideline quicks. Very similar to a young Trotter.

And I would not be surprised if McNabb goes, Vick stays. Although not may backup QB's make 5.5 mil a season, not many starting QB's like Kolb are making 2nd round money. So the aggregate would be a bargain.

I agree that there needs to be a change of philosophy. It is Andy Reid's fault. In my opinion, he has several flaws as a football coach. He is still a good GM and talent evaluator, but not a very good in game football coach. The offense is definitely different when McNabb is at QB versus when he is not. Why is this? They do need to commit to the run more. It even seemed like they went away from the screen game this past season, at least compared to how effective it was in previous seasons. I also think the offensive line will be OK.

We will have to agree to disagree on Spikes. I do not think he fits the Eagles system. I think the Eagles need at linebacker is on the outside. Spikes is more of a inside linebacker. I also think that it is somewhat troubling that his on the field production was much less in 2008 than it was in 2007. Novarro Bowman would be my pick. He fits their system better and is a true OLB, and IMO a better player than Spikes.

I don't really see a scenario where the Eagles trade McNabb and keep Vick. I think Vick is gone regardless, and then it comes down to what they can get for McNabb or if they keep him at starting QB. Vick wants to start and someone will give him the opportunity to. I don't think paying him $5.5 million as a backup and wildcat QB would be worth it.

I think the Eagles better hang onto McNabb and Westbrook or they'll miss the playoffs.

Just thinking out loud - but how about McNabb to the Vikes? I know it's in the same conference, but if Favre leaves - McNabb could step in and run that West Coast styled offense. Finally have his running game behind him.

Just thinking out loud - but how about McNabb to the Vikes? I know it's in the same conference, but if Favre leaves - McNabb could step in and run that West Coast styled offense. Finally have his running game behind him.

There was some speculation on Yahoo sports today that the Vikings have inquired about McNabb. It makes some sense for both teams, since the Vikings will need a QB (assuming Favre retires) and they're close enough to championship-caliber everywhere else, it could be worth their low first rounder. Several other teams badly need a QB but I don't see any team dealing a high first rounder for McNabb.

I sort of feel bad for DMac in that he's been saddled with a lousy play-calling coach and mediocre talent at wideout for most of his career, but I'm ready to deal him now. McNabb's contract only goes through next year but Kolb's expires then, too. I don't know that Kolb is the future but the only way to find out is to give him a chance to start. I do know that McNabb is not the future. It isn't entirely his fault, but the guy can barely complete 60% of his passes in an offense that relies on a lot of screen passes and dump offs.

If Andy Reid is going to continue to pass the ball 65%+ of the time - and all indications are that he's never, ever going to change - the Eagles need an accurate QB who completes a high percentage of his parents. That is just not McNabb.

Other than the change at QB, I think the Eagles should sign peppers, and target FS, OLB, and RB as areas of serious need. Depth along the OL would certainly help, too.

trade Kolb to Spagnola and the Rams fir their 2nd round pick (34 overall)

If the Eagles could get a high 2nd rounder for Kevin Kolb, I'm pretty sure they would take it in a heartbeat. But, I don't think anyone is offering that.

If the Vikings would offer a 1st round pick for McNabb, I think the Eagles would take that pretty quickly too. As an Eagles fan I wouldn't want to see him go to possibly the most talented team in the NFC. But as I McNabb fan, I'd be rooting for him. I do not think this will happen though because I fully expect Brett Favre to play his "retiring" games again and eventually return for next season. He can still play at a high level, on a very talented team, so I think he'll be back. I just wish he wouldn't always make it all about him and turn it in to a media circus every year.

looks like good thoughts. i don't know everything about the Eagles situations but the one thing I don't agree with you on is letting McNabb go but bringing in Peppers.

It seems you want to ship McNabb away because he is aging and expensive and even thought he is the best "win now" QB they have, the team isn't going anywhere because of defense...

So why bring in Peppers who is an aging expensive defensive player? I understand it bolsters the defense but a move like that would seem to be best made by a team trying to "win now" but you would have cut ties with your best QB....

looks like good thoughts. i don't know everything about the Eagles situations but the one thing I don't agree with you on is letting McNabb go but bringing in Peppers.

It seems you want to ship McNabb away because he is aging and expensive and even thought he is the best "win now" QB they have, the team isn't going anywhere because of defense...

So why bring in Peppers who is an aging expensive defensive player? I understand it bolsters the defense but a move like that would seem to be best made by a team trying to "win now" but you would have cut ties with your best QB....

