Sign in to follow this  
MDC

80s punk, hardcore, thrash ...

I know bigtuna and some other geeks here know a lot about music. I've been listening to a lot of 80s punk / hardcore and looking for some recommendations. I've been listening to Minor Threat, Operation Ivy, Agent Orange, Gorilla Biscuits, Anthrax, Sick of it All, etc. Any suggestions along those lines?

Thanks. :dunno:

Cro-Mags, The Age of Quarrel

Mike Patton from TOMAHAWK/FAITH NO MORE/FANTOMAS who once told me, "Cro-Mags changed my life. I didn't take AGE OF QUARREL out of my tape deck for three years, it was all I listened to." In 1993, at the Scrap Bar in NYC, Layne Staley screamed in my ear "Focking Cro-Mags man! We gotta jam. I focking love Cro-Mags! Everybody in Seattle listened to Cro-Mags. Cro-Mags were our Led Zeppelin." The list of noteworthy Cro-Mags fans is long including: RANCID, FOO FIGHTERS, RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE, MACHINE HEAD, PANTERA, ROB HALFORD, MACHINE HEAD, SOD, C.O.C, SEPULTURA ,METALLICA, and KORN. Rob Zombie is quoted in Rolling Stone Magazine as saying "Cro-Mags were way ahead of their time. If they came out today they'd be bigger than Metallica!" Kerrang Magazine included Cro-Mags "We Gotta Know" in their list of 100 greatest riffs of all time list. REVOLVER Magazine recently listed Cro-Mags in their 100 most important punk bands, in good company with BAD BRAINS, CIRCLE JERKS and DISCHARGE. Though their order of appearance made little sense to me. We were #22. At least we were ahead of BLINK 182.

~Parris Mayhew~

You have to get you some Big Boys.

The best would be to get The Fat Elvis, a collection of their last three albums, including an EP called "Fun, Fun, Fun."

Dead Kennedy's "Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables" is a classic.

If you can find any Scratch Acid, that would be great. "Just Keep Eating" is one of their great albums.

Husker Du's "Zen Arcade" and "New Day Rising" are must-haves.

A more mellower, poppy thing you might like is Doctor's Mob. There's a CD out there that has everything on it. I think it's called "Last One In The Van Drives."

Early 1980s Buttthole Surfers rules.

Also, get you some Black Flag and Germs for good measure.

Another great one is Fear's first album, called "Fear: The Record."

There's some focking funny shite on that one, and the CD has a bonus track called "Fock Christmas."

Their second album, "More Beer," didn't get much attention, but I love that one as well.

Of course, I'm sure I don't need to tell you about any Replacements. The early Soul Asylum stuff, like "Made to be Broken," "Hang Time" and "The Horse They Rode In On" are fantastic.

"Hang Time" is my favorite, if you can find it. I think it's out of print. I only have it on album.

7 Seconds

D.R.I.

Misfits

Adolescents

The Decendants

Thanks guys, lot of good suggestions in this thread and a lot of stuff I like. Can I get a best album from: Agnostic Front, Anthrax (I have Among the Living and Attack of the Killer Bs), Cro-Mags, 7 Seconds (I have The Crew), or Sick of It All (I have the self-titled debut)?

Thanks again. A lot of geeks have greta taste in music. :music_guitarred:

Thanks guys, lot of good suggestions in this thread and a lot of stuff I like. Can I get a best album from: Agnostic Front, Anthrax (I have Among the Living and Attack of the Killer Bs), Cro-Mags, 7 Seconds (I have The Crew), or Sick of It All (I have the self-titled debut)?

Thanks again. A lot of geeks have greta taste in music. :music_guitarred:

Cro-Mags, The Age of Quarrel...don't bother with any of their other albums.

For Sick of it All I would go with Built to Last. So many albums though, so others may have different opinions.

For Sick of it All I would go with Built to Last. So many albums though, so others may have different opinions.

Thanks man.

I have zero from Agnostic Front and would really like a recommendation on them. I've heard Live at CBGB's and it's pretty solid. Any ideas?