Personally, I don't want to see them ship McNabb away. As you said, he still gives them the best chance to win. But, I do not think that certain Eagles fans want him to leave because he is aging and expensive. I think they want him to leave to change the dynamic of this team. For some unknown reason, Andy Reid calls plays differently when someone other than Donovan McNabb is at QB. Jeff Garcia, AJ Feeley, etc. have had success in this offense when the Eagles have shown the ability to have a balanced attack. When Donovan McNabb is at QB, Andy Reid goes right back to a very pass heavy offense. This team needs more balance. In my opinion, I'd rather see Andy Reid go than Donovan McNabb. I think he is one of the worser in game coaches in the NFL. BUT this will not happen. Reid is very close with Banner and Lurie and just got extended. So the only other option to change the offensive philosophy and dynamics of this team, is to trade Donovan McNabb. I don't like it, but it may be the best option considering the circumstances. There are also many Eagles fans that think Kevin Kolb can run this offense effectively. I personally have my doubts.

Wanting Julius Peppers may just be a pipe dream. We need another pass rusher desperately, and he is by far the best player that MAY be available. But Carolina wants compensation for him, AND then a team would have to sign him to a very big contract. I don't really see any teams out there willing to do that. But at age 30, I wouldn't say he is aging. Perennial pro bowlers like Reggie White and Bruce Smith played well in to their late 30's, and were still very productive. I'm not saying Peppers is quite on their level as a football player, but physically, he probably is on their level.

Personally, I don't want to see them ship McNabb away. As you said, he still gives them the best chance to win. But, I do not think that certain Eagles fans want him to leave because he is aging and expensive. I think they want him to leave to change the dynamic of this team. For some unknown reason, Andy Reid calls plays differently when someone other than Donovan McNabb is at QB. Jeff Garcia, AJ Feeley, etc. have had success in this offense when the Eagles have shown the ability to have a balanced attack. When Donovan McNabb is at QB, Andy Reid goes right back to a very pass heavy offense. This team needs more balance. In my opinion, I'd rather see Andy Reid go than Donovan McNabb. I think he is one of the worser in game coaches in the NFL. BUT this will not happen. Reid is very close with Banner and Lurie and just got extended. So the only other option to change the offensive philosophy and dynamics of this team, is to trade Donovan McNabb. I don't like it, but it may be the best option considering the circumstances. There are also many Eagles fans that think Kevin Kolb can run this offense effectively. I personally have my doubts.

Wanting Julius Peppers may just be a pipe dream. We need another pass rusher desperately, and he is by far the best player that MAY be available. But Carolina wants compensation for him, AND then a team would have to sign him to a very big contract. I don't really see any teams out there willing to do that. But at age 30, I wouldn't say he is aging. Perennial pro bowlers like Reggie White and Bruce Smith played well in to their late 30's, and were still very productive. I'm not saying Peppers is quite on their level as a football player, but physically, he probably is on their level.

my comments were directed at the original poster who seemed to be saying McNabb would be expensive and should be traded because the rest of the team isn't built to win now anyway.

Thats why going after Peppers seemed a bit contradictory.

I agree that there needs to be a change of philosophy. It is Andy Reid's fault. In my opinion, he has several flaws as a football coach. He is still a good GM and talent evaluator, but not a very good in game football coach. The offense is definitely different when McNabb is at QB versus when he is not. Why is this? They do need to commit to the run more. It even seemed like they went away from the screen game this past season, at least compared to how effective it was in previous seasons. I also think the offensive line will be OK.

We will have to agree to disagree on Spikes. I do not think he fits the Eagles system. I think the Eagles need at linebacker is on the outside. Spikes is more of a inside linebacker. I also think that it is somewhat troubling that his on the field production was much less in 2008 than it was in 2007. Novarro Bowman would be my pick. He fits their system better and is a true OLB, and IMO a better player than Spikes.

I don't really see a scenario where the Eagles trade McNabb and keep Vick. I think Vick is gone regardless, and then it comes down to what they can get for McNabb or if they keep him at starting QB. Vick wants to start and someone will give him the opportunity to. I don't think paying him $5.5 million as a backup and wildcat QB would be worth it.

Greatly appreciate the back and forth, first of all. Thank you.

The Eagles would be remiss to let go 2 veteran QB's and keep only one with experience. That creates a very large hole on your roster, at the most important position on the team.

I'm glad you responded the way you did on Spikes. He doesn't fit their system. You are right. He's a solid football player, and that's what they need. Additionally, he would be playing ILB, and I'd be moving Stewart Bradley to the outside permanently.

Why? Bradley can cover the tight end. And, in the short term, he's gonna need alot of time to recover fully from the injury. Solution? Akeem Jordan. Good enough to hold down the spot, good enough where he and Bradley can take turns.

Spikes may have had a down 2008 (compared to 2007), but partly due to having a crappy DL. Any LB's gonna be worth sh!t if his horses up front can't keep o-linemen out of the pursuit lanes.

There was some speculation on Yahoo sports today that the Vikings have inquired about McNabb. It makes some sense for both teams, since the Vikings will need a QB (assuming Favre retires) and they're close enough to championship-caliber everywhere else, it could be worth their low first rounder. Several other teams badly need a QB but I don't see any team dealing a high first rounder for McNabb.

I sort of feel bad for DMac in that he's been saddled with a lousy play-calling coach and mediocre talent at wideout for most of his career, but I'm ready to deal him now. McNabb's contract only goes through next year but Kolb's expires then, too. I don't know that Kolb is the future but the only way to find out is to give him a chance to start. I do know that McNabb is not the future. It isn't entirely his fault, but the guy can barely complete 60% of his passes in an offense that relies on a lot of screen passes and dump offs.

If Andy Reid is going to continue to pass the ball 65%+ of the time - and all indications are that he's never, ever going to change - the Eagles need an accurate QB who completes a high percentage of his parents. That is just not McNabb.

Other than the change at QB, I think the Eagles should sign peppers, and target FS, OLB, and RB as areas of serious need. Depth along the OL would certainly help, too.

They'll have Kolb for a few more years on this contract given the current status of the CBA.

This is the very same reason why it's time for McNabb to move on.

I'll paint this scenario: McNabb is traded, Vick stays as insurance. Kolb is the starter, Kolb gets the team off to a great start. Kolb shows that he is the QB of the future that the front office envisioned.

The Eagles stick to their track record of locking up young talent, they sign Kolb sometime next season to a long term contract, big signing bonus, etc. Banner structures the deal where the brunt of the bonus money is paid out in the 2010 uncapped season, thus very little of it pro-rated over the life of the contract, thus negating his overall impact on any future cap.

So in 2010, you purge an aging veteran contract, you sign your long-term QB and make it cap friendly, and you have just given yourself some freedom to make some moves in 2011 and beyond, where the team is going to be a legitimate contender.

Of course, Kolb has to keep his end of the bargain.

I only bring this up because the Eagles have not shot at winning anything in 2010 with the current defense. It will take two years to do that, so taking care of other issues in the interim only makes sense.

I'd much rather see Reid move into the front office and get another HC.

my comments were directed at the original poster who seemed to be saying McNabb would be expensive and should be traded because the rest of the team isn't built to win now anyway.

Thats why going after Peppers seemed a bit contradictory.

I made that statement because the defense is what's holding this team down.

Fill the defensive holes with quality, turn the reins over to Kolb, and see how it plays out.

What's known is that no team ever has won a SB with a sh!t defense. We all saw that in the playoffs this season.

If Carolina franchised him last year, that should mean that he's an UFA in 2010. No compensation to Carolina is necessary.

I made that statement because the defense is what's holding this team down.

Fill the defensive holes with quality, turn the reins over to Kolb, and see how it plays out.

What's known is that no team ever has won a SB with a sh!t defense. We all saw that in the playoffs this season.

true but if your reasoning behind dealing McNabb is age/cost and that the rest of the team isn't ready to "win now" then I don't see the logic in bringing in Peppers who is also aging and costly.

build the defense with youth in mind.

Like others have mentioned I to like McNabb and I think he is the player to move. How many good years do you think McNabb has left in him?

true but if your reasoning behind dealing McNabb is age/cost and that the rest of the team isn't ready to "win now" then I don't see the logic in bringing in Peppers who is also aging and costly.

build the defense with youth in mind.

My apologies. I believe I didn't explain myself too well.

With the amount of money that McNabb will get (reasoning, if he's staying he'll get a new deal), they can take that money and put it towards building the defense.

The team should be better if the holes in the defense are filled with new talent.

If McNabb stays (and gets all that money), the team won't be able to afford to bring in the talent needed to fill the holes in the defense. No way would they be able to bring in Peppers.

No one is to say that if they fulfill the needs of the defense with talent, they're gonna be a contender. The obvious question mark is Kolb. At some point and time, they're gonna have to roll with him and see what's what.

Do you see what I'm getting at here?

My apologies. I believe I didn't explain myself too well.

With the amount of money that McNabb will get (reasoning, if he's staying he'll get a new deal), they can take that money and put it towards building the defense.

The team should be better if the holes in the defense are filled with new talent.

If McNabb stays (and gets all that money), the team won't be able to afford to bring in the talent needed to fill the holes in the defense. No way would they be able to bring in Peppers.

No one is to say that if they fulfill the needs of the defense with talent, they're gonna be a contender. The obvious question mark is Kolb. At some point and time, they're gonna have to roll with him and see what's what.

Do you see what I'm getting at here?

i see what you are getting at but it still makes little sense to me.

I understand that getting rid of McNabb frees up money to invest in the defense, but you have already admitted that McNabb is their best option to win now.

Getting rid of him and using the money on a guy like Peppers helps the defense but then you have the opposite problem. You would be left with no QB capable of winning now and a defensive star on the downside of his career.

I think if you get rid of McNabb you better invest in younger players all around and admit you are building for the future around young stars like Jackson, Maclin and McCoy.

I understand that getting rid of McNabb frees up money to invest in the defense, but you have already admitted that McNabb is their best option to win now.

Getting rid of him and using the money on a guy like Peppers helps the defense but then you have the opposite problem. You would be left with no QB capable of winning now and a defensive star on the downside of his career.

I think if you get rid of McNabb you better invest in younger players all around and admit you are building for the future around young stars like Jackson, Maclin and McCoy.

Agreed. If you're going to get rid of McNabb, it doesn't make any sense to tie all your money up in a 30 year old defensive end who isn't going to be around when you become a contender again AND will hamper the rebuilding process by taking money that could be invested in younger developing players.

I am not an Eagles fan, but a McNaab fan. The Eagles are in a catch 22 here. They can only trade him if he is willing to sign a 3 to 4 deal with another team. Donovan will not go to a rebuilding team, such as the Rams, basically giving himself veto power and making sure he goes to a team in the right situation. So basically, has to be either a sign and trade, or a guarantee that he will sign the contract when he is traded.

I agree that its the def that lets the eagles down, which does need to be addressed, but I do think it needs to be addressed not with a LB, or a cap clogging Peppers. I would really think that they need more help with the DT situation that could help to free up their LBs. Brian Price, UCLA, the PAC 10 defensive player of the year, I would think should be around there and not a reach. Price is an instant upgrade. Kindle the LB out of Texas might actually be better then Spikes.

In a perfect world

Sign and trade McNaab to the Vikes for their first rounder. Get a DT and one of the LBs above.

Kolb is above average and the Eagles go out and get Hasselback, Derek Anderson or Trent Edwards, as insurance, and let Vick and his big salary go. These QBs are nothing special, but the FA market on QBs is pretty dry.

Sign Peppers, like a few of you want, I think this is a mistake though.

Get a big power back in 4th+ round for some insurance.

Grab a safety in the 2nd, not going to be a stud though, as the studs will be gone in the first and early 2nd.

Still think you Eagles fans are crazy for wanting to get rid of a QB who puts up solid numbers year in and year out, and pin your hopes on a guy who has not looked good in preseason, and had what, 2 good games? Not winning the SB in 11 years with McNaab sucks, but crossing your fingers that Kolb will be similar to him, is a pipe dream I am afraid. Best hope that Kolb turns out better then Derek Anderson.

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be a no brainer in this situation to grab as many young and talented players as possible.

Unfortunately, alot of them players will be RFA this off-season due to the uncapped year. 6 years minimum service gets you UFA.

Had that not been the case, I'd have three guys on my wish list:

Edwards, DE, from Minny

Bethea, S, from Indy

Ruud, ILB, from Tampa

Given the current situation, that's not gonna happen, unless they absolutely overpay for each player, to the point where the existing ballclub can't match.

Alot of what lies underneath my arguement is that IMO, I think Kevin Kolb can play at the NFL level, and I think he's gonna be a good QB. As long as he's given a running game, the will of the coaches to run the ball, and a defense that's not gonna keep him playing from behind.

Good back and forth and I thank everyone for their imput.

They'll have Kolb for a few more years on this contract given the current status of the CBA.

This is the very same reason why it's time for McNabb to move on.

I'll paint this scenario: McNabb is traded, Vick stays as insurance. Kolb is the starter, Kolb gets the team off to a great start. Kolb shows that he is the QB of the future that the front office envisioned.

The Eagles stick to their track record of locking up young talent, they sign Kolb sometime next season to a long term contract, big signing bonus, etc. Banner structures the deal where the brunt of the bonus money is paid out in the 2010 uncapped season, thus very little of it pro-rated over the life of the contract, thus negating his overall impact on any future cap.

So in 2010, you purge an aging veteran contract, you sign your long-term QB and make it cap friendly, and you have just given yourself some freedom to make some moves in 2011 and beyond, where the team is going to be a legitimate contender.

Of course, Kolb has to keep his end of the bargain.

I only bring this up because the Eagles have not shot at winning anything in 2010 with the current defense. It will take two years to do that, so taking care of other issues in the interim only makes sense.

I'd much rather see Reid move into the front office and get another HC.

Is Reid really a great GM?

Drafting McNabb #2 overall in '99 was a stroke of genius and Reid has done a good job of finding day 2 gems, like Westbrook and Trent Cole. On the other hand, the Eagles have invested a ton of cash and picks into the O and D lines and both units still need help. Peters was just okay and the Andrews boys both struck out big. We've been trying to find a DE to pair with Cole for years and keep striking out: McDougle, Kearse, Abiamiri, Howard, Clemons, etc. We have two first round picks starting at DT (Patterson and Bunkley) along with a high 2nd rounder (Laws) and DT is still an area of need. If you look at the defense Reid inherited versus what it is now, the '99 team was better at virtually every position.

Every team strikes out sometimes so I'm not going to say Reid's a horrible personnel guy, but nothing about his body of work makes me want to put him in the front office full-time. Actually, some of his better choices turned out well specifically because Reid and the staff coached those players up over time - Quinton Mikell comes to mind as a success story.

I'd rather fire Reid all together, but since that's never going to happen I'd settle for bringing in a better GM. As it is now nobody running this franchise has any accountability.

Drafting McNabb #2 overall in '99 was a stroke of genius and Reid has done a good job of finding day 2 gems, like Westbrook and Trent Cole. On the other hand, the Eagles have invested a ton of cash and picks into the O and D lines and both units still need help. Peters was just okay and the Andrews boys both struck out big. We've been trying to find a DE to pair with Cole for years and keep striking out: McDougle, Kearse, Abiamiri, Howard, Clemons, etc. We have two first round picks starting at DT (Patterson and Bunkley) along with a high 2nd rounder (Laws) and DT is still an area of need. If you look at the defense Reid inherited versus what it is now, the '99 team was better at virtually every position.

Every team strikes out sometimes so I'm not going to say Reid's a horrible personnel guy, but nothing about his body of work makes me want to put him in the front office full-time. Actually, some of his better choices turned out well specifically because Reid and the staff coached those players up over time - Quinton Mikell comes to mind as a success story.

I'd rather fire Reid all together, but since that's never going to happen I'd settle for bringing in a better GM. As it is now nobody running this franchise has any accountability.

Let's not forget about his evaluation of Fre-Ex as being a better option than the likes of Chad Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Steve Smith and Chris Chambers.

I'd love to see Reid go, McNabb stay and get someone to call plays that balance this offense and play to mcnabb's strengths and not his weaknesses.

Let's not forget about his evaluation of Fre-Ex as being a better option than the likes of Chad Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Steve Smith and Chris Chambers.

I'd love to see Reid go, McNabb stay and get someone to call plays that balance this offense and play to mcnabb's strengths and not his weaknesses.

Agreed. Unfortunately we are probably saddled with Reid for another few years at least, which means Donovan could be gone.

Judging the Eagles offensive line by last year's performance is a little nuts based on all the injuries they had. If they stay healthy this year and don't perform well then you have a point.

You are quick to point out all Reid's misses without giving him any credit for his hits. DeSean, Maclin, Celek, Herremans, Bradley, Brown, Sheppard are all examples of good draft picks. If Kolb turns out to be the QB of the future, that will be a great draft pick. In addition, the Eagles are very good at getting extra draft picks either through trade or compensatory picks, which allows them to miss a little bit more often with their draft picks.

Basically the Eagles organization has turned over twice since Reid has been there and they have stayed successful throughout. The one losing year other than Reid's first year could have been a winning season had not McNabb got hurt and the Eagles not made the wrong decision about bringing Mike McMahon in as a backup. So either Reid is great at coaching up players or the Eagles are bringing in some talent to be able to win. I think he is doing a little of both.

My biggest gripe with Reid is his run/pass balance. I don't know why he gives up on the run with McNabb in the game, yet when Garcia or Feeley or even Kolb last year are running the offense he goes to a more balanced game and is successful with it. Stick with the run, Andy!

Judging the Eagles offensive line by last year's performance is a little nuts based on all the injuries they had. If they stay healthy this year and don't perform well then you have a point.

Sure, but I think Shawn Andrews is pretty much done and early returns on his brother are not looking so good. Winston Justice was a very pleasant surprise, though.

You are quick to point out all Reid's misses without giving him any credit for his hits. DeSean, Maclin, Celek, Herremans, Bradley, Brown, Sheppard are all examples of good draft picks. If Kolb turns out to be the QB of the future, that will be a great draft pick. In addition, the Eagles are very good at getting extra draft picks either through trade or compensatory picks, which allows them to miss a little bit more often with their draft picks.

I gave Reid credit specifically for McNabb, Westbrook and Cole - all three were fantastic picks. He also hit on Desean, Celek, Herramens and Brown, among others. Then he's had some serious misfires in the draft and free agency: Kearse, Howard, McDougle, FredEx, etc. Overall I'd say his body of work as a personnel man has been slightly better than average. I wouldn't say he's terrible but I also wouldn't call Reid a genius GM.

Basically the Eagles organization has turned over twice since Reid has been there and they have stayed successful throughout. The one losing year other than Reid's first year could have been a winning season had not McNabb got hurt and the Eagles not made the wrong decision about bringing Mike McMahon in as a backup. So either Reid is great at coaching up players or the Eagles are bringing in some talent to be able to win. I think he is doing a little of both.

I think he's done a far better job of coaching players up than picking them. Reid is terrific at taking projects like Mikell and turning them into contributors. Where he's really hurt the team is busting in the early rounds of the draft and free agency.

I'd also note that while Reid has turned the team over, the Eagles are IMO in significantly worse shape now than they were in 2004 and haven't really come close to being a championship-caliber franchise ever since.

My biggest gripe with Reid is his run/pass balance. I don't know why he gives up on the run with McNabb in the game, yet when Garcia or Feeley or even Kolb last year are running the offense he goes to a more balanced game and is successful with it. Stick with the run, Andy!

Andy Reid is a terrific coach from Monday to Saturday and probably among the worst in football on Sunday. It's been like that for 11 years now - is it ever going to change?

Andy Reid is a terrific coach from Monday to Saturday and probably among the worst in football on Sunday. It's been like that for 11 years now - is it ever going to change?

Based on how Reid has called games when McNabb is not playing, I think he is a far better playcaller without McNabb then with him. That is why I want to see what the Eagles and Reid can do without McNabb. I think (and hope) that Reid will look alot better as a gameday coach than you think he is.

I think Reid's judgement comes into question when he's relying on an injured player for the following season.

Peters was coming off of injury. Both Andrews were coming back from injury. Heck, Cornelius Ingram was damaged goods in college, yet he took the chance on him.

He traded to move up and get McDougle, and the guy gets shot in the stomach.

I think Reid's been a little unlucky in that aspect. However, Kearse was a reach signing, knowing that he had injury issues.

Howard hasn't been all that bad, but everyone was looking for him to set the world on fire.

So I think the overall problem is the Eagles talking up their signings, because clearly they've had instances where things haven't quite worked out due to one circumstance or another.

I'd have Reid oversee operations, reporting to Banner. Have Howie Roseman report to Reid, and hire a HC who also reports to Reid.

So here's another theory I can throw out there.

McNabb and Vick both get traded, and in turn, the Eagles use a bunch of draft picks to sign restricted free agents.

As I said before, rebuild the team the way you did years ago, with defense.

Kevin Kolb will have a better chance to succeed if you give him a great defense and solid running game. The other components in the passing game are already there.

I'll take Ray Edwards, RFA, and Antoine Bethea, RFA. I will try my best to sign Wilfork (if he's not franchised), and I will use my first round pick on a LB (preferably inside, because I think Bradley can really be a great OLB).

There. I just rebuilt my front seven, and put a bunch of turnover making machines in the secondary.

I know Reid values draft picks, but when you have a chance to get proven commodities coming into their primes, you have to make a go at it.

UPDATED NOW THAT THE DUST HAS SETTLED A BIT:

FA - sign:

Darren Sharper to a 2 year deal. Veteran leader who can still cover.

Make long term offer for David Hawthorne, ILB, Seattle. Tackling machine who can play inside, thus moving Bradley outside, where he and/or Jordan can be the 'guys in space' they need to make plays. The Seahawks failed to tender him as a RFA.

2010 Eagles Draft Picks

Round Note

1 (24) - Markus Pouncey, C, Florida

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2010mpouncey.php

2 (37) - best available defender - Nate Allen, S, South Florida

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2010nallen.php

2 (55) - best available defender - Brandon Ghee, CB, Wake Forrest

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2010bghee.php

3 (70) - best available defender - Torrell Troup, DT, Central Florida

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com/nfl_d...ll%20Troup/2197

3 (87) - best available defender - A.J. Edds, OLB, Iowa

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=65032&draftyear=2010&genpos=OLB

4 (105) - start to look at QB, maybe someone like John Skelton from Fordham

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dspro...0&genpos=qb

4 (121) - Arthur Jones, DE/DT, Syracuse

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dspro...0&genpos=DT

5 (137) - best player available

6 (200) - best player available

7 (243) - best player available

7 (244) Compensatory Pick

Honestly, I thought the Eagles would use some of those redundant picks to attack the FA marketplace, grab some proven young talent, and lock them up long-term with the abundance of cash they have on hand. However, part of me gets the distinct feeling that they may be planning for a 2011 lockout.

Given the above, the Eagles picked a great draft to address needs on defense, given the amount of quality and quantity that will be available.

I wouldn't be against them moving up in the first round to take Berry or another impact defender. I do think, though, Sharper provides a Band-Aid for a unit that needs one, and Pouncey provides insurance and long term development as a tandem with Kolb and the rest of the unit.

The Eagles can call it what it is, but this is a rebuilding process. They are way behind the Cowboys at this point, in terms of talent, and now experience.

Good thoughts, Colonel.

UPDATED:

1. Done.

2. To be determined at draft time.

3. Done.

4.Signed Daryl Tapp. Definitely not an upgrade.

5. TBD.

6. I think this will still be the case b/c I don't see Vick lasting with this team.

7. Won't be done due to uncapped year (only eligible for 30% increase from existing deal.

8. I am a firm believer this should be addressed via the draft, most notably, Maurkice Pouncey from Floriday.

As far as offensive philosophy goes, without McNabb, Reid will be forced to develop a running game. No longer will he be dependent on trying to ride the coattails of McNabb (passing 70% of the time). With the lack of a solid defense and running game, Kolb may be forced to throw from behind alot in 2010. Bell should defintely help the running attack. However it goes down, the Eagles need to know that as they stand, they are barely a playoff team in 2010 because of the defense. At this juncture, they are not a playoff caliber team. This will be the case even after the draft. McNabb is not the problem, but trading him is part of the solving the other issues on the team. Done.

I'm getting the feeling that Andy will go after an interior lineman or CB with the first two picks. Thankfully, they can get first round talent with their second pick, so I don't think they need to reach to fill a need.

I am hoping and praying that Earl Thomas falls to them in the first round, Pouncey's still there in the second round, and a solid CB with size is there with the next pick. Fill three needs with talent, use the remaining picks for depths, including a pick for a QB they can develop into a long term back-up.

I see them getting Pouncey and Nate Allen.

Would LOVE to see them get Pouncey or Earl Thomas, but I don't think either of them will be there at #24. Pouncey will DEFINITELY not be there in the 2nd round in my opinion.

Most of the mock drafts I've seen have Pouncey going to the Steelers at #18 now. Earl Thomas has really shot up draft boards and could go as high as a top 10 pick now.

The guys I think that could be available to the Eagles and seem to be a fit, would be Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State or Kareem Jackson, CB, Alabama. I don't think either of the top 2 safeties or either of the top 2 interior offensive lineman (Pouncey and Iupati) will make it to the Eagles, but there is always hope that they will. I don't have a problem with them taking the best cornerback on the board with their first round pick though, if that is what is available to them.

Would LOVE to see them get Pouncey or Earl Thomas, but I don't think either of them will be there at #24. Pouncey will DEFINITELY not be there in the 2nd round in my opinion.

Most of the mock drafts I've seen have Pouncey going to the Steelers at #18 now. Earl Thomas has really shot up draft boards and could go as high as a top 10 pick now.

The guys I think that could be available to the Eagles and seem to be a fit, would be Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State or Kareem Jackson, CB, Alabama. I don't think either of the top 2 safeties or either of the top 2 interior offensive lineman (Pouncey and Iupati) will make it to the Eagles, but there is always hope that they will. I don't have a problem with them taking the best cornerback on the board with their first round pick though, if that is what is available to them.

I'm fine with either Wilson or Jackson. As I said, Nate Allen is also a viable option in the 2nd round at safety.

Not to get off the subject, but if I had the opportunity to sign a RFA with no compensation to his previous team, I'd be all over David Hawthorne from Seattle. They could overpay to get him. He's young, he's a tackling machine, he's a guy who can play MLB for the next 4-6 years. He would also allow the Eagles to move Bradley out to the SAM, and Jordan over to WILL.

Seattle' already paying thru the nose for three other LB's on the roster, so overpaying for Hawthorne would draw a match offer from Seattle.

I think the Eagles biggest needs right now are C/OG, FS, and LB.

They have a lot of secondary needs but the big ones are depth at CB and DT. An upgrade at DE would be nice but there's really no single blue chip prospect in this draft and a lot of the guys who they could take at #24 are IMO high-risk, high-reward types and not worth it. I would hate Dunlap at 24, for example. There isn't a single DE in the draft worth trading up for.

Considering all their picks, the Eagles should be able to at least address 2 of their primary needs on the first day of the draft. I'd love Iupati at 24 but I have a feeling he'll be gone. I'm less jazzed about Pouncey but he can play center or guard and fills a need.

Ideally, I'd love for Philly to draft Kyle Wilson in the 1st and FS Nate Allen or Chad Jones in the 2nd. Taylor Mays might slip right out of the first, two. I also wouldn't be disappointed if they end up with Sean Weatherspoon or Sergio Kindle in the 1st, although drafting a LB that high would be very out of character.

My #1 would be for Iupati to slide to 24. My worst case scenario is the Eagles trading a bunch of picks to move up and draft someone like Eric Berry. He's going to be a tremendous player but this team has so many needs, I'd be reluctant to deal very far up OR down.

They have a lot of secondary needs but the big ones are depth at CB and DT. An upgrade at DE would be nice but there's really no single blue chip prospect in this draft and a lot of the guys who they could take at #24 are IMO high-risk, high-reward types and not worth it. I would hate Dunlap at 24, for example. There isn't a single DE in the draft worth trading up for.

Considering all their picks, the Eagles should be able to at least address 2 of their primary needs on the first day of the draft. I'd love Iupati at 24 but I have a feeling he'll be gone. I'm less jazzed about Pouncey but he can play center or guard and fills a need.

Ideally, I'd love for Philly to draft Kyle Wilson in the 1st and FS Nate Allen or Chad Jones in the 2nd. Taylor Mays might slip right out of the first, two. I also wouldn't be disappointed if they end up with Sean Weatherspoon or Sergio Kindle in the 1st, although drafting a LB that high would be very out of character.

My #1 would be for Iupati to slide to 24. My worst case scenario is the Eagles trading a bunch of picks to move up and draft someone like Eric Berry. He's going to be a tremendous player but this team has so many needs, I'd be reluctant to deal very far up OR down.

Good thoughts. I'd say CB is right up there on their biggest needs list also. I'm not a huge Asante Samuel fan though either, and don't think Hobbs and Hanson are definite answers on the other side of the field. I'd be very happy, and also think they can realistically end up with Kareem Jackson and Nate Allen with their first two picks. I like Jackson better than Wilson, and actually think Jackson should be pushing Joe Haden for the first CB taken.

Iupati and Pouncey would both be very nice options, but like you said, it's unlikely either of them make it to #24. I do not like taking a LB in the first round. I think LB is a position of depth in this draft, and a guy like Navarro Bowman for example, could now be available in the last 2nd or 3rd round.

Trading up for Eric Berry really isn't an option. To go from the #24 to #6 pick or so (where Berry will likely go), would take at least both their 2nd round picks most likely. The Eagles are not going to do that.

There is zero reason for them to reach and draft for a need, because like it's been said, there are too many needs to fill. Fortunately, there is alot of talent to be had, and like you, I don't think Eric Berry isn't worth the price to move up.